Manitou 5 Recall !!!?!!!

Thom Hayes

Mar 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/26/96
That's right. Answer Products has just asked retailers of their products
to remove several models of their popular Manitou Mach 5 Suspension Fork
from their shelves and take bikes equiped with them off the floor.
Details are sketchy at this point. This is what is known:
-People are asked to stop riding the forks immediately.
-At this point some serial #'s are an automatic replacement and others are
"send it to Answer for inspection." (But if we wait, they will likely make
details known to dealers and allow them make inspections, without the mail
hassle- as they did with early problem on the Manitou Mach 4)
-The nature of the problem hasn't yet been stated.
Check with your friendy neighborhood bike retailer for more information as
it unfolds.
Luck to you all.

Thom Hayes E-mail: tha...@admin.ogi.edu
Teacher Support Associate and: eart...@admin.ogi.edu
The Earth & Sea Investigators' Program Phone: (503) 690-1363
Saturday Academy FAX : (503) 690-1388
Oregon Graduate Institute of Science & Technology
PO Box 91000
Portland, OR 97291-1000 http://www.sce.ojgse.edu/earthsea

Jim McMillan

Mar 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/27/96

>The outer leg castings may need to be replaced ("the casting failure
>may cause the front wheel to separate from the bicycle.")

Sounds painful....

Mark Huie

Mar 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/27/96
In article <v02140b05605e2cc1b56f@[129.95.60.22]>,

Thom Hayes <tha...@lclark.edu> wrote:
>That's right. Answer Products has just asked retailers of their products
>to remove several models of their popular Manitou Mach 5 Suspension Fork
>from their shelves and take bikes equiped with them off the floor.
>Details are sketchy at this point. This is what is known:
>-People are asked to stop riding the forks immediately.
>-At this point some serial #'s are an automatic replacement and others are
>"send it to Answer for inspection." (But if we wait, they will likely make
>details known to dealers and allow them make inspections, without the mail
>hassle- as they did with early problem on the Manitou Mach 4)

This applies to all Mach 5 forks- the SX, Pro and Comp:

Forks with serial numbers less than #5100149464 need to be returned.
Numbers less than #5100076500 will be replaced, the others will
be inspected and replaced if necessary. Forks with a little red dot
on the inside of the dropout have been inpected and are okay.
Serial numbers greater than #5100149464 are not affected.

>-The nature of the problem hasn't yet been stated.

The outer leg castings may need to be replaced ("the casting failure

may cause the front wheel to separate from the bicycle.")

Only the outer legs need to be returned.

>Check with your friendy neighborhood bike retailer for more information as
>it unfolds.

Yeah, what he said. They can call Answer and get the proper Return
Authorization.

-huie
--
Mark Huie After all is said and done,
mh...@netcom.com more is said than done.

Bob Smith

Mar 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/29/96
Mark Huie wrote:

> In article <v02140b05605e2cc1b56f@[129.95.60.22]>,
> Thom Hayes <tha...@lclark.edu> wrote:
> >That's right. Answer Products has just asked retailers of their products
> >to remove several models of their popular Manitou Mach 5 Suspension Fork
> >from their shelves and take bikes equiped with them off the floor.[edit]

> This applies to all Mach 5 forks- the SX, Pro and Comp:
>
> Forks with serial numbers less than #5100149464 need to be returned.
> Numbers less than #5100076500 will be replaced, the others will
> be inspected and replaced if necessary. Forks with a little red dot
> on the inside of the dropout have been inpected and are okay.
> Serial numbers greater than #5100149464 are not affected.[edit]

> The outer leg castings may need to be replaced ("the casting failure
> may cause the front wheel to separate from the bicycle.")
> [edit]

Today (3/29) my LBS here in NJ said that ALL Manitou Mach V forks were
recalled, not just certain serial numbers.

--
Bob Smith
RDSM...@IX.NETCOM.COM

Bogdan Miliu

Mar 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/30/96
In article <mhuieDo...@netcom.com> mh...@netcom.com (Mark Huie) writes:
>From: mh...@netcom.com (Mark Huie)
>Subject: Re: Manitou 5 Recall !!!?!!!
>Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 21:43:49 GMT

>In article <v02140b05605e2cc1b56f@[129.95.60.22]>,
>Thom Hayes <tha...@lclark.edu> wrote:
>>That's right. Answer Products has just asked retailers of their products
>>to remove several models of their popular Manitou Mach 5 Suspension Fork
>>from their shelves and take bikes equiped with them off the floor.

