Converting English to Italian Bottom Bracket Threads

mjb...@ripnet.com

Oct 11, 2016, 9:12:29 AM10/11/16
Hello,
Saw a You Tube video yesterday repairing a damaged English thread and reaming it out and tapping to an Italian thread.
I have looked around the internet for the reamer bit, but I cannot get a "hit".
Can anyone tell me where I can get, I assume its a 36mm reamer? Any advise or comments on this procedure would be of interest I am sure.
Thanks Zoomie220.

AMuzi

Oct 11, 2016, 9:46:04 AM10/11/16
I couldn't find the right tool either so I designed a
piloted reamer and had it made at a tool grinder. Before
that I hand filed the bore like everyone else which is tedious.

p.s. Your thread root is nominally 35mm for an m36x24t
55-degree thread.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

zoomie220

Oct 11, 2016, 9:57:07 AM10/11/16
I have a set of Park Italian Taps and of course the handles, but it doesn't look like there is much difference in diameter 1.370 v 36mm. I am just scared of wrecking my new taps or the bottom bracket...

mjb...@ripnet.com

Oct 11, 2016, 10:15:20 AM10/11/16
Thanks for the specs Andrew.

mjb...@ripnet.com

Oct 11, 2016, 12:19:54 PM10/11/16
I did some research, It looks like Bicycle Research used to make reamers for just this problem. They where part #s BBR1 and BBR2 for VAR or Campy handles.