Funny Noises

Joy Beeson

Sep 22, 2016, 10:07:40 PM9/22/16

I've added a new one to my collection of funny noises.

Today I heard an alarming squeak, squeak, squeak, just as I was
meeting a UPS truck on a back road and couldn't spare attention to
track it down.

The squeak got louder as the truck approached, and faded away as it
departed.

The all-time champion was a clinking in exact time to my pedal
strokes. Nothing was bumping, I couldn't find any flaw in my pedals
and cranks. The noise was eventually tracked down to two coins and a
tube of chapstick in my jeans pocket.

Another mysterious clinking turned out to be a kid at a lemonade stand
ringing a bell.

A wayward tire hitting the frame again just when I thought I'd finally
got it firmly centered turned out to be a chirping flagpole.
Apparently the wind was moving the rope just so.

Once when I was crossing a high bridge, a clanking perfectly timed to
my wheel rotation turned out to be a bird flying along beside me. I
swear, that bird was smirking.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGESEW/

John B.

Sep 23, 2016, 1:48:19 AM9/23/16
On 09/23/2016 08:07 AM, Joy Beeson wrote:

> I've added a new one to my collection of funny noises.
>
> Today I heard an alarming squeak, squeak, squeak, just as I was
> meeting a UPS truck on a back road and couldn't spare attention to
> track it down.
>
> The squeak got louder as the truck approached, and faded away as it
> departed.
>
> The all-time champion was a clinking in exact time to my pedal
> strokes. Nothing was bumping, I couldn't find any flaw in my pedals
> and cranks. The noise was eventually tracked down to two coins and a
> tube of chapstick in my jeans pocket.
>
> Another mysterious clinking turned out to be a kid at a lemonade stand
> ringing a bell.
>
> A wayward tire hitting the frame again just when I thought I'd finally
> got it firmly centered turned out to be a chirping flagpole.
> Apparently the wind was moving the rope just so.
>
> Once when I was crossing a high bridge, a clanking perfectly timed to
> my wheel rotation turned out to be a bird flying along beside me. I
> swear, that bird was smirking.

Over here there is a bird who's cry sounds much like "Graaaak". I was
riding along and one pedal, apparently, developed a grating sound like
"Graaaak Graaaak". When I stopped to investigate the sound stopped. I
couldn't find any problems so got back on and started again.No noise
until a bit later I was coasting down a slight hill and the noise
started again and when I stopped (again) it continued. I'm not much of a
bird fancier :-)

--
cheers,

John B.

AMuzi

Sep 23, 2016, 8:26:03 AM9/23/16
Gene Daniels can translate 'Graaaak' for you, he speaks bird.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Duane

Sep 23, 2016, 8:52:05 AM9/23/16
On 22/09/2016 9:07 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:

> I've added a new one to my collection of funny noises.
>
> Today I heard an alarming squeak, squeak, squeak, just as I was
> meeting a UPS truck on a back road and couldn't spare attention to
> track it down.
>
> The squeak got louder as the truck approached, and faded away as it
> departed.
>
> The all-time champion was a clinking in exact time to my pedal
> strokes. Nothing was bumping, I couldn't find any flaw in my pedals
> and cranks. The noise was eventually tracked down to two coins and a
> tube of chapstick in my jeans pocket.
>
> Another mysterious clinking turned out to be a kid at a lemonade stand
> ringing a bell.
>
> A wayward tire hitting the frame again just when I thought I'd finally
> got it firmly centered turned out to be a chirping flagpole.
> Apparently the wind was moving the rope just so.
>
> Once when I was crossing a high bridge, a clanking perfectly timed to
> my wheel rotation turned out to be a bird flying along beside me. I
> swear, that bird was smirking.

One late fall ride I spent half the ride wondering where the creaking
sound was coming from only to see it disappear after eating the cliff
bar that was stuck in my jacket pocket and making this crinkling noise
as I moved.

Had a few bird sounds confounding me as well.

Frank Krygowski

Sep 23, 2016, 11:17:26 AM9/23/16
On 9/22/2016 9:07 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:

> I've added a new one to my collection of funny noises.
>
> Today I heard an alarming squeak, squeak, squeak, just as I was
> meeting a UPS truck on a back road and couldn't spare attention to
> track it down.
>
> The squeak got louder as the truck approached, and faded away as it
> departed.
>
> The all-time champion was a clinking in exact time to my pedal
> strokes. Nothing was bumping, I couldn't find any flaw in my pedals
> and cranks. The noise was eventually tracked down to two coins and a
> tube of chapstick in my jeans pocket.
>
> Another mysterious clinking turned out to be a kid at a lemonade stand
> ringing a bell.
>
> A wayward tire hitting the frame again just when I thought I'd finally
> got it firmly centered turned out to be a chirping flagpole.
> Apparently the wind was moving the rope just so.
>
> Once when I was crossing a high bridge, a clanking perfectly timed to
> my wheel rotation turned out to be a bird flying along beside me. I
> swear, that bird was smirking.

This is probably too bike-specific, but my touring bike has an
intermittent noise that drove me crazy for several rides. It's a weird
sort of creak synchronized with my pedal stroke. I'd just changed my
bottom bracket, so I was afraid I had somehow botched the installation;
or perhaps the cranks were loose. Or pedal bearings going?

Turns out it's something within the saddle. I still haven't gotten
around to fixing it.

--
- Frank Krygowski

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Sep 23, 2016, 6:22:24 PM9/23/16
transparent fibers n flaps hung on forks n spokes ...in the back ....stop to look n the noisemaker hides behind a frame member.....

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Sep 24, 2016, 8:35:29 PM9/24/16
On Friday, September 23, 2016 at 4:22:24 PM UTC-6, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
> transparent fibers n flaps hung on forks n spokes ...in the back ....stop to look n the noisemaker hides behind a frame member.....

ZICK ZICK BORK BORK ERK ERK NNNNGH

AMuzi

Sep 25, 2016, 9:55:24 AM9/25/16
is that in Grackle or Miamiese?

Andrew Chaplin

Sep 25, 2016, 10:09:36 AM9/25/16
AMuzi <a...@yellowjersey.org> wrote in news:ns8l01$o9b$1...@dont-email.me:

> On 9/24/2016 7:35 PM, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
>> On Friday, September 23, 2016 at 4:22:24 PM UTC-6, DATAKOLL MARINE
>> RESEARCH wrote:
>>> transparent fibers n flaps hung on forks n spokes ...in the back
>>> ....stop to look n the noisemaker hides behind a frame member.....
>>
>> ZICK ZICK BORK BORK ERK ERK NNNNGH
>>

> is that in Grackle or Miamiese?

Swwedish through Muppet translation software.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO