ULTIMATE LUBE

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Aug 27, 2016, 11:56:27 AM8/27/16

AMuzi

Aug 27, 2016, 12:53:27 PM8/27/16
On 8/27/2016 10:56 AM, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
> http://www.rd.com/home/cleaning-organizing/13-amazing-uses-for-wd-40/1/?trkid=ppc-outbrain-ss-dt

WD-40 has its place:
https://thenewyorkcitypopper.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/trash-can1.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Aug 27, 2016, 1:36:37 PM8/27/16
this blurp was the bottom page category as: 34 UNKNOWN PHOTOGRAPHS OF NESSIE

other day man from uppermidwest recommended WD for waterproofing wiring.

idea forms like 34 UNKNOWN, WD use springs from common use of like materials

Sir Ridesalot

Aug 27, 2016, 2:17:59 PM8/27/16
I wonder how many bicycle components such as freewheels and chains have been ruined because people thought WD-40 (Water Displacement Formula #40) was a lubricant? It might work for a short time but it comes off very quickly.

Cheers

Jeff Liebermann

Aug 27, 2016, 3:43:48 PM8/27/16
On Sat, 27 Aug 2016 11:17:56 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
<i_am_cyc...@yahoo.ca> wrote:

>I wonder how many bicycle components such as freewheels and chains have been ruined because people thought WD-40 (Water Displacement Formula #40) was a lubricant? It might work for a short time but it comes off very quickly.
>Cheers

<http://wd40.com/cool-stuff/myths-legends-fun-facts>
A Question of Lubrication
Myth: WD-40® Multi-Use Product is not really a lubricant.
Fact: While the "W-D" in WD-40® stands for Water Displacement,
WD-40® Multi-Use Product is a unique, special blend of lubricants.
The product’s formulation also contains anti-corrosion agents and
ingredients for penetration, water displacement and soil removal.

and...

Bike Friendly
Myth: WD-40® Multi-Use Product should not be used on bike chains.
Fact: While WD-40® Multi-Use Product it is not a grease, it is
formulated with strong lubricating oils and other ingredients,
and is a terrific product to use for bike maintenance. It does
not attract dirt or moisture to metal surfaces – just be sure
to wipe off any excess WD-40® Multi-Use Product before riding.

For long-term lubrication and other specialized bicycle maintenance
needs, check out WD-40® BIKE. Developed specifically for cyclists
and mechanics, this high-performance line of bicycle care products
is sure to become a mainstay in the toolboxes of bike mechanics
for decades.
<http://www.wd40bike.com>

I'm fairly sure that much of the WD-40 formulation is mineral oil,
which is a fairly tolerable lubricant.
<http://www.wired.com/2009/04/st-whatsinside-6/>

--
Jeff Liebermann je...@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Sir Ridesalot

Aug 27, 2016, 4:14:32 PM8/27/16
Maybe they've changed it since the 1980s but when I saw paerts like freewheels that'd only been lubricated with WD-40 they were very rusty.

YMMV

Cheers

Andrew Chaplin

Aug 27, 2016, 4:29:48 PM8/27/16
Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com> wrote in
I believe it is described as a "petroleum distillate." I have long used it
to clean chains, which I then wipe and lubricate with this stuff:
<http://shop.bushtukah.com/product/finish-line-wet-lubricant-2-ounce-
bottle-44578-1.htm#.V8H8q9QrKCg>..
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

Frank Krygowski

Aug 27, 2016, 6:37:24 PM8/27/16
You heretic!

--
- Frank Krygowski

Jeff Liebermann

Aug 27, 2016, 10:42:44 PM8/27/16
The formulation is a trade secret so they may have changed without
informing anyone. As I mumbled, mineral oil (not mineral spirits) is
used as a baby oil, vaginal lube, intestinal lube, skin lube,
laxative, cold cream, furniture polish, toilet bowl cleaner, and such:
<http://greencleaning.about.com/od/GreenCleaningResources/g/Mineral-Oil-What-It-Is-How-Its-Used-In-Cleaning-and-More.htm>
While not the best lubricant available, it will lubricate metal parts
and is generally considering a lubricant. There are other lubricants
that would probably work better. As you note, it does wash off and
doesn't last very long.

The surface of freewheels would probably not be the best place for
WD-40. It's not particularly tacky, and is easily flung all over my
paniers and pant legs by the centrifugal forces of the rotating gears.
I would not expect it, or for that matter, any other thin oil, to
remain on a spinning freewheel for very long. However, there are
other places on the bicycle, which don't rotate as rapidly, where thin
oils might be expected to stay in place.

Interesting that 4 out of 5 bicycle related produces from WD-40
involve chain cleaning and lubrication.
<http://www.wd40bike.com/products>

>YMMV

I'm not going anywhere, so my mileage does not vary.

Jeff Liebermann

Aug 27, 2016, 10:50:31 PM8/27/16
On Sat, 27 Aug 2016 18:37:22 -0400, Frank Krygowski
<frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>You heretic!

Yep. For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who
don't believe, I don't bother trying to prove my point because they're
hopeless. It's a nice rationalization for not needing to prove
anything.

Burning Man starts tomorrow, where bicycles are the favored means of
transportation:
<https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=burning+man+bicycles>
Please leave your sanity at the gate.
<http://burningman.org>

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Aug 28, 2016, 1:51:15 AM8/28/16
WD is deodorized kerosene

yawl been thru motor oil regulated categores for ID ?

in forum bloke claimed all motor oils are now synthetjc as all have synthetic components like antifreeze or corn kernels.

Substances with corn kernels are whiskey.

The more $$$ you have the more relevant this is ...

