Max tire size on "road" rim?

Paul Kossa

Nov 6, 2008, 9:04:49 PM11/6/08
What's the largest size tire you can safely put on a road rim, such as
a Mavic Pro (or whatever they're called)? Do 'cross tires fit on them?

Ryan Cousineau

Nov 6, 2008, 10:01:10 PM11/6/08
In article
<7826bfe3-1ee5-4af9...@g17g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
Paul Kossa <anon_a...@msn.com> wrote:

> What's the largest size tire you can safely put on a road rim, such as
> a Mavic Pro (or whatever they're called)? Do 'cross tires fit on them?

I sure hope so, because I do this all the time.

As far as I know, most non-pro CX riders do not use special CX rims. At
a maximum of 35 mm for CX-legal tires, they're not a real problem for
standard road rims.

That's pretty much what I do all the time: run 32-34 mm tires on the
same rims I use during road season with 23-25 mm tires on 'em.

This is all, of course, talking about clinchers. Pros and try-hard
amateurs often use tubulars, for various reasons that make a bit of
sense when you're running the strange low tire pressures of CX.

--
Ryan Cousineau rcou...@gmail.com http://www.wiredcola.com/

DirtRoadie

Nov 6, 2008, 11:30:40 PM11/6/08
On Nov 6, 7:04 pm, Paul Kossa <anon_a_mo...@msn.com> wrote:
> What's the largest size tire you can safely put on a road rim, such as
> a Mavic Pro (or whatever they're called)?  Do 'cross tires fit on them?

Any of these:
http://mtbtires.com/specs/700.html

Dennis Ferguson

Nov 7, 2008, 12:18:19 AM11/7/08
On 2008-11-07, DirtRoadie <DirtR...@aol.com> wrote:

> On Nov 6, 7:04?pm, Paul Kossa <anon_a_mo...@msn.com> wrote:
>> What's the largest size tire you can safely put on a road rim, such as
>> a Mavic Pro (or whatever they're called)? ?Do 'cross tires fit on them?

Not if you believe this chart:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire_sizing.html#width

If I'm remembering correctly I think I measured the interior width
of my Open Pro rims at 15 mm or 16 mm which, if you believe the chart,
suggests you might not want to use a tire much more than thirty-something
millimeters wide.

Dennis Ferguson

Dan O

Nov 7, 2008, 1:12:03 AM11/7/08
On Nov 6, 9:18 pm, Dennis Ferguson <dcfergu...@pacbell.net> wrote:

> On 2008-11-07, DirtRoadie <DirtRoa...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > On Nov 6, 7:04?pm, Paul Kossa <anon_a_mo...@msn.com> wrote:
> >> What's the largest size tire you can safely put on a road rim, such as
> >> a Mavic Pro (or whatever they're called)? ?Do 'cross tires fit on them?
>
> > Any of these:
> >http://mtbtires.com/specs/700.html
>
> Not if you believe this chart:
>
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire_sizing.html#width

That's probably the chart that vaguely came to my mind when I saw this
question.

> If I'm remembering correctly I think I measured the interior width
> of my Open Pro rims at 15 mm or 16 mm which, if you believe the chart,
> suggests you might not want to use a tire much more than thirty-something
> millimeters wide.

The OP question is impossibly ambiguous: "Safe" is a subjective,
relative term. Nothing is absolutely safe. But, I suppose it can
serve to generate lots of discussion IRT relative safety (and more)
(or not). Somehow, though, the OP question sounds like it's looking
for a flat, absolute answer.

James Thomson

Nov 7, 2008, 7:16:18 AM11/7/08
"Paul Kossa" <anon_a...@msn.com> a écrit:

> What's the largest size tire you can safely put on a road rim,
> such as a Mavic Pro (or whatever they're called)? Do 'cross
> tires fit on them?

I've run 37mm hybrid tyres on Open Pro rims.

Many XC mountain bike rims are not much wider, and are routinely used with
2" tyres.

