Study in to EU cyclist safety.

James

May 9, 2016, 11:58:38 PM5/9/16
What I find most refreshing is the absence of helmet agenda, and
interesting that pedestrians appear to have a *higher* incidence of head
injury than cyclists in the EU.

I don't know what the helmet wearing rate is like across the EU, but it
may be safe to say that cyclists are not at significantly higher risk of
a head injury than pedestrians or any other road user group. In other
words, to target cyclists for mandatory helmet laws seems like class
discrimination.

http://nrso.ntua.gr/geyannis/images/stories/ge/Publications/Papers-Conferences/geyannis-pc235.pdf

--
JS

avag...@gmail.com

May 10, 2016, 7:17:27 AM5/10/16
The Euros are slipping on ice...check the longitude, Weatherunderground almanacs...supply of cleat over boot wear.

Frank Krygowski

May 10, 2016, 11:43:57 AM5/10/16
While I don't have time now to read that report, this is no surprise to
me. For example, the Phillips Report: National Report on Traumatic
Brain Injury in the Republic of Ireland, 2008 (by the Traumatic Brain
Injury Research Group) makes it clear that cycling is a minor
contributor to serious TBI.

Not that the report comes out and says so; that would be a violation of
some unwritten "must make cycling sound dangerous" rule in the TBI
community. But table 6.1 shows that road users are just 22% of the TBI
problem, and table 6.8 shows cyclists were jst 68 out of 463 road user
cases, or 15% of that 22%. That makes cyclists about 3% of the problem.
Plus, table 6.9 makes clear that cyclists' TBI, when it occurs, tends
to be mild (76% of the time), whereas for motorists and pedestrians,
it's mild only half the time (51% and 46% respectively) and
motorcyclists, mild only 23% of the time. Otherwise, TBI are moderate
or severe.

In the U.S., the TBI fatality count for pedestrians is far, far higher
than for cyclists, and contrary to myth, the two groups have roughly the
same percentage of fatalities due to TBI. And John Pucher of Rutgers
has concluded (from studying available data) that the per-km risk of
fatality is over three times as high for pedestrians as for cyclists.

And should anyone suspect bias, Pucher is very much a "Danger! Danger!"
guy. He fantasizes about turning America into Amsterdam. He does NOT,
however, favor mandatory helmets!

Some details on the above are available at
http://ohiobike.org/images/pdfs/CyclingIsSafeTLK.pdf

--
- Frank Krygowski

avag...@gmail.com

May 10, 2016, 11:52:52 AM5/10/16

sms

May 10, 2016, 12:29:46 PM5/10/16
On 5/9/2016 8:58 PM, James wrote:
> What I find most refreshing is the absence of helmet agenda, and
> interesting that pedestrians appear to have a *higher* incidence of head
> injury than cyclists in the EU.
>
> I don't know what the helmet wearing rate is like across the EU, but it
> may be safe to say that cyclists are not at significantly higher risk of
> a head injury than pedestrians or any other road user group. In other
> words, to target cyclists for mandatory helmet laws seems like class
> discrimination.

Not safe to say that at all. The reason pedestrians have a higher
incidence of head injuries than cyclists could be because of the lack of
helmets for pedestrians. Or it could be the number of each type of road
user since the study doesn't appear to correct for the relative numbers
of each or the time each spends on the road. That study is rather
worthless for trying to say whether it's safer to cycle or walk.

Andre Jute

May 10, 2016, 1:15:54 PM5/10/16
On Tuesday, May 10, 2016 at 4:43:57 PM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski wrote:

> me. For example, the Phillips Report: National Report on Traumatic
> Brain Injury in the Republic of Ireland, 2008 (by the Traumatic Brain
> Injury Research Group) makes it clear that cycling is a minor
> contributor to serious TBI.
>
> Not that the report comes out and says so; that would be a violation of
> some unwritten "must make cycling sound dangerous" rule in the TBI
> community. But table 6.1 shows that road users are just 22% of the TBI
> problem,

> - Frank Krygowski

You really are, statistically speaking, an eejit, as we say here in Ireland because we're too polite to call even you, Frank Krygowski, a moron.

Yo, dickhead, listen up. In ireland the cyclists amount to a tiny, tiny fraction of the population. In my environment I know all of them by name, That cyclists make up 22% of Traumatic Brain Injuries is therefore a horribly disproportionate number.

In fact, last year or the year before I was standing with a surgeon at a window in University Hospital in Cork, looking out on a busy 8-lane junction between the hospital gates and a shopping mall, and, knowing that I'm a cyclist, when he saw a cyclist, he quipped, "Here comes an organ donor."

I really wish, Franki-boy, that you would stop putting yourself forward as Ohio's resident expert on Ireland and all things Irish. You're not. You don't know shit. You're Ohio's Polack Ass on every subject under the sun.

Sincerely,

Andre Jute
Lord, save me from the idiotic opinions of jumped-up welders

Andre Jute

May 10, 2016, 1:21:34 PM5/10/16
On Tuesday, May 10, 2016 at 4:58:38 AM UTC+1, James wrote:

> http://nrso.ntua.gr/geyannis/images/stories/ge/Publications/Papers-Conferences/geyannis-pc235.pdf
>
> --
> JS

First thing, huge respect to these researchers for making sense of really disparate data: "The number of bicycles per thousand inhabitants ranges from 52 in the Czech Republic to 1.000 in the Netherlands. What differs though considerably from one country to another is the way in which the bicycle is used. Some cyclists use it every day, as a means of transport, while others do so only occasionally (ECMT, 2000) and additionally, significant differences are noted in the driving behavior and culture of the other road users (cyclists are still often overlooked), as well as in the cycling infrastructure among the countries."

Andre Jute
Statistics is the art of the possible

John B.

May 10, 2016, 9:13:50 PM5/10/16
Not to question Pucher's findings, but is a rate per kilometer
traveled an accurate method of comparing an activity where speeds are,
say 30 Km./Hr. versus an activity where travel is, Oh say 5 Km. W/Hr.
Wouldn't a more accurate comparison be the length of time an activity
is engaged in?
--
cheers,

John B.

Frank Krygowski

May 11, 2016, 12:21:08 AM5/11/16
As mentioned before, there are many ways of comparing these things.
Which way is most appropriate may depend on one's objectives - and I'm
talking about legitimate objectives, not (say) the objective of selling
or mandating a questionable retail product.

Briefly, if one is comparing the safety of various means of getting from
one place to another, then "per km" data may be most reasonable -
assuming, of course, that the geography is appropriate. There's no
point in comparing, say, the safety of intercontinental flights with
that of driving to the grocery store; they don't compete. Similarly,
driving vs. cycling comparisons should exclude most freeway miles for
cars. But I think walking and cycling are pretty comparable. (And BTW,
if we adopt the strategy of some "Danger! Danger!" freaks and say only
the very safest method is acceptable, then all car drivers should be
made to switch to buses and trains.)

Fatalities per hour is an alternative. That's more useful for general
comparison of widely different activities, like swimming vs. cleaning
gutters vs. gardening vs. riding motorcycles vs. rock climbing vs.
bicycling. It works well for comparing many leisure activities, since
people probably tend to budget a relatively constant amount of time to
those activities.

Total fatality or injury counts are perhaps best for evaluating "cost to
society" or something similar. And proponents of bike helmets are very
big on claiming that huge portions of our county's budget get sunk into
caring for brain damaged cyclists. That's nonsense, of course, as shown
by any dispassionate examination of actual causes of serious TBI.

And BTW, examining only negative consequences (fatalities, TBI counts,
ER visits, etc.) still gives an incomplete picture. Obviously, in the
U.S. we permit motoring despite over 30,000 motorist deaths per year
because we judge the benefits of motoring are even greater. In a
similar way, the hand-wringers should acknowledge that every study on
the issue has judged that the medical and societal benefits of cycing
_far_ outweigh its tiny risks.

--
- Frank Krygowski

John B.

May 11, 2016, 2:09:36 PM5/11/16
On Wed, 11 May 2016 00:21:04 -0400, Frank Krygowski
I'm still not sure that comparing an activity that takes place at
approximately 30 KPH with one that takes place at, say 5 KPH is valid.
If you come off the bike at 30 KPHG you hit the ground at a velocity
sufficient to break bones while falling while walking is more akin to
dropping a watermelon.

But regarding danger, danger, I grew up in New England and the house
I lived in was painted with white lead paint as well as the house my
grand parents lived in, and the Methodist Church, and most of the
other wooden buildings in town and lead paint was commonly used as I
know back to the 1700's if not earlier.

Now I'm assured by (primarily) Usians that lead paint is absolute
poison and you shouldn't get near it,

I'm also told that mercury is a poison and if you drop a thermometer
you better run. Yet a Doctor advised me that liquid mercury is not
dangerous to the human body.

And on and on and on. What ever happened to the brave, stalwart
pioneer, braving wild animals and wilder people to settle the country?

Regarding lead :-) While in High School I worked a summer for the
Vermont Forest Service and one of the jobs we did was re-roofing the
barn at the Calvin Coolidge homestead. The old house was in pretty bad
shape but we camped out there and I discovered that the water system
was a pipeline from a spring up the hill a ways and at least in the
summer the Coolidge family had running water. Through a lead pipe.

Can you imagine, Calvin Coolidge grew up drinking water from a lead
pipe and look how he turned out :-)

>Fatalities per hour is an alternative. That's more useful for general
>comparison of widely different activities, like swimming vs. cleaning
>gutters vs. gardening vs. riding motorcycles vs. rock climbing vs.
>bicycling. It works well for comparing many leisure activities, since
>people probably tend to budget a relatively constant amount of time to
>those activities.
>
>Total fatality or injury counts are perhaps best for evaluating "cost to
>society" or something similar. And proponents of bike helmets are very
>big on claiming that huge portions of our county's budget get sunk into
>caring for brain damaged cyclists. That's nonsense, of course, as shown
>by any dispassionate examination of actual causes of serious TBI.
>
>And BTW, examining only negative consequences (fatalities, TBI counts,
>ER visits, etc.) still gives an incomplete picture. Obviously, in the
>U.S. we permit motoring despite over 30,000 motorist deaths per year
>because we judge the benefits of motoring are even greater. In a
>similar way, the hand-wringers should acknowledge that every study on
>the issue has judged that the medical and societal benefits of cycing
>_far_ outweigh its tiny risks.

Ah, but when an automobile hits something it is described as "an
accident".
--
cheers,

John B.

Frank Krygowski

May 11, 2016, 3:19:00 PM5/11/16
On 5/11/2016 1:38 PM, Phil W Lee wrote:
> sms <scharf...@geemail.com> considered Tue, 10 May 2016 09:29:41
> It does undermine the segregation argument rather badly though, as
> pedestrians are FAR more segregated from motor traffic than cyclists
> are, almost everywhere - but still manage to have higher TBI rates!

And by far, most pedestrians seriously injured or killed in traffic are
in crosswalks at the time. They're using an official segregated facility.

Typically, the motorist doing the damage is not paying attention to the
fact that he's crossing the path of another legitimate road user.

And this is what worries me about the misnamed "protected" bike lanes.
They're absolutely _not_ protected at intersections, driveways, parking
lots, etc. In fact, some frequently touted schemes (bikeway behind
parked cars, dual-direction bikeway on one side of the street) would
seem to make it much harder for a motorist to watch for cyclists. And
of course, cyclists are apt to be much less cautious, because they've
been told they're "protected." :-/

BTW, it's interesting to me that there are facilities praised to the
heavens by American bike segregation advocates, but excoriated by
European bike segregation advocates. Mikael Colville-Andersen (who
wants to turn the entire world into Copenhagen) thinks Washington DC's
two-way, road center "protected" bike lanes are absolutely nuts. He
also asks why Americans are putting in two-direction bike facilities at
one side of the road. He claims Europeans long ago learned those things
are crazy.

On those points, I agree with him. But in America, lots of people think
"Any bike facility is a good bike facility."

--
- Frank Krygowski

Frank Krygowski

May 11, 2016, 3:39:47 PM5/11/16
On 5/11/2016 7:46 AM, John B. wrote:
> On Wed, 11 May 2016 00:21:04 -0400, Frank Krygowski wrote:
>>

>> Briefly, if one is comparing the safety of various means of getting from
>> one place to another, then "per km" data may be most reasonable -
>> assuming, of course, that the geography is appropriate. There's no
>> point in comparing, say, the safety of intercontinental flights with
>> that of driving to the grocery store; they don't compete. Similarly,
>> driving vs. cycling comparisons should exclude most freeway miles for
>> cars. But I think walking and cycling are pretty comparable. (And BTW,
>> if we adopt the strategy of some "Danger! Danger!" freaks and say only
>> the very safest method is acceptable, then all car drivers should be
>> made to switch to buses and trains.)
>
> I'm still not sure that comparing an activity that takes place at
> approximately 30 KPH with one that takes place at, say 5 KPH is valid.
> If you come off the bike at 30 KPHG you hit the ground at a velocity
> sufficient to break bones while falling while walking is more akin to
> dropping a watermelon.

Yep, that's the kind of thinking most people do. It's a combination of
the "worst case scenario game" and creative visualization.

Another variation is to focus on one aspect - balancing on two wheels -
and assume that it's the factor that swamps all other considerations.
In other words, bicycling _must_ be as dangerous as motorcycling,
because you balance both machines.

How do we tell if these imaginings and visualizations are correct?
Well, people trained in science typically go looking for data. And at
least some serious data shows motorcycling is well over 30 times as
dangerous as bicycling, per hour; and pedestrian travel in America is
over three times as dangerous as bicycling, per km traveled.

What's the proper response when data belies imaginings and
visualizations? ISTM the first move should be to revise one's
imagination. After that, one could choose to go further and search for
the reasons for the error.

Regarding bikes vs. peds, I think one error you're making is in speed
estimates. I think few cyclists spend a significant percentage of their
time at 30 kph. And I think that when they do, most are on high alert.

Another is assuming that walkers' serious injuries are usually caused by
simple falls. I've known some that have had that happen, but I think
it's far more common for walkers to be seriously injured by impact with
a car, and in that case, the speed of the car matters much more than the
speed of the walker.

I'll also note that the force of impact with the ground is relatively
unaffected by forward speed. The component of ground-body force caused
by bike speed certainly contributes to abrasion (i.e. road rash) but
probably much less to broken bones.

Most important, I think most people don't really fall all that often
while riding bikes. Yesterday I had my utility (= old "sport touring")
bike on some back trails in our little forest preserve, checking on some
volunteer work I'd arranged. These are single track trails, and the one
I was on had lots of tricky tree roots crossing it. At one point, my
smooth road tires slid on a tree root. I simply slid my foot out of the
toe clip and caught myself. Had I not, I supposed I'd have had to dust
myself off, or perhaps scrape off some mud. But toppling off a bike is
usually not a big deal.

--
- Frank Krygowski

John B.

May 11, 2016, 8:05:59 PM5/11/16
rOn Wed, 11 May 2016 15:39:42 -0400, Frank Krygowski
<frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>On 5/11/2016 7:46 AM, John B. wrote:
>> On Wed, 11 May 2016 00:21:04 -0400, Frank Krygowski wrote:
>>>

>>> Briefly, if one is comparing the safety of various means of getting from
>>> one place to another, then "per km" data may be most reasonable -
>>> assuming, of course, that the geography is appropriate. There's no
>>> point in comparing, say, the safety of intercontinental flights with
>>> that of driving to the grocery store; they don't compete. Similarly,
>>> driving vs. cycling comparisons should exclude most freeway miles for
>>> cars. But I think walking and cycling are pretty comparable. (And BTW,
>>> if we adopt the strategy of some "Danger! Danger!" freaks and say only
>>> the very safest method is acceptable, then all car drivers should be
>>> made to switch to buses and trains.)
>>
>> I'm still not sure that comparing an activity that takes place at
>> approximately 30 KPH with one that takes place at, say 5 KPH is valid.
>> If you come off the bike at 30 KPHG you hit the ground at a velocity
>> sufficient to break bones while falling while walking is more akin to
>> dropping a watermelon.
>
>Yep, that's the kind of thinking most people do. It's a combination of
>the "worst case scenario game" and creative visualization.

But, if you fall over while stationary the chances of being injured is
very small while if you fall while going 30 KPM you are far more
likely to be hurt. And of course it is "worst case" scenario, after
all if all one falls over while stationary one might be a bit
embarrassed - both feet locked to the pedals, trying to get up. My
guess is that all reported accidents are "worst case scenario" as
people generally do not consider an event where one is only
embarrassed as an "accident".

>Another variation is to focus on one aspect - balancing on two wheels -
>and assume that it's the factor that swamps all other considerations.
>In other words, bicycling _must_ be as dangerous as motorcycling,
>because you balance both machines.

I'm not sure about that. After all, one has to "balance" while
standing up. Watch a small baby learn to walk. They pull themselves
erect and then fall over with the first step.

>How do we tell if these imaginings and visualizations are correct?
>Well, people trained in science typically go looking for data. And at
>least some serious data shows motorcycling is well over 30 times as
>dangerous as bicycling, per hour; and pedestrian travel in America is
>over three times as dangerous as bicycling, per km traveled.

Of course they are more dangerous. They go faster :-)

>What's the proper response when data belies imaginings and
>visualizations? ISTM the first move should be to revise one's
>imagination. After that, one could choose to go further and search for
>the reasons for the error.

This gets back to the basic reason, "what are we trying to prove",
which is a failing of most statistical calculations.

Here we are discussing speed of travel but the CHP study of the
bicycle accidents in L.A. country found that a majority of the
bicycle/motor vehicle collisions occurred while the bicycle was
traveling the wrong way in the lane. Speed didn't enter into the
statistic at all (although it may have been a factor in one of the
parties avoiding the other).

>Regarding bikes vs. peds, I think one error you're making is in speed
>estimates. I think few cyclists spend a significant percentage of their
>time at 30 kph. And I think that when they do, most are on high alert.

My average speed in Bangkok for my Sunday Rides (time versus total
distance) is about 20 KPH, which factors in everything, stop lights,
traffic density, etc.

>Another is assuming that walkers' serious injuries are usually caused by
>simple falls. I've known some that have had that happen, but I think
>it's far more common for walkers to be seriously injured by impact with
>a car, and in that case, the speed of the car matters much more than the
>speed of the walker.
>
>I'll also note that the force of impact with the ground is relatively
>unaffected by forward speed. The component of ground-body force caused
>by bike speed certainly contributes to abrasion (i.e. road rash) but
>probably much less to broken bones.

I'm not sure that I can agree with that. I see what you are saying but
I'm not sure that you are correct and I suspect that if you try to
demonstrate it, by, for example dropping an orange out of a car window
at various speeds, from stationary to say 100 MPH, you will find that
damage is related to speed.

>Most important, I think most people don't really fall all that often
>while riding bikes. Yesterday I had my utility (= old "sport touring")
>bike on some back trails in our little forest preserve, checking on some
>volunteer work I'd arranged. These are single track trails, and the one
>I was on had lots of tricky tree roots crossing it. At one point, my
>smooth road tires slid on a tree root. I simply slid my foot out of the
>toe clip and caught myself. Had I not, I supposed I'd have had to dust
>myself off, or perhaps scrape off some mud. But toppling off a bike is
>usually not a big deal.

When I first tried toe clips and straps I certainly did fall :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Frank Krygowski

May 11, 2016, 9:19:40 PM5/11/16
Well, lots of hypothesizing and guessing. Your problem, as I see it, is
Pucher's estimate that American cycling is three times as safe as
American pedestrian travel, in fatalities per km.

Actually, it's not just Pucher. This sort of comparison has been made
many times in many countries. I have some of the results on file. As I
recall, the only westernized country that found cycling more dangerous
than walking was Britain, for one year perhaps five years ago. (Someone
here pointed that out, IIRC.) But things were soon back to normal - that
is, back to cycling being safer.

Granted, Pucher's factor of three in favor of cycling is unusually high.
But the U.S. is unusual in many ways, I suppose.

--
- Frank Krygowski

James

May 12, 2016, 1:43:49 AM5/12/16
On 12/05/16 10:05, John B. wrote:

> But, if you fall over while stationary the chances of being injured is
> very small while if you fall while going 30 KPM you are far more
> likely to be hurt.

That very much depends.

If you fall from standing position like a plank, as have a few young
folks here when king hit by a drunken fool, there is a very real risk of
a fatal head wound.

OTOH, I've slid off the bike in a race on a wet road going through a
corner, and suffered no more than a very light graze on my ankle and hip.

I have crashed at higher speed in races, and suffered no more than a
jarred wrist.

What greatly increases risk of serious injury is particularly how you
fall, and what solid objects you collide with before you stop.

--
JS

Graham

May 12, 2016, 6:17:26 AM5/12/16

"Frank Krygowski" <frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:nh0lgl$tnd$1...@dont-email.me...
> On 5/11/2016 8:05 PM, John B. wrote:
>> rOn Wed, 11 May 2016 15:39:42 -0400, Frank Krygowski
>> <frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

[snip]

> Actually, it's not just Pucher. This sort of comparison has been made
> many times in many countries. I have some of the results on file. As I
> recall, the only westernized country that found cycling more dangerous
> than walking was Britain, for one year perhaps five years ago. (Someone
> here pointed that out, IIRC.) But things were soon back to normal - that
> is, back to cycling being safer.

I have provided those statistics here in the past purely for information as there is this constant argument over statistics. Here are the latest UK statistics up to and including 2014:

Reference: https://www.gov.uk/government/statistical-data-sets/tsgb01-modal-comparisons Table TSGB0107 (RAS53001). They are expressed on a per billion kms basis.

Unfortunately the UK data do not support the "back to normal" statement above.

They do show a welcome very slowly falling long term trend for both cyclists and pedestrians with regard to the numbers killed. Within the bounds of statistical significance I think we can say that the same number of cyclists and pedestrians are killed in the UK in most years.

The trends that are emerging are that the number of cyclists being seriously injured and the total number of cyclist casualties are rising in both abslolute terms and relative to pedestrians. The number of cyclists seriously injured has recently exceeded twice that of pedestrians and the number for all casualties three times.

The data available for the last 3 years to 2014 (for last 10 years see the reference above) together with the 10 year averages are:

Cyclists

Killed: 24 22 22 | 26
KSI: 668 646 672 | 607
All: 3929 4011 4228 | 4037

Pedestrians

Killed: 23 21 23 | 28
KSI: 333 288 291 | 332
All: 1403 1281 1309 | 1474

All I ask is that interested parties study the data and come to their own conclusions regarding whether they think a per billion kms basis is the correct basis on which to do these comparisons (the UK Government clearly thinks it is) and whether, on that basis, cycling in the UK is, as stated in the post above, safer than walking.

I cycle for both leisure and competition (7-8000 miles a year). I also walk and I do not find either in the least bit intimidating i.e. they are both acceptably safe activities. I do wear a helmet through personal choice when riding (but not walking!) and have on numerous occasions benefited from the protection it offers my head. No "definitely saved my life" claims but a few unpleasant injuries avoided. Similarly I have benefited from wearing padded gloves and wearing sun or clear safety glasses. The tarmac, bugs on fast decents or stuff thrown up from a mate's back wheel are, I believe worth protecting my hands and eyes from even if rare occurences. Am I guilty of thereby of conveying a Danger, Danger! message. You decide. I am also testament to the health benefits of cycling and would recommend it to anyone. I find the arguments of zealots on all sides of the cycling safety debate act more to discourage than encourage people to take up cycling.

Graham.

---

Frank Krygowski

May 12, 2016, 4:17:54 PM5/12/16
The data you linked actually confirms what I've been saying, except that
the anomaly occurred for two years, not just one as I thought. In eight
of the ten years listed, cycling had fewer deaths per km than pedestrian
travel. After two years (2012 and 2013) of being slightly worse,
cycling returned to beating walking in 2014. In the ten year average,
cycling beats walking.

And again, Britain is unique, AFAIK, in ever having walking safer than
cycling in deaths per km traveled. Most countries seem to routinely
find cycling safer by that measure.

--
- Frank Krygowski

James

May 12, 2016, 5:02:35 PM5/12/16
Though the cyclists suffer about twice as many deaths or serious
injuries per billion kilometres.

Do I cue the rhetoric about grazed knees?

--
JS

Andre Jute

May 12, 2016, 6:55:38 PM5/12/16
Thanks, Graham. I'm afraid I've just given up. Life is too short to educate those who've already made up their minds.

I too am an example of Health Through Cycling, as my physicians keep telling me that I owe being alive to the bike.

Andre Jute

Frank Krygowski

May 12, 2016, 8:12:05 PM5/12/16
In other words, cyclists suffer fewer fatalities per km, but more
serious injuries per km.

Serious injuries may be more difficult to compare between countries, I
think, because I'm not sure that the definitions are uniform, country to
country. IOW, which injuries qualify as "serious"?

A classic cycling injury is a broken collar bone. The usual treatment
is, IIRC, to keep that arm in a sling for a month or two. Not that I
would want one, but I think it's rarely serious in the sense of
potentially life changing.

--
- Frank Krygowski

jbeattie

May 12, 2016, 8:38:16 PM5/12/16
It depends. Many of my friends have broken collar bones. My closest friend had internal fixation. Some end up with AC joint (acromio-clavicular joint -- the bump on the top of the shoulder) disruption and surgery because of that. Others get a sling only.

One of my son's good friends (with whom I rode when in SLC) just did a face plant with no helmet. He was knocked out and broke his face and jaw. He has his jaw wired shut and seems like a different person. He is having a very bad short-term recovery from his concussion. Shoe drops: he was riding drunk.

-- Jay Beattie.

James

May 12, 2016, 8:45:18 PM5/12/16
So my (sarcastic) question "Do I cue the rhetoric about grazed knees?"
was answered.

Most people see broken bones as "serious", I imagine. Even a broken rib
(another common cycling injury) can cause a punctured lung and serious
complications.

A separated AC joint is relatively common, and that shoulder will never
be the same.

--
JS

John B.

May 12, 2016, 9:08:44 PM5/12/16
On Thu, 12 May 2016 15:43:42 +1000, James <james.e...@gmail.com>
wrote:
That wasn't the point at all. I said (above) that the chances of being
hurt increased with an increases in speed. Not that one would
automatically be severally damaged at any speed over XYZ.
--
cheers,

John B.

John B.

May 12, 2016, 9:46:11 PM5/12/16
But essentially simple numbers of deaths is meaningless. Although
these sort of calculation are frequently used to justify something.

Re
https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/walking-and-cycling-statistics

About 3% of the population in the U.K. cycle 5 or more times a week
and approximately 47% walk at least 5 times a week.

As the population of the U.K. is in the neighborhood of 63,182,000
(2011 census) then the cycling population is about 1,895,460 and the
walking population is 29,695,540.

Using the figures for a ten year average then the cycling figures come
to 26/1895460 = .00137%. Walking deaths for the ten years average is
28/29695540 = .0000943%.

It might be noted that deaths due to old age in the U.K. amounted to
about 313,942 deaths on average per year in people aged 75 and over. A
death rate of 313,942/63,182,000, or 0.49%.

Which makes the death rate of cyclists or pedestrians,, whether in raw
numbers or percentages, look rather insignificant :-)

--
cheers,

John B.

John B.

May 12, 2016, 10:17:21 PM5/12/16
On Thu, 12 May 2016 19:08:42 +0100, Phil W Lee <ph...@lee-family.me.uk>
wrote:

>John B. <slocom...@gmail.xyz> considered Wed, 11 May 2016 18:46:16
>Physics 101 - your vertical velocity on hitting the ground is the
>same, no matter how fast you are moving along parallel to it. - the
>only thing that makes a difference is the height you fall from.
>Your speed only makes a difference to the level of gravel rash you
>will suffer, or if you actually collide with something.
>And very few utility cyclists travel at 30kph. On average the speed
>of a utility cyclist is 3 to 4x that of a pedestrian, depending on
>terrain.

That is an over simplification. I seem to remember (although memory
can be a sometime thing) that the force of a falling body that is also
traveling horizontally is a vector of the two forces, i.e. vertical
velocity and horizontal velocity.

But even of you ignore the above the force imposed on a body that is
de-accelerated results in various other forces being imposed. There
has, for example, been some discussion here of the "fact" that the
addend mass of a helmet may result in greater twisting forces applied
to the spine.

As for 30 kph I agree that it may not be an average speed but it is
certainly a speed that is attainable for significant periods of time.
According to Cycling Magazine the average speed of "You" over a 14 Kim
time trial course is 19 - 20 MPH, or 30 - 32 kph.

So certainly it is a reasonable figure.
>Not anywhere I know of any more.
>"Collision", "Incident" and suchlike terms are now preferred, because
>smart lawyers worked out that if someone like the police use the word
>"accident" it means it's nobodies fault really, so they should not be
>punished for something beyond their control. So the word is avoided
>to prevent prejudice.

You discount common conversation? I've never heard anyone say, "Oh! I
had a car incident". The term normally heard is "Oh! I had an
accident".

Official people often use a different language in order to be
specific. To the extent that the usual contract usually starts with a
"definition of terms". something that the normal conversation (or post
here in) doesn't do :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Bertrand

May 12, 2016, 11:36:31 PM5/12/16
> Serious injuries may be more difficult to compare between countries, I
> think, because I'm not sure that the definitions are uniform, country to
> country. IOW, which injuries qualify as "serious"?
>
> A classic cycling injury is a broken collar bone. The usual treatment
> is, IIRC, to keep that arm in a sling for a month or two. Not that I
> would want one, but I think it's rarely serious in the sense of
> potentially life changing.

For what it's worth, here's the U.S. National Transportation Safety Board
definition for aviation incidents and accidents:

Serious injury means any injury which: (1) Requires hospitalization for more
than 48 hours, commencing within 7 days from the date of the injury was
received; (2) results in a fracture of any bone (except simple fractures of
fingers, toes, or nose); (3) causes severe hemorrhages, nerve, muscle, or
tendon damage; (4) involves any internal organ; or (5) involves second- or
third-degree burns, or any burns affecting more than 5 percent of the body
surface.

So a broken collarbone would count.

Frank Krygowski

May 12, 2016, 11:55:32 PM5/12/16
That's the worst case scenario game again. I have a friend who fell and
broke a rib while walking on a forest path. Yes, it hurt, but not
nearly as badly as the shingles pain two different friends of mine
endured. And the treatment was the same: tough it out, perhaps with mild
analgesics. Is shingles considered a "serious injury?" Then why should a
simple broken rib, with no complications?