>>Details are sketchy at this point. This is what is known:
>>-People are asked to stop riding the forks immediately.
>>-At this point some serial #'s are an automatic replacement and others are
>>"send it to Answer for inspection." (But if we wait, they will likely make
>>details known to dealers and allow them make inspections, without the mail
>>hassle- as they did with early problem on the Manitou Mach 4)

>This applies to all Mach 5 forks- the SX, Pro and Comp:

>Forks with serial numbers less than #5100149464 need to be returned.
>Numbers less than #5100076500 will be replaced, the others will
>be inspected and replaced if necessary. Forks with a little red dot
>on the inside of the dropout have been inpected and are okay.
>Serial numbers greater than #5100149464 are not affected.

>>-The nature of the problem hasn't yet been stated.

>The outer leg castings may need to be replaced ("the casting failure

>may cause the front wheel to separate from the bicycle.")

>Only the outer legs need to be returned.

>>Check with your friendy neighborhood bike retailer for more information as
>>it unfolds.

>Yeah, what he said. They can call Answer and get the proper Return
>Authorization.

>-huie
>--
>Mark Huie After all is said and done,
>mh...@netcom.com more is said than done.

Another great reason to go with Rock Shocks Judy's..........

Later..

Bogdan Miliu

Douglas Pippel

Apr 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/1/96
Bob Smith wrote:

> Today (3/29) my LBS here in NJ said that ALL Manitou Mach V forks were
> recalled, not just certain serial numbers.

Your LBS is wrong. Better have them check their reading glasses. Here is the *dealer* recall
notice from Answer Products regarding the Mach5:

--------------------------

Re: 1995-96 Answer Manitou Mach 5 SX Mountain Bike Suspension Forks
1995-96 Answer Manitou Mach 5 Pro Mountain Bike Suspension Forks
1995-96 Answer Manitou Mach 5 Comp Mountain Bike Suspension Forks

Answer Products has found that a small percentage of the 1995-96 season Manitou Mach 5 fork
die cast leg assemblies may fail under certian circumstances. Although the percentage of forks
that have castings which could fail under some circumctances is very small, the casting failure
causes the front wheel to separate from the bicycle. This situation would result in loss of
control of the bicycle. Therefore, we are requesting all of the subject forks be inspected, by
our dealers.

We request that you please:

1. Notify all known purchaseres and owners to STOP USING THE MANITOU MACH 5 FORK IMMEDIATELY
UNTIL THE SERIAL NUMBER CAN BE INSPECTED and the appropriate action indicated below is taken.

2. STOP SALES OF ALL NEW MACH 5 FORKS in your inventory until the serial numbers of the Mach 5
forks in stock, or on the bicycles can be inspected and appropriate action per this notice
taken.

3. All Mach 5 forks with Serial Numbers LESS than Ser. # 5100086500 need to have the outer leg
castings replaced before riding. The casting replacement will be done at no charge.

4. Forks that have Serial Numbers that are GREATER the Ser.# 5100086500 yet LESS than Ser.#
5100149464 need to be returned to be inspected here at Answer Products and reworked if
necessary. This work willbe done at no charge.

5. All Mach 5 forks wth a serial number LESS than # 5100149464, BUT have a Red pain dot on
the inside of the drop out, have already been inspected and are not subject to this notice.

6. All Mach 5 forks witha Serial No. greater than #5100149464 do not need further inspection
and are not subject to this notice.

7. Post this notice in your store(s) in a conspicuous place for at least 120 days.

8. See your local Manitou Retailer or call Answer Products at (800) 670-7445 to get a RA
(Return Authorization) for a product that requires inspection or rework. RA numbers and
shipping instructions will be issued immediately via phone by a Customer Service
representative. The casting replacement will be done at no charge.

9. You may have your Retailer perform the inspection/rework or you may send the forks involved to

Answer Products, Inc.
28209 Avenue Stanford
Valencia, California 91355

Write "M-5 REWORK" on the package for quick identification and turn around. For forks on an
assembled bicycle, it is recommended that the crown steerer reamin on the bicycle and just the
stanchion/leg assembly is returned for inspection or rework. All work and parts required will
replaced at No Charge to the customer.