Jeff Liebermann

Aug 28, 2016, 2:24:51 AM8/28/16
On Sat, 27 Aug 2016 22:51:13 -0700 (PDT), DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH
<avag...@gmail.com> wrote:

>WD is deodorized kerosene

There's no such thing as deodorized kerosene, air freshener, or
deodorizer. What you smell from noxious compounds are volatized
chemicals which are NOT affected by manner of deodorizer. What is
sold as deodorizer is actually a nasal desensitizer. Kinda like a
negative fragrance. You can save money and burn ordinary kerosene and
just spray your nose with a commercial nasal desensitizer. They also
mix in some heavy duty perfume so that you don't freak out when you
smell absolutely nothing. At least this one is honest about what it
does and how it works:
<http://greatinventions.tv/home/product/what-odor_nose-desensitizer/>

If WD-40 were kerosene, it would burn. You could put some on a
concrete or metal slab and try to ignite it. It won't burn:
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOfDwOSDLYM>
Try that with kerosene and it will burn quite nicely. Therefore,
WD-40 is not kerosene.

Incidentally, WD-40 is considered flammable mostly because of the
repellents used to pressurize the can. Because of the high flash
point of mineral oil, 335F or 168C, it is consider combustible, but
not flammable, which requires that it burn at 100F or 38C:
<http://wd40.com/faqs>
WD-40® aerosol is considered flammable for other reasons
beyond flashpoint. Aerosols must be tested for "flame extension"
(how far a spray will carry a flame), and "flashback" (whether
the spray carries the flame back toward the user). WD-40® does
not have flashback, but can carry a flame forward, so it is
categorized as flammable.
This has what to do with WD-40? Try hard to remain on topic or at
least something interesting.

Sir Ridesalot

Aug 28, 2016, 2:45:52 AM8/28/16
HAH< HAH! LOL

Whenever I mention that a topic has changed (ie got hijacked) I'm told that it's topic frift and that it's a normal thing on Usenet and not to complain about it. It certainly is normal here.

Cheers

John B.

Aug 28, 2016, 6:00:59 AM8/28/16
On Sat, 27 Aug 2016 12:43:45 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com>
wrote:
According to the MSDS:

WD-40
Aliphatic Hydrocarbon 45 - 50%
Petroleum Base Oil <25%
LVP Aliphatic Hydrocarbon 12 - 18%
Surfactant <2%

WD-40-Bike
Heptane 30 - 50%
Petroleum Base Oil <40%
Cyclohexane <5%
--
cheers,

John B.

John B.

Aug 28, 2016, 6:05:43 AM8/28/16
In the trade a petroleum distillate is described as:

Petroleum distillates is the term commonly used to refer to aliphatic
hydrocarbons. Aliphatic hydrocarbons can actually be divided into two
groups: petroleum distillates and synthetic paraffinic hydrocarbons.
We use petroleum distillates to mean both types of products.
Petroleum distillates include mineral spirits, kerosene, white
spirits, naphtha, and Stoddard solvent. These products may contain
trace amounts of benzene and other aromatics.
--
cheers,

John B.

John B.

Aug 28, 2016, 6:32:25 AM8/28/16
On Sat, 27 Aug 2016 23:24:41 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com>
wrote:

>On Sat, 27 Aug 2016 22:51:13 -0700 (PDT), DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH
><avag...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>WD is deodorized kerosene
>
>There's no such thing as deodorized kerosene, air freshener, or
>deodorizer. What you smell from noxious compounds are volatized
>chemicals which are NOT affected by manner of deodorizer. What is
>sold as deodorizer is actually a nasal desensitizer. Kinda like a
>negative fragrance. You can save money and burn ordinary kerosene and
>just spray your nose with a commercial nasal desensitizer. They also
>mix in some heavy duty perfume so that you don't freak out when you
>smell absolutely nothing. At least this one is honest about what it
>does and how it works:
><http://greatinventions.tv/home/product/what-odor_nose-desensitizer/>
>
>If WD-40 were kerosene, it would burn. You could put some on a
>concrete or metal slab and try to ignite it. It won't burn:
><https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOfDwOSDLYM>
>Try that with kerosene and it will burn quite nicely. Therefore,
>WD-40 is not kerosene.

But it does burn. In fact it is a much favored starting fluid for
diesel engines. Problems starting on straight diesel" Gasoline, Ether
and Acetylene can cause problems but WD-4 is just right :-)

>Incidentally, WD-40 is considered flammable mostly because of the
>repellents used to pressurize the can. Because of the high flash
>point of mineral oil, 335F or 168C, it is consider combustible, but
>not flammable, which requires that it burn at 100F or 38C:
><http://wd40.com/faqs>
> WD-40® aerosol is considered flammable for other reasons
> beyond flashpoint. Aerosols must be tested for "flame extension"
> (how far a spray will carry a flame), and "flashback" (whether
> the spray carries the flame back toward the user). WD-40® does
> not have flashback, but can carry a flame forward, so it is
> categorized as flammable.

True the propellant is flammable but the <25% "Petroleum Base Oil"
will certainly burn also :-)

>>yawl been thru motor oil regulated categores for ID ?
>>in forum bloke claimed all motor oils are now synthetjc as
>>all have synthetic components like antifreeze or corn kernels.
>>Substances with corn kernels are whiskey.
>>The more $$$ you have the more relevant this is ...
>
>This has what to do with WD-40? Try hard to remain on topic or at
>least something interesting.

By the way, WD-40 doesn't claim to be a lubricant. The can says
Stops Squeaks, Drives out Moisture, Cleans and Protects, Loosens
Rusted Parts, Frees Sticky Mechanisms.
The closest it comes to a lubrication claim is that it stops squeaks.
(and you can stop squeaks by stamping on a mouse :-)

--
cheers,

John B.

John B.

