WHAT ? BLACK ICE ....

avag...@gmail.com

Dec 15, 2017, 4:37:48 PM12/15/17

jbeattie

Dec 15, 2017, 8:25:00 PM12/15/17

Tim McNamara

Dec 16, 2017, 1:38:43 AM12/16/17

Black ice will get your attention, unfortunately a litle too late. It
used to be endemic around here in the winter with frequent -10F and
colder days. But winters have trended much milder and cold enough temps
for black ice in the Twin Cities have become rare. A few winters ago
(2012? 2013?) we had some old-fashioned Minnesota weather for weeks at
a time with highs below zero and lows at -20F. Lots of black ice that
winter, spinning cars all over the place until drivers adapted. Now
the winters here are like those in Chicago that I grew up with, rather
than feeling arctic for most of January. Cold for a few days then thaw,
rinse and repeat for three months.
Message has been deleted

avag...@gmail.com

Dec 16, 2017, 2:00:05 AM12/16/17
down by the rivah yawl prob have frozen river mist on road surfaces. warm river cold air. time for the geese to fly in going south with a stop at the pond.

In Pennsylvania, there's the hill n valley effect. Erosion over thousands of years off the Appalachians, here North Mtn an extinct volcanoes I lived on estimated at once near 30000 feet eroded esp down near Lairdsville. The over view tilted in Goo Earth would be interesting as it is in person: hill n valley.

goo.gl/2mKF78

So ? one small valley is warm the next cold ...pond effect. So, when you drive up n around the dividing hill’s nose your vehicle as in the current Honda commercial sudden drives into a valley covered with glare ice both white n black.

North New Jersey does this going west from Pine Brook as 46/80 go up a series up steps in elevation from warm swamp/NYC to the Apps foothills.

AWD ABS FWD radial tires from Yurp Design

goo.gl/1LD1Ej