A bike that even Joerg couldn't break?

James

Nov 18, 2016, 3:58:47 PM11/18/16

Duane

Nov 18, 2016, 4:03:26 PM11/18/16
On 18/11/2016 3:58 PM, James wrote:
> https://au.pinterest.com/pin/211174962797382/

Sir Ridesalot has been recommending something like this to Joerg for
months. <g>

Joerg

Nov 18, 2016, 4:04:04 PM11/18/16
On 2016-11-18 12:58, James wrote:
> https://au.pinterest.com/pin/211174962797382/

Not sure. A couple weeks ago I bent the lower pin of the rear shock on
my MTB. That was thought to be impossible. Until now :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Doug Landau

Nov 18, 2016, 4:39:07 PM11/18/16
On Friday, November 18, 2016 at 1:04:04 PM UTC-8, Joerg wrote:
> On 2016-11-18 12:58, James wrote:
> > https://au.pinterest.com/pin/211174962797382/
> >

> Not sure. A couple weeks ago I bent the lower pin of the rear shock on
> my MTB. That was thought to be impossible. Until now :-(

We don't believe you. Where is the data? Show us the pics.

Joerg

Nov 18, 2016, 5:05:04 PM11/18/16
On 2016-11-18 13:39, Doug Landau wrote:
> On Friday, November 18, 2016 at 1:04:04 PM UTC-8, Joerg wrote:
>> On 2016-11-18 12:58, James wrote:
>>> https://au.pinterest.com/pin/211174962797382/
>>>

>> Not sure. A couple weeks ago I bent the lower pin of the rear shock on
>> my MTB. That was thought to be impossible. Until now :-(
>
> We don't believe you.

Who is "we"? You are newsgroup president-elect and speak for the group?

> ... Where is the data? Show us the pics.

How should I take a pic? You won't see the bend on a photo. You can
clearly feel it when fastening it. I wouldn't care but because of the
bend it now turns itself at times and that can loosen it. So now I carry
the 6mm Allen wrench in my back pocket instead of in the tool kit.

Sir Ridesalot

Nov 18, 2016, 6:38:52 PM11/18/16
The 'we' is probably most everyone here who either read your posts or read your statements in posts others make.

Cheers

jbeattie

Nov 18, 2016, 8:26:08 PM11/18/16
On Friday, November 18, 2016 at 2:05:04 PM UTC-8, Joerg wrote:
> On 2016-11-18 13:39, Doug Landau wrote:
> >>>

> >> Not sure. A couple weeks ago I bent the lower pin of the rear shock on
> >> my MTB. That was thought to be impossible. Until now :-(
> >
> > We don't believe you.
>

> Who is "we"? You are newsgroup president-elect and speak for the group?

Yes, he is.

> > ... Where is the data? Show us the pics.
> >

> How should I take a pic? You won't see the bend on a photo. You can
> clearly feel it when fastening it. I wouldn't care but because of the
> bend it now turns itself at times and that can loosen it. So now I carry
> the 6mm Allen wrench in my back pocket instead of in the tool kit.

BTW, it was never thought to be impossible. See e.g. http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/replacement-shock-pivot-bolt-where-from

What you do is this: (1) get on your bike, (2) ride that gnarly trail to Home Depot, avoiding mountain lions; (3) buy a 6M replacement bolt, (4) ride home and inflate your rear shock -- or maybe do that before you leave. Your problem is not uncommon for people who do not keep their shocks inflated.

If it were me, I would just stop here on the way home from work: http://aboysupply.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/harware_slider1-1024x415_c.png Plenty of metric SS fasteners. No mountain lions.

-- Jay Beattie.

Joerg

Nov 19, 2016, 10:31:48 AM11/19/16
On 2016-11-18 17:26, jbeattie wrote:
> On Friday, November 18, 2016 at 2:05:04 PM UTC-8, Joerg wrote:

>>> We don't believe you.
>>

>> Who is "we"? You are newsgroup president-elect and speak for the
>> group?
>
> Yes, he is.

