12mm Ambihelical Hex Nuts

sms

May 24, 2016, 9:25:12 PM5/24/16
I am looking for some 12mm Ambihelical Hex Nuts which are used inside an
internal hub.

They look like this: <http://oi65.tinypic.com/2wp1r3l.jpg>

Andre Jute

May 24, 2016, 11:41:15 PM5/24/16
You missed April 1st by seven weeks, Scharfie. Your link shows an Escher nut.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Escher+stairs&iax=1&ia=images

Andre Jute
I'd like to be gullible. It would probably make life more interesting.

Peter Howard

May 25, 2016, 3:26:55 AM5/25/16
Let me guess. You have carried out a Mobius strip of your hub.
PH

AMuzi

May 25, 2016, 8:08:37 AM5/25/16
This is an Escher nut:

http://www.tattoostime.com/images/460/left-sleeve-escher-tattoo.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Jeff Liebermann

May 25, 2016, 11:16:25 AM5/25/16
On Tue, 24 May 2016 18:25:06 -0700, sms <scharf...@geemail.com>
wrote:

>I am looking for some 12mm Ambihelical Hex Nuts which are used inside an
>internal hub.
>
>They look like this: <http://oi65.tinypic.com/2wp1r3l.jpg>

More of the same:
<http://brisray.com/optill/oreal.htm>
Sorry, but I couldn't find a 12mm mobius loop thread specification in
my Machinery Handbook.

Now, if you want a real problem, try the double helix screw here:
<http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/Fluke%208060a/Fluke-screws.jpg>
Officially, it's a "High Low Thread Forming Screw". So, how many
threads per inch when there are two different helical threads? Extra
credit for finding a stocking vendor. (Some day, all bicycles will be
made from plastic, and such screws will be common).

--
Jeff Liebermann je...@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Frank Krygowski

May 25, 2016, 11:58:18 AM5/25/16
On 5/25/2016 8:08 AM, AMuzi wrote:
> On 5/24/2016 10:41 PM, Andre Jute wrote:
>> On Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 2:25:12 AM UTC+1, sms wrote:
>>> I am looking for some 12mm Ambihelical Hex Nuts which are used inside an
>>> internal hub.
>>>
>>> They look like this: <http://oi65.tinypic.com/2wp1r3l.jpg>
>>
>> You missed April 1st by seven weeks, Scharfie. Your link shows an
>> Escher nut.
>> https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Escher+stairs&iax=1&ia=images
>>
>> Andre Jute
>> I'd like to be gullible. It would probably make life more interesting.
>>

> This is an Escher nut:
>
> http://www.tattoostime.com/images/460/left-sleeve-escher-tattoo.jpg

I hope he stays an Escher nut forever. It's going to be painful to
change his mind.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Frank Krygowski

May 25, 2016, 12:11:56 PM5/25/16
On 5/25/2016 11:16 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Tue, 24 May 2016 18:25:06 -0700, sms <scharf...@geemail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I am looking for some 12mm Ambihelical Hex Nuts which are used inside an
>> internal hub.
>>
>> They look like this: <http://oi65.tinypic.com/2wp1r3l.jpg>
>
> More of the same:
> <http://brisray.com/optill/oreal.htm>
> Sorry, but I couldn't find a 12mm mobius loop thread specification in
> my Machinery Handbook.
>
> Now, if you want a real problem, try the double helix screw here:
> <http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/Fluke%208060a/Fluke-screws.jpg>
> Officially, it's a "High Low Thread Forming Screw". So, how many
> threads per inch when there are two different helical threads? Extra
> credit for finding a stocking vendor. (Some day, all bicycles will be
> made from plastic, and such screws will be common).

Vaguely related: It's possible to run a 6mm x 1mm tap into a 1/4-20 hole
or nut and have it work for both threads. It's not strong, but it can
work for certain light-duty uses.

And of course, 5mm x 0.8 is so close to 10-32 that they're difficult to
tell apart.