To put it another way: Yes, a punctured lung is serious. A broken rib
is not. And only a tiny percentage of broken ribs puncture lungs.

> A separated AC joint is relatively common, and that shoulder will never
> be the same.

But they are generally not treated at all, beyond slings and mild pain
relievers. The only people who get surgery for that are athletes. For
others, its of no practical importance.

I suppose we could examine a list of specific injuries that are, and are
not, included in the "serious injury" part of KSI.

But as usual, this thread has morphed. The original point, by James, was
that "cyclists are not at significantly higher risk of a head injury
than pedestrians or any other road user group." I can cite at least
four or five studies that show that cycling's medical benefits far
outweigh its risks.

Given these facts, it seems silly to spend time fantasizing about
hypothetical punctured lungs, or sports careers ruined by AC tears.

Cycling is simply not very dangerous on average, and unfortunately,
"average" includes people like Jay's drunk rider, lots of of
no-light-at-night folks, plenty of salmon riders, etc. If you ride
competently and with reasonable care, cycling is far safer yet.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Frank Krygowski

May 12, 2016, 11:57:59 PM5/12/16
Graham's source was giving fatalities per billion km traveled, not raw
fatality counts.

--
- Frank Krygowski

sms

May 13, 2016, 12:23:53 AM5/13/16
On 5/12/2016 2:02 PM, James wrote:

> Though the cyclists suffer about twice as many deaths or serious
> injuries per billion kilometres.

If you used a metric that corrected for the much lower average number of
miles per trip for pedestrians, it would not have been so much worse for
cyclists versus pedestrians.

John B.

May 13, 2016, 2:14:31 AM5/13/16
On Thu, 12 May 2016 23:57:55 -0400, Frank Krygowski
Well, I'll probably never die as I don't believe I'll ever reach a
billion km :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

John B.

May 13, 2016, 2:17:27 AM5/13/16
Agreed :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

James

May 13, 2016, 3:53:53 AM5/13/16
On 13/05/16 13:55, Frank Krygowski wrote:

> But as usual, this thread has morphed. The original point, by James, was
> that "cyclists are not at significantly higher risk of a head injury
> than pedestrians or any other road user group."

That is once they have reached the ER.

Then someone posted fatality and KSI per billion km figures for
pedestrians and cyclists.

And while the fatality figures are close to the same for each, the KSI
figures shows cyclists are about twice as likely to end up in the ER on
a per km basis.

However, as cyclists cover those kms, say, 4 times faster than
pedestrians, the risk figures must be modified to compare on a more
reasonable per hour or trip basis.

ISTM then, cyclists are about at 2 x 4 = 8 times greater risk of KSI on
a per hour or trip basis (assuming a trip time is the same for both).

Perhaps 7 out of those 8 extra KSI's are trivial injuries? Here's hoping.

--
JS

John B.

May 13, 2016, 4:56:03 AM5/13/16
On Fri, 13 May 2016 17:53:47 +1000, James <james.e...@gmail.com>
wrote:
The problem is the risk a factor of kilometers ridden or of hours
spent on the bike, or of some other factor?

As an example, flying risks are usually reported as a number versus
miles flown, or passenger miles flown. According to the U.S. Air
Force, if I remember correctly, non combat aircraft accidents are
largely associated with either landings or take-offs and therefore it
might be more logical to equate aircraft accidents with landings or
takeoffs (as they usually are the same number).

There was report of a year long study done by the California Highway
Patrol, in Los Angles county, in 2012, that included bicycles. "In
those cases where CHP placed the blame for the collision on the bike
rider, the overwhelming cause of the crashes (1,341 occurrences) was
the cyclist riding on the wrong side of the road.

Does some bozo riding on the wrong side of the road have any
correlation with kilometers traveled?

I read an Australian study that showed that a significant number of
Australian bicycle accidents are associated with high blood-alcohol
levels.

The closing lines article reporting the CHP study are "Bikers were
also found at fault for failure to yield, disobeying signs, improperly
turning, and speeding, but in all those 2,759 cases where they were
found to be at fault, it was still a bike up against a damn car"

Kilometers? Cars? Bicycles?
--
cheers,

John B.

Rolf Mantel

May 13, 2016, 5:20:03 AM5/13/16
Am 13.05.2016 um 10:55 schrieb John B.:

> I read an Australian study that showed that a significant number of
> Australian bicycle accidents are associated with high blood-alcohol
> levels.

Even more significant than the number of accidents, the average severity
of incidents is significantly increased with high blood-alcohol level
(and with old age above 75 years).

Whereas sober (pedestrians and )cyclists on a simple fall typically have
some rashes and bruises, drunk people who fall often hit their head on
the ground because the reflexes protecting the head are severely reduced.

Graham

May 13, 2016, 5:56:28 AM5/13/16

"Frank Krygowski" <frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:nh2o6q$p47$1...@dont-email.me...
In most years the differences in deaths per billion kms could easily be accounted for by data collection (kms covered) and rounding errors as they are quoted as integers. Surely rather than arguing over trivial differences we should be able to agree for all intents and purposes that the numbers are the same instead of making the pedantic point above.

What is more important is that ~25 in 1 billion is exceedingly low. Given that in most developed countires I expect the numbers are of a similar order of magnitude I guess virtually everyone contributing to this group never even thinks about the possibilty of getting killed when they jump on their bikes. Similarly even if we move to the all casualty categories where the cycling numbers are three times those of walking how many of us think we might be injured however slightly when we either walk out of the door or jump on our bikes. It is the zealots obsessing about these statistics and the small risks involved that scare people. It is they who are guilty of Danger Danger! not those who choose to wear any sort of protective gear when they ride be that helmet, gloves or glasses.

Those of us who do chose to wear such gear tend to know from personal experience that statistics used for transport planning and the like do not necessarily apply to us particularly if we ride competitively or in challenging environments where unfortunatly, as the say, "shit happens!" If you push the envelope you will from time to time come off and then be glad of the gear. Clearly none of this applies to the average utility cyclist and I support fully their right to be able to ride in normal clothes without the need for any special gear. It should be up to them whether or not they want to follow my example given the much lower level of "self imposed" risk they face. To me their main source of risk comes from the traffic they tend to ride in where my gear would not help them much anyway. I do no utility cycling and prefer the open roads to urban roads. To me cycling is a sport not a form of transport. Anywhere up to two miles I prefer to walk beyond that or if I have a serious load to carry I am afraid its the car. I have two daughters who cycle purely as a form of transport and have no interest in it at all as a sport. We all share a love of cycling and do not rubbish each others choices.

As to definitions the those behind the UK statistics are:

Serious injury: Injury resulting in a person being detained in hospital as an in-patient, in addition all injuries causing: fractures, concussions, internal injuries, crushings, burns (excluding friction burns), severe cuts, severe general shock which require medical treatment even if this does not result in a stay in hospital as an in-patient.

Slight injury: Sprain (including neck whiplash injury), bruising or cuts which are not judged to be severe. Also slight shock requiring roadside assistance.

John B.

May 13, 2016, 5:57:19 AM5/13/16
On Fri, 13 May 2016 11:16:55 +0200, Rolf Mantel <Rolf....@web.de>
wrote:

>Am 13.05.2016 um 10:55 schrieb John B.:
>
>> I read an Australian study that showed that a significant number of
>> Australian bicycle accidents are associated with high blood-alcohol
>> levels.
>
>Even more significant than the number of accidents, the average severity
>of incidents is significantly increased with high blood-alcohol level
>(and with old age above 75 years).

The politically correct term is "upper middle age" :-)

>Whereas sober (pedestrians and )cyclists on a simple fall typically have
>some rashes and bruises, drunk people who fall often hit their head on
>the ground because the reflexes protecting the head are severely reduced.
--
cheers,

John B.

John B.

May 13, 2016, 7:03:26 AM5/13/16
How do they collect and document the mileage? Does every cyclist
report after each ride?

>What is more important is that ~25 in 1 billion is exceedingly low. Given that in most developed countires I expect the numbers are of a similar order of magnitude I guess virtually everyone contributing to this group never even thinks about the possibilty of getting killed when they jump on their bikes. Similarly even if we move to the all casualty categories where the cycling numbers are three times those of walking how many of us think we might be injured however slightly when we either walk out of the door or jump on our bikes. It is the zealots obsessing about these statistics and the small risks involved that scare people. It is they who are guilty of Danger Danger! not those who choose to wear any sort of protective gear when they ride be that helmet, gloves or glasses.
>
>Those of us who do chose to wear such gear tend to know from personal experience that statistics used for transport planning and the like do not necessarily apply to us particularly if we ride competitively or in challenging environments where unfortunatly, as the say, "shit happens!" If you push the envelope you will from time to time come off and then be glad of the gear. Clearly none of this applies to the average utility cyclist and I support fully their right to be able to ride in normal clothes without the need for any special gear. It should be up to them whether or not they want to follow my example given the much lower level of "self imposed" risk they face. To me their main source of risk comes from the traffic they tend to ride in where my gear would not help them much anyway. I do no utility cycling and prefer the open roads to urban roads. To me cycling is a sport not a form of transport. Anywhere up to two miles I prefer to walk beyond that or if I have a serious load
>to carry I am afraid its the car. I have two daughters who cycle purely as a form of transport and have no interest in it at all as a sport. We all share a love of cycling and do not rubbish each others choices.
>
>As to definitions the those behind the UK statistics are:
>
>Serious injury: Injury resulting in a person being detained in hospital as an in-patient, in addition all injuries causing: fractures, concussions, internal injuries, crushings, burns (excluding friction burns), severe cuts, severe general shock which require medical treatment even if this does not result in a stay in hospital as an in-patient.
>
>Slight injury: Sprain (including neck whiplash injury), bruising or cuts which are not judged to be severe. Also slight shock requiring roadside assistance.
>
>Graham.
>
>---
cheers,

John B.

John B.