Aug 28, 2016, 6:43:38 AM8/28/16
wrote:

>On Sat, 27 Aug 2016 22:51:13 -0700 (PDT), DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH
><avag...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>WD is deodorized kerosene
>
>There's no such thing as deodorized kerosene, air freshener, or
>deodorizer. What you smell from noxious compounds are volatized
>chemicals which are NOT affected by manner of deodorizer. What is
>sold as deodorizer is actually a nasal desensitizer. Kinda like a
>negative fragrance. You can save money and burn ordinary kerosene and
>just spray your nose with a commercial nasal desensitizer. They also
>mix in some heavy duty perfume so that you don't freak out when you
>smell absolutely nothing. At least this one is honest about what it
>does and how it works:
><http://greatinventions.tv/home/product/what-odor_nose-desensitizer/>

Strange that:
See:
https://www.google.com/patents/US1538287
http://dir.indiamart.com/impcat/deodorized-kerosene.html
http://www.ajol.info/index.php/gjer/article/view/18934

I might add that "back in the day" deodorized kerosene was widely sold
for use in kerosene lamps, often labeled "Lamp Oil". I do understand
that the use of kerosene lamps has fallen off a bit so perhaps the
corner store no longer stocks it.

>If WD-40 were kerosene, it would burn. You could put some on a
>concrete or metal slab and try to ignite it. It won't burn:
><https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOfDwOSDLYM>
>Try that with kerosene and it will burn quite nicely. Therefore,
>WD-40 is not kerosene.
>
>Incidentally, WD-40 is considered flammable mostly because of the
>repellents used to pressurize the can. Because of the high flash
>point of mineral oil, 335F or 168C, it is consider combustible, but
>not flammable, which requires that it burn at 100F or 38C:
><http://wd40.com/faqs>
> WD-40® aerosol is considered flammable for other reasons
> beyond flashpoint. Aerosols must be tested for "flame extension"
> (how far a spray will carry a flame), and "flashback" (whether
> the spray carries the flame back toward the user). WD-40® does
> not have flashback, but can carry a flame forward, so it is
> categorized as flammable.
>
>>yawl been thru motor oil regulated categores for ID ?
>>in forum bloke claimed all motor oils are now synthetjc as
>>all have synthetic components like antifreeze or corn kernels.
>>Substances with corn kernels are whiskey.
>>The more $$$ you have the more relevant this is ...
>
>This has what to do with WD-40? Try hard to remain on topic or at
>least something interesting.
--
cheers,

John B.

Frank Krygowski

Aug 28, 2016, 8:39:25 AM8/28/16
Why are you changing the topic to thread hijacking?

--
- Frank Krygowski

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Aug 28, 2016, 9:03:43 AM8/28/16
On Sunday, August 28, 2016 at 2:24:51 AM UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
deodorized kerosene DOES NOT BURN .....

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Aug 28, 2016, 9:04:43 AM8/28/16
east Canadian world view

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Aug 28, 2016, 9:14:50 AM8/28/16
deodorized kerosene DOES NOT BURN .....

more on environmental comfort...

https://www.google.com/#q=is+wd+40+deodorized+kerosene

during fall when here, I shop at a snowbird Walmart. buying bicycle is standard procedure....gotta get back ....and infrequently stand in line or pass by the proud owner(s) of new walcycles.

I stop n chat recommending CRC silicone for cables, chains. n gears ...its on hand n cheap. 2x the new cyclist went back n bought a can.

women will say...my husband takes care of it......like bringing in dead animals for lunch.

one actually went to the LBS buying FL dry lube !

wondering what the success/connect rate is with a recommend for wd40 ?

or deodorized kerosene base .....

removing odor would yield base/feed stocks eg sulfur compounds right ?

the Valvo Synth manual transmission fluid seams deodorized. Kendall isnot.
Kendall dino a major environmental pollutant.

deodor may be standard now with the rise of lower classes ( see Jute, A.)

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Aug 28, 2016, 9:17:09 AM8/28/16
I gave an Alladin as a gift. it stinks. the fumes are intolerable to a suburban 21C. Needs an electric evac fan ..... quick Maggie start the generator.....

Jeff Liebermann

Aug 28, 2016, 1:57:16 PM8/28/16
On Sun, 28 Aug 2016 17:32:20 +0700, John B. <slocom...@gmail.xyz>
wrote:

>On Sat, 27 Aug 2016 23:24:41 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com>
>wrote:
>>If WD-40 were kerosene, it would burn. You could put some on a
>>concrete or metal slab and try to ignite it. It won't burn:
>><https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOfDwOSDLYM>
>>Try that with kerosene and it will burn quite nicely. Therefore,
>>WD-40 is not kerosene.

>But it does burn. In fact it is a much favored starting fluid for
>diesel engines. Problems starting on straight diesel" Gasoline, Ether
>and Acetylene can cause problems but WD-4 is just right :-)

Careful here. Watch the video above. When he puts a flame in front
of the spray can, it's mostly the propellants that are burning.
However, when he dumps some on the concrete slab, the WD-40, without
the propellants, does not burn. Do the same thing with deodorized
kerosene, and it will burn or flash.

I just tried it with an aluminum plate. WD-40 won't burn using butane
cigarette igniter. Kerosene fumes burn nicely.

>True the propellant is flammable but the <25% "Petroleum Base Oil"
>will certainly burn also :-)

I'm sure that the necessary conditions for making it burn can be
found. It's just that those conditions don't match the legal
requirements for being considered "flammable" or "combustible".
<https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=INTERPRETATIONS&p_id=27488>

>By the way, WD-40 doesn't claim to be a lubricant. The can says
>Stops Squeaks, Drives out Moisture, Cleans and Protects, Loosens
>Rusted Parts, Frees Sticky Mechanisms.
>The closest it comes to a lubrication claim is that it stops squeaks.
>(and you can stop squeaks by stamping on a mouse :-)

There are many products that don't claim to provide some marginal
function, mostly to avoid getting sued if used in such a manner. The
entire dietary supplements industry is full of products with
disclaimers and wholesale repudiation of responsibility warnings,
mostly so that the product does not need to pass a very expensive FDA
acceptance ordeal. WD-40 is certainly not advertised as a lubricant,
but that won't prevent people from using it as such. As I mentioned,
there are better lubricants available, but there are situations where
a mediocre lube is more than adequate. See the Mythbusters episodes
where Jamie applies copious quantities of lard as a lubricant. To the
best of my limited knowledge, the swine industry does not recommend
using its products for lubrication.

