Cassette type sprockets.

Ian Field

Apr 16, 2015, 4:16:52 PM4/16/15
My latest replacement back wheel has the sprockets that are on a spline with
a locking ring.

The Youtube clip on replacing the sprockets shows the procedure on a wheel
with QR axle, the locking ring tool shown has a spigot that goes in the
hollow axle.

That obviously won't work on my wheel as it has a regular solid axle - how
difficult is it to get the same type of tool, but with a hole in the end to
clear the axle end?

Thanks for any help.

AMuzi

Apr 16, 2015, 5:44:53 PM4/16/15
You may have conflated two different systems.

Your new wheel with cassette format hub doesn't require
excessive force to undo the lockring. That lockring is in
fact marked 40nm. If your tool is badly worn or fits poorly
you could spin an axle nut on behind it but that's usually
not necessary.

The other format, a freewheel with threaded hub, pedals
tight with as much force as you have applied while climbing
in a low gear. Removal may indeed require a lot of force.
Securing your removing tool with a skewer or axle nut is
definitely good practice if not absolutely necessary
(depending on which of the many tool styles applies)

I was about to link to a youtube video but the first three I
watched were abysmal (remove axle set? really?) and the
thumbnails for a couple more showed big plumber's wrenches
and vise grips so I agave up on that search.

p.s. If your tool has a 5mm hole for a skewer only, return
it and get a different tool with a bigger hole. The price
should be the same and most shops carry several brands of
these things.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

James

Apr 16, 2015, 8:42:11 PM4/16/15
On 17/04/15 07:44, AMuzi wrote:
> On 4/16/2015 3:16 PM, Ian Field wrote:
>> My latest replacement back wheel has the sprockets that are
>> on a spline with a locking ring.
>>
>> The Youtube clip on replacing the sprockets shows the
>> procedure on a wheel with QR axle, the locking ring tool
>> shown has a spigot that goes in the hollow axle.
>>
>> That obviously won't work on my wheel as it has a regular
>> solid axle - how difficult is it to get the same type of
>> tool, but with a hole in the end to clear the axle end?
>>
>> Thanks for any help.
>
> You may have conflated two different systems.
>
> Your new wheel with cassette format hub doesn't require excessive force
> to undo the lockring. That lockring is in fact marked 40nm. If your
> tool is badly worn or fits poorly you could spin an axle nut on behind
> it but that's usually not necessary.

I think the OP has seen a cassette removal tool with a pin (spigot) that
goes inside a hollow axle, and wants to know if there's a tool for the
lock ring that has a hole to go over the axle instead.

My guess is there is, and I'd suggest to google for a cassette tool for
the particular make/model of cassette.

A chain whip or sprocket holding tool will also likely be necessary.

--
JS

avag...@gmail.com

Apr 17, 2015, 12:04:05 AM4/17/15

http://goo.gl/UEzxzn

pin is removable ? held in vise...heat and punch out

avag...@gmail.com

Apr 17, 2015, 12:13:35 AM4/17/15
On Friday, April 17, 2015 at 12:04:05 AM UTC-4, avag...@gmail.com wrote:
> http://goo.gl/UEzxzn
>
> pin is removable ? held in vise...heat and punch out

OUR BEST TOOL

http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/dbimages/bike/fn_large/418/100313418/popup/sunt.jpg

Ian Field

Apr 17, 2015, 4:02:56 PM4/17/15

"AMuzi" <a...@yellowjersey.org> wrote in message
> On 4/16/2015 3:16 PM, Ian Field wrote:
>> My latest replacement back wheel has the sprockets that are
>> on a spline with a locking ring.
>>
>> The Youtube clip on replacing the sprockets shows the
>> procedure on a wheel with QR axle, the locking ring tool
>> shown has a spigot that goes in the hollow axle.
>>
>> That obviously won't work on my wheel as it has a regular
>> solid axle - how difficult is it to get the same type of
>> tool, but with a hole in the end to clear the axle end?
>>
>> Thanks for any help.
>
> You may have conflated two different systems.
>
> Your new wheel with cassette format hub doesn't require excessive force to
> undo the lockring. That lockring is in fact marked 40nm. If your tool is
> badly worn or fits poorly you could spin an axle nut on behind it but
> that's usually not necessary.
>
> The other format, a freewheel with threaded hub, pedals tight with as much
> force as you have applied while climbing in a low gear. Removal may indeed
> require a lot of force. Securing your removing tool with a skewer or axle
> nut is definitely good practice if not absolutely necessary (depending on
> which of the many tool styles applies)
>
> I was about to link to a youtube video but the first three I watched were
> abysmal (remove axle set? really?) and the thumbnails for a couple more
> showed big plumber's wrenches and vise grips so I agave up on that search.

Apparently you have to sit and watch through them till you find what you
need.

There were several for the combines sprocket/freewheel hubs that I already
have some experience with.

The first clip I found describing the cassette on a spline with lockring
type hub, the bloke presenting it looked as if he didn't know any more about
it than I did.

Eventually I found a clip that gave me enough info that I might have a go at
it - but it left me with plenty of questions unanswered.

