Does anyone know this boat 'Lotus' of Dering Harbour NY

Justin C

Jan 2, 2010, 6:08:13 PM1/2/10
There's a boat in the local marina (Sovereign Harbour, Eastbourne, UK)
that's an overseas visitor. The stern says Lotus Dering Harbour NY. I've
Googled and can't find her (I didn't expect I would, we're not all
Google-able). I was wondering what she is, she's very pretty.

From what I could make out she's 55 feet long (it looked like it said 55
in the name on the rear quarter of each side) I couldn't get close
enough to read the actual name, the numbers were slightly larger than
the rest of the name. The bow markings were two plain dashes -
continuations of the line along the side of the hull, each about 6"
long.

She looks like a Trintella 1a, though much longer, in that the roof is
stepped. She has a lovely sweep to the bow and is very narrow. There's a
nice overhang at the stern and the transom faces upward like a Rival 34.
The rig (IIRC) is fractional, bermudan sloop. I'd tell you what colour
she was except I'm colour blind! I'd say off-white, but not Island
Packet.

She looks like a fast boat, tall mast, and I bet she heels somewhat. Any
help identifying her will be gratefully received.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

Bruce In Bangkok

Jan 2, 2010, 8:07:42 PM1/2/10
On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 23:08:13 +0000, Justin C
<justi...@purestblue.com> wrote:

>There's a boat in the local marina (Sovereign Harbour, Eastbourne, UK)
>that's an overseas visitor. The stern says Lotus Dering Harbour NY. I've
>Googled and can't find her (I didn't expect I would, we're not all
>Google-able). I was wondering what she is, she's very pretty.

There is a "Dering Harbor, New York" so if you have interposed some
British spelling that is the hailing port which makes it the "Lotus"
hailing from Dering Harbor, New York, USA.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

sa...@dog.com

Jan 2, 2010, 8:07:30 PM1/2/10
On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 23:08:13 +0000, Justin C
<justi...@purestblue.com> wrote:

Dering Harbor is a small harbor on the north end of Shelter Island,
New York. That boat doesn't sound familiar to me.

Wayne.B

Jan 2, 2010, 11:40:48 PM1/2/10
<justi...@purestblue.com> wrote:

>She looks like a fast boat, tall mast, and I bet she heels somewhat. Any
>help identifying her will be gratefully received.

There is nothing in the USCG dabase with that name and hailing port.
I did find this one however which sounds like it might be close to
your description:

<http://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/pls/webpls/cgv_pkg.vessel_id_list?vessel_id_in=617263>

The hailing port of Huntington, NY is about 50 miles from Dering
Harbor.

Justin C

Jan 3, 2010, 3:22:56 AM1/3/10

As you and Bruce spotted, yes I stuck a 'u' in the word harbor (so
difficult not to!). That link is most likely correct, beam 9.8 ft, she's
very narrow for her length (52.5ft). The USCG site says "ship builder:
unknown". That's disappointing.

Interestingly, putting the previous owners name into Google, as I'm
typing, his name is auto-completed! (Now, he gets kudos for that!).
Wikipedia has never heard of him, though... and, of course I don't even
know if it's the same one.

OK, previous owner, Douglas Tausik lives, or has lived in NY, another
web-site that links from that name says he works in Brooklyn. That
narrows it down (possibly). Another Google search hit was to
importgenius.com which appears to detail the import/export activity of
people or companies, and that says that in 2006 he imported a Nordhavn
62 (though they spell it with an E - see, it's not just us Brits who put
letters where others don't expect them!), and it gives an address for
him - I sound like a stalker!

I think it quite possible that the sculptor Douglas Tausik (as opposed
to any other Douglas Tausik) *was* the previous owner of Lotus (formerly
Bellkite). That still doesn't tell me what it is, maybe I should just go
and hang around the yacht club and listen for American accents!

Thank you for you help. Maybe some of the above info will ring a bell
with someone somewhere.

Bruce In Bangkok

Jan 3, 2010, 6:25:58 AM1/3/10
On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 08:22:56 +0000, Justin C
<justi...@purestblue.com> wrote:

If the local marina you mention is anything like the ones over here
they have a complete description of the owner/captain; phone numbers,
e-mail, etc. See whether they would pass a message on to the owners
for you - (you can imply that you want to buy the boat and the Marina
bloke will probably see to it that the owner gets back to you :-)