Steeling another Ride

cycl...@gmail.com

Aug 26, 2016, 2:58:36 PM8/26/16
Lost track of time yesterday morning and hopped on the bike at 8:15 instead of 7:45. Rode fast but still missed the group. Now I normally know where they're going since they are as predictable as sunrise. But even going fast I didn't catch them at the top of the hill where they would have normally waited at least twice for slower set.

On the way down a drop I got hit by a strong side wind. I braced for the effect and ,,,,,, nothing. I don't know if this Basso Loto has more directional stability or if I'm simply more relaxed on the bike because it rides so much better than a stiff riding C40. On the C40 a gust like that would have pushed me clear across the road.

I rode through Pleasanton and they weren't there. I continued on since I knew that there was a cafe in Sunol that they could stop at. There was an awful lot of traffic on the side road and I decided that that *)( ) Goggle Maps was directing people onto the side road because of traffic jams ahead. There sure weren't any on the adjacent freeway but more and more traffic was buzzing by me at increasingly unsafe speeds. Coming around a turn and starting uphill a mile from the stop sign at Niles Canyon the traffic was stopped. All of those cars that had been driving by WAY too close were stopped and although many of them had pulled into the side trying to block me I could get around them. Every car that had passed me in the last 4 miles was stopped and I passed them all.

Getting up to the stop sign it's a three way stop with traffic in all directions so I turned right and accelerated up to 22 across the narrow bridge and pulled into Sunol. Riding into town all of the businesses were boarded over. This is Governor Moonbeam Brown's thriving economy. By this time I had been riding pretty much flat out to catch the group and they weren't here so they must have taken another route. Very unlike them.

But I was worn down so I had to ride slow back the 10 miles to the climb back over the hill and into Castro Valley.

Oddly enough again the steel bike was showing it's merits. Although my legs were tired from pushing, my back, my shoulders, my neck and my tush were not hurting as they ALWAYS would be on the C40.

As I was riding around the turns I could accelerate on the Basso which I could not do on the C40 because it was so rigid that it kept the wheels off the ground a lot.

I hit the climb and I seemed to be climbing a lot faster than I did on the lighter carbon bikes. Maybe this was just my screwed up memory. But there was a heck of a headwind and I was still going up at 7 to 11 mph on a 5% climb when that would normally be closer to 6 according to my memory. As I got to the top my butt was hurting some. But as I cleared the top and started down this disappeared almost instantly which it never did before.

The Basso is 63 cm C-T and the C40 Large is a 59 C-T of toptube. But the measurements between handbars, saddle center and pedals is the same. So the only thing I can attribute this much softer ride to is the steel tubes.

On the downhill I hit 40 mph on a fairly mild descent. On the C40 by this time I'd be so sore that I'd be more or less coasting.

I took a detour to put in a couple of extra miles but it turned out that they were the same distance so I ended up getting home at 12:30. 55 miles, 2,000 ft of climbing with a max of 10% and an average speed of 13.6 which is about a mph faster than normal for a ride of this sort. Near home I had been forced to stop because these new "light" wheel quick releases do not hold well and the rear wheel was pulling over on hard accelerations to make lights and it was like slamming on the brakes.

If you are trying to decide on a new carbon fiber bike you might want to look at the custom steel offerings from Tommasini for about half the price. And they can talk about carbon fiber breaking all they want and you needn't pay the slightest attention.

Frank Krygowski

Aug 26, 2016, 4:01:08 PM8/26/16
Jan Heine of _Bicycle Quarterly_ talks about what he calls a "planing"
effect with steel bikes of (what he considers) optimum flexibility. As
I understand it, he believes the flex somehow allows the bike to sort of
synchronize with the rider's pedal strokes and make the ride easier than
with a rigid bike. ("Planing" is apparently an allusion to a speedboat
skimming the surface of the water, rather than plowing through it.)

I'm not saying I believe in "planing" in bikes. But you might be
interested that there's at least one guy who would nod knowingly at your
narration.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Lou Holtman

Aug 26, 2016, 4:25:17 PM8/26/16
The same people that are saying that comfort comes from tires and tire
pressure say that a steel frame is much more comfortable than Al or CF.
That is not my experience in 35 years of riding steel, aluminum, titanium
and CF frames. That C40 must have been a very shitty bike/frame.

--
Lou

jbeattie

Aug 26, 2016, 4:29:27 PM8/26/16
It sounds like your C40 sucked. I love my SuperSix -- the Roubaix, too, but it has a different personality. The Tommasini frames are in the $2300-2500 range. I got my SuperSix on sale for under $2500 complete (SRAM Red).

I think I would go with the Tommasini in the 63cm size (C/T) which, in the usual Italian fashion has a slightly short TT, and it is not clear from the page what the chainstay/WB lengths are. The weight, 3.527 in a 55cm frame omits the 2lb fork. http://tommasinibicycle.com/tommasini-tecno/ You can still build a pretty light bike I suppose. It seems like an option, but not really a cheap one. I'm sure there are cheaper steel options, but certainly not as flashy.

-- Jay Beattie.

Frank Krygowski

Aug 26, 2016, 9:13:51 PM8/26/16
On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 4:25:17 PM UTC-4, Lou Holtman wrote:
Don't misunderstand my post. I do most of my miles on either a super-rigid
Cannondale touring bike, or an old steel custom tandem which is a different
species entirely. Me, I like a rigid frame and don't care if it "planes" or
not - whatever that means.

(And I don't worry much about bike weight, although that's a different
conversation entirely.)

- Frank Krygowski

AMuzi

Aug 28, 2016, 9:40:25 AM8/28/16
On 8/26/2016 1:58 PM, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> Lost track of time yesterday morning and hopped on the bike
> -snip ride report-

> Near home I had been forced to stop because these new "light" wheel quick releases do not hold well and the rear wheel was pulling over on hard accelerations to make lights and it was like slamming on the brakes.

Get a regular steel QR and lube the cam. They have more
closing force and bite better too. None of that matters with
single-point ends but it does (as you found) with classic
horizontal ends.
--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

jbeattie

Aug 28, 2016, 7:44:49 PM8/28/16
I rode today with a guy who has a Landshark custom OS steel frame (don't know the tube brand, but its lugless, modern and light) and a Landshark custom CF frame. They are very close in weight and have the same geometry. He likes the steel frame better because it is stiffer climbing. Both have carbon forks. He also admitted to like the steel bike because of the wheels -- some ENVE CF tubular wheels. He also has the Chris King "angry bee" hubs, which are kind of annoying. It's probably a 56cm frame or smaller.

I think in a smaller frame, you can get practically any ride you want in any decent material without much of a weight penalty. Modern steel works fine. I think in larger sizes, weight and rigidity (or lack of rigidity) play more of a role. I never found CF "too stiff." But then again, I never found aluminum too stiff -- not even the first generation Cannondale straight gauge 6061. The bikes that "beat me up" were super flexible and inefficient or simply did not fit right.

-- Jay Beattie.

Lou Holtman

Aug 29, 2016, 2:43:30 PM8/29/16
The bikes that beat me up had stiff 18-20 mm wide tires that had to be
inflated to 8-9 bar to prevent pinchflats. The bikes had steel frames btw,
but that was because that was the only available in those days. Never go
'cheap' on tires.

--
Lou

sms

Aug 29, 2016, 5:46:19 PM8/29/16
On 8/26/2016 11:58 AM, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> Lost track of time yesterday morning and hopped on the bike at 8:15 instead of 7:45. Rode fast but still missed the group. Now I normally know where they're going since they are as predictable as sunrise. But even going fast I didn't catch them at the top of the hill where they would have normally waited at least twice for slower set.

<snip>

This weekend was odd with three different people, two of whom know
little about bicycles, relating stories about frame materials. A niece
and a sister-in-law were talking about acquaintances with CF bicycles
and how they replaced them every three years or so because of concerns,
real or imagined (probably planted by their LBS) that the CF bicycle was
"worn out" and subject to catastrophic failure after that amount of
time. Then I was giving a ride to my daughter's previous roommate, up to
UC Santa Cruz, and she said that her bike had a flat and that the gears
were "shifting slow" and how she might buy a new bicycle with the
proceeds from the refund of their apartment deposit, but that her
bicycle was very sought after since it was one of the last steel bicycle
produced by Marin. I have one of those too!

And you really can't blame Jerry Brown for some failed businesses in
Sunol, where they once elected a dog as mayor.

cycl...@gmail.com

Aug 29, 2016, 7:35:40 PM8/29/16
That is my intentions Andrew. But they are getting hard to come by. The best I've used are the old Campy style.

cycl...@gmail.com

Aug 29, 2016, 7:39:00 PM8/29/16
The dog was a MUCH better mayor of Sunol than Jerry Brown was of Oakland.

cycl...@gmail.com

Aug 29, 2016, 7:56:08 PM8/29/16
On Sunday I was pushed for time so I went out on a short ride - 30 miles and 2000 feet of climbing. Some of the climbing hit 12%.

I was passed by about a dozen kids at one time or another. The first to come by leaving everyone else in the dust was a young woman on one of the newer steel Bianchis.

Then there was a broken up group of about 10 or so young men all beating themselves to catch up. They were ALL riding steel bikes. I rode with one for awhile to look at his LeMonde and most of the rest were riding American brazed together frames. Surly and such. Only one of them had a carbon fiber fork.

While I was riding down a very fast downhill I pulled up to a stop light and a carbon fiber bike caught up and turned off.

Talking to several of the local shops none of them have sold a road bike in six months.

Maybe people are starting to catch on.

While going down a steep hill a CAR pulled over and I passed him at about 40 and made a right angle turn at speed a little further on and that guy didn't catch me until 2 miles further on.

For those that think that there must have been something wrong with the C40 - it was THE race bike in the 90's. And I have a Time VX, a Look 247 Tour Replica and two kinds of Colnago Dreams - one with the fork and complete rear triangle from a C50. They ALL (especially the Time) have VERY poor feel and high speed handling - you can get them to do what you want but only by forcing them to do it.

The Basso you only have to think what you want and it does it. I had an Eddy Merckx Strata OS made of Columbus BRAIN tubing that was the same way.

Joerg

Aug 29, 2016, 8:00:58 PM8/29/16
On 2016-08-26 11:58, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> Lost track of time yesterday morning and hopped on the bike at 8:15
> instead of 7:45. Rode fast but still missed the group. Now I normally
> know where they're going since they are as predictable as sunrise.
> But even going fast I didn't catch them at the top of the hill where
> they would have normally waited at least twice for slower set.
>
> On the way down a drop I got hit by a strong side wind. I braced for
> the effect and ,,,,,, nothing. I don't know if this Basso Loto has
> more directional stability or if I'm simply more relaxed on the bike
> because it rides so much better than a stiff riding C40. On the C40 a
> gust like that would have pushed me clear across the road.
>
> I rode through Pleasanton and they weren't there. I continued on
> since I knew that there was a cafe in Sunol that they could stop at.

With my guys you only need to check a few brewpubs :-)

> There was an awful lot of traffic on the side road and I decided that
> that *)( ) Goggle Maps was directing people onto the side road
> because of traffic jams ahead. There sure weren't any on the adjacent
> freeway but more and more traffic was buzzing by me at increasingly
> unsafe speeds. Coming around a turn and starting uphill a mile from
> the stop sign at Niles Canyon the traffic was stopped. All of those
> cars that had been driving by WAY too close were stopped and although
> many of them had pulled into the side trying to block me I could get
> around them. Every car that had passed me in the last 4 miles was
> stopped and I passed them all.
>
> Getting up to the stop sign it's a three way stop with traffic in all
> directions so I turned right and accelerated up to 22 across the
> narrow bridge and pulled into Sunol. Riding into town all of the
> businesses were boarded over. This is Governor Moonbeam Brown's
> thriving economy. By this time I had been riding pretty much flat out
> to catch the group and they weren't here so they must have taken
> another route. Very unlike them.
>
> But I was worn down so I had to ride slow back the 10 miles to the
> climb back over the hill and into Castro Valley.
>
> Oddly enough again the steel bike was showing it's merits. Although
> my legs were tired from pushing, my back, my shoulders, my neck and
> my tush were not hurting as they ALWAYS would be on the C40.

The tush has more to do with the seat than the frame though. On my steel
road bike it hurts after 40-50 miles while on the more plush WTB seat on
the MTB it doesn't. On the original Oval M200 seat the MTB had it did hurt.

> As I was riding around the turns I could accelerate on the Basso
> which I could not do on the C40 because it was so rigid that it kept
> the wheels off the ground a lot.
>
> I hit the climb and I seemed to be climbing a lot faster than I did
> on the lighter carbon bikes. Maybe this was just my screwed up
> memory. ...

Or magnetic force from all the ore in the ground :-)

> ... But there was a heck of a headwind and I was still going up
> at 7 to 11 mph on a 5% climb when that would normally be closer to 6
> according to my memory. As I got to the top my butt was hurting some.
> But as I cleared the top and started down this disappeared almost
> instantly which it never did before.
>
> The Basso is 63 cm C-T and the C40 Large is a 59 C-T of toptube. But
> the measurements between handbars, saddle center and pedals is the
> same. So the only thing I can attribute this much softer ride to is
> the steel tubes.
>
> On the downhill I hit 40 mph on a fairly mild descent. On the C40 by
> this time I'd be so sore that I'd be more or less coasting.

No front end wobble at a certain speed? That's what my steel frame does
somewhere around 32mph.

> I took a detour to put in a couple of extra miles but it turned out
> that they were the same distance so I ended up getting home at 12:30.
> 55 miles, 2,000 ft of climbing with a max of 10% and an average speed
> of 13.6 which is about a mph faster than normal for a ride of this
> sort. ...

That was a pretty good clip there. On my usual 45-50mi rides I can't
push much past 12mph average because of the hills. Probably similar to
the ones around Pleasanton. I don't have any tools to measure the total
feet though, about 1300ft elevation difference with several ups and
downs inbetween. The bike weighs around 26lbs (sans water and growler).

> ... Near home I had been forced to stop because these new "light"
> wheel quick releases do not hold well and the rear wheel was pulling
> over on hard accelerations to make lights and it was like slamming on
> the brakes.
>
> If you are trying to decide on a new carbon fiber bike you might want
> to look at the custom steel offerings from Tommasini for about half
> the price. And they can talk about carbon fiber breaking all they
> want and you needn't pay the slightest attention.

Or do what I did, resurrect your old road bike from when you were the
super-athlete. Or buy one, occasionally people sell them cheaply because
they don't know the value of a good steel frame. Mine has a Gazelle
frame. Full steampunk, downtube friction shifters and all that.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

cycl...@gmail.com

Aug 29, 2016, 8:09:43 PM8/29/16
Err - the "typical Italian fashion" is to have long top tubes. Though I don't know what you'd compare it to. The German bikes, like the PDQ Schwinns generally had top tube of 57 cm for a 62 or 63. Most Italian bikes are closer to 59 cm.

Italian 54's are often square which is a LONG top tube.

As for that "heavy" frame and fork - My C40 frame and fork with a Chris King headset weighs 4.54 lbs. My Basso with the components off of the C40 and with Campy Atlanta 1996 HEAVY wheels weigh a little less than a half lb heavier than the C40. Now there ARE lighter bikes. But if you're willing to risk you life on them at speed that causes cars to pull over to let you by be my guest.

cycl...@gmail.com

Aug 29, 2016, 8:33:03 PM8/29/16
On Monday, August 29, 2016 at 5:00:58 PM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:

> With my guys you only need to check a few brewpubs :-)

Where can I meet these guys!

> The tush has more to do with the seat than the frame though. On my steel
> road bike it hurts after 40-50 miles while on the more plush WTB seat on
> the MTB it doesn't. On the original Oval M200 seat the MTB had it did hurt.

Well I suppose that's true but it doesn't help to have your butt being slammed into your vocal chords.

> Or magnetic force from all the ore in the ground :-)

I'm not often told I have a magnetic personality. Rather the opposite I'm afraid.

> No front end wobble at a certain speed? That's what my steel frame does
> somewhere around 32mph.

None of my Basso's or Eddy Merckx's have had wobbles at any speed unless you tense up on the bars. Then the wobble has to do with your muscle tension. Neither did the steel Colnagoes.

My old French bikes and the Raleigh did wobble at anything over 28 or so.

> That was a pretty good clip there. On my usual 45-50mi rides I can't
> push much past 12mph average because of the hills. Probably similar to
> the ones around Pleasanton. I don't have any tools to measure the total
> feet though, about 1300ft elevation difference with several ups and
> downs inbetween. The bike weighs around 26lbs (sans water and growler).

The Basso is about that weight with water and heavy seat pack.

> Or do what I did, resurrect your old road bike from when you were the
> super-athlete. Or buy one, occasionally people sell them cheaply because
> they don't know the value of a good steel frame. Mine has a Gazelle
> frame. Full steampunk, downtube friction shifters and all that.

When I got the concussion in 2009 I kept falling off after that. Apparently no one could recognize effects of a seizure. I guess I finally got angry that I couldn't ride without falling off and sold off all of my bikes and threw away all of my bike clothing - an entire double closet full. I had every team Jersey for 30 years in my size. I could make even Jacques Anquitil jealous. Now I'm hard pressed to make Jacques Pepin so. And he wears the same clothes on every show.

cycl...@gmail.com

Aug 30, 2016, 9:25:29 AM8/30/16
Looking up some French bikes I'm astounded at some of the variations. It would appear that Mr. Beatie is quite right that compared to some of the other bikes that were on the market Italian bikes could be considered to have a short top tube. I just spotted a French 54 cm with a 57 cm top tube!!! This must be for an orangutan. Riders much have used a 60 cm stem.

Do any of you have absurd body proportions aside from my 6'4" height?

Joerg

Aug 30, 2016, 9:48:35 AM8/30/16
On 2016-08-29 17:33, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, August 29, 2016 at 5:00:58 PM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
>>
>> With my guys you only need to check a few brewpubs :-)
>
> Where can I meet these guys!

El Dorado County. The visitors from Oregon were similar though. "Can you
bring your MTB in the truck?" ... "Sure. Are there any pubs along the
trail?" ... "Yes" ... "Alright!"

[...]

>> No front end wobble at a certain speed? That's what my steel frame
>> does somewhere around 32mph.
>
> None of my Basso's or Eddy Merckx's have had wobbles at any speed
> unless you tense up on the bars. Then the wobble has to do with your
> muscle tension. Neither did the steel Colnagoes.
>
> My old French bikes and the Raleigh did wobble at anything over 28 or
> so.