Oh, I must have missed the elections.

>>> ... Where is the data? Show us the pics.
>>>

>> How should I take a pic? You won't see the bend on a photo. You
>> can clearly feel it when fastening it. I wouldn't care but because
>> of the bend it now turns itself at times and that can loosen it. So
>> now I carry the 6mm Allen wrench in my back pocket instead of in
>> the tool kit.
>
> BTW, it was never thought to be impossible. See e.g.
> http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/replacement-shock-pivot-bolt-where-from

That's why I wrote "thought" to be impossible. I never believed it to
be, on bicycles almost anything can brake even without "off-label use".

> What you do is this: (1) get on your bike, (2) ride that gnarly
> trail to Home Depot, avoiding mountain lions; (3) buy a 6M
> replacement bolt, (4) ride home and inflate your rear shock -- or
> maybe do that before you leave.

It ain't that simple. This is a bolt set where the "nut" isn't a nut but
a long sleeve which represents the pivot. Both are bent. The heads are
also part of the system and must fit their mounts snugly. You can see
the mount in the middle here:

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/Muddy3.JPG

I am sure I can buy a replacement from the bike fram mfg but I'd rather
like something stronger.

> ... Your problem is not uncommon for
> people who do not keep their shocks inflated.

My bikes are on checklists just like a lot of other stuff around here.
For the MTB two of the items are shock and fork pressure. The lowest I
let the shock get is 180psi and the fork gets ar when it has dropped to
110psi.

> If it were me, I would just stop here on the way home from work:
> http://aboysupply.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/harware_slider1-1024x415_c.png
> Plenty of metric SS fasteners. No mountain lions.

I doubt they'd have this kind.

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Nov 19, 2016, 10:35:22 AM11/19/16
On Friday, November 18, 2016 at 3:58:47 PM UTC-5, James wrote:
> https://au.pinterest.com/pin/211174962797382/
>
> --
> Js

IF THE GERMANS can destroy the planet, surly a bicycle.

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Nov 19, 2016, 12:28:26 PM11/19/16
we and thou are fairly neutral so doahn blow a fuse ...

6mm bolts are maintenance bolts. 6mm are for sport touring n when yawl exceed sport touring or OEM gotta upgrade and replace.

experience here is hardware store ...the usual tray setup...6mm G5's for bottom rear rack into OEM (78 carbon steel Raleigh) are good for 1 yr/5000 miles only.

so whatever crazy shit you're into clearly exceeds OEM n the trays

https://www.mcmaster.com/#metric-hex-head-cap-screws/=153yihj

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Nov 19, 2016, 12:31:33 PM11/19/16
https://www.mcmaster.com/#metric-hex-head-cap-screws/=153yl3c

good price but needs a precise washer to washer slip fit bushing

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Nov 19, 2016, 12:34:10 PM11/19/16
partially threaded yellow

https://www.mcmaster.com/#metric-hex-head-cap-screws/=153ymch

still needing a slip fit. no point to this if the bolt rattles around inside the frame.

cycl...@gmail.com

Nov 19, 2016, 1:58:50 PM11/19/16
Joerg - we're definitely going to have to work on your sense of humor.

Joerg

Nov 19, 2016, 2:06:50 PM11/19/16
On 2016-11-19 09:34, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
> On Saturday, November 19, 2016 at 12:31:33 PM UTC-5, DATAKOLL MARINE
> RESEARCH wrote:
>> On Saturday, November 19, 2016 at 12:28:26 PM UTC-5, DATAKOLL
>> MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
>>> we and thou are fairly neutral so doahn blow a fuse ...
>>>
>>> 6mm bolts are maintenance bolts. 6mm are for sport touring n when
>>> yawl exceed sport touring or OEM gotta upgrade and replace.
>>>
>>> experience here is hardware store ...the usual tray setup...6mm
>>> G5's for bottom rear rack into OEM (78 carbon steel Raleigh) are
>>> good for 1 yr/5000 miles only.
>>>
>>> so whatever crazy shit you're into clearly exceeds OEM n the
>>> trays

If a bike is marketed as an XC bike then one would expect stuff on there
to survive trail riding.