But, bear in mind that casing tension at a given pressure increases with
tyre width. Fat tyres at high pressures will put more strain on your rim
walls than slim tyres at high pressures.

James Thomson

Qui si parla Campagnolo

Nov 7, 2008, 8:10:27 AM11/7/08
On Nov 6, 7:04 pm, Paul Kossa <anon_a_mo...@msn.com> wrote:
> What's the largest size tire you can safely put on a road rim, such as
> a Mavic Pro (or whatever they're called)?  Do 'cross tires fit on them?

38 with no problem.

DirtRoadie

Nov 7, 2008, 10:19:19 AM11/7/08
On Nov 6, 10:18 pm, Dennis Ferguson <dcfergu...@pacbell.net> wrote:

> On 2008-11-07, DirtRoadie <DirtRoa...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > On Nov 6, 7:04?pm, Paul Kossa <anon_a_mo...@msn.com> wrote:
> >> What's the largest size tire you can safely put on a road rim, such as
> >> a Mavic Pro (or whatever they're called)? ?Do 'cross tires fit on them?
>
> > Any of these:
> >http://mtbtires.com/specs/700.html
>
> Not if you believe this chart:
>
>    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire_sizing.html#width

I believe the part that says:
"Although you can use practically any tire/rim combination that
shares the same bead seat diameter, it is unwise to use widely
disparate sizes. I."

A couple of years ago I built up a "29er" using some old road wheels
with a narrow rim having about a 13 mm inner width. I use tires having
a nominal 52 mm cross section and generally run low pressures. They
have been completely problem-free, despite Sheldon's suggestion of
potential problems.

DR

Bernhard Agthe

Nov 7, 2008, 11:47:53 AM11/7/08

DirtRoadie wrote:
> A couple of years ago I built up a "29er" using some old road wheels
> with a narrow rim having about a 13 mm inner width. I use tires having
> a nominal 52 mm cross section and generally run low pressures. They
> have been completely problem-free, despite Sheldon's suggestion of
> potential problems.

If the tire and rim do /not/ fit, it might or might not work. You may be
a lightweight person with a very careful riding style, so this
combination turns out good for you, but it might fail for someone who
has a more "aggressive" riding style or carries a lot of luggage.
Especially tandem riders /do/ experience trouble from too-narrow rims.
It might even change with tires out of different batches of the same type.

Very likely you will be fine with exceeding the specification but there
is a chance that you'll experience trouble. Try to not exceed the
specification by too far.

Actually there is a different problem with wide tires on narrow rims:
with some bikes, wide tires simply won't fit. If the tire rubs against
the fork or the frame, it is very likely too wide ;-)

Have a nice weekend...

DirtRoadie

Nov 7, 2008, 11:13:21 AM11/7/08
On Nov 7, 9:47 am, Bernhard Agthe <dark2s...@gmx.net> wrote:

> Actually there is a different problem with wide tires on narrow rims:
> with some bikes, wide tires simply won't fit. If the tire rubs against
> the fork or the frame, it is very likely too wide ;-)

True, despite using wheels on my 29er that used to be on my road bike,
I wouldn't begin to suggest that those same wheels would still fit on
the road bike with the 52mm tires. Not even close.
DR

Peter Cole

Nov 7, 2008, 12:37:49 PM11/7/08
Paul Kossa wrote:
> What's the largest size tire you can safely put on a road rim, such as
> a Mavic Pro (or whatever they're called)? Do 'cross tires fit on them?

I've used 35mm studded tires on Open Pro rims for a few years now. I
typically run them around 70psi. I weigh 230.

Ryan Cousineau

Nov 7, 2008, 12:47:03 PM11/7/08
In article <4914319f$0$869$ba4a...@news.orange.fr>,
"James Thomson" <yosn...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Totally true. But in the real world, fatter tires are almost always run
at lower pressures than skinnier ones.

jobst....@stanfordalumni.org

Nov 7, 2008, 1:03:41 PM11/7/08
James Thomson wrote:

>> What's the largest size tire you can safely put on a road rim, such
>> as a Mavic Pro (or whatever they're called)? Do 'cross tires fit
>> on them?