--
- Frank Krygowski

David Scheidt

May 25, 2016, 3:51:46 PM5/25/16
:wrote:

:>I am looking for some 12mm Ambihelical Hex Nuts which are used inside an
:>internal hub.
:>
:>They look like this: <http://oi65.tinypic.com/2wp1r3l.jpg>

:More of the same:
:<http://brisray.com/optill/oreal.htm>
:Sorry, but I couldn't find a 12mm mobius loop thread specification in
:my Machinery Handbook.

:Now, if you want a real problem, try the double helix screw here:
:<http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/Fluke%208060a/Fluke-screws.jpg>
:Officially, it's a "High Low Thread Forming Screw". So, how many
:threads per inch when there are two different helical threads? Extra
:credit for finding a stocking vendor. (Some day, all bicycles will be
:made from plastic, and such screws will be common).

Fastenal stock them.

--
sig 39

Ian Field

May 25, 2016, 4:09:43 PM5/25/16

"Frank Krygowski" <frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
The old British 0BA thread is almost identical to m6.

When I had a Norton Commando 750, the 2BA screws holding the float bowls on
the carbs worked loose - vibration had enlarged the threaded holes.

M5 socket cap screws were a tight fit without any re tapping - the repair
never gave any further trouble.

Jeff Liebermann

May 25, 2016, 11:13:18 PM5/25/16
I should have specified the thread size. By my measurements, I
*THINK* it's #7-19 3/4" but there's a problem. The standard sizes are
#6-18, #7-17, and #8-18. A #7-19 doesn't seem to exist. We have a
handy Fastenal dealer fairly close to my palatial office. After the
local hardware stores gave up, I waved a sample screw at them without
success.

<https://www.fastenal.com/products/sheet-metal-screws?term=High+Low&r=%20~|categoryl1:%22600000%20Fasteners%22|~%20~|categoryl2:%22600051%20Screws%22|~%20~|categoryl3:%22600066%20Sheet%20Metal%20Screws%22|~>
This is the closest I could find in #8-18 which I determined was both
too big and the wrong thread. However, I'm not sure and will need to
double check.

Either I measured wrong, Fastenal measured wrong, or Fluke designed a
proprietary thread. This is not a critical project so I haven't been
doing much on finding the screw. I'll work on it again sometime in
the next few weeks.

Thank you.

David Scheidt

May 25, 2016, 11:45:29 PM5/25/16
Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com> wrote:
:On Wed, 25 May 2016 19:51:44 +0000 (UTC), David Scheidt
Talk to these folks:
http://www.eaglefastener.net/technical/hilo-fastener-table.html

They list a 7-19.

--
sig 79
Message has been deleted

Tosspot

May 26, 2016, 2:47:11 AM5/26/16
Normally I would side with that argument but...

Peter Howard

May 26, 2016, 2:57:58 AM5/26/16
Is the argument a little too one-sided for you?

avag...@gmail.com

May 26, 2016, 7:45:56 AM5/26/16
SUGGESTS a world software virus infecting 3D printing.....

avag...@gmail.com

May 26, 2016, 7:49:12 AM5/26/16
these nuts are reasonably common where space limits n torque isn't a major factor...for the designer....n the fastner area is dimly lit asking fo a reverse torso twist with an overhead off hand mounting....

n badly made to boot.....

avag...@gmail.com

May 26, 2016, 7:55:21 AM5/26/16
izzat a plastics screw ? reduced threading for max female material longevity and off course a larger speedboat from reduces metal n machining costs.

Frod does this n tools proprietary screws in house. The cowl screws on uh Frod van as Jacobsons with a small head n lacking an every other thread as your pic has a lesser every other.