May 13, 2016, 7:05:30 AM5/13/16
On Fri, 13 May 2016 11:16:55 +0200, Rolf Mantel <Rolf....@web.de>
wrote:

I've read all kinds of stories about Drunks. Some even allege that a
Drunk, being nearly unconscious is less likely to be injured because
he is limp :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

AMuzi

May 13, 2016, 8:26:01 AM5/13/16
That's a trend. Alcohol doesn't go well with fixed gear, no
brake:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/FACEPLNT.JPG

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

AMuzi

May 13, 2016, 8:26:46 AM5/13/16
+1
both of mine

Graham

May 13, 2016, 8:30:12 AM5/13/16

"John B." <slocom...@gmail.xyz> wrote in message news:qhcbjblr7eh611p2l...@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 13 May 2016 10:56:25 +0100, "Graham"
> <h2gt2g42-mi...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>>In most years the differences in deaths per billion kms could easily be accounted for by data collection (kms covered) and rounding errors as they are quoted as integers. Surely rather than arguing over trivial differences we should be able to agree for all intents and purposes that the numbers are the same instead of making the pedantic point above.
>>
> How do they collect and document the mileage? Does every cyclist
> report after each ride?

More or less ;) To quote:

"NTS (National Travel Survey) data collection consists of a face-to-face interview and a 7 day self-completed written travel diary, allowing travel patterns to be linked with individual characteristics. The NTS covers travel by people in all age groups, including children"

Apparently some still want to cite the difference between numbers like 22 deaths per billion kms and 21 deaths per billion kms to make their point!!!!

jbeattie

May 13, 2016, 11:45:53 AM5/13/16
At least this kid had a brake and a SS. He hit some pot hole or other road discontinuity and . . . whap. That happened to me without the booze (pot hole under water on flooded road), and I had a concussion, small facial laceration and an AC separation. I got a sling, but I wasn't that diligent wearing it. I think my helmet helped mitigate the injuries based on distribution, e.g. no forehead or scalp injury.

-- Jay Beattie.

cycl...@gmail.com

May 13, 2016, 12:23:56 PM5/13/16
On Monday, May 9, 2016 at 8:58:38 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
> What I find most refreshing is the absence of helmet agenda, and
> interesting that pedestrians appear to have a *higher* incidence of head
> injury than cyclists in the EU.
>
> I don't know what the helmet wearing rate is like across the EU, but it
> may be safe to say that cyclists are not at significantly higher risk of
> a head injury than pedestrians or any other road user group. In other
> words, to target cyclists for mandatory helmet laws seems like class
> discrimination.
>
> http://nrso.ntua.gr/geyannis/images/stories/ge/Publications/Papers-Conferences/geyannis-pc235.pdf
>
> --
> JS

James - Almost ALL you will get here is opinions based on other people's opinions.

Since I studied helmets since they first came out (as safety director of the American Federation of Motorcycles) and as an engineer I can quite accurately tell you that helmets offer extremely small protection. And they WILL NOT decrease Traumatic Brain Injury though they certainly can reduce things like road rash on your head and VERY minor head injuries such as a bump and the like.

Helmets have one overwhelming limitation - the size with which a person can put up with. And the weight with which the human neck and spine can support. (no that's not two points it is one).

Because of this EXTREMELY limited size the Snell Foundation set their limits on attempting to prevent skull fractures NOT from collisions but simply from falling over.

While all of this sounds good it turns out that the overwhelming majority of Traumatic Brain Injuries is NOT from skull fractures but concussion which often causes permanent disabilities.

And the SAME standards which make the helmet strong enough to keep you from skull fracture make the helmet worthless at preventing concussion - the impact resistance is too high. If you make the material softer to prevent concussions the helmet is FAR too small to pass the testing standards and at the size they are they are too thin to effectively prevent concussions.

So no matter HOW many doctors and nurses will swear that helmets saved a life they most certainly did not. The head simply did not strike hard enough for Traumatic Brain Injury. And that is the general case. You normally protect yourself in a fall so that your head does not strike but that most of the energy is absorbed gouging large sections of skin off of your hands, arms and legs.

Welcome to the real world.

cycl...@gmail.com

May 13, 2016, 12:57:10 PM5/13/16
On Tuesday, May 10, 2016 at 9:21:08 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> On 5/10/2016 9:13 PM, John B. wrote:
> > On Tue, 10 May 2016 11:43:52 -0400, Frank Krygowski
> > <frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Fatalities per hour is an alternative. That's more useful for general
> comparison of widely different activities, like swimming vs. cleaning
> gutters vs. gardening vs. riding motorcycles vs. rock climbing vs.
> bicycling. It works well for comparing many leisure activities, since
> people probably tend to budget a relatively constant amount of time to
> those activities.
>
> Total fatality or injury counts are perhaps best for evaluating "cost to
> society" or something similar. And proponents of bike helmets are very
> big on claiming that huge portions of our county's budget get sunk into
> caring for brain damaged cyclists. That's nonsense, of course, as shown
> by any dispassionate examination of actual causes of serious TBI.
>
> And BTW, examining only negative consequences (fatalities, TBI counts,
> ER visits, etc.) still gives an incomplete picture. Obviously, in the
> U.S. we permit motoring despite over 30,000 motorist deaths per year
> because we judge the benefits of motoring are even greater. In a
> similar way, the hand-wringers should acknowledge that every study on
> the issue has judged that the medical and societal benefits of cycing
> _far_ outweigh its tiny risks.
>
> --
> - Frank Krygowski

Frank, you are trying to use statistics to show that helmets don't work. That's a dead end because most people haven't the capacity to understand statistics.

Though it would seem easy enough to understand that you compare the numbers of one sort of ACCIDENT to the numbers of TBI's it turns out that is rather difficult to do.

It is comparing apples and oranges. MOST bicycle injuries are single vehicle accidents that do not involve automobiles while EVERY pedestrian accident involves a car. So the levels of energy are at the very least an order of magnitude different.

And cyclists in a fall protect themselves whereas a pedestrian being struck doesn't have any way to protect himself.

Therefore we are reduced to the plain engineering of bicycle or motorcycle helmets.

Having been a nearly fatal victim of TBI falling on my head from ONLY THREE FEET I can attest that the engineering standards of a helmet are not and cannot be sufficient.

There are improvements which can and are being made - the aero designs of helmets are disappearing since the rear section of such a helmet can cause your head to twist in a minor fall and break your neck. Stylish round helmets are appearing FINALLY.

Giro is designing a helmet in which the liner is disconnected from the absorbent material. This therefore allows the helmet to sharply twist if you fall and do not strike your head directly. On the surface, this seems like it might help prevent some concussions from minor falls but that remains to be seen and I have serious doubts.

So "what is a concussion"? The brain is held in place inside of the skull by a web of tissue (the Dura). If you strike your head the deceleration of your skull can exceed the ability of that tissue to retain your brain in place and not only can it then slam into the other side of your skull causing damage to the (generally) cerebellum, but it can also then bounce back and forth tearing the VERY important tissue that holds the two halves of the brain together.

The cerebellum contains memory, personality and behavior, reasoning, movement and intelligence. In my case the memory is sorely effected.

Serious injuries are not a pretty thing. I will be taking medication for the rest of my life that has some rather nasty side effects. At the moment my blood levels are peaking and I am having trouble focusing.

Frank Krygowski

May 13, 2016, 12:57:19 PM5/13/16
Keep in mind what the point really is, and what it's in response to.

One major American newspaper just did yet another story about the fact
that bike commuting may be less safe than you think, and claiming that
bikes are "the most dangerous way to get around, with the exception of
motorcycles." However, the article never mentions walking at all. If
the incompetent, fear mongering author had bothered to check that
comparison, she might have thought twice about her message.

And when people say that cycling is more dangerous than walking, data
claiming the opposite should not be inadmissible. 22 vs. 21 may be a
small difference; but if such small differences are found year after in
favor of cycling, it seems unlikely they're due to rounding errors.

And again: Britain's fatality-per-km figures, while favoring cycling
over walking, seem unusually close. Pucher found more than a 3 to 1
margin in favor of cycling. I have some old Australian data (1986) with
a 3.8 to 1 margin favoring cycling. Also 1999 data from the U.K. giving
a 1.4 to one margin in favor of cycling.

Cycling has been subject to "Danger! Danger!" propaganda for decades
now. I'm baffled that dedicated cyclists accept that propaganda without
question; and I'm more baffled when they argue to exclude data that
shows the fear mongering to be false.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Frank Krygowski

May 13, 2016, 1:05:22 PM5/13/16
Correct. Back in 2009, Dr. Patrick Crocker of Austin Texas was lobbying
hard for an all-ages mandatory helmet law in that city. He announced a
research project, in which hospital staff would gather data on all
cyclists presented to the ER for (IIRC) two years.

Once the data was in, he was forced to admit that correlation between
helmet use and brain injury did not reach statistical significance. But
there was strong correlation between alcohol use and TBI.

One interesting corollary is that very few helmet studies have kept data
on alcohol use. It's a widely ignored confounding factor. And since
drunks rarely wear helmets, it may invalidate a lot of pro-helmet studies.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Andre Jute

May 13, 2016, 1:06:06 PM5/13/16
On Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 10:02:35 PM UTC+1, James wrote:
> On 13/05/16 06:17, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> > On 5/12/2016 6:17 AM, Graham wrote:
> >>
> >> "Frank Krygowski" <frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> >>>>
> >> [snip]
> >>
> Do I cue the rhetoric about grazed knees?
>
> --
> JS

I would take this result as a nudge that we need to examine another metric to get at the most relevant truth. The obvious one, arising from the consideration that pedestrians and bicycles don't travel at the same speed, is by the time spent on the bike/on the pedestrian's feet. Bikes, cars and feet are usually used for different lengths of journeys, too. And so on; it merely requires putting one's mind in gear. After examining the other metrics, we may of course decide that the most relevant truth is contained in the number we started with. I once demonstrated on the American national transport numbers that, generally speaking (meaning except for fanatics like Franki-boy trying to find a number that buzzes like the bee in his bonnet), all the numbers tend the same way: cycling is safe enough, comparatively speaking, a point I take up in the penultimate par of this letter. But you can't arrive at a proper conclusion without considering all the relevant metrics -- and, importantly, going through the reasoning behind those metrics, which is also the statistician's demonstrating that he understands what he's trying to measure.

The point I'm making is that the view you take depends on the metric you choose. I don't know whether Frank Krygowski is too stupid to grasp that statistics aren't just mechanical mathematics but an elevated interdisciplinary art form, or in the grip of a political passion that blinds him to the fact that we all know he uses statistics to tell lies that suit him, but he is the prime, glaring example on RBT of how statistics can be made to lie and lie and lie.

