experience with Engel MT45F 12v freezer?

val189

Nov 13, 2001, 5:18:38 PM11/13/01
Hi all-
I am thinking of purchasing this unit for use in Florida on my
sailboat. Anyone have any pros and cons on this unit? e.g. power
consumption, temperature holding capability.

TIA,
George
S/V Penguin

w4...@home.com

Nov 13, 2001, 6:58:32 PM11/13/01
WOW...popular unit! ONE website comes up on EIGHT search engines! No
dealers?? No SERVICE??!!

http://www.portable-engel-chescold-more.com.au/comments.htm

Klaus

Nov 13, 2001, 10:19:26 PM11/13/01
Check what type of compressor it has. If its the 'swing' oscillating
type which my Engel car fridge has, I was disappointed on the power
requirement side when I used it on my boat.
These swing compressors appear to become much less efficient if your
battery voltage drops, mine seems to be running continuously on hot
days. No problem with a motor charging up the batteries but a nuisance
if you want to enjoy a quiet anchorage.
You are better off with rotary compressor units designed for use on
boats.
FWIW,
Klaus

w4...@home.com

Nov 14, 2001, 12:30:17 AM11/14/01
I'm sure, with a draw of 3A, that it's GOT to be a swing compressor.
No motor is going to pump freon on 36 watts. I have a little Norcold
bar fridge next to my computer (used only for iced tea, of course).
It draws 40W from its "vibrator" compressor using R-12 gas. The
compressor runs on 40VAC from a little transformer permanently hooked
to the AC line. To sell it in Japan, they just change the
transformer.

The DC model only has to have an interrupter or switching power
supply. Small motor-driven compressors, much more capacity, draw
100-200W. That would really kill a battery!

larry

On Wed, 14 Nov 2001 11:19:26 +0800, Klaus <K.Suss...@curtin.edu.au>

Doug Dotson

Nov 14, 2001, 9:39:27 AM11/14/01
Not familiar with this brand. What technology is it using?

doug

Doug Dotson

Nov 14, 2001, 9:47:19 AM11/14/01
Depends upon duty cycle. My fridge draws 550W.
Doesn't kill my batteries.

doug

w4...@home.com

Nov 14, 2001, 5:30:43 PM11/14/01
On Wed, 14 Nov 2001 09:39:27 -0500, Doug Dotson <ddo...@digidata.com>
wrote:

>Not familiar with this brand. What technology is it using?
>
>doug

The ONE webpage it has doesn't really say much about the technology of
it. The fridges look like they are made for the Outback of Oz to run
off the Land Cruiser's engine or a trucker's monster battery supply in
the tractor-trailer-trailer-trailer.

I assume they are the "swing-type" vibrator compressor and R-12
refridgerant, which might explain their lack of any USA
sales/dealers/etc. being banned by the stupid EPA. We quit makin R-12
and the ozone hole (caused by the solar activity not any human doings)
got bigger. It's as stupid as putting MTBE in the fuel to kill off
the lakes.

I posted the webpage in the other post.
larry

Richard Kollmann

Nov 14, 2001, 6:17:59 PM11/14/01
If you were at the SSCA meeting last weekend my presentation was on
the efficiency of 12 volt boat refrigeration. The ENGEL 45 is a well
designed refrigerator It is not the solution for all boats but it may
provide an alternative for many boaters.
Think of this:
#1 Performance equal to any 12-volt with equal insulation
#2 Low cost
#3 Can be used as cooler, refrigerator or freezer
#4 No installation cost

No, I dont sell ENGEL products I sell only my book

Richard Kollmann

Nov 28, 2001, 9:49:44 PM11/28/01
After seeing the post on Engel refrigeration. I ran the following
tests on the Engel 45 Refrigerator/Feezer.
If you would like more information go to "Evaluating Reefer Claims" on
my web site.
http://www.Kollmann-marine.com

24 Hour Performance Tests of Engel 45 Refrigerator / Freezer.

Test Thermostat setting AC or DC Total Amp-hrs. Avg.ampDraw Box Temp
172 cooler DC 10.8 0.45 46.9
171 Refrigerator #1 DC 16.1 0.67 40
168 Between #1 and #2 DC 21.8 0.91 34.7
167 Slightly less than #2 AC 28.8
170 High temp Freezer 1 1/4DC 35.3 2.87 21.2
169 Low temp Freezer #5 DC 57.5 2.56 -2.65

Paul Kabalin

Dec 3, 2001, 12:19:41 PM12/3/01
ric...@kollmann-marine.com (Richard Kollmann) wrote in message news:<b8526441.01112...@posting.google.com>...

We are the Engel agents in the USA.

Our units all run off 134A gas and use the 'swing' compressors - made
in Japan - not Australia.

The latest compressors (32 Watts I believe) - launched 3 months ago
use a max of 2.5 Amps to freeze below zero degrees F. They use less
than 0.7 Amps to refrigerate!

Paul Kabalin
Innovative Marketing & Distribution Inc.
22780 Marbella Circle
Boca Raton, FL 33433
www.engel-usa.com/engel

Tel: 561 361 7408