Missing Adjuster

cycl...@yahoo.com

Sep 22, 2015, 3:54:53 PM9/22/15
I am building up a new CX bike.

After riding a CX bike I built, I decided to try another full suspension. Well those are not fun for grown-ups. They climb slowly with the minimum trail of these things allowing the front wheel to slap back and forth at slow speeds. And the trail is reduced allowing this so that it doesn't overpower the bike at extreme high speeds they are capable of on down-hills. The reduced trail allows good or even great handling in these conditions.

Mountain bikes are simply impractical for knocking about sport riding off-road. They are clumsier and heavier. And MUCH slower. But CX bikes are really nice. Though you have to have the correct position on them well worked out.

Anyway to get to the problem - the frame and fork I got off of Craigslist has an FSA CX-type headset. But it is missing the adjuster barrel and adjuster. I cannot find anywhere to buy this and FSA hasn't answered my emails.

I have looked on Ebay and Craigslist and MANY CX bikes have these nice headsets on them and in almost every case the adjuster is missing.

Does anyone know where to get one of these adjusters with the tube?

Joerg

Oct 8, 2015, 12:30:28 PM10/8/15
On 2015-09-22 12:54 PM, cycl...@yahoo.com wrote:
> I am building up a new CX bike.
>
> After riding a CX bike I built, I decided to try another full
> suspension. Well those are not fun for grown-ups. They climb slowly
> with the minimum trail of these things allowing the front wheel to
> slap back and forth at slow speeds. And the trail is reduced allowing
> this so that it doesn't overpower the bike at extreme high speeds
> they are capable of on down-hills. The reduced trail allows good or
> even great handling in these conditions.
>
> Mountain bikes are simply impractical for knocking about sport riding
> off-road. They are clumsier and heavier. And MUCH slower.

Can't say that. My mileage splits about 50/50 between road bike and
FS-MTB. The MTB has a 1-2mph average penalty on the road on account of
the big tires and the motorcycle-grade tubes (rear tire gets warm at
higher speeds). But I can barrel over potholes and decayed roads at full
bore so on the trip to the Fedex depot I don't really lose time on the MTB.

If you have lots of bumpy climbs you'll need one with lockouts. Mine has
that for front and rear but I barely engage either lockout.

> ... But CX
> bikes are really nice. Though you have to have the correct position
> on them well worked out.

And a somewhat easy trail plus an impeccably healthy lower back. I don't
have the latter. Once I met a cyclocross rider on a local trail (El
Dorado Trail). Looked like a very seasoned rider yet he said that trail
is too bone-jarring to be much fun. Lots of loose rocks you have to ride
over and let the bike "float onto a step". On my old non-suspension MTB
that was never much of an enjoyable ride.

> Anyway to get to the problem - the frame and fork I got off of
> Craigslist has an FSA CX-type headset. But it is missing the adjuster
> barrel and adjuster. I cannot find anywhere to buy this and FSA
> hasn't answered my emails.
>
> I have looked on Ebay and Craigslist and MANY CX bikes have these
> nice headsets on them and in almost every case the adjuster is
> missing.
>
> Does anyone know where to get one of these adjusters with the tube?

Can't you just buy the whole thing? Doesn't seem expensive:

http://www.blueskycycling.com/product9219_42_-FSA-Orbit-X-CX-Headset.htm

Looks a bit scary to me. Can't that result in involuntary harakiri
during an endo?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/