>>> https://www.mcmaster.com/#metric-hex-head-cap-screws/=153yihj
>>
>> https://www.mcmaster.com/#metric-hex-head-cap-screws/=153yl3c
>>
>> good price but needs a precise washer to washer slip fit bushing
>
> partially threaded yellow
>
> https://www.mcmaster.com/#metric-hex-head-cap-screws/=153ymch
>
> still needing a slip fit. no point to this if the bolt rattles around
> inside the frame.

It's more complicated than that. The sleeve must be an exact fit and so
must be the (non-threaded) shaft parts and the Allen heads.

Joerg

Nov 19, 2016, 2:07:36 PM11/19/16
Yeah, I need emoticons to trigger my irony detector :-)

Doug Landau

Nov 19, 2016, 2:34:52 PM11/19/16
Those are nice, James.

But you are wasting your breath. I already found a bike for Joerg which he can't break, and it is affordable, and it is right in his own town!

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/5828878707.html

He is disinterested.

AMuzi

Nov 19, 2016, 2:42:22 PM11/19/16
I sold those new.

CB-1 is not very durable in high-mileage daily urban use.
Regular offroad would eat that up in short order. No worse
than similarly priced bikes of the era (which is lousy).

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Joerg

Nov 19, 2016, 3:43:42 PM11/19/16
On 2016-11-19 11:42, AMuzi wrote:
> On 11/19/2016 1:34 PM, Doug Landau wrote:
>> Those are nice, James.
>>
>> But you are wasting your breath. I already found a bike for Joerg
>> which he can't break, and it is affordable, and it is right in his own
>> town!
>>
>> https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/5828878707.html
>>
>> He is disinterested.
>>

> I sold those new.
>
> CB-1 is not very durable in high-mileage daily urban use. Regular
> offroad would eat that up in short order. No worse than similarly priced
> bikes of the era (which is lousy).

I rode such cheap bikes when I was at university. The budget didn't
allow for more. I bought them used after people graduated, usually for
$30 or so. They lasted on average one year. After that year almost
everything was shot, BB, freewheel, axles, rims et cetera. Fixing all
that would cost 3-5x the money compared to just buying another used bike.

Gregory Sutter

Nov 20, 2016, 4:15:24 AM11/20/16
On 2016-11-18, Sir Ridesalot <i_am_cyc...@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> The 'we' is probably most everyone here who either read your posts
> or read your statements in posts others make.

I read Joerg's posts, and I believe he breaks a lot of things. It's
not so incredible to think that hard use will destroy bike parts,
really. The only thing I find truly incredible is his resistance to
carrying a chain tool. Rocks and sticks, feh.

--
Gregory S. Sutter Mostly Harmless
mailto:gsu...@zer0.org

Frank Krygowski

Nov 20, 2016, 10:15:03 AM11/20/16
On 11/20/2016 4:15 AM, Gregory Sutter wrote:
> On 2016-11-18, Sir Ridesalot <i_am_cyc...@yahoo.ca> wrote:
>>
>> The 'we' is probably most everyone here who either read your posts
>> or read your statements in posts others make.
>
> I read Joerg's posts, and I believe he breaks a lot of things. It's
> not so incredible to think that hard use will destroy bike parts,
> really. The only thing I find truly incredible is his resistance to
> carrying a chain tool. Rocks and sticks, feh.

I don't doubt that Joerg breaks stuff, but I think "hard use" depends a
lot on riding technique. IOW, I think you can send two riders of
identical weight and power on identical rides on identical bikes and
have very different amounts of bike damage.

--
- Frank Krygowski

cycl...@gmail.com

Nov 20, 2016, 12:00:04 PM11/20/16
And I agree. I have a Bridgestone XO-1 in my garage that my youngest daughter rode from the Pacific Ocean in Oregon to the Atlantic Ocean in Virginia without so much as a flat.

