I miss Sheldon

Tim McNamara

Apr 3, 2017, 9:19:37 PM4/3/17
Every April 1st I am reminded of how much I miss Sheldon.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/ridewithoutgps.html

Dammit. Just.... dammit.

(PeteCresswell)

Apr 4, 2017, 8:44:06 AM4/4/17
Per Tim McNamara:
>Every April 1st I am reminded of how much I miss Sheldon.

+1

There was a guy who truly left the world a better place.
--
Pete Cresswell

Andre Jute

Apr 4, 2017, 6:50:23 PM4/4/17
+1

Andre Jute
Now let us praise famous men -- Ecclesiastes

AMuzi

Apr 4, 2017, 7:41:48 PM4/4/17
Indeed.
I enjoyed Mr McNamara's reference to Captain Woskow too.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Tim McNamara

Apr 5, 2017, 9:45:43 PM4/5/17
On Tue, 04 Apr 2017 18:41:46 -0500, AMuzi <a...@yellowjersey.org> wrote:
> On 4/4/2017 5:50 PM, Andre Jute wrote:
>> On Tuesday, April 4, 2017 at 1:44:06 PM UTC+1, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
>>> Per Tim McNamara:
>>>
>>> +1
>>>
>>> There was a guy who truly left the world a better place. -- Pete
>>> Cresswell
>>
>> +1
>>
>> Andre Jute Now let us praise famous men -- Ecclesiastes
>>

> Indeed. I enjoyed Mr McNamara's reference to Captain Woskow too.

You do me more credit than I deserve; the reference was a fluke as I had
to look Capt. Woskow up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_T._Waskow

cycl...@gmail.com

Apr 6, 2017, 4:18:06 PM4/6/17
AHHHHHH MY EYES MY EYES!

Garrison Hilliard

Apr 11, 2017, 2:58:55 PM4/11/17
I miss Mister Brown also.

jbeattie

Apr 11, 2017, 4:35:50 PM4/11/17
If it matters at all, he is still being discovered. I was talking with my son the other day about some bicycle maintenance or repair issue, and he was telling me about doing research on the internet and seeing this whacky guy with a bird on a helmet, etc., etc. I said, "hey man, show some respect. That's Sheldon Brown." So now he knows Sheldon.

-- Jay Beattie.

Frank Krygowski

Apr 11, 2017, 4:54:08 PM4/11/17
I think that does matter. It would be a shame for such excellent work
to fall out of use.

We should also recognize John Allen, who has taken on the task of
maintaining and updating the site.

--
- Frank Krygowski

jbeattie

Apr 11, 2017, 5:32:51 PM4/11/17
Apart from the people, the knowledge is being forgotten -- or it is becoming irrelevant except to a select few. People are more interested in programming Di2 than whether hubs stand on or hang from the spokes or substitutes for French bottom brackets -- or options for upgrading a 1987 Dura-Ace UG seven-speed freehub, etc. I was changing into my cycling shoes in the lunchroom the other night and yaking at a young associate who rides. He was amazed to learn that we once nailed cleats onto our shoes. My headset wrenches are useless to me except for home defense.

-- Jay Beattie.

Tim McNamara

Apr 11, 2017, 6:30:34 PM4/11/17
On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 13:35:47 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie <jbeat...@msn.com>
wrote:
Cool. It matters.

Andre Jute

Apr 11, 2017, 6:46:29 PM4/11/17
On Tuesday, April 11, 2017 at 10:32:51 PM UTC+1, jbeattie wrote:
> My headset wrenches are useless to me except for home defense.

Why would you need to set your head with a wrench? Are you a robot, or a psychopath, or some kind of religious nut?

Andre Jute
I actually still have a bike with a threaded headset.

Doug Landau

Apr 11, 2017, 7:21:51 PM4/11/17
He is still a staple on CL
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/6068203260.html
This bridgestone owner must be the 1st in 10 yrs to neglect to cite Sheldon citing Andy on ishiwata tubing "... [as delivered to the builder]"