Incidentally, I do have a mouse infestation problem every year during
the fall. It gets cold and the mice move indoors. I haven't tried
using WD-40 as a mouse exterminator, but it does seem like it might
work. I'll let you know how it works in a few weeks.

Jeff Liebermann

Aug 28, 2016, 2:07:47 PM8/28/16
On Sat, 27 Aug 2016 23:45:49 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
<i_am_cyc...@yahoo.ca> wrote:

>HAH< HAH! LOL

Huh? I was serious.

>Whenever I mention that a topic has changed (ie got hijacked) I'm
>told that it's topic frift and that it's a normal thing on Usenet
>and not to complain about it. It certainly is normal here.

Complaints on Usenet are futile. NBC (NoBody Cares).

I view that answering the original question in a normal, logical, and
rational manner, entitles me to later add some marginally related
drivel or even change the subject. The basic requirement is that the
original question must be in some way addressed. This is not a common
paradigm found on todays Usenet and invariably results in increased
topic drift because the more trivial the comments, the more attention
and postings they attract. This thread is a minor example.

Sir Ridesalot

Aug 28, 2016, 4:21:07 PM8/28/16
If I start a thread and it gets completely hijacked to a completely non-bicycling topic, I'm told to suck it up as it's normal topic drift. That's why I posted HAZH!h! HAH! LOL

When I saw the insides of freewheels that'd been lubed with WD-40 they were all very rusty. Chains lubed with WD-40 also got rusty very quickly. I guess a chain being lubed with WD-40 needs to be constantly running through a WD-40 bath in order to keep the WD-40 from wearing/washing off quickly.

Cheers

AMuzi

Aug 28, 2016, 4:41:18 PM8/28/16
On 8/28/2016 12:57 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Aug 2016 17:32:20 +0700, John B. <slocom...@gmail.xyz>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 27 Aug 2016 23:24:41 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com>
>> wrote:
>>> If WD-40 were kerosene, it would burn.
-snip WD40-

> Incidentally, I do have a mouse infestation problem every year during
> the fall. It gets cold and the mice move indoors. I haven't tried
> using WD-40 as a mouse exterminator, but it does seem like it might
> work. I'll let you know how it works in a few weeks.

As a guy who stores cars over winter. I recommend mothballs
(napthalene) which effectively deter rodents (mice squirrels
etc).

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Aug 28, 2016, 5:24:08 PM8/28/16
dig hole. obtain several barrels. place mouse food in barrels with one way ramp. fill barrel with water.

I doahn wanna bore you but wd40's major component is deodorized kerosene. let us know when you discover what prevents wd from burning. I'll look

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Aug 28, 2016, 5:29:38 PM8/28/16
! does not burn caws your flame evaps the flammable contents ..or whay's left after spraying out....is something like the laugher....

WD40 NOT HARMFUL ON PLASTICS

well sure caws it doahn do nuthin

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Aug 28, 2016, 5:31:29 PM8/28/16
/////////////

! does not burn caws your flame evaps the flammable contents ..or whaT's left after spraying out....is something like the laugher....

WD40 NOT HARMFUL ON PLASTICS

well sure caws it doahn do nuthin

WATER PROVEN NOT HARMFUL ON PLASTICS...in the short run

Jeff Liebermann

Aug 28, 2016, 5:45:52 PM8/28/16
On Sun, 28 Aug 2016 15:41:15 -0500, AMuzi <a...@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

>On 8/28/2016 12:57 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
>> On Sun, 28 Aug 2016 17:32:20 +0700, John B. <slocom...@gmail.xyz>
>> wrote:

>-snip WD40-
>
>> Incidentally, I do have a mouse infestation problem every year during
>> the fall. It gets cold and the mice move indoors. I haven't tried
>> using WD-40 as a mouse exterminator, but it does seem like it might
>> work. I'll let you know how it works in a few weeks.

>As a guy who stores cars over winter. I recommend mothballs
>(napthalene) which effectively deter rodents (mice squirrels
>etc).

Ummm... no thanks. I don't need the moth ball smell in the kitchen.
The mice hang around where there's food, which means the kitchen.
They've done an impressive job of sneaking through tiny holes and
chewing their way through wood. I haven't had a cat for many years,
but when I did, the house was free of live mice.

Also have a different type of mouse infestation in my office:
<http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/office/slides/office-panorama-2.html>
See the trophies hanging on the door near the left.

John B.

Aug 28, 2016, 7:24:23 PM8/28/16
On Sun, 28 Aug 2016 10:57:08 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 28 Aug 2016 17:32:20 +0700, John B. <slocom...@gmail.xyz>
>wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 27 Aug 2016 23:24:41 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com>
>>wrote:
>>>If WD-40 were kerosene, it would burn. You could put some on a
>>>concrete or metal slab and try to ignite it. It won't burn:
>>><https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOfDwOSDLYM>
>>>Try that with kerosene and it will burn quite nicely. Therefore,
>>>WD-40 is not kerosene.
>
>>But it does burn. In fact it is a much favored starting fluid for
>>diesel engines. Problems starting on straight diesel" Gasoline, Ether
>>and Acetylene can cause problems but WD-4 is just right :-)
>
>Careful here. Watch the video above. When he puts a flame in front
>of the spray can, it's mostly the propellants that are burning.
>However, when he dumps some on the concrete slab, the WD-40, without
>the propellants, does not burn. Do the same thing with deodorized
>kerosene, and it will burn or flash.

