Rear Hub width

John B Slocomb

Nov 12, 2016, 8:05:35 AM11/12/16

I am in the process of making a couple of wheel truing stands. I
believe that all front hubs are the same width and that rear hubs vary
with 135mm the widest that I am aware of. I believe that the 10 and 11
speed road hubs are the normal road bike rear hub width of 130mm.

Are there any common hub widths wider than 135mm? And what is the
outside diameter of a 29" wheel rim?

AMuzi

Nov 12, 2016, 8:27:26 AM11/12/16
'29' is the new term for 700Cxfat tire. Rim OD about 634mm
but significantly larger with a 700x54 tire on it!

You're right about the most popular formats. Classic British
steel front hubs are 95mm, tandem rears 140mm & 160mm. There
are more now and if you want to plan for the future all bets
are off.

We own some nicely made very old fixtures for which we
bought offset and taller extenders:
http://www.parktool.com/product/upright-extensions-thru-axle-adaptors-ts-2ext-2

Cheap too-we could not fabricate them for the asking price.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Mike A Schwab

Nov 12, 2016, 1:05:47 PM11/12/16
Fat tire rear hubs are 170mm.
https://fat-bike.com/2013/03/fat-bike-101-frame-types/

Large bikes have 36 in wheels.
https://dirtysixer.com/

Folding bicycles go down to 12 inches. Children bikes might be smaller.

Andre Jute

Nov 12, 2016, 1:13:10 PM11/12/16
On Saturday, November 12, 2016 at 1:27:26 PM UTC, AMuzi wrote:

> '29' is the new term for 700Cxfat tire. Rim OD about 634mm
> but significantly larger with a 700x54 tire on it!

With a 622x60, a pretty common tyre these days, on an optimum-width rim (40% of tyre width), the outside diameter of the mounted tyre is 742mm (calculated) or 745mm (stated by one manufacturer), both of which is over 29 inches, or over 29in (measured as 29 inches and some small but noticeable fraction like perhaps an eighth of an inch or even 3/16in). Best tool is a dressmaker's hemming measure.

Rims and tyres for 36in diameter bicycle wheels are also available.

Andre Jute
No spurious precision here

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Nov 12, 2016, 9:03:55 PM11/12/16

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Nov 12, 2016, 9:10:16 PM11/12/16
where 36 inch tires....tiring yourself into a corner ?

36.....I am prepared...

Andre Jute

Nov 12, 2016, 9:46:58 PM11/12/16
On Sunday, November 13, 2016 at 2:10:16 AM UTC, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
> where 36 inch tires....tiring yourself into a corner ?

Another mindless clown whose first response when he hears of something not seen before on his street corner is to sneer and jeer instead of to learn.

Andre Jute
Zero tolerance for rude idiots

Dennis Davis

Nov 13, 2016, 4:28:11 AM11/13/16
In article <2bbffa5f-a911-47b2...@googlegroups.com>,
Andre Jute <fiul...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>On Sunday, November 13, 2016 at 2:10:16 AM UTC, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
>> where 36 inch tires....tiring yourself into a corner ?
>
>Another mindless clown whose first response when he hears of
>something not seen before on his street corner is to sneer and jeer
>instead of to learn.

Judging by the garbled responses, "DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH" is more
likely to be a failed undergraduate artificial intelligence project
that has been left running by mistake. Needless to say, it's in my
killfile.
--
Dennis Davis <denni...@fastmail.fm>

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Nov 13, 2016, 6:11:58 AM11/13/16
Adiios ....

I searched 36 inch tires n tried Universal Cycles at downtown Rumpville n saw none...over at the NBA ?

Cipperman ?

John B Slocomb

Nov 13, 2016, 6:46:30 AM11/13/16
Thank you. I was certainly hoping that no one mentioned the "new 15
speed cassettes that are expected to arrive next year", or some such
thing :-)

I do most of my own fabrication and have a mate who owns a lathe and
for whom I make things and in return he makes lathe turned stuff for
me. It works well for retired folks :-)

John B Slocomb

Nov 13, 2016, 6:46:31 AM11/13/16
As I wrote some time ago, I've had Jute kill filed for some time and
have yet to miss him :-)

AMuzi

Nov 13, 2016, 11:55:07 AM11/13/16
Dear Gene
try not-gurgle searches:
http://www.rickshawseason.com/coker-monster-cruiser/

you're welcome

Andrew Chaplin

Nov 13, 2016, 12:29:38 PM11/13/16
AMuzi <a...@yellowjersey.org> wrote in news:o0a5sa$t75$3...@dont-email.me:

> On 11/13/2016 5:11 AM, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
>> Adiios ....
>>
>> I searched 36 inch tires n tried Universal Cycles at downtown
>> Rumpville n saw none...over at the NBA ?
>>
>> Cipperman ?
>>

> Dear Gene
> try not-gurgle searches:
> http://www.rickshawseason.com/coker-monster-cruiser/
>
> you're welcome

Classis Idaho stop at about 3:30.

From the noises it makes, it sounds like an unhappy relationship between
chain and either the chainwheel or rear cog.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

Andre Jute

Nov 13, 2016, 4:19:38 PM11/13/16
On Sunday, November 13, 2016 at 9:28:11 AM UTC, Dennis Davis wrote:
> In article <>,
> Andre Jute <> wrote:
> >On Sunday, November 13, 2016 at 2:10:16 AM UTC, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
> >> where 36 inch tires....tiring yourself into a corner ?
> >
> >Another mindless clown whose first response when he hears of
> >something not seen before on his street corner is to sneer and jeer
> >instead of to learn.
>
> Judging by the garbled responses, "DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH" is more
> likely to be a failed undergraduate artificial intelligence project
> that has been left running by mistake. Needless to say, it's in my
> killfile.
> --
> Dennis Davis <>

Back when a computer on every desk was ralatively new, there was a crude artificial intelligence project, called Eliza. It appeared to carry on conversations by taking the respondent's input and rephrasing it into a question via a simple algorithm. Another psychologist in my department beat it by the simple expedient of not giving it any input to work with; that struck it mute.