Joerg

Nov 21, 2016, 10:59:25 AM11/21/16
On 2016-11-20 01:15, Gregory Sutter wrote:
> On 2016-11-18, Sir Ridesalot <i_am_cyc...@yahoo.ca> wrote:
>>
>> The 'we' is probably most everyone here who either read your posts
>> or read your statements in posts others make.
>
> I read Joerg's posts, and I believe he breaks a lot of things. It's
> not so incredible to think that hard use will destroy bike parts,
> really. The only thing I find truly incredible is his resistance to
> carrying a chain tool. Rocks and sticks, feh.

Although my tool kit weighs over a pound I am a minimalist in that
respect. I carry only tools that cannot be replaced by a McGyver trick.
A chain can be fixed without a chain tool so why carry one?

I rather carry an extra bottle of water, dextrose tablets and such in
case I find a hiker who grossly underestimated their hydration and
energy need. There were a few. One of them was already passed out on the
ground.

jbeattie

Nov 21, 2016, 12:21:06 PM11/21/16

Are you f****** kidding? You carry a tool so you can repair your chain in five minutes instead of an hour looking for a nail, rock, etc., etc. That's crazy. Why carry any tools when you can build a small forge and beat a nail into a hex wrench, etc., etc.?

> I rather carry an extra bottle of water, dextrose tablets and such in
> case I find a hiker who grossly underestimated their hydration and
> energy need. There were a few. One of them was already passed out on the
> ground.

And he or she wasn't eaten by a mountain lion? Thank Buddha. Why not take an automatic emergency defibrillator or some field dressings and splints? Maybe the downed hiker needed insulin -- take some of that too. But don't burden yourself with a 185g multi-tool. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/topeak-18-mini-tool/rp-prod11318?gs=1&gclid=CPG9nc6tutACFU2BfgodkSMN0Q&gclsrc=aw.ds That would be too much and probably cause all the fasteners on your bike to explode.

-- Jay Beattie.

Doug Landau

Nov 21, 2016, 12:26:38 PM11/21/16
Yabbut how much does she weigh

Duane

Nov 21, 2016, 12:28:51 PM11/21/16

Joerg

Nov 21, 2016, 1:05:42 PM11/21/16
On 2016-11-21 09:21, jbeattie wrote:
> On Monday, November 21, 2016 at 7:59:25 AM UTC-8, Joerg wrote:

>>> I read Joerg's posts, and I believe he breaks a lot of things.
>>> It's not so incredible to think that hard use will destroy bike
>>> parts, really. The only thing I find truly incredible is his
>>> resistance to carrying a chain tool. Rocks and sticks, feh.
>>>

>> Although my tool kit weighs over a pound I am a minimalist in that
>> respect. I carry only tools that cannot be replaced by a McGyver
>> trick. A chain can be fixed without a chain tool so why carry one?
>
> Are you f****** kidding? You carry a tool so you can repair your
> chain in five minutes instead of an hour looking for a nail, rock,
> etc., etc. That's crazy. Why carry any tools when you can build a
> small forge and beat a nail into a hex wrench, etc., etc.?

If you need an hour to find that stuff you should sign up for a new
round of survival training. Or join the scouts. Or army boot camp.

>> I rather carry an extra bottle of water, dextrose tablets and such
>> in case I find a hiker who grossly underestimated their hydration
>> and energy need. There were a few. One of them was already passed
>> out on the ground.
>
> And he or she wasn't eaten by a mountain lion?

Out there that could have happened.

> ... Thank Buddha. Why not
> take an automatic emergency defibrillator or some field dressings and
> splints? Maybe the downed hiker needed insulin -- take some of that
> too. But don't burden yourself with a 185g multi-tool.
> http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/topeak-18-mini-tool/rp-prod11318?gs=1&gclid=CPG9nc6tutACFU2BfgodkSMN0Q&gclsrc=aw.ds
> That would be too much and probably cause all the fasteners on your
> bike to explode.

