Choose your metaphor

AMuzi

Apr 12, 2018, 3:54:53 PM4/12/18
From the sublime to the ridiculous
or
Best thing since sliced bread

https://www.bikerumor.com/2018/04/09/campagnolo-first-to-12-speed-on-the-road-with-new-record-super-record-groupsets/

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Frank Krygowski

Apr 12, 2018, 5:56:09 PM4/12/18
On 4/12/2018 3:54 PM, AMuzi wrote:
> From the sublime to the ridiculous
> or
> Best thing since sliced bread
>
> https://www.bikerumor.com/2018/04/09/campagnolo-first-to-12-speed-on-the-road-with-new-record-super-record-groupsets/

<yawn> Still just integer steps between gears, like everybody else.

Let me know when they develop cogs with non-integer numbers of teeth.
Only then will the ratios be close enough. Sometimes you really want
that 11.5 tooth cog!

--
- Frank Krygowski

David Scheidt

Apr 12, 2018, 6:20:03 PM4/12/18
Frank Krygowski <frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
Abut a decade behind...
http://www.nuvincicycling.com/en/products/nfinity.html

--
sig 8

Sepp Ruf

Apr 13, 2018, 5:56:45 AM4/13/18
Actually, 1/12 microstepping guarantees smoother shift starts than integer
steps, but works more crispier, less sluggish than a slacker NuVinci!

Here is the exclusive LEAKED preview of next season's (they'll skip the
dreaded #13) new Campagnolo Racing Record gruppo gear indicator:
<https://www.poljot24.de/media/catalog/product/cache/2/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/r/a/racingweiss1.jpg>

Frank Krygowski

Apr 13, 2018, 10:31:44 AM4/13/18
Good point. I've known about NuVinci for quite a while.

Based on the operating principle, it seems to me the NuVinci would be
draggy, and online comments hint that it is. This site
https://www.cyclingabout.com/speed-difference-testing-gearbox-systems/
claims only 83.5% efficiency (although I don't see the NuVinci curve in
their graph). 83.5% is really low.

Has anyone here ridden one?

--
- Frank Krygowski

David Scheidt

Apr 13, 2018, 3:34:17 PM4/13/18
Frank Krygowski <frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
Once, on a heavy cargo bike, with a passenger. I couldn't tell if the
their was an efficency issue, or just the "I'm riding a 500 pound
bike!" problem.

--
sig 48