Andre Jute
The real thing -- Advertising slogan

Andre Jute

Nov 13, 2016, 4:24:04 PM11/13/16
On Sunday, November 13, 2016 at 11:46:31 AM UTC, John B Slocomb wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Nov 2016 09:28:08 +0000 (UTC), Dennis Davis
> <> wrote:
>
> >In article <2bbffa5f-a911-47b2...@googlegroups.com>,
> >Andre Jute <> wrote:
> >>
> >>Another mindless clown whose first response when he hears of
> >>something not seen before on his street corner is to sneer and jeer
> >>instead of to learn.
> >
> >Judging by the garbled responses, "DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH" is more
> >likely to be a failed undergraduate artificial intelligence project
> >that has been left running by mistake. Needless to say, it's in my
> >killfile.
>
> As I wrote some time ago, I've had Jute kill filed for some time and
> have yet to miss him :-)

Poor Slow Johnny. When a meteorite shoots across the sky, he sees my face in it. Nope, Slow Johnny, that was Jeff Daniels that the fellow killfiled, not me.

Andre Jute
Ineffable

cycl...@gmail.com

Nov 14, 2016, 11:19:44 AM11/14/16
How did this turn from information on wheel widths to insults?

John - there is a reason that the usual commercial wheel truing stand is adjustable. Rear widths go from 110 for single speeds to 145 for the latest full suspension rear hubs. There are also special cases that are either wider or narrower.

And commercially available truing stands are so reasonably priced (unlike most bicycle tools) that it doesn't make much sense to build your own.

Frank Krygowski

Nov 14, 2016, 2:56:43 PM11/14/16
On Monday, November 14, 2016 at 11:19:44 AM UTC-5, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:

> John - there is a reason that the usual commercial wheel truing stand is adjustable. Rear widths go from 110 for single speeds to 145 for the latest full suspension rear hubs. There are also special cases that are either wider or narrower.
>
> And commercially available truing stands are so reasonably priced (unlike most bicycle tools) that it doesn't make much sense to build your own.

Back when I had a lot less money but access to a machine shop, I made my first
truing stand. It was very basic, since I didn't build very many wheels. And
some (but not all) of the adjustment for hub width was just flex in the support
arms.

BTW, one friend of mine was, for many years, one of the wheelbuilders for one
of the country's biggest mail order bike companies. He built lots and lots
of wheels, using a stand he designed and built himself. Its main structure
was of wooden 2x4s.

- Frank Krygowski

John B Slocomb

Nov 15, 2016, 6:50:30 AM11/15/16
You won't believe it but steel is often cheaper than wood here :-)

John B Slocomb

Nov 15, 2016, 6:50:30 AM11/15/16
On Mon, 14 Nov 2016 08:19:42 -0800 (PST), cycl...@gmail.com wrote:

>On Saturday, November 12, 2016 at 5:05:35 AM UTC-8, John B Slocomb wrote:
>> I am in the process of making a couple of wheel truing stands. I
>> believe that all front hubs are the same width and that rear hubs vary
>> with 135mm the widest that I am aware of. I believe that the 10 and 11
>> speed road hubs are the normal road bike rear hub width of 130mm.
>>
>> Are there any common hub widths wider than 135mm? And what is the
>> outside diameter of a 29" wheel rim?
>
>How did this turn from information on wheel widths to insults?
>
>John - there is a reason that the usual commercial wheel
truing stand is adjustable. Rear widths go from 110 for single speeds
to 145 for the latest full suspension rear hubs. There are also
special cases that are either wider or narrower.

Yes, I am aware of that. Thus my questions.

>And commercially available truing stands are so reasonably
priced (unlike most bicycle tools) that it doesn't make much sense to
build your own.

I'm retired. I have the necessary skills and equipment. The material
is cheap to buy. Why not make it myself?

cycl...@gmail.com

Nov 16, 2016, 1:59:24 PM11/16/16
I'm retired as well and money is especially tight with the monetary effects of the concussion and required anti-seizure medication but I still bought a Park Truing stand. But I had wholesale prices available to me that you might not.

John B Slocomb

Nov 16, 2016, 7:16:02 PM11/16/16
So? You pay wholesale and I pay far less for the materials and spend a
little time to make the things.

cycl...@gmail.com

Nov 17, 2016, 11:12:37 AM11/17/16
My time was worth over $150/hr. So unfortunately I still have that mindset of time. One hour of my time was worth more than the cost of a wheel truing stand.

Doug Landau

Nov 17, 2016, 1:03:41 PM11/17/16
yer high

John B Slocomb

Nov 17, 2016, 7:34:18 PM11/17/16
"Was" is of course the determining factor. Try substituting "Now" :-)
But more to the point, what are you doing if you are not building a
wheel stand? Watching TV? Facebook?

Phil Lee

Nov 18, 2016, 5:40:24 PM11/18/16
cycl...@gmail.com considered Thu, 17 Nov 2016 08:12:35 -0800 (PST)
One is given to question what use you had for a wheel truing stand
then - after all, wouldn't it have been cheaper to pay a professional
to build and true wheels for you? I doubt that you'd be paying them
$150/hr, and they'd almost certainly take less time than you as well.
Wheel building and truing are no different from building the stand to
do it - both pointless (or at best, uneconomical) exercises if you
value your time at $150/hr.