Threaded headset information

cycl...@gmail.com

Sep 12, 2016, 6:48:13 PM9/12/16
The older Campy headsets are almost a CM shorter than the older one's. So if you are installing a Record headset on your older bike then be sure and obtain some spacers as well to be able to tighten the headset without having to cut down the steering tube.

The Italian bikes have Italian threading which is different than JIS. The tool for cleaning threads is quite expensive these days so most shops do not carry them. This means that either your threads are clean or you have to find a shop that has been in business long enough to have an Italian 24.6 mm x 24 die.

What you might think about is rather than buying older steel bikes, you buy the newer ones that use threadless stems just the same as the carbon and aluminum bikes. Of course you CAN buy a threadless steel fork and install it on your older Gios, DeRosa or Eddy Merckx that rides just too good to leave.

Here is a list of American manufacturers who can build you a new bike. Or just a fork.

http://cyclophiliac.com/american-custom-handmade-road-bike-frame-builders/

Waterford is generally accepted as the BEST American bike but since you have to be precisely sure what sort of bike you want you have to be able to describe it in bike builder's terms. A street bike could be all sorts of designs while a gran tour bike is something very specific.

There are several Italian steel bike manufactures but the best I've seen is Tomassini who will custom build a steel bike to your specifications for half the cost of a high end carbon bike with a limited lifespan.

I just did 47 miles yesterday and averaged 14.75 mph on my steel bike. Not too shabby for a 72 year old into a 15 mph headwind half the way.

Andrew Chaplin

Sep 12, 2016, 7:23:27 PM9/12/16
cycl...@gmail.com wrote in news:5911faa2-84f8-4b8d-8f36-
2f4a03...@googlegroups.com:

> The older Campy headsets are almost a CM shorter than the older one's.

Eh?

Should that be "The older Campy headsets are almost a CM shorter than the
newer ones."?
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

David Scheidt

Sep 12, 2016, 7:50:49 PM9/12/16
Andrew Chaplin <ab.ch...@yourfinger.rogers.com> wrote:
:cycl...@gmail.com wrote in news:5911faa2-84f8-4b8d-8f36-
:2f4a03...@googlegroups.com:

:> The older Campy headsets are almost a CM shorter than the older one's.

:Eh?

Time diliation.

--
sig 60

jbeattie

Sep 13, 2016, 12:16:05 AM9/13/16
On Monday, September 12, 2016 at 3:48:13 PM UTC-7, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> The older Campy headsets are almost a CM shorter than the older one's. So if you are installing a Record headset on your older bike then be sure and obtain some spacers as well to be able to tighten the headset without having to cut down the steering tube.
>
> The Italian bikes have Italian threading which is different than JIS. The tool for cleaning threads is quite expensive these days so most shops do not carry them. This means that either your threads are clean or you have to find a shop that has been in business long enough to have an Italian 24.6 mm x 24 die.
>
> What you might think about is rather than buying older steel bikes, you buy the newer ones that use threadless stems just the same as the carbon and aluminum bikes. Of course you CAN buy a threadless steel fork and install it on your older Gios, DeRosa or Eddy Merckx that rides just too good to leave.
>
> Here is a list of American manufacturers who can build you a new bike. Or just a fork.
>
> http://cyclophiliac.com/american-custom-handmade-road-bike-frame-builders/
>
> Waterford is generally accepted as the BEST Hbike but since you have to be precisely sure what sort of bike you want you have to be able to describe it in bike builder's terms. A street bike could be all sorts of designs while a gran tour bike is something very specific.
>
> There are several Italian steel bike manufactures but the best I've seen is Tomassini who will custom build a steel bike to your specifications for half the cost of a high end carbon bike with a limited lifespan.
>
> I just did 47 miles yesterday and averaged 14.75 mph on my steel bike. Not too shabby for a 72 year old into a 15 mph headwind half the way.

Not too shabby at all. I would disagree, however, that Waterford is the pinnacle of US bike building. Here in the Peoples Democratic Republic of Portland, it's beer, coffee and bike frames. Go wood. https://renovobikes.com/ My favorite steel frame: http://www.thevanillaworkshop.com/vanilla-road/ Basically unobtainable -- a five year or more waiting list. Breadwinner makes a good frame, too. Ira and Tony are nice guys. http://breadwinnercycles.com/ They use a CF fork, though you can get steel, too: http://breadwinnercycles.com/product/continental/#frame

There are lots of good steel builders. I ran into Gunnar Caylor at the bike and beer festival over at the Hub a few years ago and had a great time talking about the old days. He was a NorCal god and built frames for Cupertino Bikes. http://www.caylorcyclesretooled.com/

I would buy either a 70s Masi Gran Criterium or a rare Mike Appel frame. http://www.classicrendezvous.com/USA/Appel.htm Or if I were going modern, a Breadwinner. Vanillas are beautiful, but I'm not going to wait five years.

What I would really do is take the frame building class at United Bicycle Institute. Make my own. I've cut tubes and done frame prep (grunt filing and sanding) and brazed up broken frames, but I've never built a whole frame, which would be a hoot.

-- Jay Beattie.

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Sep 13, 2016, 6:59:59 AM9/13/16
https://www.chrisking.com/support/instructions/

Hmmm probably a quickee Alfa headbolt kit ...

AMuzi

Sep 13, 2016, 8:46:00 AM9/13/16
On 9/12/2016 6:23 PM, Andrew Chaplin wrote:
> cycl...@gmail.com wrote in news:5911faa2-84f8-4b8d-8f36-
> 2f4a03...@googlegroups.com:
>
>> The older Campy headsets are almost a CM shorter than the older one's.
>
> Eh?
>
> Should that be "The older Campy headsets are almost a CM shorter than the
> newer ones."?

Or one might say the Record 1039 is 39mm, SR 4041 42mm and
the later Record with 3/16" balls on the bottom and small
ones up top are 36mm stack.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>