10-speed Campagnolo and 29t cog

marjan...@gmail.com

Jul 11, 2014, 8:21:34 AM7/11/14
Which 10-speed Campagnolo derailer works better with 29t cog, a 2001 Chorus or a Daytona/Centaur one from 2001 or 2002?

Explanation: I have a 2001 Wilier Lavaredo equipped with 10-speed Campagnolo Chorus. I just installed a 13-29 cassette and the upper derailer pulley rides very close to the 23, 26 and 29 cogs when in the small ring, making some noise as well. It shifts fine. In the big ring it is better as the chain pulls the derailer away from the cogs. Chain is not too long. Playing with the tension adjustment screw on the derailer does not seem to help.

My other bike is a 1998 steel Colnago equipped with a slightly cheaper 2001 or 2002 derailer (Centaur or Daytona, can't remember right now). This one sits further away from the cogs. I need the 29 on the Wilier. The Colnago sees less steep hills so I will continue to use 13-26 with it.

Do you think the difference is due to derailer geometry, making it worthwile to switch the derailers? Or is it due to frame/rear dropouts geometry? Eyeballing it, it all looks the same but it really works better on the Colnago.

(I actually use a custom cassette now: removed the 14 from 13-26 and added the 29; can't miss my 18 on the flats! Works fine after you figure out how to arrange the different width spacers, but the above problem happens both on the stock 13-29 and on the customized one.)

AMuzi

Jul 11, 2014, 9:08:37 AM7/11/14
With the 29 you should use the long cage version of those
changers. With a modern Campagnolo product, the medium would
suffice.

There are several generations of cage design, pivot
placement and spring style and those things vary by year not
by product level. A Record and a Veloce of the same year
will have the same capacity and features but the Record will
have nicer finish. lighter weight, longer service life. This
is not special to Campagnolo. The same principles apply with
Shimano.

mid price example:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/ANEX1.JPG

--