pseudologica fantastica

Peter Howard

Feb 2, 2008, 6:38:15 AM2/2/08
News item below.

I never knew there was a name for Jute's psychiatric condition. Turns out
that not only has it got a name but Googling for "pseudologica fantastica"
turned up lots of references. Next thing you know there'll be a Christmas
television appeal for it hosted by Susan Sarandon and Sean Penn.

PH

From the Murdoch press at
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23146677-2,00.html

Compulsive liar jailed for cruel bikie con

By Katie Bice
February 02, 2008 01:00am
Article from Herald-Sun:

A DOMINEERING compulsive liar who extorted more than $120,000 from a family,
by conning them into believing they were under threat from bikies, was
jailed yesterday for at least 14 months.
Debra Bassani's outrageous lies terrified her de facto's family so much they
were on the run for 11 months.
They lived in caravans, removed a child from school, wouldn't go outside and
a man swam a river fully clothed to escape imaginary attackers.
Bassani, 39, told police: "I like to be in control."
She began spinning her lies in February 2006 when her de facto, Allan
Marriner, and his brothers, Jeffrey and Andrew, were about to sell their
dead grandmother's home.
She told them bikies had been renting the house, it had been raided by
police and the gang blamed the Marriners.
Bassani lied that her father, alias Fatboy Slim, was an elite detective who
could keep them safe if he was paid.
All up, the Marriners gave Bassani $126,180.
Some also quit their jobs, a child's epilepsy went untreated, fathers lived
away from their children and a family member spent up to $60,000 for his
life on the run.
Judge Susan Pullen said yesterday: "Your behaviour was totally outrageous."
Bassani, of Frankston, pleaded guilty to three counts of obtaining property
by deception, one of blackmail and five of stalking.
The court heard she was a narcissist who had "pseudologica fantastica", a
compulsion to create elaborate stories.
She was sentenced for a maximum of 35 months.

jim beam

Feb 2, 2008, 12:22:19 PM2/2/08

wasn't usenet /invented/ for people like this? don't they post "stress
relief" theories on r.b.t?

personally, i think the wrong person was jailed - it should have been
the idiots that believed that crap.

Ryan Cousineau

Feb 2, 2008, 12:34:35 PM2/2/08
In article <HCYoj.10170$421....@news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
"Peter Howard" <bbrov...@bbbigpond.net.au> wrote:

> News item below.
>
> I never knew there was a name for Jute's psychiatric condition. Turns out
> that not only has it got a name but Googling for "pseudologica fantastica"
> turned up lots of references. Next thing you know there'll be a Christmas
> television appeal for it hosted by Susan Sarandon and Sean Penn.
>
> PH
>
> From the Murdoch press at
> http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23146677-2,00.html
>
> Compulsive liar jailed for cruel bikie con
>
> By Katie Bice
> February 02, 2008 01:00am
> Article from Herald-Sun:
>
> A DOMINEERING compulsive liar who extorted more than $120,000 from a family,
> by conning them into believing they were under threat from bikies, was
> jailed yesterday for at least 14 months.
> Debra Bassani's outrageous lies terrified her de facto's family so much they
> were on the run for 11 months.

The most interesting thing about this story is that it introduced me to
"de facto" as an Aussie synonym for "common-law spouse." I suppose it's
not a substantially weirder phrase than "common-law," but it seems quite
drolly casual.

--
Ryan Cousineau rcou...@gmail.com http://www.wiredcola.com/

Werehatrack

Feb 2, 2008, 1:15:01 PM2/2/08

IMLE, Australians tend to be drolly casual in discussing a lot of
things that the rest of the world is overly formal or even
dysfunctionally in denial about.

Dan Burkhart

Feb 2, 2008, 1:45:53 PM2/2/08

Haven't met many Newfies, have ya?
Dan

--
Dan Burkhart

Werehatrack

Feb 2, 2008, 9:28:37 PM2/2/08
On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 05:45:53 +1100, Dan Burkhart
<Dan.Burkh...@no-mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> may have said:

>Werehatrack Wrote:
>> IMLE, Australians tend to be drolly casual in discussing a lot of
>> things that the rest of the world is overly formal or even
>> dysfunctionally in denial about.
>>
>> --
>> My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
>> Typoes are not a bug, they're a feature.
>> Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.
>
>Haven't met many Newfies, have ya?

Oh, a few, but not so many as the Ozzites. OTOH, it's sometimes hard
to tell that a given Canadian is (or isn't) a Newfie. But then, IME,
Canadians in general tend to be saner than USians anyway; the
gradation between non-Newfies and Newfies is probably less than that
between USians and Canadians...but unless I get a chance to find out,
I'd have to take your word for it.

Message has been deleted

Werehatrack

Feb 3, 2008, 1:03:21 PM2/3/08
On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 17:31:38 GMT, still just me
<wheeledB...@yahoo.com> may have said:

>On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 12:15:01 -0600, Werehatrack
><rau...@earthWEEDSlink.net> wrote:
>
>>>The most interesting thing about this story is that it introduced me to
>>>"de facto" as an Aussie synonym for "common-law spouse." I suppose it's
>>>not a substantially weirder phrase than "common-law," but it seems quite
>>>drolly casual.
>>
>>IMLE, Australians tend to be drolly casual in discussing a lot of
>>things that the rest of the world is overly formal or even
>>dysfunctionally in denial about.
>

>Are you saying they favor gay marriage?