Mine even does that hands-off. The Merckx frame of a cycling friend did
as well. However, only at one particular speed.

>> That was a pretty good clip there. On my usual 45-50mi rides I
>> can't push much past 12mph average because of the hills. Probably
>> similar to the ones around Pleasanton. I don't have any tools to
>> measure the total feet though, about 1300ft elevation difference
>> with several ups and downs inbetween. The bike weighs around 26lbs
>> (sans water and growler).
>
> The Basso is about that weight with water and heavy seat pack.

It gets hot up here so I often have to carry a gallon of water if there
are hardly any drinking fountains along the route. That's one of the
reasons why I have panniers on my bikes. Also for the growler, of
course. There is even a towing rope in there which did get used once.

>> Or do what I did, resurrect your old road bike from when you were
>> the super-athlete. Or buy one, occasionally people sell them
>> cheaply because they don't know the value of a good steel frame.
>> Mine has a Gazelle frame. Full steampunk, downtube friction
>> shifters and all that.
>
> When I got the concussion in 2009 I kept falling off after that.
> Apparently no one could recognize effects of a seizure. I guess I
> finally got angry that I couldn't ride without falling off and sold
> off all of my bikes and threw away all of my bike clothing - an
> entire double closet full. I had every team Jersey for 30 years in my
> size. I could make even Jacques Anquitil jealous. Now I'm hard
> pressed to make Jacques Pepin so. And he wears the same clothes on
> every show.

I never figured what people find in cycling clothes. My sister has lots
of them. I have none, it's always jeans shorts and T-shirt. Old ones
because they get beat up on MTB rides. Lycra would not stand a chance.
There are MTB pedals even on the road bike so I don't need cycling shoes.

AMuzi

Aug 30, 2016, 10:48:22 AM8/30/16
Those are cute and I ride a pair myself but no functional
difference to any modern Taiwan $9.95 steel QR at any LBS.

cycl...@gmail.com

Aug 30, 2016, 8:25:15 PM8/30/16
I've been bragging about the smooth ride of the Basso. Well as they are talking about in the commercials I've been butt blind.

I was so beat up using carbon fiber bikes that the steel bike felt as smooth as glass.

Well after about 300 miles I am beginning to feel the road again on the steel bike. But when I hit a rut or pothole it doesn't hurt and it doesn't throw me off of my line. I have my confidence back descending through it is getting to be time to replace my Armadilloes.

After using those and Gatorskins I find that the Specialized tires have better traction. And I haven't even gotten close to a flat with them.

Taking a quick 34 mile ride today, I made the mistake of riding a couple of miles along Mission Blvd. Inside of those couple miles I ran through six broken whiskey bottles and the Armadilloes picked up nothing.

Andre Jute

Aug 30, 2016, 9:17:05 PM8/30/16
I would be that guy around here, one of those guys elsewhere. I dunno about carbon fibre, because I've never had a carbon bike for long enough to form an attachment to it and thus an opinion; anyway, I'm not a roadie, so all that weightweenieness of carbon is wasted on me. But I've had several steel and aluminium bikes all of roughly the same configuration, and my current steel bike is very stiff indeed -- and also very comfortable. Whereas, my aluminium bikes, all from most reputable makers, have been exceedingly stiff, and almost as nasty as a steel Peugeot on which I'm convinced the tubes were misproportioned because surely the hard tyres couldn't have done all that damage to my back.

My experience with Schwalbe's Big Apples over nearly a decade is that they are worth a lot of sacrifices -- not that they ask you to make any, you understand, but if I had to, I'd give up quite a bit to keep them. Offoaders requiring serious grip may consider the middle of the road grip of the Big Apples a sacrifice too far, but I can't think of another; for very fast tarmac downhill corners the grip is not just fine, it is exceptional because of the pure amount of rubber on the road hanging on and hanging on, forever; I've never lost my bike for lack of grip, and I know all about finding a roadholding edge, so by now I should have fallen a few times, and I haven't. For the information of those who don't know, the rolling resistance of the Big Apples is less than high pressure thin tyres, in general, proven in particular in tests at the Sports University at Cologne.

There is no doubt in my mind that just about anyone who has the width in his forks, and who is at all interested in riding comfort (which feeds into riding further and faster), should be be on Big Apples or their fat relatives (there are some Schwalbe tyres that are in fact knobbly Big Apples under another name, too).