AMuzi

May 26, 2016, 8:25:53 AM5/26/16
On 5/25/2016 10:57 PM, Andre Jute wrote:
> Crocosmia 'Mobius':
> http://www.sketching.cc/forum3/viewtopic

That's a 404 for me.
Search finds this instead:

http://www.coolmainpress.com/andrepaintings/3103_600pxw_crocosmia_mobius_andrejute_watercolour_230gsmrough_6x4in.jpg

Andre Jute

May 26, 2016, 9:00:48 AM5/26/16
Thanks, Andrew. I trashed that message as soon as I realized the link didn't work but you were too quick for me.

Here's a good link:

http://www.sketching.cc/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2163&p=18624&hilit=crocosmia#p18624

Andre Jute
These mistakes never happened when Carl Vogel my Googlebug was here

Duane

May 26, 2016, 9:12:51 AM5/26/16
Once you put it on usenet it's there forever.

Jeff Liebermann

May 26, 2016, 10:18:49 AM5/26/16
Bingo. Looks good, if they'll sell small quantities.
Thanks.

Jeff Liebermann

May 26, 2016, 10:23:35 AM5/26/16
On Thu, 26 May 2016 04:55:19 -0700 (PDT), avag...@gmail.com wrote:

>On Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 11:16:25 AM UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
>> Now, if you want a real problem, try the double helix screw here:
>> <http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/Fluke%208060a/Fluke-screws.jpg>

>izzat a plastics screw ?

Yep.

>reduced threading for max female material longevity and off course
>a larger speedboat from reduces metal n machining costs.

Huh?

>Frod does this n tools proprietary screws in house. The cowl screws
>on uh Frod van as Jacobsons with a small head n lacking an every other
>thread as your pic has a lesser every other.

Ford doesn't use such screws. The high-low dual helix screws main
advantages are that they have plenty of strength, do minimum damage to
the plastic, and are easily removable. Ford prefers to stick things
together with glue, putty, and Tinnerman clips, all of which have
lousy strength, destroy the plastic, and a PITA to remove.

The screw in question fits various Fluke DMM (digital multimeter).

David Scheidt

May 26, 2016, 12:11:48 PM5/26/16
Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com> wrote:

:Now, if you want a real problem, try the double helix screw here:
:<http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/Fluke%208060a/Fluke-screws.jpg>
:Officially, it's a "High Low Thread Forming Screw". So, how many
:threads per inch when there are two different helical threads? Extra

Thread pitch doesn't change with number of starts. Lead does, though.
Lead is how far the screw advances in a complete rotation.

--
sig 28

Andre Jute

May 26, 2016, 1:02:11 PM5/26/16
I can't see my original message with the wrong link, so It seems to have been wiped when I deleted it; Andrew just saw it in the hour or so during which it was on the net.

Andre Jute

sms

May 26, 2016, 5:06:05 PM5/26/16
On 5/26/2016 7:18 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Thu, 26 May 2016 03:45:27 +0000 (UTC), David Scheidt
> <dsch...@panix.com> wrote:
>
>> Talk to these folks:
>> http://www.eaglefastener.net/technical/hilo-fastener-table.html
>> They list a 7-19.
>
> Bingo. Looks good, if they'll sell small quantities.
> Thanks.

eBay has a lot of these. Search "Hi-Low Thread screws."

Jeff Liebermann

May 26, 2016, 5:56:15 PM5/26/16
On Thu, 26 May 2016 14:06:00 -0700, sms <scharf...@geemail.com>
wrote:
That was the first place I looked. Lots of similar screws:
<http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=High-Low+Screw>
but nothing in #7-19 3/4".

avag...@gmail.com

May 26, 2016, 7:09:58 PM5/26/16
Frod's rrrrrrr from the XXXXX of the local dealer $100 for the cowl.

BULL !

the ATL IS JUST BEEUTIFULL...THE AIR CLEAN N SALTY...n SpaceX waits for lighter air at 7:30 missing a shot at lull tide.

avag...@gmail.com

May 26, 2016, 7:18:56 PM5/26/16
Found a set in cadmium from China for
$25