I was careful.

Given that squirting a blob of WD-40 on a concrete block - it
immediately soaks in - might be a case of not exposing the WD-40 to
the sufficient oxygen I tied a rag to the end of a screwdriver and
than soaked the rag with WD-40. Then I waved the screwdriver around a
bit to be sure that the propellants were dispersed and lit it. Whoosh.
Then, knowing that Liebermann was a crafty old bloke I took a paper
cup and squirted sufficient WD-40 into the cup that I had, maybe 1/4"
of liquid in the cup. Waved the cup around to get rid of the
propellants and dipped a cotton-swab in the liquid and lit that.
Whoosh.

Next I tried the same thing with "Mineral Spirits" a paint thinner and
the closest thing I have on hand to kerosene. Whoosh.

>I just tried it with an aluminum plate. WD-40 won't burn using butane
>cigarette igniter. Kerosene fumes burn nicely.
>
>>True the propellant is flammable but the <25% "Petroleum Base Oil"
>>will certainly burn also :-)
>
>I'm sure that the necessary conditions for making it burn can be
>found. It's just that those conditions don't match the legal
>requirements for being considered "flammable" or "combustible".
><https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=INTERPRETATIONS&p_id=27488>

Certainly one can arrange a set of conditions where something will
burn or not burn - it is quite possible to repeatedly throw burning
matches into a pail of gasoline and have them extinguished when they
reach the liquid - I've done it myself and even won a dollar or so
betting I could do it :-)

I suspect that gasoline meets the requirements to be referred to as
"flammable" or "combustible"?

P.S. The MSDS for both WD-40 and WD-40-Bike label it as a Combustible
Liquid :-)

>>By the way, WD-40 doesn't claim to be a lubricant. The can says
>>Stops Squeaks, Drives out Moisture, Cleans and Protects, Loosens
>>Rusted Parts, Frees Sticky Mechanisms.
>>The closest it comes to a lubrication claim is that it stops squeaks.
>>(and you can stop squeaks by stamping on a mouse :-)
>
>There are many products that don't claim to provide some marginal
>function, mostly to avoid getting sued if used in such a manner. The
>entire dietary supplements industry is full of products with
>disclaimers and wholesale repudiation of responsibility warnings,
>mostly so that the product does not need to pass a very expensive FDA
>acceptance ordeal. WD-40 is certainly not advertised as a lubricant,
>but that won't prevent people from using it as such. As I mentioned,
>there are better lubricants available, but there are situations where
>a mediocre lube is more than adequate. See the Mythbusters episodes
>where Jamie applies copious quantities of lard as a lubricant. To the
>best of my limited knowledge, the swine industry does not recommend
>using its products for lubrication.

If you read a little history you will discover that the wheel bearing
lubricant used on wagons before, say 1860, was normally either pork or
beef fat. Out on the farm what else was there?

>Incidentally, I do have a mouse infestation problem every year during
>the fall. It gets cold and the mice move indoors. I haven't tried
>using WD-40 as a mouse exterminator, but it does seem like it might
>work. I'll let you know how it works in a few weeks.

Shoes!

Just as one requires a helmet to ride a bicycle the well dressed mouse
stomper will wear shoes.
--
cheers,

John B.

Frank Krygowski

Aug 28, 2016, 9:09:45 PM8/28/16
On 8/28/2016 5:45 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

> Also have a different type of mouse infestation in my office:
> <http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/office/slides/office-panorama-2.html>
> See the trophies hanging on the door near the left.

Nice hat!

--
- Frank Krygowski

Jeff Liebermann

Aug 29, 2016, 12:58:32 AM8/29/16
Thanks. My parents bought it for me during a visit to Disneyland,
probably in the 1960's. Better view:
<http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/office/slides/office-mess-04.html>
I like to wear it when I'm doing something that I really shouldn't be
doing. It doesn't work well on a ride. Too much wind resistance. The
mouse ears are sitting on top of a multicolor propeller hat. The
difficult part is keeping visiting kids from stealing the hats.

James

Aug 29, 2016, 1:17:43 AM8/29/16
On 28/08/16 04:17, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

> I wonder how many bicycle components such as freewheels and chains
> have been ruined because people thought WD-40 (Water Displacement
> Formula #40) was a lubricant? It might work for a short time but it
> comes off very quickly.

I cook my chains in a wax and oil blend. After a while the chain can
sound a little dry. A squirt of WD40 seems to soften the remaining wax,
and the chain then is silent for many hundreds of kms to follow.

YMMV, and probably will.

--
JS

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Aug 29, 2016, 11:52:43 AM8/29/16
gnaw not wd...use CRC silicone .....goes with the wax not against ....

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Aug 29, 2016, 11:56:05 AM8/29/16
unhealthy ....the mill I know of has walls holed by a giant rotraty rasp

goo.gl/zHo7Rc

right thru full dimension first growth hemlock planking

David Scheidt

Aug 29, 2016, 8:57:14 PM8/29/16
Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com> wrote:

:I'm fairly sure that much of the WD-40 formulation is mineral oil,
:which is a fairly tolerable lubricant.
:<http://www.wired.com/2009/04/st-whatsinside-6/>

It's largely kerosene, and a light imineral oil. An anylitical
chemist acquantance did some anaanlytical chemistry on it, and found
it to be a surprisingly specific set of the kerosene fraction, plus
some random other stuff, the details of which I do not remember.
It's the wrong choice for everything, but it's more wrong for some.

