quiet bucolic bike path in Chicago

AMuzi

Jul 24, 2017, 9:37:52 AM7/24/17
What could go wrong?

http://chicagoist.com/2016/03/07/robbers_have_been_mugging_people_on.php
--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

David Scheidt

Jul 24, 2017, 9:39:16 AM7/24/17
AMuzi <a...@yellowjersey.org> wrote:
:What could go wrong?

:http://chicagoist.com/2016/03/07/robbers_have_been_mugging_people_on.php

Check the date, dude.

--
sig 4

AMuzi

Jul 24, 2017, 10:49:52 AM7/24/17

cycl...@gmail.com

Jul 24, 2017, 11:53:18 AM7/24/17
On Monday, July 24, 2017 at 7:49:52 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
> On 7/24/2017 8:39 AM, David Scheidt wrote:
> > AMuzi <a...@yellowjersey.org> wrote:
> > :What could go wrong?
> >
> > :http://chicagoist.com/2016/03/07/robbers_have_been_mugging_people_on.php
> >
> > Check the date, dude.
> >

> Thanks, I apologize. I saw it on the radio and looked for a
> web link.
> Here's today's:
>
> http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/07/23/bicyclists-knocked-over-robbed-on-606-trail-police/http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/07/23/bicyclists-knocked-over-robbed-on-606-trail-police/

If you fight back you're racist according to liberals.

Tim McNamara

Jul 24, 2017, 9:36:06 PM7/24/17
On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 08:37:48 -0500, AMuzi <a...@yellowjersey.org> wrote:
> What could go wrong?
>
> http://chicagoist.com/2016/03/07/robbers_have_been_mugging_people_on.php

Yeah, we've had sporadic outbreaks of that in the Twin Cities as well.
It almost always happens after dark (note the times mentioned in the
article). I'm not sure riding anywhere in Chicago that time of night
would be much safer, or for that matter here. The ne'er-do-wells are
bolder under cover of darkness.

David Scheidt

Jul 24, 2017, 11:28:08 PM7/24/17
Tim McNamara <tim...@bitstream.net> wrote:
The problem with the 606 is that it's a raised rail embankment. There
are places for ne-er-do-wells to lie in wait, and not much you can do
to avoid them. On the streeet, there are places to lie in wait, but
much better avoidance routes.

--
There's nothing sadder than an ontologist without an ontogenesis.
-- some guy with a beard

jbeattie

Jul 25, 2017, 8:19:36 AM7/25/17
On Monday, July 24, 2017 at 8:28:08 PM UTC-7, David Scheidt wrote:
> Tim McNamara <tim...@bitstream.net> wrote:
> :On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 08:37:48 -0500, AMuzi <a...@yellowjersey.org> wrote:
> :> What could go wrong?
> :>
> :> http://chicagoist.com/2016/03/07/robbers_have_been_mugging_people_on.php
>
> :Yeah, we've had sporadic outbreaks of that in the Twin Cities as well.
> :It almost always happens after dark (note the times mentioned in the
> :article). I'm not sure riding anywhere in Chicago that time of night
> :would be much safer, or for that matter here. The ne'er-do-wells are
> :bolder under cover of darkness.
>
> The problem with the 606 is that it's a raised rail embankment. There
> are places for ne-er-do-wells to lie in wait, and not much you can do
> to avoid them. On the streeet, there are places to lie in wait, but
> much better avoidance routes.

I was riding the I-205 bike path over the weekend and had to thread my way through the ne-er-do-wells during daylight. It was like day-time night of the living dead. One guy was down on his knees, butt in the trail, staring intently at a still life shrine of a plastic spoon, cup and other trail jetsom. I was waiting for him to light an incense stick. The tents and shopping cart make it hard to get through some sections. The MUPs have turned into favorite camping spots for the homeless.

-- Jay Beattie.

Frank Krygowski

Jul 25, 2017, 9:49:14 AM7/25/17
That's sad. AFAIK we haven't had that around here, but I don't frequent
bike trails. The only local bike trail assault I heard of was in a
different town, and was a kid-on-kid thing. It was vicious, but kids
can be vicious.

The other places that have suffered a regrettable invasion are our
public libraries. The invasion isn't massive, but especially in winter
there are some seriously weird characters camped out all day long,
sleeping in chairs, talking far too loudly, etc. They're obviously not
there to learn anything, but I don't know what can be done.

I'm sure their presence dissuades others. Most regrettably, I suspect
that parents who see homeless characters in the library become much less
likely to permit their kids to go there alone. And I _strongly_ believe
in kids going to libraries.

--
- Frank Krygowski