rubber grips - too sticky

crowizcom

Oct 11, 2009, 2:29:57 PM10/11/09
i just get a bike (Giant Fusion) and while rest of bike seems fine
(second hand) rubber grips seem too sticky.

i noticed before that thes (Ergon?) grips start to get stickier and
stickier over time

is there a way to control it?

Borrall Wonnell

Oct 11, 2009, 5:12:18 PM10/11/09
On Oct 11, 4:29 pm, crowizcom <cro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> i just get a bike (Giant Fusion) and while rest of bike seems fine
> (second hand) rubber grips seem too sticky.
>
> i noticed before that thes (Ergon?) grips start to get stickier and
> stickier over time

I use baby powder on my inner tubes to reduce friction...should work
for grips as well.
You can always change grips. I switched from rubber to foam grips and
haven't looked back.

someone

Oct 11, 2009, 5:34:22 PM10/11/09

Dust them. Use french chalk or talcum powder. Use corn flour if your
desperate.

It's Chris

Oct 12, 2009, 12:05:01 AM10/12/09
A lot of times the stickyness doesn't come from the rubber, but from you
(or rather your sweaty hands). Have you trired washing them? Try Dawn
and water, then rinse.

If that doesn't remove the stickyness, their's always talc.

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

My website (final month):
http://geocities.com/czcorner

crowizcom

Oct 12, 2009, 7:08:32 AM10/12/09
apparently they are intentionally sticky, in order 'to provide secure
grip even in wet conditions'
just tried them in rain, stickiness receded :)

they are like those
http://www.dotbike.com/ProductsP532.aspx?utm_source%3dinternal%26utm_medium%3dsite%26utm_campaign%3dDDI
grey pads are sticky

someone

Oct 12, 2009, 7:30:40 AM10/12/09
On 12 Oct, 12:08, crowizcom <cro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> apparently they are intentionally sticky, in order 'to provide secure
> grip even in wet conditions'
> just tried them in rain, stickiness receded :)
>
> they are like thosehttp://www.dotbike.com/ProductsP532.aspx?utm_source%3dinternal%26utm_...

> grey pads are sticky

Manual for ergon gp1 says to clean them with warm soapy water. I'd
say your hands with soap as well. If you use a hand cleanser or
detergent there may be something which is increasing the stickiness.
If after cleaning your grips and hands with soap, it does not
stabilize, using glove which will lint a little may help with the bare
hand issue. Else seen as it reduces with rain, just dust your hands
with talc before riding until the dry weather stickiness is to your
satisfaction.

raamman

Oct 12, 2009, 2:29:32 PM10/12/09

yeah; I've grips on an old mtb stored away that if you touch, your
hands are black with goop; perhaps it was the the soap I used to clean
the bike from time to time, sunblock, sweat and/or natural breakdown
of the rubber they used. really, when it gets like that you have to
pull them off and just replace them because they aren';t going to get
any better.

RonSonic

Oct 12, 2009, 10:00:00 PM10/12/09

I love my Oury grips as long as I'm wearing gloves, but the tacky thing is very
uncomfortable bare handed. Simply don't use them on the around town bikes.

--

Oh damn. There's that annoying blog. Again. http://dumbbikeblog.blogspot.com

bigpinekey...@gmail.com

Jul 2, 2014, 12:34:32 PM7/2/14
I used corn starch, seems to be working.

helenk...@gmail.com

Jul 27, 2017, 8:45:16 AM7/27/17
I used goo be gone and powder and also the yellowing i used magic eraser

avag...@gmail.com

Jul 28, 2017, 8:56:19 AM7/28/17
On Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 8:45:16 AM UTC-4, helenk...@gmail.com wrote:
> I used goo be gone and powder and also the yellowing i used magic eraser

excellent esp with ergo bars ...major consideration for long distance

natural hand flexing over sweat absorbant...and cleanable right density foam is 21C vs Goodyear's rubber

http://grabongrips.com/