--
sig 128

Jeff Liebermann

Aug 29, 2016, 10:40:26 PM8/29/16
Wired Magazine hired a lab to run a gas chromatography and mass
spectroscopy analysis:
<http://www.wired.com/2009/04/st-whatsinside-6/>
No kerosene but plenty of mineral oil.

However, opinions seem to vary. I've seen the kerosene theory often
enough. Here's a motorcycle chain story comparing WD-40 with
kerosene.
<http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3689>
WD40 has much more thick viscosity than kerosene and unlike
kerosene it didn't want to wash dirt from chain, rather it
soaked in into dirt and I got part of that dirt on my cloth.

Here's one that says it's fish oil, which can't be right:
<https://www.facebook.com/notes/wwwcustomikescom/main-ingredient-in-wd-40/10150745438880425/>

Stoddard Solvent comes up often enough, but only because at one time,
it was the same as all types of mineral spirits.
<https://brokensecrets.com/2010/06/11/wd-40-ingredients-and-uses/>
<http://wd40.com/cool-stuff/myths-legends-fun-facts>
What's Stoddard Solvent?
Myth: WD-40® contains Stoddard Solvent.
Fact: Over the past few decades, the name Stoddard Solvent
was synonymous with all mineral spirits. Today, the mineral
spirits found in products like ours are more refined and
processed (see hydrogenation, hydrotreating and distillation
techniques) providing mixtures with varying boiling points,
cleaning ability, and chemical composition.

The catchall phrase "Stoddard Solvent" is no longer adequate
to tell the proper story. WD-40® does indeed have 50% mineral
spirits, but they are refined and purified for specific
characteristics needed to meet today’s performance, regulatory
and safety requirements.

It's mineral oil because:
1. The WD-40 FAQ says it's about half mineral oil.
2. It acts like mineral oil.
3. I doesn't act like the other candidates.
4. The only authoritative analysis I could find says it's mineral
oil.

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Aug 30, 2016, 6:46:21 AM8/30/16
Thanks Lieb !!!

a relief knowing WD is really deodorized kerosene.

John B.

Aug 30, 2016, 8:37:54 PM8/30/16
On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 19:40:23 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com>
wrote:
The MSDS lists the four Petroleum Base Oils used in WD-40.
They are CAS 64742-58-1, 64742-53-6, 64742-56-9, 64742-65-0

The description of CAS 64742-58-1, is for example:
Lubricating oils, petroleum, hydrotreated spent; Lubricating oils,
(petroleum), hydrotreated spent

CAS 64742-53-6 as:
Hydrotreated (mild) light naphthenic distillate; Hydrotreated (mild)
light naphthenic distillates (petroleum); Hydrotreated (severe) light
naphthenic distillate; Hydrotreated (severe) light naphthenic
distillates (petroleum); Hydrotreated light naphthenic distillate
solvent extract (petroleum); Technical white oil; Distillates
(petroleum), hydrotreated (mild) light naphthenic (9CI); Distillates
(petroleum), hydrotreated (severe) light naphthenic (9CI);
Distillates, petroleum, hydrotreated light naphthenic; Mineral oil,
petroleum distillates, hydrotreated (mild) light naphthenic; Mineral
oil, petroleum distillates, hydrotreated (severe) light naphthenic;
Petroleum distillates, hydrotreated light naphthenic; Distillates,
(petroleum), hydrotreated light naphthenic; Mineral oil, petroleum
distillates, hydrotreated light naphthenic

CAS 64742-56-9 as:
Solvent-dewaxed light paraffinic distillate; Solvent-dewaxed light
paraffinic distillates (petroleum); Distillates, petroleum,
solvent-dewaxed light paraffinic; Mineral oil, petroleum distillates,
solvent-dewaxed light paraffinic (mild or nosolvent-refining or
hydrotreatment); Mineral oil, petroleum distillates, solvent-dewaxed
light paraffinic (severe solvent-refiningand/or hydrotreatment);
Distillates (petroleum), solvent dewaxed light paraffinic distillate;
Distillates, (petroleum), solvent-dewaxed light paraffinic; Mineral
oil, petroleum distillates, solvent-dewaxed light paraffinic

CAS 64742-65-0 as:
Adriatic spindle oil; Heavy paraffinic base lube stock; Petroleum
distillates, solvent-dewaxed heavy paraffinic; Solvent-dewaxed heavy
paraffinic distillate; Solvent-dewaxed heavy paraffinic distillates
(petroleum); Distillates, petroleum, solvent-dewaxed heavy paraffinic;
Mineral oil, petroleum distillates, solvent-dewaxed heavy paraffinic
(mild or nosolvent-refining or hydrotreatment); Mineral oil, petroleum
distillates, solvent-dewaxed heavy paraffinic (severe
solvent-refiningand/or hydrotreatment); Distillates, (petroleum),
solvent-dewaxed heavy paraffinic
--
cheers,

John B.

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Aug 30, 2016, 9:08:01 PM8/30/16

James

Aug 31, 2016, 4:32:47 AM8/31/16
On 30/08/16 12:40, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 00:57:12 +0000 (UTC), David Scheidt
> <dsch...@panix.com> wrote:
>
>> Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com> wrote:
>>
>> :I'm fairly sure that much of the WD-40 formulation is mineral oil,
>> :which is a fairly tolerable lubricant.
>> :<http://www.wired.com/2009/04/st-whatsinside-6/>
>>
>> It's largely kerosene, and a light imineral oil. An anylitical
>> chemist acquantance did some anaanlytical chemistry on it, and found
>> it to be a surprisingly specific set of the kerosene fraction, plus
>> some random other stuff, the details of which I do not remember.
>> It's the wrong choice for everything, but it's more wrong for some.
>
> Wired Magazine hired a lab to run a gas chromatography and mass
> spectroscopy analysis:
> <http://www.wired.com/2009/04/st-whatsinside-6/>
> No kerosene but plenty of mineral oil.

