Shimano Brifter hoods

John B Slocomb

Apr 24, 2017, 4:45:58 AM4/24/17

My utility bike has Shimano STi shifters and the hoods are
deteriorating. Getting all sticky and falling apart.

Are replacement hoods available (at a reasonible price :-)

If they are available is there a difference between hoods for
different models, say 105 and Tiagra, for example?

cycl...@gmail.com

Apr 24, 2017, 9:58:48 AM4/24/17
On Monday, April 24, 2017 at 1:45:58 AM UTC-7, John B Slocomb wrote:
> My utility bike has Shimano STi shifters and the hoods are
> deteriorating. Getting all sticky and falling apart.
>
> Are replacement hoods available (at a reasonable price :-)
>
> If they are available is there a difference between hoods for
> different models, say 105 and Tiagra, for example?

Yes and yes. There are several sources from an arm and a leg at your local shop to cheap off of Ebay. ANY of the old gum rubber type will eventually get in the same condition but the newer synthetic rubbers are entirely better.

AMuzi

Apr 24, 2017, 10:11:21 AM4/24/17
Yes and no, mostly very different by model and year.
Peel back a cover to find the Shimano part code on the side
of the lever body, starting with ST-XXX. That's the cover
model you need.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

John B Slocomb

Apr 24, 2017, 8:42:29 PM4/24/17
On Mon, 24 Apr 2017 09:11:15 -0500, AMuzi <a...@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

>On 4/24/2017 3:45 AM, John B Slocomb wrote:
>>
>> My utility bike has Shimano STi shifters and the hoods are
>> deteriorating. Getting all sticky and falling apart.
>>
>> Are replacement hoods available (at a reasonible price :-)
>>
>> If they are available is there a difference between hoods for
>> different models, say 105 and Tiagra, for example?
>>

>Yes and no, mostly very different by model and year.
>Peel back a cover to find the Shimano part code on the side
>of the lever body, starting with ST-XXX. That's the cover
>model you need.

Thank you Andrew. Now I know what to order I can have the Shimano
agent here order them.