Topeak is a good brand. Most of the time. Their Pocket Rocket pump has
saved the day for many other riders. The tire levers, well, on one of
them the tip broke off :-(

Joerg

Nov 21, 2016, 1:09:10 PM11/21/16
She probably also didn't take direct routes such as this one from Lotus
to Folsom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5cjAW_nrl4

That is a normal trail out here.

jbeattie

Nov 21, 2016, 2:06:47 PM11/21/16
On Monday, November 21, 2016 at 10:05:42 AM UTC-8, Joerg wrote:
> On 2016-11-21 09:21, jbeattie wrote:

> >> Although my tool kit weighs over a pound I am a minimalist in that
> >> respect. I carry only tools that cannot be replaced by a McGyver
> >> trick. A chain can be fixed without a chain tool so why carry one?
> >
> > Are you f****** kidding? You carry a tool so you can repair your
> > chain in five minutes instead of an hour looking for a nail, rock,
> > etc., etc. That's crazy. Why carry any tools when you can build a
> > small forge and beat a nail into a hex wrench, etc., etc.?
> >

> If you need an hour to find that stuff you should sign up for a new
> round of survival training. Or join the scouts. Or army boot camp.

So, in the middle of god-forsaken nowhere -- a place filled with marauding mountain lions, where people are prostrate on the ground, dying of dehydration -- you can find a suitable nail to beat out a chain link pin? Is the nail from the fence on the 18th hole? http://cameronparkcc.com/ Maybe the guy's on the ground because he missed his drive and is just pissed off.

You have to be a spectacular dumb-f*** to be hunting around for a nail and a rock to fix a chain -- on purpose. You have to be about that dumb to take off into the wilderness of Cameron Park without any water on a hot day. The mortality rate in your suburb must be about 50%.

-- Jay Beattie.

Doug Landau

Nov 21, 2016, 3:22:33 PM11/21/16
Joerg is lion-resistant
It happens
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW4G_nWJYZA

James

Nov 21, 2016, 4:01:15 PM11/21/16
On 22/11/16 07:22, Doug Landau wrote:

> Joerg is lion-resistant
> It happens
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW4G_nWJYZA

Is that like being water resistant? ISTM that eventually, everything
that is water resistant leaks.

--
JS

cycl...@gmail.com

Nov 21, 2016, 4:17:10 PM11/21/16
Now now Jay, Remember that Joerg has a problem with understanding American humor.

cycl...@gmail.com

Nov 21, 2016, 4:21:29 PM11/21/16
The two girls were racers at that time and could have ridden a course like that on a bike like that so easily that it would embarrass me. But the ride from "Sea To Shining Sea" was entirely on the road. Though many of the backroads were almost that well paved.

John B Slocomb

Nov 21, 2016, 8:50:50 PM11/21/16
Too much weight what with the gallons of beer he finds vital for his
rides..... come to think of it maybe the beer is necessary to fuel his
tales of riding in the primitive California wilderness.

Sir Ridesalot

Nov 21, 2016, 9:49:08 PM11/21/16
After seeing this I'd be a mite concerned about having to wander around looking for a nail and a rock to fix a chain with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FQWwVpxQsw

Cheers

Tosspot

Nov 22, 2016, 1:26:03 AM11/22/16
On 21/11/16 18:21, jbeattie wrote:

> And he or she wasn't eaten by a mountain lion? Thank Buddha. Why not
> take an automatic emergency defibrillator or some field dressings and
> splints? Maybe the downed hiker needed insulin -- take some of that
> too. But don't burden yourself with a 185g multi-tool.

> http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/topeak-18-mini-tool/rp-prod11318?gs=1&gclid=CPG9nc6tutACFU2BfgodkSMN0Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

> That would be too much and probably cause all the fasteners on your
> bike to explode.

And I notice that has a bottle opener, useful for emergency hydration
:-)

Tosspot

Nov 22, 2016, 1:27:49 AM11/22/16
I think it depends on the depth of lions you are immersed in.