Phils as chain lube

Doug Landau

Jun 19, 2017, 4:29:31 PM6/19/17
Anyone here ever use Phil's Tenacious oil as chain lube?

What was the cleanup like?

cycl...@gmail.com

Jun 19, 2017, 4:55:43 PM6/19/17
On Monday, June 19, 2017 at 1:29:31 PM UTC-7, Doug Landau wrote:
> Anyone here ever use Phil's Tenacious oil as chain lube?
>
> What was the cleanup like?

That used to be a chain lube as well as everything else. I think we would cut it a little with acetone or something. It didn't work any better than anything else. Cut it was cheaper than most.

Tim McNamara

Jun 19, 2017, 6:33:27 PM6/19/17
A mess. it was a dirt magnet.

jbeattie

Jun 21, 2017, 2:45:49 PM6/21/17
Yup. I was never clear on its intended use. You could buy chain-bar lube for a tenth the price, or less. You could use it on a chain only if you scrupulously wiped the chain (every surface) after application and soaking-in. Otherwise, the chain turned into a mess.

-- Jay Beattie.

cycl...@gmail.com

Jun 21, 2017, 3:41:19 PM6/21/17
It is really a bearing grease left over from the days of open bearings. I have a can of Campy grease for the same purpose.