Cog Spacing

cycl...@gmail.com

Apr 21, 2017, 1:13:29 PM4/21/17
I've been thinking about it - is there any difference in the cog spacing between Shimano 10 speed and Campy?

AMuzi

Apr 21, 2017, 2:27:08 PM4/21/17
On 4/21/2017 12:13 PM, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> I've been thinking about it - is there any difference in the cog spacing between Shimano 10 speed and Campy?

In theory yes (ISTR 0.2mm variance?) in practice almost no.
The difference is less than the slop in your gear system.
Set up the index in a middle gear so the variance is slight
at both ends. If you're unhappy with 'darn close' shifting
there are conversion cassettes for the other hub format.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Benderthe.evilrobot

Apr 21, 2017, 4:07:16 PM4/21/17

"AMuzi" <a...@yellowjersey.org> wrote in message
> On 4/21/2017 12:13 PM, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
>> I've been thinking about it - is there any difference in the cog spacing
>> between Shimano 10 speed and Campy?
>>

> In theory yes (ISTR 0.2mm variance?) in practice almost no.
> The difference is less than the slop in your gear system.

How bad does the "slop" get before its failure imminent?

Mine's probably getting that way - but its probably time to retire the whole
bike anyway.

---
http://www.avg.com

Doug Landau

Apr 21, 2017, 4:10:26 PM4/21/17
On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 1:07:16 PM UTC-7, Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:
> "AMuzi" <a...@yellowjersey.org> wrote in message
> > On 4/21/2017 12:13 PM, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> >> I've been thinking about it - is there any difference in the cog spacing
> >> between Shimano 10 speed and Campy?
> >>

> > In theory yes (ISTR 0.2mm variance?) in practice almost no.
> > The difference is less than the slop in your gear system.
>
> How bad does the "slop" get before its failure imminent?
>
> Mine's probably getting that way - but its probably time to retire the whole
> bike anyway.

Does it fail? Or just get sloppier?

AMuzi

Apr 21, 2017, 5:01:11 PM4/21/17
On 4/21/2017 3:07 PM, Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:

> "AMuzi" <a...@yellowjersey.org> wrote in message
>> On 4/21/2017 12:13 PM, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> I've been thinking about it - is there any difference in
>>> the cog spacing between Shimano 10 speed and Campy?
>>>

>> In theory yes (ISTR 0.2mm variance?) in practice almost no.
>> The difference is less than the slop in your gear system.
>
> How bad does the "slop" get before its failure imminent?
>
> Mine's probably getting that way - but its probably time to
> retire the whole bike anyway.

I didn't mean wear or damage on your particular bike. The
top pulley has float in it to center within a slight
misalignment. It's a feature, now out of patent.

Benderthe.evilrobot

Apr 21, 2017, 5:23:05 PM4/21/17

"Doug Landau" <doug....@gmail.com> wrote in message
I've seen the doofer with the 2 jockey wheels come apart, but that was on a
well knackered bike I stripped for parts.

cycl...@gmail.com

Apr 22, 2017, 3:55:30 PM4/22/17
That's what I needed to know.