There is another problem. The results are per billion miles per year (an important part of the metric description usually left off to save space on top of columns but understood by professionals), an aggregate of all cyclists at a moment in time spanning one year. But one cyclist, you, me, will never ride a billion miles per year or in any period of time. Experienced researchers who practice on large demographics know that huge aggregate universes with tiny fractions as results hide plenty of what a statistician called Clive once poetically called "ripples in the sand, under the foam of the waves".

Let me give you a couple of examples. Speed matters in accidents, right? Common sense tells us that it does. Well, the most potentially damaging bicycle accident I was ever in was a single bike incident, not another vehicle on the road, and I was riding at maybe 6mph on a narrow lane approaching an intersection with another narrow lane at the top of a hill in the countryside. I was blown off my bike by a sudden wind that sprang up between the hedges, that the truckie who picked me up said all the flatsiders know about, and bruised all up my side; my doctor said the extent of the bruising and scraping was such that I was lucky not to have broken a hip and maimed myself for life. Late last year, a quarter century older, at somewhere between 35 and 50kph on a downhill section I took a faceplant when my front tube blew out, so apparently hard that all three the drivers behind me stopped, phones out to call the ambulance. There wasn't a mark on me except a lightly grazed shin from extracting myself from the bike, which fell on top of me. Even my helmet, which protected my face, was only lightly scratched, and the vizor wasn't even cracked. I was shook up but told the people who stopped (two of whom offered to run me home -- I live in a small, friendly town) that they could go, I would call a taxi to take my bike home across the valley. The point? These aggregates don't describe individual accidents, nor do they predict what will happen to you. Note that I make no universal conclusions from these events; they're outliers, under the radar. Note something else: since I have a personal physician and therefore do not appear at A&E unless I arrive by public ambulance, unconscious, even the serious accident won't appear in any statistic, and wouldn't have even if I had broken a hip, because the truckie would still have delivered me to my doctor's surgery only three miles away and 22m nearer than the nearest A&E. Two broken little fingers, from other incidents, which would apparently count in these statistics, were never even shown to my physician, never mind taken to A&E, because, as a writer who uses all his fingers all the time, I didn't want them splinted.

By the way, the nearest I ever came to death on my bike wasn't even an accident, and no other vehicle was involved: I was stung by a wasp and swelled up so alarmingly, and was losing control so fast, that my pedalpals rushed me to my doctor's surgery where I was given an antihistamine injection and a lecture during which I discovered that in another hour at most I would have been dead. Now that deserves a statistic of its own!

"Cycling is safe enough, comparatively speaking" -- unlike some, I don't have the hubris to speak for anyone but myself. In fact, a point Graham has also made, cycling on most available numbers, after you make allowance for the difficulties and uncertainties inherent in the numbers, is no more dangerous nor any more safe than most common forms of personal transport. This is why cycling advocates try to fudge the point by arguing that there are "societal benefits" from increased health of cyclists, which may or may not be true but is, statistically, special pleading, which is merely a semi-polite way of saying that it is a crap argument.

The point, once we can measure that closely, is not to discuss endlessly whether cycling is "safer" than say zero-parachute skydiving, but to note that more can and should be done to save cyclists' lives. I have already demonstrated that in the United States, a mandatory helmet law will save several hundred lives every year. I don't know whether the same is true elsewhere because we don't have relevant numbers (the Stateside conclusion depends on the multiyear headcount, not sampling, of injured cyclists in New York, a uniquely competent and comprehensive set of numbers) but I suspect it isn't true in The Netherlands because the cycling/motoring cultural balance is different.

Andre Jute
Whose statistics?

Andre Jute

May 13, 2016, 1:08:47 PM5/13/16
On Friday, May 13, 2016 at 4:45:53 PM UTC+1, jbeattie wrote:
>...hit some pot hole or other road discontinuity and . . . whap. That happened to me without the booze (pot hole under water on flooded road), and I had a concussion, small facial laceration and an AC separation. I got a sling, but I wasn't that diligent wearing it. I think my helmet helped mitigate the injuries based on distribution, e.g. no forehead or scalp injury.
>
> -- Jay Beattie.

That's when a helmet earns its keep, keeping you pretty despite stupidity or bad luck.

Andre Jute

Andre Jute

May 13, 2016, 1:14:47 PM5/13/16
Ouch. -- AJ

russell...@yahoo.com

May 13, 2016, 1:57:36 PM5/13/16
On Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 7:38:16 PM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:

> One of my son's good friends (with whom I rode when in SLC) just did a face plant with no helmet. He was knocked out and broke his face and jaw. Shoe drops: he was riding drunk.
>
> -- Jay Beattie.

Not sure sobriety matters or wearing a helmet matters when you do a face plant on a bicycle. The helmet is not protecting the bottom of your head, your jaw. And sobriety does not affect how your face contacts the ground. I suspect the sobriety would affect the reason the accident occurred, but not the result of the accident. A drunk person might decide to ride down a flight of stairs while a sober person would choose to carry the bike down the stairs. One action results in an accident, the other not.

russell...@yahoo.com

May 13, 2016, 2:08:11 PM5/13/16
On Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 7:45:18 PM UTC-5, James wrote:

> Most people see broken bones as "serious", I imagine. Even a broken rib
> (another common cycling injury) can cause a punctured lung and serious
> complications.
>
> A separated AC joint is relatively common, and that shoulder will never
> be the same.
>
> --
> JS

What is serious? I was in a bike car wreck in 2010. Injured, but not broken collar bone. Wore a sling for a week or so. No activity with that arm for a week or so. Cuts, scrapes, bruises. Hit the front fender and went up onto the hood and windshield and then the ground. Serious? Had an ambulance haul me to the hospital. I was not bleeding quarts of blood onto the road. My definition is if you hit the ground and cannot get back up and ride the bike home, then its serious. I of course was wearing a helmet. Police asked me if I was wearing a helmet.

I've been in accidents with and without a helmet. Have a scar on my forehead to remind me what not wearing a helmet results in. Other accidents where I probably hit my head during the accident but did not suffer any scars or concussions, probably due to the styrofoam helmet. I'll choose to wear a helmet every day of the week.

russell...@yahoo.com

May 13, 2016, 2:29:16 PM5/13/16
On Friday, May 13, 2016 at 11:23:56 AM UTC-5, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:

> So no matter HOW many doctors and nurses will swear that helmets saved a life they most certainly did not. The head simply did not strike hard enough for Traumatic Brain Injury. And that is the general case. You normally protect yourself in a fall so that your head does not strike but that most of the energy is absorbed gouging large sections of skin off of your hands, arms and legs.

It is very apparent you have never ever been in an actual bike accident. I will agree the instinct is to stick out your hands and arms to protect your head. Given enough time to react. Such as failing to get your feet out of the pedals and toppling over on the side of the road. You will stick out your hands to brace your fall. But in almost all other accidents, there is no time to react consciously by sticking out your hands to break your fall. A car turns in front of you while riding. You hit the fender, roll onto the hood and windshield, fall to the ground. Fraction of a second. No time to stick out your hands to protect your head. I'd suggest you learn a bit more about how the real world works.

AMuzi

May 13, 2016, 2:47:32 PM5/13/16
I'm sure you did not mean to be unkind but Tom has suffered
a significant crash with long-term complications.

Frank Krygowski

May 13, 2016, 3:04:28 PM5/13/16
I think it varies quite a bit depending on the circumstances of the
crash. In some cases, there's enough time to know things are going
badly and to get ready. In other cases, there's not.

And I think that factor often depends on the mindset of the rider.
There are people I've ridden with who are alert enough that they've
amassed a collection of tools found in the road; and there are people
who frequently seem unable to anticipate potholes. That's not crash
related, but I strongly suspect the latter group gets surprised by all
sorts of other things that they don't bother watching for. I think that
makes them more likely to get in bad situations in the first place, as
well as less likely to be able to react.

As a related non-cycling example: Because of certain life changes, I do
quite a bit more freeway driving than I used to. I'm amazed by the
number of motorists that will drive at high speed up the right lane of
three lanes, suddenly hit their brakes when they're close behind a slow
truck, then start looking over their shoulder to see how they might
change lanes to pass. By watching traffic at least a quarter mile
ahead, they'd have much less stress and hassle, faster travel plus
better gas mileage.

Riding a bike or driving in traffic is like playing chess. To be any
good at all, you have to be anticipating, thinking of possibilities at
least three moves ahead. Lots of people don't get that.

--
- Frank Krygowski

cycl...@gmail.com

May 13, 2016, 5:24:15 PM5/13/16
My fall was because my speedo pickup started clicking. I leaned down to fix it and my IRD carbon fork exploded. I ONLY had enough time to roll my head enough to land ON the helmet. If you were drunk you wouldn't have the speed of mind to do that.

cycl...@gmail.com

May 13, 2016, 5:31:58 PM5/13/16
Are you a stand-up comedian? If you hang yourself in California they'll name a freeway tunnel after you.

cycl...@gmail.com

May 13, 2016, 5:46:20 PM5/13/16
The vast overwhelming majority of bicycle crashes are single vehicle crashes with LOTS of time (relatively) to protect yourself. Else why would road rash be such subjects for jokes.

There are almost NO fatal motorcycle crashes on race tracks despite speeds and taking chances FAR more than a street rider. And again that is because these crashes are almost invariably single vehicle accidents giving the rider time to protect himself and even a slight protection makes a significant difference.

I race semi-professional road racing motorcycles and crashed my share of times but with leathers and crash helmets lost FAR more skin on the bicycle crashes I've had.

Russell knows nothing about what we're talking about and trying to hold an intelligent conversation with him is hardly going to achieve anything.

Sticking your HANDS OUT??? More like rolling into it so that your shoulder and hip and the largest possible area hits is more like it and requires very little effort or time. Exactly HOW does he think that pro-cyclists can crash three or four times in a Grand Tour peloton with 40 riders down and get up the next day and ride tempo? Oh, yeh, it's those performance enhancing drugs ain't it?

