NEW SHIMANO DYNAMO HUB (?)

jbeattie

Jun 21, 2017, 2:36:45 PM6/21/17
I saw this today:

https://www.westernbikeworks.com/product/shimano-dh-t8000-3d-disc-dynamo-front-hub-30w

Not much info, but it looks interesting. 100g heavier than a PD-8. It looks like the bearings are user-serviceable.

-- Jay Beattie.

James

Jun 22, 2017, 1:29:05 AM6/22/17
I don't know how you could even contemplate adding all that extra weight
to the front of your bicycle.

--
JS

avag...@gmail.com

Jun 22, 2017, 5:06:46 AM6/22/17
Saar chasm

avag...@gmail.com

Jun 22, 2017, 6:06:21 AM6/22/17
Checking weight weenies we see the Rolloff weighs 2800 grams

jbeattie

Jun 22, 2017, 9:48:07 AM6/22/17
Not gratuitously with no cost savings or other benefit. That hub cost more than my SP PD-8. The apparent benefit is adjustable bearings, if it has them, and center-lock, if one prefers center-lock. I don't know about the internals.

-- Jay Beattie.

Sepp Ruf

Jun 22, 2017, 6:47:11 PM6/22/17
James wrote:
> On 22/06/17 04:36, jbeattie wrote:
>> I saw this today:
>>
>> https://www.westernbikeworks.com/product/shimano-dh-t8000-3d-disc-dynamo-front-hub-30w
>>
>> Not much info, but it looks interesting. 100g heavier than a PD-8. It
>> looks like the bearings are user-serviceable.

<http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/ev/EV-DH-T8000-3D-4015.pdf>
Ever serviced a Shimano dynamo hub?

For cyclists who are considerably faster than jbeattie, buying three heavy,
lossy DH-3D37 hubs to get destructive practice with the wiring, and still
have one functioning spare looks like an alternative.
<https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?t=112467>

> I don't know how you could even contemplate adding all that extra weight
> to the front of your bicycle.

But he'd save more than two ounces ... compared to the pointless DH-T4000
that would "best" match his dim Luxos.

Doug Landau

Jun 22, 2017, 7:20:16 PM6/22/17
On Thursday, June 22, 2017 at 2:06:46 AM UTC-7, avag...@gmail.com wrote:
> Saar chasm

The Saar Chasm:
http://www.saar-hunsrueck-steig.de/en/

jbeattie

Jun 22, 2017, 9:02:57 PM6/22/17
On Thursday, June 22, 2017 at 3:47:11 PM UTC-7, Sepp Ruf wrote:
> James wrote:
> > On 22/06/17 04:36, jbeattie wrote:
> >> I saw this today:
> >>
> >> https://www.westernbikeworks.com/product/shimano-dh-t8000-3d-disc-dynamo-front-hub-30w
> >>
> >> Not much info, but it looks interesting. 100g heavier than a PD-8. It
> >> looks like the bearings are user-serviceable.
>
> <http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/ev/EV-DH-T8000-3D-4015.pdf>
> Ever serviced a Shimano dynamo hub?

No. The bearing arrangement for the right side looks pretty simple. I don't know if the DH-T8000-3D has the same internals, though. The electronics in the schematic appear to be sealed.

> For cyclists who are considerably faster than jbeattie, buying three heavy,
> lossy DH-3D37 hubs to get destructive practice with the wiring, and still
> have one functioning spare looks like an alternative.
> <https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?t=112467>

I'm super fast.

> > I don't know how you could even contemplate adding all that extra weight
> > to the front of your bicycle.
>
> But he'd save more than two ounces ... compared to the pointless DH-T4000
> that would "best" match his dim Luxos.

I save a pound with my Urban 800. I'm not even running my dyno hub this time of year. I'll re-mount the mood light at the time change.

-- Jay Beattie.