Lubricating Look Keo Classics

Michael

Jun 26, 2016, 12:26:47 AM6/26/16
My left pedal is starting to chirp a little bit. What's the proper lubrication for these?

Much appreciated.

Mike

Duane

Jun 26, 2016, 6:15:08 AM6/26/16
I have the Keo Max and they just started that. I was going to use finish
line dry but wasn't sure about using that on pedals. So I'm wondering as
well what is recommended.

--
duane

MJP

Jun 26, 2016, 6:21:20 AM6/26/16
Silicone furniture polish, if you mean for the cleat mechanism.

MJP

"Duane" wrote in message

Duane

Jun 26, 2016, 7:35:50 AM6/26/16
To the OP, do you use the cleats with the non slip pads?

--
duane

AMuzi

Jun 26, 2016, 9:54:26 AM6/26/16
You can remove the spindle/bearing assembly, rinse clean
with solvent then grease bearings and re install into the
clean pedal body.

Trying to drip lubricant into a contaminated bearing may
more likely just flow more dirt inside.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Tosspot

Jun 26, 2016, 11:08:15 AM6/26/16
On 26/06/16 15:54, AMuzi wrote:
> On 6/26/2016 5:15 AM, Duane wrote:
>> Michael <michael...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> My left pedal is starting to chirp a little bit. What's the proper
>>> lubrication for these?
>>>
>>> Much appreciated.
>>>
>>> Mike
>>>

>> I have the Keo Max and they just started that. I was going to use finish
>> line dry but wasn't sure about using that on pedals. So I'm wondering as
>> well what is recommended.
>>

> You can remove the spindle/bearing assembly, rinse clean with solvent
> then grease bearings and re install into the clean pedal body.
>
> Trying to drip lubricant into a contaminated bearing may more likely
> just flow more dirt inside.

In my experience this is *exactly* what happens. You really need to get
them apart and have a good look/clean/reassemble.

Michael

Jun 26, 2016, 2:15:58 PM6/26/16
Yes I do. Will that make a difference? Thanks.

Mike

Frank Krygowski

Jun 26, 2016, 3:38:53 PM6/26/16
On 6/26/2016 9:54 AM, AMuzi wrote:

> You can remove the spindle/bearing assembly, rinse clean with solvent
> then grease bearings and re install into the clean pedal body.
>
> Trying to drip lubricant into a contaminated bearing may more likely
> just flow more dirt inside.

SunTour's Grease Guard system seemed like a good idea, but AFAIK it died
with the original SunTour company.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Jeff Liebermann

Jun 26, 2016, 4:50:47 PM6/26/16
Well, if wax works so well keeping dirt out of a bicycle chain, it
should work equally well on pedals. Just a thought as I've never
tried wax on pedals.

Perhaps installing grease (Zerk) fittings on pedals and other bicycle
parts that are badly sealed and/or require routine lubrication:
<http://oasisdesign.net/transport/bikes/greasefittings.htm>
I'm tempted to spend the $5.00 on the how-to article. However, it
goes against my quest for a zero maintenance bicycle.

(15 mins later...)

I couldn't resist and bought the article. 8 pages. I think it's
worth the price. Lots of little details that I probably would have
fumbled with doing my usual learn by destroying(tm). For pedals,
there are some decisions to be made, but it looks easy enough.

--
Jeff Liebermann je...@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Duane

Jun 26, 2016, 7:59:36 PM6/26/16
I'm using them too. I've heard people claim that the nonslip cleats cause
squeaking. Maybe I'll try the bare ones.

--
duane

James

Jun 26, 2016, 11:31:25 PM6/26/16
On 26/06/16 23:54, AMuzi wrote:
> On 6/26/2016 5:15 AM, Duane wrote:
>> Michael <michael...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> My left pedal is starting to chirp a little bit. What's the proper
>>> lubrication for these?
>>>
>>> Much appreciated.
>>>
>>> Mike
>>>

>> I have the Keo Max and they just started that. I was going to use finish
>> line dry but wasn't sure about using that on pedals. So I'm wondering as
>> well what is recommended.
>>

> You can remove the spindle/bearing assembly, rinse clean with solvent
> then grease bearings and re install into the clean pedal body.
>
> Trying to drip lubricant into a contaminated bearing may more likely
> just flow more dirt inside.

What if it is not the bearings? It could be the spring pivot, or
cleat/pedal interface.

--
JS

jbeattie

Jun 26, 2016, 11:48:09 PM6/26/16
It can also be the pedal threads. The Keos on Hollowtech cranks has a rather loose fit. Mine were making an incredible amount of noise, and my first thought was that I had a bad BB30 bearing, but I had just pressed in some new bearings. So, I removed the pedals, wrapped them with Teflon tape, and all my problems were solved -- until I get the next noise.

Cleat squeaking has a distinctive sound, and for that, I put some Armour All on my cleat or, sometimes, some TriFlo on the pedal surface.

-- Jay Beattie.

AMuzi

Jun 27, 2016, 8:16:19 AM6/27/16
On 6/26/2016 3:50 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 15:38:49 -0400, Frank Krygowski
> <frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> On 6/26/2016 9:54 AM, AMuzi wrote:
>>>
>>> You can remove the spindle/bearing assembly, rinse clean with solvent
>>> then grease bearings and re install into the clean pedal body.
>>>
>>> Trying to drip lubricant into a contaminated bearing may more likely
>>> just flow more dirt inside.
>>
>> SunTour's Grease Guard system seemed like a good idea, but AFAIK it died
>> with the original SunTour company.
>
> Well, if wax works so well keeping dirt out of a bicycle chain, it
> should work equally well on pedals. Just a thought as I've never
> tried wax on pedals.
>
> Perhaps installing grease (Zerk) fittings on pedals and other bicycle
> parts that are badly sealed and/or require routine lubrication:
> <http://oasisdesign.net/transport/bikes/greasefittings.htm>
> I'm tempted to spend the $5.00 on the how-to article. However, it
> goes against my quest for a zero maintenance bicycle.
>
> (15 mins later...)
>
> I couldn't resist and bought the article. 8 pages. I think it's
> worth the price. Lots of little details that I probably would have
> fumbled with doing my usual learn by destroying(tm). For pedals,
> there are some decisions to be made, but it looks easy enough.

Prior art here:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/TAPED.JPG

Duane

Jun 27, 2016, 8:50:59 AM6/27/16
Don't know about the OP, but for mine, it's not really the typical
squeak. It's got a sort of springy sound to it. I think it's probably
the internal mech. and it probably needs grease. I'm just hesitant to
put grease anywhere near where it can get on my shoes.