From all this, and because I'm generally interested in ergonomics and RSI, and because more obvious causes are missing, I've formed the opinion that what matters beyond the compliance of the tyre sidewalls (the effect of the Big Apple is due to an ultrasoft sidewall as much as it is to the huge volume of air) ***is the way your bike's tube material suppresses or dampens micro-vibrations***. Aluminum doesn't, which accounts for the nasty buzz it gives you. Carbon fibre doesn't appear to dampen microvibrations either, and isn't a nice ride either -- though as I say, I have very little carbon experience. Steel, on the other hand, over the same roads, I can ride further and longer without getting a nasty tingle in my hands, a sign that steel helpes to keep microvibrations out of the controls.

I know, I know. This is an argument by exception, basically saying I've run out of explainable things without spending a lot of time and money devising and conducting tests to prove steel kills micro-vibrations, so I pick on the HF roadbuzz because its absence is the most likely beneficial cause of another welcome absence: the tingle in my hands is gone.

I certainly won't ever again buy anything but a steel frame and fork. I've given up the idea of a stainless steel bike because I suspect that stainless won't have the beneficial qualities of the more traditional bicycle steels and might reintroduce the wretched buzz to my hands.

Andre Jute
Manual worker

cycl...@gmail.com

Aug 31, 2016, 9:44:21 AM8/31/16
Andre, you and I are changing the subject over to tires but this is also something we might all look into so I think I'll start a new thread about that.

jbeattie

Aug 31, 2016, 10:32:41 AM8/31/16
Why does this sound suspicious -- a classic short wheelbase Italian steel racing bike that smooths-out pot holes, and tires that can be ridden over six broken whiskey (not vodka) bottles with impunity. O.K. And it's fast, too. Wow, that is one magical Basso. BTW, try to avoid the whiskey bottles -- maybe a route that doesn't go through skid row.

-- Jay Beattie.

cycl...@gmail.com

Aug 31, 2016, 11:07:19 AM8/31/16
Mission Blvd is hardly skid row. It is a main artery from Oakland (where it is now International Blvd), through San Leandro and Hayward (where it retains it's original denomination of E. 14th St.) and then past Jackson St. in Hayward (Highway 94) it obtains it's name of Mission Blvd which goes all the way to Milpitas and San Jose. The homes and businesses on either side of the Mission Blvd section are middle class and in some places more.

jbeattie

Aug 31, 2016, 1:53:24 PM8/31/16
Dude, I was born and raised in California. I got two degrees from SJSU, the Harvard of San Jose -- Mission Boulevard for Mission San Jose. I usually just rode around the reservoirs going north and skipped the arterials. Come down Niles Canyon into Fleamont. All the whisky bottles seem to be another good reason for skipping Mission Boulevard. Back when I lived down there, Mission Boulevard into Oakland was also pretty beaten down, but I guess the whole place is pretty glossy now with all the high-tec money.

-- Jay Beattie.

Andre Jute

Aug 31, 2016, 2:13:55 PM8/31/16
On Wednesday, August 31, 2016 at 2:44:21 PM UTC+1, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
[quotations snipped to save repetition]

> Andre, you and I are changing the subject over to tires but this is also something we might all look into so I think I'll start a new thread about that.

Excellent plan. However, this section from my post above, on the superiority of steel in damping micro-vibrations, belongs here:

From all this, and because I'm generally interested in ergonomics and RSI, and because more obvious causes are missing, I've formed the opinion that what matters [...] ***is the way your bike's tube material suppresses or dampens micro-vibrations***. Aluminum doesn't, which accounts for the nasty buzz it gives you. Carbon fibre doesn't appear to dampen microvibrations either, and isn't a nice ride either -- though as I say, I have very little carbon experience. Steel, on the other hand, over the same roads, I can ride further and longer without getting a nasty tingle in my hands, a sign that steel helpes to keep microvibrations out of the controls.

sms

Aug 31, 2016, 4:16:42 PM8/31/16
On 8/31/2016 10:53 AM, jbeattie wrote:

> Dude, I was born and raised in California. I got two degrees from SJSU, the Harvard of San Jose

And you're a natural comedian.

---

Joerg

Sep 2, 2016, 5:00:48 PM9/2/16
Tech bubble 2.0 is about to burst. Maybe as early as 2017. Then the
number of smashed whiskey bottles will rise again.

cycl...@gmail.com

Sep 4, 2016, 6:52:41 PM9/4/16
On Wednesday, August 31, 2016 at 10:53:24 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:

> Dude, I was born and raised in California. I got two degrees from SJSU, the Harvard of San Jose -- Mission Boulevard for Mission San Jose. I usually just rode around the reservoirs going north and skipped the arterials. Come down Niles Canyon into Fleamont. All the whisky bottles seem to be another good reason for skipping Mission Boulevard. Back when I lived down there, Mission Boulevard into Oakland was also pretty beaten down, but I guess the whole place is pretty glossy now with all the high-tec money.

