Why Christians hate Nature?

Nov 20, 2013, 11:57:13 AM11/20/13
This seems like a reasonable explanation:

Christianity depreciates the natural world. In addition to its morbid preoccupation with sex, Christianity creates social myopia through its emphasis on the supposed afterlife—encouraging Christians not to be concerned with "the things of this world" (except, of course, their neighbors’ sexual practices). In the conventional Christian view, life in this "vale of tears" is not important—what matters is preparing for the next life. (Of course it follows from this that the "vale of tears" itself is quite unimportant—it’s merely the backdrop to the testing of the faithful.)

The Christian belief in the unimportance of happiness and well-being in this world is well illustrated by a statement by St. Alphonsus:

"It would be a great advantage to suffer during all our lives all the torments of the martyrs in exchange for one moment of heaven. Sufferings in this world are a sign that God loves us and intends to save us."

This focus on the afterlife often leads to a distinct lack of concern for the natural world, and sometimes to outright anti-ecological attitudes. Ronald Reagan’s fundamentalist Secretary of the Interior, James Watt, went so far as to actively encourage the strip mining and clear cutting of the American West, reasoning that ecological damage didn’t matter because the "rapture" was at hand.

http://www.fredsbibletalk.com/twentyways13.html

While Germany is a country of avid hikers --it got 200,000km of trails conducive to it-- I think it's due to their pagan heritage. I read somewhere that pagans were "people of the woods," so Christians embrace churches as their ultimate Sunday outing. And then they go shopping, which is their favorite destination.

I landed last year in upstate New York and, though Nature was overwhelming, there were no trails around to be in the woods. But a church --you bet-- was within walking distance and it seemed pretty prosperous. May I say that everyone was obese in that hamlet, and that the main building towering above was a prison...

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/12083169.jpg

That's a pretty pastoral scene, isn't it? Well, this may sound like a joke, a cruel joke: people would walk on a road without shoulders, the sidewalk was all broken up and the bike lane went for 2 blocks, and that's it. Why the Christians deny life? I guess the answer is found above, not in Heaven, but in the paragraph I quote.

http://BANANAREVOLUTION.webspawner.com

Nov 20, 2013, 4:37:06 PM11/20/13
On Wednesday, November 20, 2013 2:27:30 PM UTC-5, Mr. B1ack wrote:
> The xian bible says that Nature is ours to
>
> exploit and dominate in any way we see
>
> fit - sort of a gift-o-gawd. Nothing about
>
> "conservation" really in there ...... it's just
>
> assumed that Yaweh will always make
>
> sure there's plenty - if we're smart and
>
> ruthless enough to get it.
>

> This is seen as the way things ought to
>
> be done. If a species becomes more
>
> "endangered" then Yaweh *wanted* us
>
> to eat 'em all. If anything, just charge
>
> more money for <whatever> steak.
>
> People come FIRST ... critters and
>
> trees and such a distant second.
>

> So, it's not "hate" ... it's "holy" :-)

They look at the world as a never-ending source of resources, and as an opportunity to develop some virgin beach into a tourist attraction. Oh, they also look at an ever-expanding population as a potential opportunity for converts. And that, as we all know, is a recipe for disaster.

michelle...@gmail.com

Jul 11, 2016, 4:06:54 PM7/11/16
Excellent and accurate post! Shared:)

Jul 11, 2016, 9:18:17 PM7/11/16

Thanks! I just wrote this elsewhere:

On Monday, July 11, 2016 at 6:32:30 AM UTC-5, competeti...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, July 10, 2016 at 8:18:53 PM UTC-4, john simmons wrote:
> > and God was at the roots of the big bang...enons of time in a void must be in welcome a mode for a God to appear and make something of the void...
>
> It was something else.
>
> >but humanity is inherently evil
>
> Humanity is life. Life has but one function, which is... self-replication.
> Earth organisms operate by taking in nutrients, usually in one end and out
> the other. Some just use osmosis.
>
> To obtain these nutrients for self-replication, they must be taken from
> somewhere else. Large groups, or collective organisms, operate under the
> exact same rules. This is what society is. So you cannot call humanity
> evil for seeking to obtain resources and carry out self-replication. It's
> an inherent drive buried deep within your DNA and psychology.
>
> > and i see no way that evil could have created itself...
>
> Well, there's brain damage, flawed DNA through external exposure, birth
> defects, psychosis through substance abuse, post-traumatic stress, and
> a number of maladies that make animals behave in a self-destructive
> manner. Morality plays no part in particular unless you want to be
> philosophical and view failures to achieve against the context of the
> utopian ideal.
>
> ---

There's a degree or evil or perhaps recklessness in the way we treat Nature. Is it part of genetics or the system? I see the Nordic people treat Nature with great respect, so they deserve to survive for ages, and yet other places trash the planet with willful recklessness.