I believe you're the one who brought up that precise subject. I did
not. I have no idea what the actual attitude is toward that in
Australia. My experience has been that they have fewer hangups in
general, however.

Tom Sherman

Feb 3, 2008, 3:18:33 PM2/3/08
still just me wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 12:15:01 -0600, Werehatrack
> <rau...@earthWEEDSlink.net> wrote:
>
>>> The most interesting thing about this story is that it introduced me to
>>> "de facto" as an Aussie synonym for "common-law spouse." I suppose it's
>>> not a substantially weirder phrase than "common-law," but it seems quite
>>> drolly casual.
>> IMLE, Australians tend to be drolly casual in discussing a lot of
>> things that the rest of the world is overly formal or even
>> dysfunctionally in denial about.
>
> Are you saying they favor gay marriage?

Marriage is supposed to be misery, not a gay time.

The use of the word "gay" as a synonym for "homosexual" offends me.

"And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people."
- A. Derleth

Thomas Marriner

Jan 31, 2015, 4:14:53 AM1/31/15
This **** deserved more than a token jail sentence. She suffered from no such thing she was an evil lying piece of work. When the chips were down she used a mental disorder to escape punishment.
When her IQ was tested for the trial it was found she had an iq of about 71. This THING could have 3 conversations at once, with a phone in each pocket and verbally to your face. I have an iQ of 140 and i cannot do that. A friend of mine in the top 1 percentile cannot either.
It was this IQ and her apparent mental condition that got her off an attempted murder charge among others.

All emotion aside i do understand mental illness. but the way the legal system in this country works it is more like a ticket to do what you like.

Do i get a shorter sentence if shoot her due to the schizophrenia i suffer because of her actions?. Does my cousin get a shorter one because he is epileptic?.
No using a mental condition to lessen your sentence is a joke.

John B. Slocomb

Jan 31, 2015, 6:22:17 AM1/31/15
I read both the original post and your response and I'm still confused
What is a "de facto". See "terrified her de facto's family", "when her
de facto"?
--
Cheers,

John B.

Peter Howard

Jan 31, 2015, 7:11:00 AM1/31/15
In Australia and NZ, "de facto" is a widely used colloquialism for a
member of a domestic partnership that exists between two persons of the
same or opposite sex without being formally recorded by civil or
religious authority. Wot they used to call living in sin. In such a de
facto relationship either partner can be referred to as so and so's de
facto.
PH

avag...@gmail.com

Jan 31, 2015, 8:45:20 AM1/31/15
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_legal_Latin_terms

recreatio technology habebat vehentem

Frank Krygowski

Jan 31, 2015, 6:42:29 PM1/31/15
Ah. IOW, a POSSLQ.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Thomas Marriner

Jan 31, 2015, 8:01:52 PM1/31/15

> I read both the original post and your response and I'm still confused
> What is a "de facto". See "terrified her de facto's family", "when her
> de facto"?
> --
> Cheers,
>
> John B.

She extorted money from my family. Her partner was my uncle but not married to her although they had two kids.
"de facto" her partner in a relationship but not recognized as a "marriage". But recognized by certain government departments as a relationship equal to a marriage.
Does that make any sense?

John B. Slocomb

Jan 31, 2015, 10:30:55 PM1/31/15
Interesting. I've noticed that Australians seem to speak a different
language then either USians or "English" seem to. "G'day mate! Throw
another cat on the barbie!", or "Bluey" who is actually "Redy" :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Tim McNamara

Feb 1, 2015, 11:44:16 PM2/1/15
Does which make any sense? She was your uncle's partner which makes her
part of the family. You might be mad at her for legitimate reasons, but
she was still part of the family by your uncle's choice. Whether or not
they were married has nothing to do with it.

Sir Ridesalot

Feb 1, 2015, 11:55:21 PM2/1/15
Makes as much sense as reviving a thread from 2008 does.

Cheers

Andre Jute

Feb 13, 2015, 7:58:24 PM2/13/15
Hey, you provincial pissant peasant, Anonymous Blue Heeler/Mark Harriss/Peter Howard, what have I got to do with your foolish obsession with crawling into the arse of the famous or the notorious? You know, if you weren't stupid enough repeatedly to mention my name in irrelevant contexts in the hope that association with someone of greater achievement than yours will raise your non-existent profile, your already fragile self-confidence wouldn't be further undermined. Christ, I wouldn't even notice a zero-talent, zero-achiever, zero-contributor like you.

Andre Jute
Bored with this wretched little man Anonymous Blue Heeler/Mark Harriss/Peter Howard after twenty years of laughing at the antics of such a paradigm of worthlessness. Isn't there a single netstalker with some bottom?

Here's the little wanker's post in full; nothing more from me.
Message has been deleted

Andre Jute

Feb 13, 2015, 11:37:13 PM2/13/15
Copied so that this foolish little man Anonymous Blue Heeler/Mark Harriss/Peter Howard's vomitings stay on the record so that he can't lie about them later. Nothing further from me in this post. -- Andre Jute