Jay, I think that we know the source of all of the broken bottles. What has happened to all of the street cleaners that use to run these courses at least once every month? The only place I've see a street cleaner recently was at a construction site.

cycl...@gmail.com

Sep 4, 2016, 6:54:12 PM9/4/16
If I were you I wouldn't be so quick to claim Harvard is anything but a dump. Let's recall that they graduated Obama.

cycl...@gmail.com

Sep 4, 2016, 7:01:50 PM9/4/16
On Friday, September 2, 2016 at 2:00:48 PM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:

> Tech bubble 2.0 is about to burst. Maybe as early as 2017. Then the
> number of smashed whiskey bottles will rise again.

I suspect there wasn't a tech bubble. The jobs I was contacted on were so idiotic that they couldn't have been real. An embedded system designer and programmer (me) that is supposed to be experienced in production assembly and PC board design? That should have experience in high level languages and Unix and offshoots?

One wanted a PhD level PC board designer! There is no such thing.

I have had offers from almost every state but not one real phone call in California except from San Diego. And I'm not about to move at 72.

Sir Ridesalot

Sep 4, 2016, 7:24:06 PM9/4/16
Around here on the day the recycling trucks pick up glass there's often a stream of broken/powdered glass on the aods wherethe trucks are when the glass is dumped in them or where the trucks pull out onto the street. I figurethere must be a few good size holes in the bottoms of the bins where the glass gets dumped and the glass trickles out through those holes.

Cheers

Frank Krygowski

Sep 4, 2016, 9:18:50 PM9/4/16
I've sent a letter to our recycling company about that very problem. No
response, of course; but at least in our neighborhood, I haven't seen
any broken glass from the recycling truck since. Perhaps they took the
trouble to plug whatever was leaking.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Andrew Chaplin

Sep 5, 2016, 11:43:26 AM9/5/16
cycl...@gmail.com wrote in

> Jay, I think that we know the source of all of the broken bottles. What
> has happened to all of the street cleaners that use to run these
> courses at least once every month? The only place I've see a street
> cleaner recently was at a construction site.

If the puchasers have to pay a good deposit on the container, they will get
picked up and returned by rubbies who want more. (I witness this phenomenon
as I ride past the Beer Stores hereabouts before opening time--they form a
queue. Indeed, yesterday, I joined it, but my pigrimage is monthly.
<http://www.thebeerstore.ca/locations/ottawa>)
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

Sir Ridesalot

Sep 5, 2016, 1:09:55 PM9/5/16
It's the recycling trucks that deposit a lot of glass on the roads a lot of the time. That glass comes from a lot of containers besides beer, liquor and wine bottles. Are you going to require a deposit on everything that comes in a glass jar = jams/preserves, many sauces, the list could be nearly endless in some areas.

Cheers

jbeattie

Sep 5, 2016, 1:28:49 PM9/5/16
On Monday, September 5, 2016 at 8:43:26 AM UTC-7, Andrew Chaplin wrote:
> cycl...@gmail.com wrote in
>
> > Jay, I think that we know the source of all of the broken bottles. What
> > has happened to all of the street cleaners that use to run these
> > courses at least once every month? The only place I've see a street
> > cleaner recently was at a construction site.
>
> If the puchasers have to pay a good deposit on the container, they will get
> picked up and returned by rubbies who want more. (I witness this phenomenon
> as I ride past the Beer Stores hereabouts before opening time--they form a
> queue. Indeed, yesterday, I joined it, but my pigrimage is monthly.
> <http://www.thebeerstore.ca/locations/ottawa>)

They should legalize marijuana in California. Nobody throws their bong out a window.

-- Jay Beattie.

Joerg

Sep 6, 2016, 1:26:10 PM9/6/16
On 2016-09-04 16:01, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, September 2, 2016 at 2:00:48 PM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
>>
>> Tech bubble 2.0 is about to burst. Maybe as early as 2017. Then
>> the number of smashed whiskey bottles will rise again.
>
> I suspect there wasn't a tech bubble.

Mark my words :-)

> ... The jobs I was contacted on
> were so idiotic that they couldn't have been real. An embedded system
> designer and programmer (me) that is supposed to be experienced in
> production assembly and PC board design? That should have experience
> in high level languages and Unix and offshoots?
>
> One wanted a PhD level PC board designer! There is no such thing.

The bubble jobs are nearly all programmer jobs. Where some company got
millions from naive VCs to come up with the n+1_th social media platform
where you can type in a whopping 140 characters. Only a matter of time
until that goes phut.

You and I are more in demand at places where "real metal" happens. I am
self-employed and IME those sort of assignments have to a large extent
moved out of CA. I even had to change my daily routine because of that,
getting into the office around 7am so I can better accommodate clients
in Texas and farther east. Which has it's advantages like being able to
take a "Texan afternoon" off for a ride which gets me on the road by
11:30am. Meaning more miles.

