Florida is 'Ground Zero' for sea level rise

His Highness the Wise TibetanMonkey, Most Humble Philosopher

Apr 23, 2014, 3:32:55 AM4/23/14
On Wednesday, April 23, 2014 1:18:03 AM UTC-4, Wise TibetanMonkey, Most Humble Philosopher wrote:
> (Though this may sound too far a threat for Asia, may I remind everyone that the sea rises more or less for everybody)
>

> Miami Beach (United States) (AFP) - Warm sunshine and sandy beaches make south Florida and its crown city, Miami, a haven for tourists, but the area is increasingly endangered by sea level rise, experts said Tuesday.
>

> During a special Senate hearing held in Miami Beach, Senator Bill Nelson described south Florida as "Ground Zero" for climate change and its threats to coastal communities.
>

> http://news.yahoo.com/florida-ground-zero-sea-level-rise-194937074.html
>

> ***
>

> And they keep building, every square inch available. Real estate is booming, may I say exploding. It's like all the oligarchs of the world are choosing to live at ground zero. You all know what's going to happen when a category 5 hurricane hits, right? One good thing about Mother Nature is that she doesn't get mad, she gets even.
>

> I get mad sometimes because I can't get even, but that's bad for your health.

> http://thetibetanmonkey.tumblr.com

Of all places in the world, one place where you shouldn't mention "climate change" is Miami. They would think you are funny or weird. People ask you, "Why do you ride a bike?" Then you know you have to go to Colorado or Oregon.

Wise TibetanMonkey, Most Humble P

Apr 23, 2014, 11:22:17 AM4/23/14
SOMEONE SAYS:

But you forgot the real reasons: a) budget/funding; b) politics (closely related).

I think this is a perfect example of appropriate spending in reaction to man-made climate change: protecting ourselves from the worst of what Mother Nature can deliver.

***

MY WISE YET PRACTICAL WISDOM:

I think the wisest approach is that of the Dutch: Build dams and ride bikes!

The American approach may be called the "ostrich approach." Not an ounce of prevention, I don't want to hear about it.

Apr 23, 2014, 12:12:59 PM4/23/14

You can mingle with people on a beach same as on a street in Manhattan. What is it that you're "against" in this thread? Do you just hate people who buy property near sand? You just hate rich people in general? What is it that you're opposed to?

MY VERY HUMBLE REPLY:

Yes, let me acknowledge something: I have my own vendetta.

The other day I was riding a bike and came upon this SUV parked squarely on the sidewalk. I told the two "big shots" who were casually talking next to it (obviously connected with the construction of this high rise) and they humiliated me in the worst possible way. One screaming at me, the other putting me down.

"V is for Vendetta!"

I love Manhattan though because the mighty mingle with the humble.

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Apr 23, 2014, 7:30:22 PM4/23/14

Apr 23, 2014, 11:53:26 PM4/23/14
SOMEONE BLAMES AL GORE:

Taxpayer funding. If you eliminate the AGW hoax, thousands of taxpayer funded scientists lose their jobs. And the elites like Al Gore have made millions (or probably billions) from the AGW scam.

MY REPLY:

What have you funded? You didn't even plug the levies in New Orleans.

Catastrophes are good for business. Much bigger than prevention.

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Apr 24, 2014, 7:38:22 AM4/24/14

Apr 24, 2014, 11:19:43 AM4/24/14
SOMEONE QUESTIONS:

Lets play the silly game of "what if the Monkey is right" shall we?

So lets say for arguments sake the most dire global warming predictions are right and we massive warming that displaces an estimated half a billion people....

You do realize that every degree of warming pushes the warmer zones toward the poles by several hundred miles right? it actually improves the growing season which means MORE FOOD...

Oh and guess what, there is MORE land going north toward the arctic than any place else, so the worst case scenario will actually free up millions of acres of land for growing crops that right now cant because it is too cold.

even the worst case scenarios have good outcomes.

***

MY WISE ANSWER:

It's not like the people of Denmark will enjoy nice beaches. It's like the already hot places will face unbearable temperatures. At the same desertification and unpredictable weather will make agriculture more of a gamble. Last but not least overpopulation will compound all those factors.

And what "big sacrifice" we have to make? Turning toward simple solutions like the bike. It's both healthy and fun. It could be smaller cars. It could be solar energy. Smart nations are already leading in these technologies while we turn to more oil. Now they can deliver more oil with new technologies, namely fracking.

It's a gamble we play with the life --quality of life-- of future generations.