Really - I could do with a scrap hub to pull apart and familiarise myself
with what's in it.

Ian Field

Apr 17, 2015, 4:09:38 PM4/17/15

"James" <james.e...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Back of the net (football term).

An email from the bicycle shop I usually go to confirmed a price for the
tool - but they didn't say whether it fits over axles that aren't hollow.

Ian Field

Apr 17, 2015, 4:14:53 PM4/17/15

<avag...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> http://goo.gl/UEzxzn
>
> pin is removable ? held in vise...heat and punch out

That could very well happen.

How thoroughly are they hardened, I'll most likely have to drill the hole
bigger to clear the end of the axle.

Don't forget the QR axle only sticks out about 2/3 the thickness of the drop
out plate - the solid axle clears the thickness of the drop out plate with
enough room for a nut on the end.

avag...@gmail.com

Apr 17, 2015, 6:23:05 PM4/17/15
Try here...ask

http://www.loosescrews.com/

https://www.biketoolsetc.com/

I had a similar prob but cannot remember whether the pin came out or not ......the one with the pin isnot in the tool box AFAIK

Sir Ridesalot

Apr 17, 2015, 11:19:34 PM4/17/15
Sounds like you have tthe wrong tool for your wheel. It's like this one:

http://www.parktool.com/product/freewheel-remover-fr-5g

when you need this one:

http://www.parktool.com/product/cassette-lockring-tool-fr-5

Note that they say the tool should be held in place with an axle nut. Isnug the nut to the tool then nack the nut off a couple of turns. Once the lock ring is loose I remove the nut and spin the lockring off with the tool. You need a chain whip to hold the cassette whilst you break loose the lockring.]

Cheers

Sir Ridesalot

Apr 17, 2015, 11:20:48 PM4/17/15
The above is assuming you have a Shimano or SRAM cassette.

Ian Field

Apr 18, 2015, 12:42:40 PM4/18/15

<avag...@gmail.com> wrote in message
An email in my inbox from the bicycle shop has informed me that the tool I
have fits the cassette locking ring as well.

When I tried that tool it slipped into the lockring spline, but the fit
didn't look right somehow - the obvious thing to do was ask someone who
knows rather than wade in and ruin the tool.

The tool was bough for use with solid axles, so it will accommodate both
axle types.

Ian Field

Apr 18, 2015, 12:49:13 PM4/18/15

"Sir Ridesalot" <i_am_cyc...@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 4:16:52 PM UTC-4, Ian Field wrote:
>> My latest replacement back wheel has the sprockets that are on a spline
>> with
>> a locking ring.
>>
>> The Youtube clip on replacing the sprockets shows the procedure on a
>> wheel
>> with QR axle, the locking ring tool shown has a spigot that goes in the
>> hollow axle.
>>
>> That obviously won't work on my wheel as it has a regular solid axle -
>> how
>> difficult is it to get the same type of tool, but with a hole in the end
>> clear the axle end?
>>
>> Thanks for any help.
>
> Sounds like you have tthe wrong tool for your wheel. It's like this one:
>
> http://www.parktool.com/product/freewheel-remover-fr-5g
>
> when you need this one:
>
> http://www.parktool.com/product/cassette-lockring-tool-fr-5

I thought you promised never to 'help' me again!

But at least you got it right this time.

An email from the bicycle shop tells me the tool I have should fit the
cassette lockring as well as the sprocket/freewheel assembly type.

avag...@gmail.com

Apr 18, 2015, 1:04:35 PM4/18/15
when reassembling lockring/cassette...brush/thinner clean all threads inspecting the thread entry/engagement areas . Apply blue Loctite as thread lubricant.

try ends of fingers on lockring placing ring on then rotating on the thread seating getting a good engagement before cranking on the assembly.

AMuzi

Apr 18, 2015, 1:23:50 PM4/18/15
The UG freewheel spline (nearly universal across current
freewheel brands now)is similar but not identical to the HG
cassette pattern. It's either one or the other, cannot be both.

Ian Field

Apr 18, 2015, 1:23:57 PM4/18/15

> when reassembling lockring/cassette...brush/thinner clean all threads
> inspecting the thread entry/engagement areas . Apply blue Loctite as
> thread lubricant.

I've got several bottles of thread lock, but none of them Locktite own
brand, so I don't know how reliable the fluid colour is!

I'm thinking maybe red gasket cement - it sets hard but isn't unbreakable.

Frank Krygowski

Apr 18, 2015, 1:51:43 PM4/18/15
On 4/18/2015 12:49 PM, Ian Field wrote:

> "Sir Ridesalot" <i_am_cyc...@yahoo.ca> wrote:
>>
>> Sounds like you have tthe wrong tool for your wheel. It's like this one:
>>
>> http://www.parktool.com/product/freewheel-remover-fr-5g
>>
>> when you need this one:
>>
>> http://www.parktool.com/product/cassette-lockring-tool-fr-5
>
> I thought you promised never to 'help' me again!
>
> But at least you got it right this time.

I think that might have been a typo. What you probably meant to say was
"Thank you."

--
- Frank Krygowski

Sir Ridesalot

Apr 18, 2015, 2:39:10 PM4/18/15
Forgot that it was you and not someone else.

