Old Town Loon 100, 120, or 138 Kayaks

Wilke Nelson

Feb 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/28/99
Does anyone have any comments about Old Town recreational kayaks. I
might be getting one and wonder what others think about them. I would
mainly be kayaking on flat water - quiet rivers or Chesapeake Bay
creeks/marshes etc.

Thanks

Chicago Paddling-Fishing

Feb 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/28/99
Wilke Nelson (we...@erols.com) wrote:
: Does anyone have any comments about Old Town recreational kayaks. I

: Thanks

From one Nelson to another... I have a Loon I (now called the Loon 138)
I've taken it everywhere that isn't whitewater and it does just fine.
(It lives on my roof in the summertime). It's alittle heavy and sometimes
the spray skirt is a pain (note: the Old Town skirts weren't available at
the time, so I'm using a Pungo skirt on it), but it's a nice all around boat
for slow rivers and lakes.

--
John Nelson
Chicago Area Paddling/Fishing Page: http://www.chicagopaddling.com

Chris Barber

Feb 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/28/99
Wilke Nelson wrote:

> Does anyone have any comments about Old Town recreational kayaks. I
> might be getting one and wonder what others think about them. I would
> mainly be kayaking on flat water - quiet rivers or Chesapeake Bay
> creeks/marshes etc.

Didn't know there was a Loon 100. The 138 is a neat boat for casual
paddling on quiet water. It's an extremely stable boat and good
for photography or fishing. It's also relatively fast and responsive
for a rec. boat. The molded seat has a high back that's great for
lounging around on a lazy day. My problem with the seat is that
it's about 3" higher than the bottom of my PFD, and nearly impossible
to wear a spray skirt w/ PFD. So if you're considering using the
Loon in any rough water (which it doesn't handle too well in anyway),
I'd suggest replacing the seat back with a backband.

But for quiet water and relaxing paddling, the Loon's been good
to me. It's got lots of space for stuff for day trips or overnites,
and it really takes some effort to dump one over.

Chris

Gary Pagac

Feb 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/28/99
On Sun, 28 Feb 1999 11:34:30 -0500, Wilke Nelson <we...@erols.com>
wrote:

>Does anyone have any comments about Old Town recreational kayaks. I
>might be getting one and wonder what others think about them. I would
>mainly be kayaking on flat water - quiet rivers or Chesapeake Bay
>creeks/marshes etc.

Hello -- isn't the 138 a tandem 2-seat kayak? Or at least the 138T is
definately tandem. These are good boats, compared to their main
competitor:the Aquaterra Keowee series. I've also seen a number of
people on the river with these Loons and no spray skirt. All's it
takes is one good swell or wave to swamp the boat. While i'm not
familiar with Chesapeake Bay, these Loons are okay for class 1+ or 2-
water...in my opinion anyway.

One definition of class 2 water is:

"Easy rapids with waves up to three feet, with wide clear channels
that are obvious without scouting. Some maneuvering required."

Hope that helps.

Wilke Nelson

Feb 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/28/99
thanks a lot. I appreciate it.

Chicago Paddling-Fishing wrote:

> Wilke Nelson (we...@erols.com) wrote:
> : Does anyone have any comments about Old Town recreational kayaks. I
> : might be getting one and wonder what others think about them. I would
> : mainly be kayaking on flat water - quiet rivers or Chesapeake Bay
> : creeks/marshes etc.

John Fereira

Mar 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/1/99
In article <36d98294...@news.nextdim.com>, gpa...@nextdim.com (Gary Pagac) wrote:
>On Sun, 28 Feb 1999 11:34:30 -0500, Wilke Nelson <we...@erols.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Does anyone have any comments about Old Town recreational kayaks. I
>>might be getting one and wonder what others think about them. I would
>>mainly be kayaking on flat water - quiet rivers or Chesapeake Bay
>>creeks/marshes etc.
>
>Hello -- isn't the 138 a tandem 2-seat kayak? Or at least the 138T is
>definately tandem. These are good boats, compared to their main
>competitor:the Aquaterra Keowee series.

That's not really a valid comparison.

The Old Town 138 and 138T are indeed different models. Both are 13'8"
and 29" wide. The cockpit on the 138T is bigger.

One "might" compare the 138T with a Keowee II at (12'10" long, 32" wide)
but comparing the 138 to the single Keowee (at 9'3" long, 29" wide) is
a bit unfair. The single Keowee compares statistically a lot closer
to to the Old Town Otter DL. If you're going to compare the Old Town
138 to a Perception/Aquaterra boat compare it to the Spectrum, Acadia
or Carolina. The stats of those boats are a lot closer.

> I've also seen a number of
>people on the river with these Loons and no spray skirt. All's it
>takes is one good swell or wave to swamp the boat. While i'm not
>familiar with Chesapeake Bay, these Loons are okay for class 1+ or 2-
>water...in my opinion anyway.
>
>One definition of class 2 water is:
>
>"Easy rapids with waves up to three feet, with wide clear channels
>that are obvious without scouting. Some maneuvering required."
>
>Hope that helps.

John Fereira
ja...@cornell.edu

Stop Unsolicited Commercial Email - Join CAUCE (http://www.cauce.org)
Support HR 1748, the anti-spam bill.

AVIDFLYER

Mar 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/8/99
I have a 12ft OT Loon and love it. very stable. paddles well even on rough
lake. cockpit is a little tight getting it but it is a dry boat without a
spray skirt for the lakes.
I use it mainly on big lakes or ocean harbors in Maine.
Visit my home pages http://hometown.aol.com/AVIDFLYER/index.html
http://hometown.aol.com/barptwaves/index.html