Frank Krygowski

May 13, 2016, 6:30:23 PM5/13/16
On 5/13/2016 5:30 PM, Phil W Lee wrote:
> Frank Krygowski <frkr...@sbcglobal.net> considered Thu, 12 May 2016
> 20:12:00 -0400 the perfect time to write:
>> In other words, cyclists suffer fewer fatalities per km, but more
>> serious injuries per km.
>>
>> Serious injuries may be more difficult to compare between countries, I
>> think, because I'm not sure that the definitions are uniform, country to
>> country. IOW, which injuries qualify as "serious"?
>>
>> A classic cycling injury is a broken collar bone. The usual treatment
>> is, IIRC, to keep that arm in a sling for a month or two. Not that I
>> would want one, but I think it's rarely serious in the sense of
>> potentially life changing.
>
> In the UK, any broken bone, dislocated joint or hospital admission is
> automatically classed as serious. There are a few other things as
> well.
> However, the figures are grossly distorted because to qualify as a
> reportable transport incident, a vehicle must be involved. That means
> ALL cycling incidents get listed, but NONE of thee trips, slips and
> falls which outnumber vulnerable road user incidents by an order of
> magnitude.
> That is probably why the UK looks so bad in the cyclist/pedestrian
> comparison.

Ah, I'd read of that before but forgotten it. So if a cyclist slips on
ice and falls, the resulting injury counts against cycling. If a
pedestrian slips on ice and falls, it doesn't count. Is that correct?

--
- Frank Krygowski

John B.

May 13, 2016, 8:41:25 PM5/13/16
On Fri, 13 May 2016 23:26:50 +0100, Phil W Lee <ph...@lee-family.me.uk>
wrote:

>John B. <slocom...@gmail.xyz> considered Fri, 13 May 2016 09:17:16
>+0700 the perfect time to write:
>
>>On Thu, 12 May 2016 19:08:42 +0100, Phil W Lee <ph...@lee-family.me.uk>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>John B. <slocom...@gmail.xyz> considered Wed, 11 May 2016 18:46:16
>>>+0700 the perfect time to write:

>>>Physics 101 - your vertical velocity on hitting the ground is the
>>>same, no matter how fast you are moving along parallel to it. - the
>>>only thing that makes a difference is the height you fall from.
>>>Your speed only makes a difference to the level of gravel rash you
>>>will suffer, or if you actually collide with something.
>>>And very few utility cyclists travel at 30kph. On average the speed
>>>of a utility cyclist is 3 to 4x that of a pedestrian, depending on
>>>terrain.
>>
>>That is an over simplification. I seem to remember (although memory
>>can be a sometime thing) that the force of a falling body that is also
>>traveling horizontally is a vector of the two forces, i.e. vertical
>>velocity and horizontal velocity.
>>
>>But even of you ignore the above the force imposed on a body that is
>>de-accelerated results in various other forces being imposed. There
>>has, for example, been some discussion here of the "fact" that the
>>addend mass of a helmet may result in greater twisting forces applied
>>to the spine.
>>
>>As for 30 kph I agree that it may not be an average speed but it is
>>certainly a speed that is attainable for significant periods of time.
>>According to Cycling Magazine the average speed of "You" over a 14 Kim
>>time trial course is 19 - 20 MPH, or 30 - 32 kph.
>>
>>So certainly it is a reasonable figure.
>>
>Not even remotely so for a utility cyclist.
>Most of them would only ever see that speed on a long hill, and would
>find it scary/exciting depending on personality.

You are, I suspect, speaking of the cyclist that leaps astride their
cycle and pedals sedately off to the corner store for a quart of milk,
and in that rather narrow definition you are undoubtedly correct, but
that same cyclist, on a nice Sunday, may well be out on the highways
and byways rolling along at 30 KPH.

As Frank has noted, buying a bicycle for a nice old lady to ride
sedately along the road is posing a bit of a problem.... they don't
seem to be so common these days.

>What you are doing is taking a sporting figure and applying it to
>utility use. On that basis, it's reasonable to claim that the average
>speed of motorcyclists is around 200km/h - after all, that's what they
>manage to average in the Isle of Man TT, on real roads.
>And of course, cars in city centres average over 130km/h, because the
>F1 Grand Prix in Monaco averages that, again on real city centre
>roads.

Ridiculous. I can't quantify it as I don't carry a pencil and paper to
make a note every time I see speedy cyclists but I certainly have the
very distinct impression that the bulk of the cyclists I see on my
Sunday Ride are capable of 30 kph and are riding at that speed every
chance they have. You assertion that 30 kph is a racing speed is
ludicrous. If you are speaking of professional racing speeds then you
should be discussing speeds of nearly twice that speed.

Rik Verbrugghe, 58.874 km/h, 7.6 km prologue time trial 2001 Giro
d'Italia, and Greg LeMond 54.545 km/h Versailles - Paris (24.5 km)
1989, so it has been going on for a number of years.

>>>Not anywhere I know of any more.
>>>"Collision", "Incident" and suchlike terms are now preferred, because
>>>smart lawyers worked out that if someone like the police use the word
>>>"accident" it means it's nobodies fault really, so they should not be
>>>punished for something beyond their control. So the word is avoided
>>>to prevent prejudice.
>>
>>You discount common conversation? I've never heard anyone say, "Oh! I
>>had a car incident". The term normally heard is "Oh! I had an
>>accident".
>>
>>Official people often use a different language in order to be
>>specific. To the extent that the usual contract usually starts with a
>>"definition of terms". something that the normal conversation (or post
>>here in) doesn't do :-)
>
>So much for technical, eh?
>
>The typical road "accident" is no more accidental than when a child
>kicks a football through a window. It is an entirely foreseeable
>outcome of risky behaviour, which certainly doesn't fit within the
>dictionary definition of "accident".

You are correct. Road accidents are the result of someone going out
and doing something. Had they stayed home, watching TV, the accident
would not have happened. Thus "road accidents" are not chance events
but are the result of a deliberate ands risky action.

But one wonders, do you frequently hear people use terms like, "Ho! I
had a car incident"? Or in the terms of a contract, "herein" or "party
of the first part".
--
cheers,

John B.

jbeattie

May 13, 2016, 8:47:55 PM5/13/16
Why did your fork explode?

-- Jay Beattie.

Joy Beeson

May 13, 2016, 11:11:37 PM5/13/16
On Fri, 13 May 2016 11:29:13 -0700 (PDT), "russell...@yahoo.com"
<russell...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> No time to stick out your hands to protect your head.

The doctor who wired my clavicle together told me that putting out
your hand to protect your head is hard-wired -- there is no way you
can *not* do it.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

Frank Krygowski

May 14, 2016, 12:11:15 AM5/14/16
On 5/13/2016 8:41 PM, John B. wrote:
> On Fri, 13 May 2016 23:26:50 +0100, Phil W Lee <ph...@lee-family.me.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> John B. <slocom...@gmail.xyz> considered Fri, 13 May 2016 09:17:16
>> +0700 the perfect time to write:
>>

>>> As for 30 kph I agree that it may not be an average speed but it is
>>> certainly a speed that is attainable for significant periods of time.
>>> According to Cycling Magazine the average speed of "You" over a 14 Kim
>>> time trial course is 19 - 20 MPH, or 30 - 32 kph.
>>>
>>> So certainly it is a reasonable figure.
>>>
>> Not even remotely so for a utility cyclist.
>> Most of them would only ever see that speed on a long hill, and would
>> find it scary/exciting depending on personality.
>
> You are, I suspect, speaking of the cyclist that leaps astride their
> cycle and pedals sedately off to the corner store for a quart of milk,
> and in that rather narrow definition you are undoubtedly correct, but
> that same cyclist, on a nice Sunday, may well be out on the highways
> and byways rolling along at 30 KPH.
>
> As Frank has noted, buying a bicycle for a nice old lady to ride
> sedately along the road is posing a bit of a problem.... they don't
> seem to be so common these days.

No, actually that's not what I'm finding at all. My current difficulty
in shopping for/with my friend is illustrated by the last bike shop I
visited. They had (as a guess) about 100 adult bikes in stock. Of
those, about 85 were either mountain bikes or comfort bikes, with
upright handlebars. My friend has already decided she prefers drop bars.

Of the 15 or so drop bar bikes, most were too racing oriented for her.
She had no aspirations for racing; she wants the drop bars for the
variety of hand positions, and because they do make riding a bit easier.
Maybe some bit of sporting image is part of her attitude too; I can't
say for sure.

I suspect we'll eventually be able to find her a drop bar bike that
(like mine) works well even on crushed limestone rail-trails. But she
won't be riding it at 30 kph. If that happens, it would be only on a
significant downhill, and I doubt it will happen even then.

Short version: Nope, most cyclists don't crank along at 30 kph. 15 kph
is more like it.

--
- Frank Krygowski

John B.

May 14, 2016, 2:01:07 AM5/14/16
Frank, you say, that, essentially, you can't find what you/her want, I
said that they (meaning the kind of bike you are looking for) don't
seem to be so common these days. Aren't we saying the same thing?

>Short version: Nope, most cyclists don't crank along at 30 kph. 15 kph
>is more like it.

Well, I suppose that I cannot say categorically that everyone is
cranking along at 30 kph but I can say categorically that I am
cranking along at 25 - 28 kph and most of the bicycles I see are going
faster then I am.

So maybe it is 29 kph?
--
cheers,

John B.

Duane

May 14, 2016, 7:28:19 AM5/14/16
Joy Beeson <jbe...@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:
> On Fri, 13 May 2016 11:29:13 -0700 (PDT), "russell...@yahoo.com"
> <russell...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> No time to stick out your hands to protect your head.
>
> The doctor who wired my clavicle together told me that putting out
> your hand to protect your head is hard-wired -- there is no way you
> can *not* do it.

As a kid playing football we learned to fall by tucking and rolling. It
sort of overrode the natural impulse to put out your hand and breaking your
wrist. Whether a separated shoulder is better than a broken wrist is
probably a matter of opinion.

--
duane

AMuzi

May 14, 2016, 8:41:05 AM5/14/16
With both shoulders popped and a stainless steel enhanced
wrist, shoulders are IMHO worse. They're never the same,
forever. The wrist was more painful and hugely expensive but
works as well as new now. Other pins, plates, fractures were
significantly less trouble and also healed unremarkably.

Then again I've never broken a femur like Jay and hope to
never form an opinion on that subject.

Frank Krygowski

May 14, 2016, 11:46:35 AM5/14/16
Not quite. You said buying a bike for an old lady to ride sedately on
the road is a problem. If my friend wanted a bike designed just for
that, it would be no problem at all; she'd have her choice of dozens of
"comfort bikes." Those bikes are dominating bike shop stock around here.

