Acrylic vs polyester socks: Whats the diff?

m...@privacy.net

May 15, 2010, 4:15:44 PM5/15/10
Some cycling socks are made of acrylic....some of
polyester.

What's the advantages and disadvantages of either
material for cycling socks?

Please don't advise wool....the question is abt these
two synthetics.

Thanks

thirty-six

May 15, 2010, 6:38:51 PM5/15/10

Polyester fleece is certainly warmer than acrylic fleece. Acrylic is
known to have good wear properties for socks, but this is not an issue
with well fitting cycling shoes. Acrylic jersey does not feel cold
when wet, polyester can. So if you ride in the rain and dont wear
boots or spats then acrylic is probably the better option. I use
something that comes off a sheep's body generally. When I do wear
acrylic, sometimes it can be abrasive, polyester is generally finer
and doesn't cause this trouble. So I think the better option is
acrylic as long as the fibre is soft.

kolldata

May 15, 2010, 11:20:57 PM5/15/10
the acrylic factory burned down.
Acrylic socks are hard to find. Campmor has ac-cotton as warm weather
thick hiking or gym socks.
all else is polyester which as as you know off course: VECTRAN
please feed the monkey
I am sold on Columbia Expedition and Hiking wool socks found at
Campmor...these socks have wide acceptance and believe it or use !
Using Goretex boots with (chinese) wool....
the AC-Cotton stinks like cat piss requiring prewash in isopropyl CHOH

kolldata

May 15, 2010, 11:22:33 PM5/15/10
AC is coarser than most poly weaves...I offer that as a possible
expalination for choosing so try a feely when you can

m...@privacy.net

May 17, 2010, 12:36:03 PM5/17/10
kolldata <data...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>AC is coarser than most poly weaves...I offer that as a possible
>expalination for choosing so try a feely when you can

Good point

I've actually been trying out the Walmart Starter Dri
sock. Price is cheap at 3 pair for $4 and they come in
gray, black, or white with minimal graphics. Also come
in crew length as well as ankle. Made of nylon and
polyester. Not bad at all so far!

However, I see Starter also has the acrylic version as
well

AMuzi

May 17, 2010, 9:26:07 PM5/17/10

m...@privacy.net wrote:
> Good point
> I've actually been trying out the Walmart Starter Dri
> sock. Price is cheap at 3 pair for $4 and they come in
> gray, black, or white with minimal graphics. Also come
> in crew length as well as ankle. Made of nylon and
> polyester. Not bad at all so far!
> However, I see Starter also has the acrylic version as
> well

"gray, black, or white with minimal graphics"

in other words, boring. Live a little!

http://www.sockguy.com/TaxesSuck.html

Personally, I'm wearing little angels with pink halos today.
YMMV.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Tom Sherman °_°

May 17, 2010, 9:41:45 PM5/17/10
On 5/17/2010 8:26 PM, A. Muzi wrote:
>> kolldata <data...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> AC is coarser than most poly weaves...I offer that as a possible
>>> expalination for choosing so try a feely when you can
>
> m...@privacy.net wrote:
>> Good point
>> I've actually been trying out the Walmart Starter Dri
>> sock. Price is cheap at 3 pair for $4 and they come in
>> gray, black, or white with minimal graphics. Also come
>> in crew length as well as ankle. Made of nylon and
>> polyester. Not bad at all so far!
>> However, I see Starter also has the acrylic version as
>> well
>
> "gray, black, or white with minimal graphics"
>
> in other words, boring. Live a little!
>
> http://www.sockguy.com/TaxesSuck.html

Do they have "�EL PUEBLO UNIDO JAM�S SER� VENCIDO!" socks?

> Personally, I'm wearing little angels with pink halos today. YMMV.

With black wingtips?

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007

AMuzi

May 17, 2010, 9:49:49 PM5/17/10

> With black wingtips?

Robot translator says:
"THE UNITED TOWN NEVER WILL BE OVERCOME"
huh?

Not wingers but, yes, black leather dress shoes.

Tom Sherman °_°

May 17, 2010, 10:05:23 PM5/17/10
On 5/17/2010 8:49 PM, A. Muzi wrote:
> Tom Sherman �_� wrote:

>>> "gray, black, or white with minimal graphics"
>>>
>>> in other words, boring. Live a little!
>>>
>>> http://www.sockguy.com/TaxesSuck.html
>>>
>> Do they have "�EL PUEBLO UNIDO JAM�S SER� VENCIDO!" socks?
>>
>>> Personally, I'm wearing little angels with pink halos today. YMMV.
>
>> With black wingtips?
>
> Robot translator says:
> "THE UNITED TOWN NEVER WILL BE OVERCOME"
> huh?

THE PEOPLE UNITED WILL NEVER BE DEFEATED!

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F_9FEx7ymg>

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007