Emacs for over aged hippies?!

Emanuel Berg

Aug 15, 2016, 7:15:35 AM8/15/16
I was in a discussion on rec.bicycles.tech on
the properties of the combination spanner
(combination wrench) but as it happened the
discussion drifted away across the Pacific to
Easter Island, Russian history, and

Word Star, perhaps the most successful of
the early word processes. It was
a monolithic program in assembly language
and ran on the Z-80 processor, on the CP/M
operating system. It was written by a guy
named " John Robbins Barnaby", in four
months. 137,000 lines of assembler code.

To this I wrote:

There is an Emacs mode (built in,
actually): wordstar-mode Command: Major
mode with WordStar-like key bindings.

Is that the same? Sounds like it.

For the real deal tho one would get a Z-80
CP/M emulator to run... or a time machine.

And then I got:

Emacs? Good Lord! I thought you had to be
an over aged hippie to use that :-)

???

- so far: 66 Blogomatic articles -

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Aug 15, 2016, 1:40:06 PM8/15/16
CUT BACK ON THE RUTBAGA

Mike Causer

Aug 15, 2016, 2:47:11 PM8/15/16
On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 13:15:31 +0200
Emanuel Berg <embe...@student.uu.se> wrote:

> Emacs? Good Lord! I thought you had to be
> an over aged hippie to use that :-)

Beware: Followup-To setting!

Mike

Emanuel Berg

Aug 15, 2016, 3:04:23 PM8/15/16

Is that something you typically mention?

If so, sorry, just thought it was more Emacs
than bikes and it would be interesting to see
what the gnu.emacs.help people would say.

Anyway, next time.

sms

Aug 15, 2016, 4:06:18 PM8/15/16
On 8/15/2016 4:15 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
> I was in a discussion on rec.bicycles.tech on
> the properties of the combination spanner
> (combination wrench) but as it happened the
> discussion drifted away across the Pacific to
> Easter Island, Russian history, and
>
> Word Star, perhaps the most successful of
> the early word processes. It was
> a monolithic program in assembly language
> and ran on the Z-80 processor, on the CP/M
> operating system. It was written by a guy
> named " John Robbins Barnaby", in four
> months. 137,000 lines of assembler code.

You can still run Wordstar under V-DOS.

Install VDOS <https://www.vdos.info/files/20160601/vDosSetup.exe>

Install Wordstar
<https://winworldpc.com/download/46C67977-18DA-11E4-99E5-7054D21A8599>

Not sure how you'd print unless you had a legacy parallel port card in
your system that you could set to the legacy PPT address, as well as a
supported printer.

Tim McNamara

Aug 17, 2016, 6:21:43 PM8/17/16
On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 21:04:21 +0200, Emanuel Berg
<embe...@student.uu.se> wrote:
> Mike Causer wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 13:15:31 +0200 Emanuel Berg
>> <embe...@student.uu.se> wrote:
>>
>>> Emacs? Good Lord! I thought you had to be an over aged hippie to
>>> use that :-)
>>
>> Beware: Followup-To setting!

> Is that something you typically mention?
>
> If so, sorry, just thought it was more Emacs than bikes and it would
> be interesting to see what the gnu.emacs.help people would say.

OK, but you posted this to rec.bicycles.tech, not to gnu.emacs.help...
Hence the warning about the Followup-To: setting

John B.

Aug 17, 2016, 8:05:51 PM8/17/16
When did this site get rededicated as Rec. Fuck-Wittery. Tech?
--
cheers,

John B.

Emanuel Berg

Sep 2, 2016, 11:26:52 AM9/2/16
Tim McNamara wrote:

> OK, but you posted this to rec.bicycles.tech,
> not to gnu.emacs.help... Hence the warning
> about the Followup-To: setting

I posted it to *both* rec.bicycles.tech and
gnu.emacs.help, a so-called crosspost :)

If there isn't a crosspost, i.e. a second
newsgroup recipient, there is no need to
specify to what newsgroups replies should go
(indeed, the Followup-To header) - is there?

Or "should" - it is a recommendation from the
poster which the newsreader (Gnus in my case)
insists on. Everyone is free to do whatever
they want, including post to whatever newsgroup
they see fit. I guess I was just born that
generous :)

- so far: 68 Blogomatic articles -