A new inner tube design?

James

Nov 22, 2015, 10:10:16 PM11/22/15

Clive George

Nov 22, 2015, 11:07:39 PM11/22/15
On 23/11/2015 03:10, James wrote:
> http://shop.rubena.com.au/product/gaadi-tube/

I believe they've been around for a while. For a bike where it's tedious
to remove the rear wheel - chaincase, etc - they offer distinct
advantages. I'm guessing they're lumpy at the join, hence never becoming
normal.

James

Nov 22, 2015, 11:09:45 PM11/22/15
I wasn't sure whether they were new or not. I can imagine there being a
lump bump at the join. Maybe they ought to have an overlapping tapered
join?

--
JS

Lou Holtman

Nov 23, 2015, 8:37:22 AM11/23/15
They are a blessing for Dutch utility bikes with full chain cases and hubgears which makes wheelremoval impossible on the road. The join don't feel lumpy. Not surprised considering the sturdy tyres used on these bikes were flat resistance is number one priority.

Lou

AMuzi

Nov 23, 2015, 8:37:39 AM11/23/15
On 11/22/2015 9:10 PM, James wrote:
> http://shop.rubena.com.au/product/gaadi-tube/

That was a hot innovation in the 1890s.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Frank Krygowski

Nov 23, 2015, 10:31:26 AM11/23/15
On 11/23/2015 8:37 AM, AMuzi wrote:
> On 11/22/2015 9:10 PM, James wrote:
>> http://shop.rubena.com.au/product/gaadi-tube/
>>

> That was a hot innovation in the 1890s.

Which shows that in the bicycling world, the words "New" and "Unique"
and "Innovative" don't necessarily mean what one might think.

New - (adj.) Hasn't been re-invented for a couple decades.

Unique - (adj.) The same as the other ones we hope you don't know about.

Innovative - (adj.) Probably goofy, illogical or dangerous.

--
- Frank Krygowski

James

Nov 23, 2015, 3:02:25 PM11/23/15
On 23/11/15 23:37, AMuzi wrote:
> On 11/22/2015 9:10 PM, James wrote:
>> http://shop.rubena.com.au/product/gaadi-tube/
>>

> That was a hot innovation in the 1890s.

Wow. The innovation is still winning awards well over a century later...

"The GAADI Bicycle Tube won the “Euro Bike Award 2013″ in the category
‘Accessories’ for ‘Outstanding quality and innovative design.’ It also
won the “Fiets Innovatie (Bicycle Innovation) Award 2013″ presented by
the ‘Bicycle and Automotive Industry’ in Amsterdam, Netherlands ."

--
JS

sms

Nov 23, 2015, 3:15:08 PM11/23/15
Yeah, well a lot of "inventions" are rehashes of old products. Sometimes
the original product failed for issues that the newer product may have
solved.

I see the patent for this tube is from a company in China.
<http://pdfaiw.uspto.gov/.aiw?Docid=20150090387&homeurl=http%3A%2F%2Fappft.uspto.gov%2Fnetacgi%2Fnph-Parser%3FSect1%3DPTO1%2526Sect2%3DHITOFF%2526d%3DPG01%2526p%3D1%2526u%3D%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.html%2526r%3D1%2526f%3DG%2526l%3D50%2526s1%3D20150090387.PGNR.%2526OS%3D%2526RS%3D&PageNum=&Rtype=&SectionNum=&idkey=BA0E042DAAEE>

I wonder if the original design, if it actually existed, was patented.

This would be a nice tube for the rear wheel on my Dahon folder with the
Nexus 7 hub.

Of course you can often patch a tube without removing the wheel.

DougC

Nov 23, 2015, 10:15:00 PM11/23/15
On 11/23/2015 7:37 AM, AMuzi wrote:
> On 11/22/2015 9:10 PM, James wrote:
>> http://shop.rubena.com.au/product/gaadi-tube/
>>

> That was a hot innovation in the 1890s.

The last time I recall there was a company that produced these things
(non-looped bicycle inner tubes) was maybe 10 years ago? Not very long.
I saw them posted around online on blogs, not in online or real-world
stores.... And I know I've seen the patents through the years come up
multiple times in searching for other stuff.

Last time I was browsing google patents I think I found about a dozen
bicycle tire patents that were for "an additional puncture protection
layer under the tread", and about a half-dozen more that were for
bicycle tires with "an additional puncture protection layer in the
sidewalls". Likewise, there is a few patents for "bicycle tires with
foldable beads"...

--I have noted that patents filed by large corporations (Trek, Giant,
Kenda ect) tend to be rather specific about their claims, while the
patents that are vague and broad are not usually filed by said large
corporations--

Also about every 5 years somebody gets a new patent on (bicycle) tire
scrapers.

And (almost) every modern bicycle saddle shape isn't modern... The one
exception being the Manta saddle, that I have yet to find anything
similar to in the wayback machine.
http://mantasaddle.co.uk/
Never owned or tried one. Looks intriguing, but it won't fit on any bike
I have nowadays. If I built a crank-forward-style copy I'd consider it.

sms

Nov 24, 2015, 10:53:19 AM11/24/15
On 11/23/2015 7:15 PM, DougC wrote:
> On 11/23/2015 7:37 AM, AMuzi wrote:
>> On 11/22/2015 9:10 PM, James wrote:
>>> http://shop.rubena.com.au/product/gaadi-tube/
>>>

>> That was a hot innovation in the 1890s.
>>

> The last time I recall there was a company that produced these things
> (non-looped bicycle inner tubes) was maybe 10 years ago? Not very long.
> I saw them posted around online on blogs, not in online or real-world
> stores.... And I know I've seen the patents through the years come up
> multiple times in searching for other stuff.
>
> Last time I was browsing google patents I think I found about a dozen
> bicycle tire patents that were for "an additional puncture protection
> layer under the tread", and about a half-dozen more that were for
> bicycle tires with "an additional puncture protection layer in the
> sidewalls". Likewise, there is a few patents for "bicycle tires with
> foldable beads"...

The USPO doesn't have the resources to do extensive searches so a patent
will be granted on something that has already been patented and then
it's up to the original patent holder to defend their patent.

And of course small companies lack the resources to defend their
patents, and it's often likely that their patents were not very strong
to begin with.

Any time a company starts touting "patented design" in their advertising
it's a red flag to me. If their value proposition is that their product
is "patented" then it's probably not all that good of a product.