What is kerosene if not a light mineral oil?

--
JS

Jeff Liebermann

Aug 31, 2016, 6:55:48 PM8/31/16
On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 18:32:41 +1000, James <james.e...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Kerosene is a paraffin based refinement of mineral oil. Some of the
other things that are refined from mineral oil are:
Paraffinic oils, based on n-alkanes (including kerosene)
Naphthenic oils, based on cycloalkanes
Aromatic oils, based on aromatic hydrocarbons and distinct
from essential oils
<https://www.researchgate.net/post/Whats_the_difference_between_mineral_oil_and_paraffin_oil>
So, you're correct that kerosene is a form of mineral oil, but not
correct that WD-40 contains only kerosene. It could also contain some
of the other types (naphtha or aromatic oils). It it were a mixture
of these, it would more properly be called mineral oil.

sms

Aug 31, 2016, 8:02:34 PM8/31/16
"The German version of the mandatory EU safety sheet lists the following
safety-relevant ingredients:

60–80% hydrogen-treated heavy naphtha
1–5% carbon dioxide"

---

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Aug 31, 2016, 8:53:26 PM8/31/16
nnnnnnnnnnnnnn-0

first off where were these alleged rocket parts stored ?

35.429250, -116.889653

is there a polymerizing effect ?

water displacement in Portland >\? obviously not

water displacement at 12% humidity ?

thirdly, the kerosene knowing runs deep across population strata, $$$ education free will ect.

was the kero understanding proffered by the refinery as negotiating a common understanding ?

less the Adriatic spindle oil grops, off course.

F-R-A-U-D

James

Aug 31, 2016, 11:03:26 PM8/31/16
Where did I claim that WD-40 contains only kerosene?

--
JS

Jeff Liebermann

Aug 31, 2016, 11:22:01 PM8/31/16
On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 17:02:09 -0700, sms <scharf...@geemail.com>
wrote:

>"The German version of the mandatory EU safety sheet lists the following
>safety-relevant ingredients:
>
>60–80% hydrogen-treated heavy naphtha
>1–5% carbon dioxide"

More commonly known as "heavy hydrogenated naphtha". It's sometimes
called hydrodesulphurised heavy naphtha. Heavy means a larger
molecule, that evaporates more slowly. Hydrogenated possibly means
that more alkenes (olefins) and possibly sulfur compounds have been
removed, because heavy naptha contains more of this junk. All this
means is you get a more purified naphtha. Note that the
"hydrogenated" term has nothing to do with the hydrogenated fats found
in our food.

David Scheidt

Aug 31, 2016, 11:31:40 PM8/31/16
:<dsch...@panix.com> wrote:

:>Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com> wrote:
:>
:>:I'm fairly sure that much of the WD-40 formulation is mineral oil,
:>:which is a fairly tolerable lubricant.
:>:<http://www.wired.com/2009/04/st-whatsinside-6/>
:>
:>It's largely kerosene, and a light imineral oil. An anylitical
:>chemist acquantance did some anaanlytical chemistry on it, and found
:>it to be a surprisingly specific set of the kerosene fraction, plus
:>some random other stuff, the details of which I do not remember.
:>It's the wrong choice for everything, but it's more wrong for some.

:Wired Magazine hired a lab to run a gas chromatography and mass
:spectroscopy analysis:
:<http://www.wired.com/2009/04/st-whatsinside-6/>

Which says it's large a bunch of hydrocarbons in the kerosene
fraction, and mineral oil. Helps to understand what your sources say.

That's what your other sources say, too, btw. Again, comprehend them
before using them.

--
sig 44

Jeff Liebermann

Sep 1, 2016, 1:08:46 AM9/1/16
On Thu, 1 Sep 2016 13:03:22 +1000, James <james.e...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Where did I claim that WD-40 contains only kerosene?

My appologies. I got your and David Scheidt's comments mixed up.
He said:
"It's largely kerosene, and a light mineral oil."
while you said:
"What is kerosene if not a light mineral oil?"
I wasn't quite sure if you were agreeing or asking for clarification.

John B.

Sep 1, 2016, 3:47:57 AM9/1/16
On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 22:08:49 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, 1 Sep 2016 13:03:22 +1000, James <james.e...@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Where did I claim that WD-40 contains only kerosene?
>
>My appologies. I got your and David Scheidt's comments mixed up.
>He said:
> "It's largely kerosene, and a light mineral oil."
>while you said:
> "What is kerosene if not a light mineral oil?"
>I wasn't quite sure if you were agreeing or asking for clarification.

One of the problems is semantics, I do believe. While kerosene is
sometimes referred to as an oil, as in "Lamp Oil", etc., it is
classified as a fuel, and has far lower lubricating qualities than
diesel fuel, for example, while generally speaking when one talks of
an oil, i.e., 3-1 Oil, motor Oil, etc., one is speaking of a substance
that's primary function is to lubricate something.

The various hydrocarbon substances in WD-40 are specified on the MSDS
form and none of them is kerosene. WD-40 contains substances in the
CAS 64742-xx-x range while Kerosene has a CAS number of 8008-20-6 and
may contain minimal quantities of other substances - Naphthalene
91-20-3 0 to 3% and Ethyl Benzene 100-41-4 0 to 1%

WD-40 CONTAINS NO KEROSENE!
--
cheers,

John B.

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Sep 1, 2016, 9:12:47 AM9/1/16
AUS HUMOR AAA .....

naptha is in GUMOUT .... I was wondering if naptha was a coating or carrier solvent....as with 'cleaning' surfaces as claimed by WD when cleaning solvent or redistributives/surfactants leaving a protective coating....the answer was resoleved with brake cleaner in serious conditions both coming and going or CRC Electronics cleaner for light duty use.

ie yesterday a thunderstorm snuck up on me n braced an open box of drill bits at the garage opening before closing time.

dumped bits into a towel (headed for polish/wax use) sprayed with electronics cleaner/acetic then silicone spray.

prob better than before next morning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naphtha

https://www.google.com/#q=wiki+adriatic+spindle+oil

harharhar.... spindle oil does relate to oil drilling !