Cheerio

Ian Field

Apr 18, 2015, 3:38:39 PM4/18/15

"AMuzi" <a...@yellowjersey.org> wrote in message
Am I right in assuming the cassette lockring isnt driven tighter by torque
from the chain?

The tool I bought for sprocket/freewheel assemblies slots into the lockring,
but I thought the fit didn't look exactly quite right - I emailed the
bicycle shop and they said it should be OK.

Ian Field

Apr 18, 2015, 3:41:51 PM4/18/15

"Frank Krygowski" <frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
On previous form - has answers have usually been wrong.

I only knew he wasn't winding me up again because his answer was the same as
others already gave me.

Ian Field

Apr 18, 2015, 3:44:10 PM4/18/15

"Sir Ridesalot" <i_am_cyc...@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
Don't feel too bad - you usually forget the right answer too.

David Scheidt

Apr 18, 2015, 5:14:43 PM4/18/15
Ian Field <gangprob...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

:An email from the bicycle shop tells me the tool I have should fit the
:cassette lockring as well as the sprocket/freewheel assembly type.

Since the splines are different, it's not very likely. They're close,
and so the tool might work, sort of, but it won't be right. I'd
suggest finding a better shop, and the correct tool.

--
sig 112

AMuzi

Apr 18, 2015, 5:24:45 PM4/18/15
Great post. Thanks, David.

avag...@gmail.com

Apr 18, 2015, 8:27:06 PM4/18/15
thanks Chert..

http://goo.gl/SmkSgl

http://goo.gl/B1HEJ2

great spoke post Geno, miracubleee
post de tour mago !

avag...@gmail.com

Apr 18, 2015, 8:32:24 PM4/18/15
buy deore sleep good

Sir Ridesalot

Apr 18, 2015, 9:22:16 PM4/18/15
For others interested in this; the cassette lock ring tightness is NOT affected by the chain.

Sometimes a freewheel removal tool will fit into a cassette lockring but will sometimes be a tight fit. That tight fit sometimes means that the tool has to be vigourously tapped to get it to disengage after the lockring is tightened.

Cheers

Sir Ridesalot

Apr 18, 2015, 9:35:32 PM4/18/15
Addendum

BTW, you do NOT need any locktite on a cassette lockring nor do you need to reef on it to tighten it. I've seen people rip some of the threads out of a cassette body because tthey tried to super tighten tthe lockring.

avag...@gmail.com

Apr 18, 2015, 10:04:01 PM4/18/15
aw your brain is frozen solid...

Loctite LUBES threading so the ring engages cleanly then powders when removed again LUBING the unthreading.

LUBE not grease.

avag...@gmail.com

Apr 18, 2015, 10:05:50 PM4/18/15
nnnnnnnnnnnnnn

BTW, you do NOT need any locktite on a cassette lockring nor do you need to reef on it to tighten it. I've seen people rip some of the threads out of a cassette body because tthey tried to super tighten the lockring.

Locktite holds the fastener in place with a reduced torque

REDUCED TORQUE

get with the program

Sir Ridesalot

Apr 19, 2015, 12:15:11 AM4/19/15
Geeze Gene, it's just a lock ring and it doesn't require a lot of torque to tighten. What's with you and locktite; or having to use heat to remove so many sumple things?

Cheers

Lou Holtman

Apr 19, 2015, 1:44:00 AM4/19/15
Sir Ridesalot schreef op 19-4-2015 om 3:35:
Tighten to spec. That is 40 Nm and that is a considerable torque. If not
the the cassette could be a source of creaks and clicks which most
people have a hard time to locate.

Lou

John B.

Apr 19, 2015, 6:57:58 AM4/19/15
40 Nm.... about the same as an 18mm sparkplug :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

avag...@gmail.com

Apr 19, 2015, 10:01:44 AM4/19/15
with your body frozen most of the year we can excuse your insensitivities to lockring threading. In warmer climates, home mechanics often notice difficulty threading Shimnano HG rings.

heat is good. There is a Mapp gas O2 torch kit is the box. An alternative I use on lug nuts is CRC electronic cleaner spraying acetic plus silicone maybe.

On lockrings, using Loctite is a finesse

there exists a voluble group of anti-locktite reactionaries...

if you write LOCKTITE ....10 anti lockers will crawl out from the Bushes to rant abt NOT using Locktite

as if using Locktite is a full negative eg torque the head without a torgue wrench.

Ian Field

Apr 19, 2015, 3:57:07 PM4/19/15

> aw your brain is frozen solid...
>
> Loctite LUBES threading so the ring engages cleanly then powders when
> removed again LUBING the unthreading.

The thing I'd have in mind here; thread lock inhibits corrosion.

Normally I'd use Coppaslip, but I'm getting the impression that may not be
the way to go with cassette lockrings.

avag...@gmail.com

Apr 19, 2015, 4:17:04 PM4/19/15
the area is heavily chain lubed....I should look at my cyclocrosser hung off the bus for 6 years...

John Doe

May 4, 2015, 1:14:41 AM5/4/15
Hyperactive troll...