Where would Jesus stand on Welfare?

Jul 8, 2014, 5:04:32 PM7/8/14
All needy people, unable to work, whose mind is not all there, should be helped. That would include characters like Jesus, as well as many philosophers, who were dirt poor.

This dream has only been accomplished in the 20th century with the so called "welfare state." The option would be that they become beggars and we don't want that. In fact Norway just banned begging.

To be honest I think the welfare state should be fixed to promote people doing something productive. I'm sure Jesus would be OK with that. Everybody should be productive, taking care of their communities. It could be something as simple as picking litter or planting trees.

This is a subject where the Bible doesn't shed any light, so I want to philosophize about it. I hope the Republicans don't oppose this initiative too without a good argument. Or perhaps it would be the Liberals who oppose it, claiming it would be abusive.

Jesus would use his carpentry to make shelters for the poor, and that would be make the poor happier than his magic. What do you think?

"The jungle has never been this much fun!"

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nffbCR_uCZ6znjf3gLiFRXSAoLzhWtoZ6U4S7Y37aKc/edit?usp=sharing

Jul 8, 2014, 11:30:18 PM7/8/14
On Tuesday, July 8, 2014 5:16:22 PM UTC-4, Mr. B1ack wrote:
> Thing is, it isn't REALLY "welfare" ... it's "BRIBERY". The
>
> implicit deal is "My party will give you Free Money, and if you
>
> want more of it then you will vote for my parties people".
>

> That's a bribe.
>

> Even worse, it's a *destructive* bribe, supplying just
>
> enough "free money" so that nobody *has* to do
>
> anything but sit around and get wasted all day. It's
>
> a bribe designed to perpetuate poverty, to keep
>
> those voters in veritable slavery to their 'free-money
>
> pushers'.
>

> Somehow, I don't think Jesus would approve of that.
>
> It's cynical faux-charity.
>

> Not that he'd approve of the GOPs "Cut 'em all off
>
> and let 'em die" formula either ....

This is the case with the elderly voting machine as well. Nobody will touch them though. They vote.

And they get lots of things the population at large can only dream of. One fancy club for the seniors is going to open soon around here. Coming soon, after so many years in the making. It must have cost millions if you take into account all the corruption involved.

In general, people on handouts should feel miserable. If they did some work for the community they would feel better.

Jul 9, 2014, 2:41:08 PM7/9/14
On Wednesday, July 9, 2014 12:15:54 AM UTC-4, Your Name wrote:
> In article <8d750656-db90-4ff0...@googlegroups.com>,
>
> Wise TibetanMonkey, Most Humble Philosopher
>
> <thetibet...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tuesday, July 8, 2014 7:06:17 PM UTC-4, wakal...@yahoo.com.sg wrote:
>

> > > If someone has infinite resources, what do you think his stand on welfare
>
> > > would be? Of course, beneficiaries must still pay a price -- belief in
>
> > > that person.
>

> > I see this sign in nature parks:
>

> > "Do not feed the wildlife"
>

> > You feed them and the poor animals stop hunting, and when you are not there
>
> > they go hungry.
>

> I've seen the "documentaries". Even if you don't feed tham, those bears
>
> keep trying to steal your pic-a-nic basket, eh Boo-Boo. ;-)

Maybe we can extend Welfare to them.

But then we get too many bears. Who can bear so many bears?

We support a large feral cats population, and guess what:

They multiply and conquer. Nobody can touch them but they can feed them.

What do you think of things in the jungle? Are all animals the same? Soon we may have pythons along the cats, something I support because they will eat the cats. It's not far fetched, the Burmese pythons have taken over the Everglades.

> > Welfare states create as many problems as it solves. Handouts by the church
>
> > create a dependency too. Begging is even worse. Did Jesus beg for food,
>
> > relied on handouts from the synagogues?
>

> > I know, I know, he could make bread, fish and wine out of nothing.
>

> Nah. Jesus was just a lazy conman who fooled naive people into giving
>
> him food, shelter, etc. by pretending to be the "Son of God" and
>
> performing the occasional magic trick "miracle".

Magicians/clowns/freaks had a good income back in the old days. Nothing else to do. People would follow anything, like the circus in town.

avag...@gmail.com

Jul 11, 2014, 2:39:35 PM7/11/14
where would Jesus stand on welfare

where would Jesus stand on drugs

where would Jesus stand on drunks

down on the Bowery, up in Bryn Mawr

where is Jesus standing when he stand on skunks ?

avag...@gmail.com

Jul 12, 2014, 9:28:31 PM7/12/14

down at the ZOO down at the ZOO

asshole deep in what ?