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Sep 1, 2016, 9:15:30 AM9/1/16
you're being thickheaded John ....we're not talking chemistry we're talking selling wd40

Jeff Liebermann

Sep 1, 2016, 12:38:35 PM9/1/16
On Thu, 01 Sep 2016 14:47:53 +0700, John B. <slocom...@gmail.xyz>
wrote:

>One of the problems is semantics, I do believe. While kerosene is
>sometimes referred to as an oil, as in "Lamp Oil", etc., it is
>classified as a fuel, and has far lower lubricating qualities than
>diesel fuel, for example, while generally speaking when one talks of
>an oil, i.e., 3-1 Oil, motor Oil, etc., one is speaking of a substance
>that's primary function is to lubricate something.

You mean my salad oil and hair oil lubricate my intestines and head?

I thought I would be clever and excavate the definition of the word
oil to see if there was any distinction by its lubricating qualities.
Nope. It's a mess and full of exceptions. One definition says it's
anything that is not soluable in water, except for all the water
soluable oils. One suggests that it's derived from petroleum, except
for all the plant or mineral derived oils. Another suggests that it's
used for fuel or lubrication, which doesn't help much here, and
doesn't include dietary and cosmetic applications for oil. At this
point, if you asked me "what is an oil?", I could not produce a
definitive answer.

If I had to contrive a definition, it might be by how it's produced,
not by how it's used. In fractional distillation, the various major
petroleum fractions condense at different temperatures. Appoximate
temperatures and end products (all of which require additional
refining):
150C Gasoline
175C Naptha (mineral oils with <60% paraffin)
200C Kerosene, #1 Diesel
300C #2 Diesel
370C Fuel Oil
400C Asphalt, Parafin wax, lube oil, tar, Bunker T, etc.

<http://www.globalspec.com/learnmore/materials_chemicals_adhesives/industrial_oils_fluids/petroleum_mineral_oil_products>

>The various hydrocarbon substances in WD-40 are specified on the MSDS
>form and none of them is kerosene. WD-40 contains substances in the
>CAS 64742-xx-x range while Kerosene has a CAS number of 8008-20-6 and
>may contain minimal quantities of other substances - Naphthalene
>91-20-3 0 to 3% and Ethyl Benzene 100-41-4 0 to 1%
>
>WD-40 CONTAINS NO KEROSENE!

Very good and thanks for proving my point.

AMuzi

Sep 1, 2016, 12:58:33 PM9/1/16
On 9/1/2016 11:38 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Sep 2016 14:47:53 +0700, John B. <slocom...@gmail.xyz>
> wrote:
> snip WD40 and also lubricants-

> if you asked me "what is an oil?", I could not produce a
> definitive answer.

Not just petroleum products. Your typical "Italian Olive
Oil" is actually from Spain.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Sep 1, 2016, 6:16:12 PM9/1/16
AE6KS

fOREST/TREES Lieb...

OIL a viscous liquid derived from petroleum, especially for use as a fuel or lubricant.

not SALAD oil

PALM oil

MINERAL oil

not not not ....

oil is oil but SALAD oil is ......

WD40 is mainly deodorized kerosene composed of:

ADRIATIC spindell oil .....

naptha

ect.

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Sep 1, 2016, 6:17:06 PM9/1/16
that's because the Italians are .....

David Scheidt

Sep 2, 2016, 12:15:22 AM9/2/16
:> wrote:
:> snip WD40 and also lubricants-

:> if you asked me "what is an oil?", I could not produce a
:> definitive answer.

:Not just petroleum products. Your typical "Italian Olive
:Oil" is actually from Spain.

Oly the fancy stuff. North africa or west asia are more likely for
stuff that's actually olive oil. Stuff that's really canola, who
knows...

:--
:Andrew Muzi
: <www.yellowjersey.org/>
: Open every day since 1 April, 1971

--
sig 64

John B.

Sep 2, 2016, 1:42:43 AM9/2/16
On Thu, 01 Sep 2016 09:38:30 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com>
wrote:
Or perhaps:

"When I use a word", Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it
means just what I choose it to mean, neither more nor less".
"The question is", said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so
many different things".
"The question is", said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master. that's
all".

I rather believe that Lewis Carroll may have foreseen the coming of
Usenet :-)

><http://www.globalspec.com/learnmore/materials_chemicals_adhesives/industrial_oils_fluids/petroleum_mineral_oil_products>
>
>>The various hydrocarbon substances in WD-40 are specified on the MSDS
>>form and none of them is kerosene. WD-40 contains substances in the
>>CAS 64742-xx-x range while Kerosene has a CAS number of 8008-20-6 and
>>may contain minimal quantities of other substances - Naphthalene
>>91-20-3 0 to 3% and Ethyl Benzene 100-41-4 0 to 1%
>>
>>WD-40 CONTAINS NO KEROSENE!
>
>Very good and thanks for proving my point.
--
cheers,

John B.

John B.

Sep 2, 2016, 1:43:20 AM9/2/16
On Thu, 01 Sep 2016 11:58:31 -0500, AMuzi <a...@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

>On 9/1/2016 11:38 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
>> On Thu, 01 Sep 2016 14:47:53 +0700, John B. <slocom...@gmail.xyz>
>> wrote:
>> snip WD40 and also lubricants-
>
>> if you asked me "what is an oil?", I could not produce a
>> definitive answer.
>
>Not just petroleum products. Your typical "Italian Olive
>Oil" is actually from Spain.

No extra virgins left in Italy?
--
cheers,