So I assume someday BSA BB are gone right?

mcle...@comcast.net

May 25, 2015, 6:39:41 PM5/25/15
Seems you just cannot find in a road bike any big manufactures making
standard BSA BB. This tells me that I am either getting to be an old timer
because the BSA as still the best stuff for working bikes even crazy roadies
who need everything new and lighter. Will these just die out and I have to
get used to it of is there hope. If not then do I make a frame purchase to
have on on hand for future time.....................the question of the the
day, now mind you I still prefer carbon but maybe it is steel to Ti.

Deacon Mark Cleary

avag...@gmail.com

May 25, 2015, 7:37:28 PM5/25/15
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

I'll light a candle

AMuzi

May 26, 2015, 8:43:18 AM5/26/15
At the risk of being pedantic, it's British Standard for
Cycles, BSC = 1.370" x 24t

There are a gazillion formats right now, more than ever. The
man who knows which will be dominant in ten years ought to
take up poker or lotto as a career.

That said, they all work[1] and so you have two paths;
choose a model with BSC threads and move your old crank to
it or choose a new frame based on fit, geometry, weight,
price, aesthetic, racing history, recommendations from
friends or 'experts' and/or your personal prejudices[2]
and, if all that leads to a non-BSC frame, then just fit the
matching crank and crank bearing.

[1] Really. If anyone thinks a press-in formats of 46 or
41mm diameter, or 68 versus 86mm width are clearly superior
to the others, I'll listen.

[2] Despite claims of rational winnowing of data, my
experience leads me to believe a lot of new bike selection
is more emotional.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

avag...@gmail.com

May 26, 2015, 8:59:50 AM5/26/15

the mind bogg,,,blows fuse.

there are 2 choices....buy from a leading 'brand' name ( mooo) or buy the leading couture brand ( phooot )

let the marker sot out your problems.

trick is buying after market winnowing but before the tooling wears out

Andre Jute

May 26, 2015, 10:40:50 AM5/26/15
On Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 1:43:18 PM UTC+1, AMuzi wrote:

> [1] Really. If anyone thinks a press-in formats of 46 or
> 41mm diameter, or 68 versus 86mm width are clearly superior
> to the others, I'll listen.

As a connoisseur of human folly, I like reading about the great future of new bottom bracket standards. BB30, external bearings that don't last as long as internal bearings, proprietary toothed axles, a huge list of crap that is compromised and heading for obsolescence almost before it hits the shelves.

I fit only standard bottom brackets that take square taper axles. Nothing wrong with them that needs improvement except the low profit margin and wide availability of choice in the aftermarket. They just flat work.

Andre Jute

jbeattie

May 26, 2015, 11:38:34 AM5/26/15
I think there are some manufacturers that are already retreating to threaded BB shells (e.g. Orbea with its hydroformed al MTB). The good part is that if you have a BB30 (or something like it), there are a lot of adapters available.

-- Jay Beattie.

sms

May 26, 2015, 1:28:48 PM5/26/15
On 5/26/2015 8:38 AM, jbeattie wrote:

> I think there are some manufacturers that are already retreating to threaded BB shells (e.g. Orbea with its hydroformed al MTB). The good part is that if you have a BB30 (or something like it), there are a lot of adapters available.

Press-fit saves manufacturing cost of the BB which is the driving
factor. "You can always tighten a thread; you can't do that with this
system," said Park Tool's bike mechanic guru Calvin Jones. "The issue is
that the industry is figuring this out as they go along. It's a race to
the bottom. Let's just come out and say it – it's cheap to make."

Of course, like many forms of cost-saving decontenting over the years,
it is promoted with illusory advantages.

Good article at
<http://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/gear/article/angryasian-ive-had-it-with-press-fit-bottom-brackets-38220/>

Tim McNamara

May 26, 2015, 3:34:00 PM5/26/15
I am having a custom frame made and am looking at various component
options. I am not at all familiar with the new BB designs; the last
time I got a new bike the splined ISIS BB was the hot new thing (so that
gives you my time reference).

All the new cranks seem to be something other than the old BB shell
design. Do they work with the old BB shells or would I have to roll the
dice on which of the new designs are going to stick around?

Of course I can still buy an old crank & BB. My favorite crank ever was
the Ritchey Logic 110/74. Nice tight Q factor rather than the modern
day birthing chairs that most cranks seem to be modeled after. I've got
the Ritchey on several bikes with a Q of 140 mm- my tandem came with
Shimano cranks and the Q is nearly 180 mm! WTF?!? My knees are killing
me by the end of the ride...
Message has been deleted