Tire-making: another update posted

DougC

Jan 4, 2017, 8:23:19 PM1/4/17
More little problems. Nothing huge tho.
http://beevilletire.com/early_attemps/update_014/update_014.html

And as I was proof-reading the page now, it occurs to me that the rubber
I have is kinda old,,, like 2+ years. I think it has a 2-year shelf
life. Oh well.

At this point I'm waiting for some parts from China again--so it will
likely be at least 3-4 weeks before I can get anything else done.

We trudge onward.

Tosspot

Jan 5, 2017, 5:08:36 AM1/5/17
They are starting to look like real tyres. The time will come, when
they will have to be test ridden...

cycl...@gmail.com

Jan 5, 2017, 10:42:04 AM1/5/17
I suspect that the rubber covering is not painted on but cast and then pasted to the cord. If you look at most tires they have mold lines down the center so that you can cast them in two halves and then vulcanize them together in a press.

AMuzi

Jan 5, 2017, 11:19:02 AM1/5/17
Actually, the tire components (casing layers, bands, beads)
are assembled:
http://st.motortrend.com/uploads/sites/5/2012/03/Michelin-Defender-Structure-Cutaway.jpg

And then coated, hot molded in a multi-part form:
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/NFH0eitZ-aA/maxresdefault.jpg

Basically the same process for bicycle tires, tractor tires,
race car tires, whatever.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

cycl...@gmail.com

Jan 5, 2017, 11:36:05 AM1/5/17
On Thursday, January 5, 2017 at 8:19:02 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:

> Actually, the tire components (casing layers, bands, beads)
> are assembled:
> http://st.motortrend.com/uploads/sites/5/2012/03/Michelin-Defender-Structure-Cutaway.jpg
>
> And then coated, hot molded in a multi-part form:
> http://i.ytimg.com/vi/NFH0eitZ-aA/maxresdefault.jpg
>
> Basically the same process for bicycle tires, tractor tires,
> race car tires, whatever.

After thinking about it I just returned to make some corrections. The seam mark down the center of the time shows that what is happening is that they inflate the casing partially. glue on the belts, glue on some spacers and then set this thing into the bottom half mold, close the top half and then INJECT the rubber. I don't think that the rubber needs to be very hot to be liquid enough to be injected and it can be of a rubber that hardens quite a bit and fills on all of the areas.

Bicycle tires are no doubt so expensive compared to really high quality car tires because there is so much hand work.