Wierd bike from China

somebody

Jun 29, 2015, 6:37:22 PM6/29/15

Frank Krygowski

Jun 29, 2015, 8:30:56 PM6/29/15
On 6/29/2015 6:38 PM, somebody wrote:
> Looks like a low-spec fat-tire MTB with junk added...
>
> http://www.banggood.com/Rockefeller-JW650-Smart-Bike-Bicycle-Cycling-Support-For-IOS-Android-p-973928.html?bid=8944

Plenty of cute misspellings and grammar mistakes, too.

--
- Frank Krygowski

James

Jun 29, 2015, 9:08:11 PM6/29/15
Otherwise known as Chinglish.

--
JS

James

Jun 29, 2015, 9:33:23 PM6/29/15
On 30/06/15 10:30, Frank Krygowski wrote:
I'm thinking more along these lines, though I'd prefer 26" wheels for
such a beast.

http://www.rei.com/product/874998/novara-safari-bike-2015#tab-specs

--
JS

Ralph Barone

Jun 29, 2015, 10:19:25 PM6/29/15
Nice bike, but I note that the Novara is neither iOS nor Android
compatible...

James

Jun 29, 2015, 10:28:11 PM6/29/15
;-) That's ok. I'm not an iOS or an Android. At least I don't think I am.

--
JS

John B.

Jun 30, 2015, 8:31:23 AM6/30/15
Ever try to write instructions in Chinese :-?
--
cheers,

John B.

avag...@gmail.com

Jun 30, 2015, 7:03:59 PM6/30/15
On Monday, June 29, 2015 at 6:37:22 PM UTC-4, somebody wrote:
> Looks like a low-spec fat-tire MTB with junk added...
>
> http://www.banggood.com/Rockefeller-JW650-Smart-Bike-Bicycle-Cycling-Support-For-IOS-Android-p-973928.html?bid=8944

bangwho ? is there a copyright prob here ?

all riders seen ere riding FAT TIRES appear tube in some pain esp the Walmort HD Chopper creation..

Andre Jute

Jun 30, 2015, 9:08:20 PM6/30/15
On Monday, June 29, 2015 at 11:37:22 PM UTC+1, somebody wrote:
> Looks like a low-spec fat-tire MTB with junk added...
>
> http://www.banggood.com/Rockefeller-JW650-Smart-Bike-Bicycle-Cycling-Support-For-IOS-Android-p-973928.html?bid=8944

I like Banggood and buy stuff from them all the time; they're like a Chinese Amazon through which all kinds of Chinese vendors and manufacturers sell stuff. Banggood doesn't normally hit you with outrageous shopping charges, but then I never bought anything as large as a bicycle from them.

This particular bicycle answers a question that nobody asked, and nobody is likely to ask.

I don't have a bicycle like that, but I've been using my iPhone all along to record my rides wirelessly, via the low-energy Bluetooth 4.0 built into the iPhone, in an application called Polar Beat, which the heart rate monitor manufacturer Polar, whose H7 Smart Bluetooth sensor belt I use, gives away free of charge. There are many other apps you can choose instead, some free, some charging; I seem to recall that they have been discussed here.

So, sadly, I'm already serviced for that bike's USP, and won't be buying one. (Actually, I wouldn't buy one anyway: the thing seems overpriced for what it is.)

Andre Jute

Andre Jute

Jun 30, 2015, 9:24:40 PM6/30/15
On Tuesday, June 30, 2015 at 2:33:23 AM UTC+1, James wrote:

> I'm thinking more along these lines, though I'd prefer 26" wheels for
> such a beast.
>
> http://www.rei.com/product/874998/novara-safari-bike-2015#tab-specs

Bit short on equipment that would be essential on a serious tour, but I must say I like those moustache bars. And I wish I could buy reversed plug-in brake handles like those for my Magura hydraulic rim brakes to reclaim some space on my handlebars and move the brake handles into an ergonomically optimal position.

Andre Jute

James

Jun 30, 2015, 11:22:58 PM6/30/15
The way I see it, handlebars ought to offer numerous hand positions, so
that the hands, wrists, arms, shoulders, back and neck, can all be
adjusted for maximum comfort and suitability depending on the elements
and road surface. For this reason, flat bars just don't cut it. They
are fine if you only ride a short distance/time, but otherwise they suck.

These trekking bars are a good alternative, and another is the moustache
bars as depicted here:
http://www.bicycle-touring-guide.com/bicycle-handlebars/ Scroll down a bit.

Sheldon's site also has a useful page on the subject.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/deakins/handlebars.html

These look pretty neat. http://www.koga-signature.com/en/News/Atalanta

Of course many people are happy to use regular drop bars too, and
there's nothing wrong with that if they're comfortable using them. I
certainly didn't complain of soreness or stiffness in the upper body
after completing a 190km ride about a month ago. In fact apart from the
general energy depletion, I felt pretty good afterwards.

Another example of choice and pros and cons.

--
JS

Andre Jute

Jul 1, 2015, 5:20:21 AM7/1/15
I'm happy with North Road bars, have them on all my bikes. Basically just one grip, but it's the optimum grip in all respects.
http://www.coolmainpress.com/miscimage/Kranich/jute_utopia_kranich_cockpit_800pxh.jpg
In practice your hands are busy and moving all the time; the "one grip" first approximation is a bit misleading.

Andre Jute

Duane

Jul 1, 2015, 9:27:20 AM7/1/15
It depends on what type of riding you do. In a tight group unless you're
leading or last you're going to pretty much need to be feathering your
brakes often so drop bars with brifters and the hoods positioned properly
work well. You also have the drops for fighting the wind or the bar for
climbing.

Like James is saying there are options and it depends. Even flat bars can
be useful if you're doing time trials that are relatively short.

What's the pin sticking out of your left bar end?

--
duane

Frank Krygowski

Jul 1, 2015, 11:11:38 AM7/1/15
On 7/1/2015 9:25 AM, Duane wrote:
> Andre Jute <fiul...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm happy with North Road bars, have them on all my bikes. Basically just
>> one grip, but it's the optimum grip in all respects.
>> http://www.coolmainpress.com/miscimage/Kranich/jute_utopia_kranich_cockpit_800pxh.jpg
>> In practice your hands are busy and moving all the time; the "one grip"
>> first approximation is a bit misleading.
>>
> It depends on what type of riding you do. In a tight group unless you're
> leading or last you're going to pretty much need to be feathering your
> brakes often so drop bars with brifters and the hoods positioned properly
> work well. You also have the drops for fighting the wind or the bar for
> climbing.
>
> Like James is saying there are options and it depends. Even flat bars can
> be useful if you're doing time trials that are relatively short.

I can see that a person riding a bike with electric assist might not
miss the power boost that comes from gripping the hoods or forward part
of a drop bar. They might not miss the aero advantage that comes from
using the drops.

Riders of Harley cruisers probably feel the same way: "It's just one
grip, but it's the optimum grip in all respects. Um, pay no attention to
that motor down there."

--
- Frank Krygowski