fasten broke gear chain to frame after pulling it into a specific gear

Emanuel Berg

May 23, 2015, 9:58:33 AM5/23/15
I have a 3-speed sprocket but the "gear chain" (?) is
broke. But, the most outward link has its hole intact.
So I thought I'd insert a keyring into that hole, then
bind a wire to that keyring, pull it all out, and wrap
the wire around a "hook" somewhere on the frame (e.g.,
one of the pieces that hold the chain guard).

That sort of worked, but

1. I don't know how much to pull to get the, say,
middle gear, as I don't feel any clear
"positions". Is it important I hit it exactly,
and if so, how do I do that?

2. What I can see, the keyring has already
expanded just a bit into an oval, so I don't
have a lot of confidence the position will
remain even if I did get it just right.

What is the best way to do this? I don't want to fix
the gears, I'm fine fixing the bike in the sense
turning it into a single speed one.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

AMuzi

May 23, 2015, 10:21:19 AM5/23/15
Fit a new indicator chain, they are cheap and readily available.

http://www.cyclesofyesteryear.com/cycleshop/SA%20toggle%20chain%205%20speed.jpg

If it's a Sturmey Archer gearbox, adjust such that the cable
is slack in high gear and fully tight in low gear. A kinked
or frayed gear cable will impede proper shifting so replace
that as well if damaged.
--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Emanuel Berg

May 23, 2015, 12:49:20 PM5/23/15
AMuzi <a...@yellowjersey.org> writes:

> Fit a new indicator chain, they are cheap and
> readily available.
>
> http://www.cyclesofyesteryear.com/cycleshop/SA%20toggle%20chain%205%20speed.jpg

So I disassemble the sprocket to replace the bar part
with this indicator chain, then I spin the ring nut to
block the retracting movement and thus get the
desired gear?

Again, is "the gear" something analogous
(i.e., a scale) or are there three positions for
a 3-speed bike, positions that one should hit exactly?
Looking at that picture (the indicator chain) it looks
like it is a scale, or else how do you know where to
position the nut for a certain gear?

> If it's a Sturmey Archer gearbox, adjust such that
> the cable is slack in high gear and fully tight in
> low gear.

It says Tornado on the brake arm, other than that
I don't know.

> A kinked or frayed gear cable will impede proper
> shifting so replace that as well if damaged.

I don't have the gear cable. I don't want gears, only
to have it locked in the middle gear position.
I thought that was possible with the indicator chain?
Do I need to get a gear cable as well?

AMuzi

May 23, 2015, 1:19:26 PM5/23/15
The image I linked is for a British gearbox. The German one
is smaller diameter but of similar style.

If you don't want gearing, do nothing. It will remain in
high gear with no cable or no indicator.

There's no simple way to get 2d gear without the right
parts. If you have a machine shop handy like Lou Holtman,
you could fabricate something like an adjustment for the end
of the indicator. Using a deformed keyring is decidedly not
precise, as you found.

Emanuel Berg

May 23, 2015, 1:35:28 PM5/23/15
AMuzi <a...@yellowjersey.org> writes:

> There's no simple way to get 2d gear without the
> right parts. [...] Using a deformed keyring is
> decidedly not precise, as you found.

OK.

No, the problem is the hole is so small only something
really thin like a keyring or fishing snap can grab
it, only it also has to be strong enough not to break
or deform when in position, and I don't think either
of those can do that or anything else I can think of.

AMuzi

May 23, 2015, 1:53:55 PM5/23/15
On 5/23/2015 12:35 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
> AMuzi <a...@yellowjersey.org> writes:
>
>> There's no simple way to get 2d gear without the
>> right parts. [...] Using a deformed keyring is
>> decidedly not precise, as you found.
>
> OK.
>
> No, the problem is the hole is so small only something
> really thin like a keyring or fishing snap can grab
> it, only it also has to be strong enough not to break
> or deform when in position, and I don't think either
> of those can do that or anything else I can think of.

Well since you want to pursue this avenue, perhaps silver
braze a 4mm screw to the broken indicator and use two jam
nuts on that after you calibrate the 2d gear position.

Almost anything'a possible, but if I confronted that problem
I would just replace the broken parts and go ride. On my own
three speed, I actually did just that.

avag...@gmail.com

May 23, 2015, 6:19:40 PM5/23/15
the shifter bar has a marker dot on it ?

the adjuster has a hole ?

the hole goes over the dot

cyclists who daohn fix stuff should take up walking