My local supermarket opposes the bottle bill. Corporations often act as predators. Don't try to convince Toyota that the idiots are better off riding bicycles.

Jul 12, 2016, 12:31:34 AM7/12/16
On Monday, July 11, 2016 at 11:05:26 PM UTC-4, john simmons wrote:
> On Monday, July 11, 2016 at 9:49:43 PM UTC-5, competeti...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Monday, July 11, 2016 at 9:12:52 PM UTC-4, Wise TibetanMonkey, Most Humble Philosopher wrote:
> > > There's a degree or evil or perhaps recklessness in the way we treat Nature. Is it part of genetics or the system? I see the Nordic people treat Nature with great respect, so they deserve to survive for ages, and yet other places trash the planet with willful recklessness.
> > >
> > > My local supermarket opposes the bottle bill. Corporations often act as predators. Don't try to convince Toyota that the idiots are better off riding bicycles.
> >
> > People who destroy nature, propagate war, diminish education and sensitivity,
> > engage in animal cruelty, and cause the extinction of life are deeply flawed
> > human beings whose brains are defective. A utopian ideal of life would be
> > to live in perfect balance with all nature, such that sustainability and
> > harmony are the operating system. The human brain is the most unique thing
> > on this planet, and each person's is different from another. While it would
> > seem that common sense should be the order of the day, the fact is that
> > everyone has a slightly different perception of reality. For this reason,
> > education is the most important institution we can nurture beyond the
> > immediate protection of our populations. If we continue to extinct our
> > planetary biodiversity, then basic remedial agriculture needed for
> > survival will collapse as well.
> >
> > ---
>
> i can testify that ...throughout my mission in the sinful world of humanity...i just about have what you say above memorized as this is the typical message the spew....let me say Christians are as close to nature as anyone else...maybe even more so...and they too are mindful of not harming nature in regard to extinction....i have never felt a desire to steal anything...or commit obvious sins other than promiscuous sex i have live a rather good life and i cannot measure up to my family on both sides or the general congregation in a protestant church and i feel they are all have common sense in abundance...if one is homosexual ..they feel alienated but are welcome to be members of fhe church...of course homosexual behavior is thought to be a sin in the Bible but to be homosexual is not a sin absent of the behavior...so if you are unhappy with them and you know why...just simply avoid these folks and you will be happy....by live and let live....jz

Perhaps your attitude is rather unique in the Christian world. There's a way to see this in a practical way: How many bicycles you see at church?

Homosexuals may have been accepted but the concept of climate change is not popular in church. If driving were to be a sin, then the Amish would be right, and the world would be much greener than it is now.

Jul 12, 2016, 2:24:43 AM7/12/16
On Tuesday, July 12, 2016 at 12:54:33 AM UTC-4, john simmons wrote:
> in regards to climate change there is scientist that say it is not true and the climate is cooling...our common sense tells us not to be so goofy as to accept every new idea that comes down the pike....al gore was out of a job after creating the internet and losing the election...so is it unreasonable that he would be suspect to a bs game..and is it also reasonable to suspect liberals er ah democrats of wanting to create an agency and hire or install their friends and neighbors as the folks to run the agency...and of course if they can hire forty or fifty thousand people world wide... that is many votes for them in the next election they gained...no i dont think this thinking is unreasonable rather i see many folks maybe even you that would like one of those jobs and i see the water level on the ol bridge columns that stand in the ocean...it doesnt show any rise in the water level..i mean hey...i dont think this issue is gonna fly too much longer...jz

There we go. We should not listen to the people who know about climate and science. Instead we should listen to Trump.

Trump would fire anyone that supports climate change. ;)