California risk

AMuzi

Apr 17, 2017, 6:56:53 PM4/17/17

Andy

Apr 17, 2017, 10:02:54 PM4/17/17
Though it is not bicycle related....

It looks pretty obvious that their front door was left open.

And probably the bedroom as well.

Did the mountain lion escape on a bicycle ?

The dog probably waked up neighbors, so maybe the kidnapping was justified.

Andy

Joerg

Apr 20, 2017, 1:15:58 PM4/20/17
Happens. A recent cat visit in a neighboring village here ended more
peacefully, in the end the mountain lion just messed up their kitchen:

http://www.abc10.com/news/local/california/family-survives-mountain-lion-home-invasion/430031662

They are out here. Most people like myself ride anyhow, you just have to
be vigilant and not do risky stuff. For example, fixing something on the
bike where a crouched position is unavoidable is best done in an open
area without thick brush where you can see what may be coming or
lurking. I also carry spray though that may be of limited value in a
fast attack or against the wind.

http://www.foresthillmessenger.com/opinion/editorials/keeping-mountain-lions-and-you-out-of-trouble/article_00c16f1a-7589-11e6-adeb-3bbfabf05977.html

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Doug Landau

Apr 20, 2017, 6:45:33 PM4/20/17
On Thursday, April 20, 2017 at 10:15:58 AM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
> On 2017-04-17 15:56, AMuzi wrote:
> > Hey Joerg:
> >
> > http://ktla.com/2017/04/17/mountain-lion-walks-into-norcal-bedroom-where-mom-and-child-were-sleeping-snatches-small-dog/
> >

> Happens. A recent cat visit in a neighboring village here ended more
> peacefully, in the end the mountain lion just messed up their kitchen:
>
> http://www.abc10.com/news/local/california/family-survives-mountain-lion-home-invasion/430031662
>
> They are out here. Most people like myself ride anyhow, you just have to
> be vigilant and not do risky stuff. For example, fixing something on the
> bike where a crouched position is unavoidable is best done in an open
> area without thick brush where you can see what may be coming or
> lurking. I also carry spray though that may be of limited value in a
> fast attack or against the wind.

I've had three stare-downs with them so far. (I won all three :) They are not looking at you like prey they are angry with you for being on their turf. They scowl at you with indignation but if you look at them even angrier, they decide to let you off with a warning.

Joerg

Apr 20, 2017, 6:54:12 PM4/20/17
Just don't get into politics when you talk to them :-)

So far the only wild animal that followed me was a little bear. Stayed
at a safe distance from me though. It probably wanted my backpack or the
contents of it, maybe hoping I'd drop it. Didn't work and eventually he
or she called it a day.

Sir Ridesalot

Apr 20, 2017, 7:29:41 PM4/20/17
And just hope that any of the mountain lions you DON'T see, pounce on you from above and behind as you ride by them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FQWwVpxQsw

Kind of like in the westerns wherethe experienced sargeant tells the new troopers about Indians, "It's the ones you DON'T see that you have to worry about".

Cheers

Doug Landau

Apr 20, 2017, 8:32:35 PM4/20/17

> And just hope that any of the mountain lions you DON'T see, pounce on you from above and behind as you ride by them.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FQWwVpxQsw

Oh Jeez Louise. Did you actually watch the video?
1. When staring down mountain lions, it helps to have balls between your legs.
2. Look at victim #1, at 1:29. I mean, how scary could she possibly look?
3. Now look at victim #2, at 12:51. If I saw -her- on the trail I would want to pounce on her too!

cycl...@gmail.com

Apr 21, 2017, 10:44:35 AM4/21/17
Yeah - mountain lions aren't bright enough to know that global warming is nothing more than a Marxist hoax. They think it's a complete accident that there is far more food around and that their own breeding is so active that the children are raiding homes.