> I have had offers from almost every state but not one real phone call
> in California except from San Diego. And I'm not about to move at
> 72.

If I had my druthers I'd still move at that age but it would have to be
a region with pristine MTB turf. Such as Utah.

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Sep 6, 2016, 4:00:05 PM9/6/16
Ivan Basso the Junkie ?

Basso was framed ?

Where does Basso elevate to a named frame ?

Italians are infamous as North Africans for long arms n short legs ...drive an Alfa ? Opposite of a Morgan ...

Idea of a sweet spot is truly arcane giving the supporting mechanism of narrow wires n inflated rubber sack. Just total babblish.

Yeti, if you sit n draw up sinusoidal pressure charts for all the inputs n outputs....the truth of the Vatican as a UFO rest stop gains cred.

Ferasure is this not possible le joinong these factors in a concert yielding max performance ?

Pass the Basso por favor ....

AMuzi

Sep 6, 2016, 4:36:40 PM9/6/16
Gene, it's Marino Basso, 1972 World Champion.

Cicli Basso in Vicenza was Marino with his brothers Alcide
and Renato (which is why their logo is a 3 and a B together)

ab.ch...@rogers.com

Sep 6, 2016, 4:44:15 PM9/6/16
On Monday, September 5, 2016 at 1:09:55 PM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
> On Monday, September 5, 2016 at 11:43:26 AM UTC-4, Andrew Chaplin wrote:
> >
> > If the puchasers have to pay a good deposit on the container, they will get
> > picked up and returned by rubbies who want more. (I witness this phenomenon
> > as I ride past the Beer Stores hereabouts before opening time--they form a
> > queue. Indeed, yesterday, I joined it, but my pigrimage is monthly.
> > <http://www.thebeerstore.ca/locations/ottawa>)
>
> It's the recycling trucks that deposit a lot of glass on the roads a lot of
> the time. That glass comes from a lot of containers besides beer, liquor and
> wine bottles. Are you going to require a deposit on everything that comes in
> a glass jar = jams/preserves, many sauces, the list could be nearly endless
> in some areas.

That's an idea.

The recycling trucks around here are not producing trails of broken glass, so
I wonder why those in California are. Most of the debris that I encounter that
might puncture a tire is remainders of accidents at intersections.

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Sep 6, 2016, 6:35:09 PM9/6/16
aha ! Marino Basso.

Ivan is a Russian ?

Radey Shouman

Sep 6, 2016, 8:32:58 PM9/6/16
Plainly a matter of priorities. Last time I was involved in an auto
crash we called the cops. The one who responded couldn't be arsed to
write a report or even ask what happened, but he did whip out a broom
and tidy up the intersection.

Joerg

Sep 9, 2016, 6:50:12 PM9/9/16
On 2016-09-05 08:43, Andrew Chaplin wrote:
> cycl...@gmail.com wrote in
>
>> Jay, I think that we know the source of all of the broken bottles. What
>> has happened to all of the street cleaners that use to run these
>> courses at least once every month? The only place I've see a street
>> cleaner recently was at a construction site.
>
> If the puchasers have to pay a good deposit on the container, they will get
> picked up and returned by rubbies who want more. (I witness this phenomenon
> as I ride past the Beer Stores hereabouts before opening time--they form a
> queue. Indeed, yesterday, I joined it, but my pigrimage is monthly.
> <http://www.thebeerstore.ca/locations/ottawa>)

No more taxes. My solution is simple:

http://www.stanley-pmi.com/store/stanley/en_US/pd/productID.333520800

It rides along on almost every bike ride. Even if I crash there won't be
any glass and chances are that the beer inside is still good. Yesterday
I was here and carried it back on bumpy singletrack:

http://www.eldobrew.com/beers/

The fuel costs on my bikes are higher than with my car :-)

jbeattie

Sep 9, 2016, 8:15:08 PM9/9/16
Pick one: http://www.portlandbeer.org/breweries And since when is a bottle deposit a tax? You get the money back. I wish my taxes worked that way.

-- Jay Beattie.

Joerg

Sep 10, 2016, 2:09:25 PM9/10/16
> Pick one: http://www.portlandbeer.org/breweries ...

Nice. I've got six brewpubs along my usual bike routes, plus another 2-3
with a slight detour. But now I also have my own brew. The IPA comes out
of carbonation on Wednesday and another Pale Ale went into the fermenter
on Thursday.

> ... And since when is a bottle deposit a tax? You get the money back.

In California since almost forever. They weigh the stuff unless you have
a small quantity. When you count the money versus the "refund value" you
quickly discover that you get back less than paid in CRV. To the point
where we don't do it anymore and recycle via the recycling bin where you
get zero back. Some of it is, therefore, a tax.