> I've run 37mm hybrid tyres on Open Pro rims.

> Many XC mountain bike rims are not much wider, and are routinely
> used with 2" tyres.

> But, bear in mind that casing tension at a given pressure increases
> with tyre width. Fat tyres at high pressures will put more strain on
> your rim walls than slim tyres at high pressures.

I am more concerned with the angle at which the tire casing departs
from the rim. An angle becomes more lateral as tire cross section is
increased. That angle increases the tendency to pop off the rim when
it gets hot from braking. Tire blow-offs are one of the worst
incidents when descending. They create and artificial "skating on
ice" condition, an aluminum rim having as good as no traction just for
staying upright on the bicycle, quite aside from trying to apply a
brake on that wheel, something that was most likely occurring at the
time of the blow-off.

Jobst Brandt

Tom Sherman

Nov 9, 2008, 2:26:29 PM11/9/08
Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> In article <4914319f$0$869$ba4a...@news.orange.fr>,
> "James Thomson" <yosn...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> "Paul Kossa" <anon_a...@msn.com> a écrit:
>>
>>> What's the largest size tire you can safely put on a road rim,
>>> such as a Mavic Pro (or whatever they're called)? Do 'cross
>>> tires fit on them?
>> I've run 37mm hybrid tyres on Open Pro rims.
>>
>> Many XC mountain bike rims are not much wider, and are routinely used with
>> 2" tyres.
>>
>> But, bear in mind that casing tension at a given pressure increases with
>> tyre width. Fat tyres at high pressures will put more strain on your rim
>> walls than slim tyres at high pressures.
>
> Totally true. But in the real world, fatter tires are almost always run
> at lower pressures than skinnier ones.

Not for BMX freestyle (or for the recumbent riders that use rim and
tires originally intended for BMX). The highest inflation pressures run
from 6 to 9 bar for tires in the 44 to 53-mm width range.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
If you are not a part of the solution, you are a part of the precipitate.

Bernhard Agthe

Nov 10, 2008, 5:14:08 AM11/10/08

DirtRoadie wrote:
> True, despite using wheels on my 29er that used to be on my road bike,
> I wouldn't begin to suggest that those same wheels would still fit on
> the road bike with the 52mm tires. Not even close.

Sorry, I'm getting confused by the 29-figure - if I remember correctly,
27 was larger than 28 was larger than 29? These figures never really
compared well :-(

There should be an ISO measure on your tire, something like 23-622
(narrow 28" tire) or 28-630 (27" road tire) or something similar. The
first number is tire width in mm and the second is the tire seat
diameter in mm. Although I find the inch numbers easier to remember, the
ISO standard is easier to compare ;-) So if your bike had 28-630 tires
to start with, you should be able to fit 32-622 with only minor change
to the brake setup. But especially modern high-end road frames do not
have enough tire clearance for narrow rims and fenders. If you've got an
older frame or a "sensible" frame, there is enough clearance to mount
wider tires than commonly used for the type of bike (e.g. mount 32 mm
wide tires on road bikes, along with fenders, or mount 54mm wide tires
on a "city" bike along with fenders which was meant for 38mm tires ;-)

Good luck...

Ryan Cousineau

Nov 10, 2008, 10:25:04 PM11/10/08
In article <gf8u17$88g$1...@daniel-new.mch.sbs.de>,
Bernhard Agthe <dark...@gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> DirtRoadie wrote:
> > True, despite using wheels on my 29er that used to be on my road bike,
> > I wouldn't begin to suggest that those same wheels would still fit on
> > the road bike with the 52mm tires. Not even close.
>
> Sorry, I'm getting confused by the 29-figure - if I remember correctly,
> 27 was larger than 28 was larger than 29? These figures never really
> compared well :-(

An easy mistake. "29er" is a designation used by mountain bikers for
700c (ISO 622) wheels. When used with 2" mountain-bike tires, they are
in deed close to 29" dia.