>> Short version: Nope, most cyclists don't crank along at 30 kph. 15 kph
>> is more like it.
>
> Well, I suppose that I cannot say categorically that everyone is
> cranking along at 30 kph but I can say categorically that I am
> cranking along at 25 - 28 kph and most of the bicycles I see are going
> faster then I am.
>
> So maybe it is 29 kph?

A few years ago when the topic came up, I noted that my flat ground
cruising speed (e.g. when biking to work) was about 19 mph, or 30 kph.
But that was significantly faster than what other people mentioned, and
certainly faster than most of my fellow club members.

I've since slowed significantly. But if I encounter a same-direction
cyclist on a road ride, it's almost always because I'm passing them, not
vice-versa. And on bike trails, where most people haul their car then
ride out and back, it's not even close. I'd guess that 12 mph on flat
ground is typical for those riders.

My guess for overall, average adult cycling speed in America would be no
higher than 10 mph. That's 16 kph. (I actually suspect its less.)

--
- Frank Krygowski

Frank Krygowski

May 14, 2016, 11:55:35 AM5/14/16
In the days when curriculum was still being developed for LAB's
bicycling education courses, there was a proposal to include exercises
in how to fall. They were proposed for course #2, and the students
would have ridden their bike on grass and practiced purposely diving off.

I thought the idea was nuts, and was glad it never passed. I do think a
person can learn to fall and tumble in a way to reduce injury potential,
but I think it needs to happen when a person's a teenager or younger.

On a bike, I think it's far more valuable to spend the time learning to
anticipate problems and ride in a way to reduce the potential for falling.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Sir Ridesalot

May 14, 2016, 12:02:26 PM5/14/16
Learning to fall? It's NEVER too late to learn how to fall. The bicycle racing team I was on taught how to fall so that chances of being hurt were much lower. Also, most martial arts teach how to fall very early in their courses. Otherwise the new student would get hurt when throws were being taught.

Cheers

Duane

May 14, 2016, 2:20:38 PM5/14/16
Yeah, like I said I learned it as a kid playing football. Didn't mean to
trigger the Danger! Danger! auto response thing.

--
duane

Frank Krygowski

May 14, 2016, 3:13:56 PM5/14/16
I can see learning to fall for an activity that will involve lots of
falls, like martial arts. It was a big part of judo class when I was
younger. I suppose it might be worth it for crit racers.

But ordinary riding? On-road, I've had two moving falls since 1972. I
concentrated instead on learning to avoid situations where I might fall.

Heck, even mountain biking (back when I did a lot of that) none of my
many falls were serious.

Maybe I should ask: Does anyone here fall on-road even once a year? If
so, what in heck are you doing out there?

--
- Frank Krygowski

Andre Jute

May 14, 2016, 4:38:58 PM5/14/16
I gave up karate while still an undergraduate; I was too large and, though fast for a big man, too slow; I was embarrassed to be junior national champion because I was champion only because the little fast folk all had flu; I was team reserve because I had a media profile and gave good copy. But I still do a beautiful breakfall when I fall off my bike. My collarbones are good and my wrists too, but I've found that the what is difficult for a cyclist not to break, no matter how controlled he is, nor how fast his reflexes, are his little fingers. Both of mine have been broken more than once.

Andre Jute
The roads are hungry

John B.

May 15, 2016, 12:13:54 AM5/15/16
On Sat, 14 May 2016 11:24:44 -0000 (UTC), Duane <sp...@flarn.com>
wrote:
I just crashed this morning so my thoughts on the subject are fairly
fresh and I'm not sure whether teaching falling would be of use in
what, at least in my experience, is a typical bike crash.

This morning I got lost and was pedaling along at, probably 22 - 24
kph and trying to read signs to find out how to get back on course.
There was a small crevasse between the road pavement and the concrete
edge and curb.

I caught the front wheel in the crevasse that was about 1-1/2 inches
wide and probably about the same depth. I consciously remember seeing
the tire in the crevasse and my next memory is laying the ground.

I don't believe that falling lessons would have been of any help.
--
cheers,

John B.

John B.

May 15, 2016, 12:57:24 AM5/15/16
On Sat, 14 May 2016 11:46:29 -0400, Frank Krygowski
O.K., I apologies. I should have said that, "As Frank has noted,
buying a bicycle, "that she wants", for a nice old lady to ride
sedately along the road is posing a bit of a problem.... they don't
seem to be so common these days."

>>> Short version: Nope, most cyclists don't crank along at 30 kph. 15 kph
>>> is more like it.
>>
>> Well, I suppose that I cannot say categorically that everyone is
>> cranking along at 30 kph but I can say categorically that I am
>> cranking along at 25 - 28 kph and most of the bicycles I see are going
>> faster then I am.
>>
>> So maybe it is 29 kph?
>
>A few years ago when the topic came up, I noted that my flat ground
>cruising speed (e.g. when biking to work) was about 19 mph, or 30 kph.
>But that was significantly faster than what other people mentioned, and
>certainly faster than most of my fellow club members.
>
>I've since slowed significantly. But if I encounter a same-direction
>cyclist on a road ride, it's almost always because I'm passing them, not
>vice-versa. And on bike trails, where most people haul their car then
>ride out and back, it's not even close. I'd guess that 12 mph on flat
>ground is typical for those riders.
>
>My guess for overall, average adult cycling speed in America would be no
>higher than 10 mph. That's 16 kph. (I actually suspect its less.)

Well, I went for my usual Sunday ride this morning, and, because of
this discussion I paid more attention then usual. I saw, perhaps, 10
people going or coming back from the market on bicycles, most of whom
were riding on the sidewalks at, perhaps 10 KPH, perhaps slower. I
also saw, again perhaps, 50 or more people riding on the roadway, I
passed two, who later passed me :-) and all the rest passed me. I was
moving, generally, at around 24 - 28 kph. My average for a 45 Km.
ride, which included getting lost and one crash and one flat tire, was
19.8 kph, which pretty much compares with the speeds that I noted as I
find that my average will usually be about 5 km slower then the speeds
I note while I'm riding.

So, my findings, today, are that the usual sports bicycle rider here
is probably averaging something like 25 kph in Bangkok traffic and
there are others, doing their shopping at a much slower speed. If you
want to average ALL cyclists then say 50 @ 30 kph and 10 @ 10 kph is
an average of 26.6 kph.
--
cheers,

John B.

Graham

May 15, 2016, 6:04:12 AM5/15/16

"Frank Krygowski" <frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:nh7t6t$8u1$1...@dont-email.me...
> On 5/14/2016 12:02 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

[snip]

> Maybe I should ask: Does anyone here fall on-road even once a year? If
> so, what in heck are you doing out there?

On average, looking back, about once every two years or 15,000 miles. Almost always during winter training and due to loss of traction incidents. I live in a hilly area with steep climbs and descents, some through wooded areas, and occasionally come across gravel washed across the road on a bend, sheep shit, an unexpected patch of ice where water has flowed over a road and whilst in general the road is clear of ice these thicker areas can remain. Under such circumstances there is no way of avoiding these things as they tend to be all the way across the road. The only way to avoid crashing would be not to train in such areas in winter or to potter down each descent just in case. There are also wet leaves. I have come off a couple of times at least going up a steep climb out of the saddle when the back wheel has just spun out. These crashes hurt more than those at speed. I have come off after a clash of wheels in a bunch. I have even come off on ice whilst turning from one road into another travelling out of town. One road had been salted the other had not but both just looked wet.

Those of us who train in more challenging environments take it for granted we will come off now and again hence the helmet, padded gloves etc. In nearly all circumstances the injuries sustained are minor although the older I get the less I seem to bounce and the more it seems to hurt! My head has hit and/or slid across the tarmac on a few occasions when I have been thankful for the helmet. No thank god it saved my life more that it is not part of my head or face I am leaving on the tarmac. Similarly with the palms of my hands and the gloves. Fortunately no broken bones. For some reason I seem to keep my arms in when I go down which usually means the impact is taken successively on the ankle, knee, hip, elbow and shoulder. Plenty of scars to prove it. I am not sure this is a good or a bad thing. It definitely saves breaking the wrists and collar bones. Bruises and gravel rash are only temporary.

Cheers,

Graham.

---

Duane

May 15, 2016, 9:04:16 PM5/15/16
Phil W Lee <ph...@lee-family.me.uk> wrote:
> John B. <slocom...@gmail.xyz> considered Sun, 15 May 2016 11:57:21
> It seems that not many LBSs stock touring or audax bikes, which seems
> to be the kind of bike that would suit the requirements.

Andrew recommended a Bianchi Volpe that sounded like it would serve well.
Mine could take 32s though I preferred 28s. They seem to be readily
available in most places. A Specialized Roubaix would probably fit the bill
but I don't remember how wide a tire they take. I know several people that
use them for touring.

<snip>

--
duane

John B.

May 15, 2016, 9:16:11 PM5/15/16
On Mon, 16 May 2016 01:05:45 +0100, Phil W Lee <ph...@lee-family.me.uk>
wrote:

>John B. <slocom...@gmail.xyz> considered Sun, 15 May 2016 11:57:21
>It seems that not many LBSs stock touring or audax bikes, which seems
>to be the kind of bike that would suit the requirements.

I suspect that this is because there aren't many "audexers" :-)

The biggest bike dealer in Bangkok usually has one Trek X20 touring
bike and one Trek Tri-athlete bike on display. The rest of the floor
is taken up by a mix of mountain bikes, conventional road bikes and an
increasing number of folders and the road bike's with straight handle
bars (whatever you call them).

I suspect that this demonstrates when customer's are asking for.
>So it depends on how common utility bike use is compared to sporting
>bike use.
>When utility use dominates, the average would be much lower, which is
>pretty much what I said, and is certainly the situation in and around
>Cambridge.
>I'd say we probably have 50 utility cyclists for each sporting one,
>based on club memberships (for sporting riders) and number of bikes at
>colleges and seen commuting - both by formal count and my own visual
>observation (for utility users).

Yesterday (Sunday) there was a big bicycle ride in honor of the King's
70th year on the throne. Pictures published by the Bangkok Post (the
nation's largest English language newspaper) showed a predominance of
straight handle bars. My Sunday Ride, in contrast, shows a
predominance of conventional "road bars".
--
cheers,

John B.

Frank Krygowski

May 15, 2016, 10:22:06 PM5/15/16
I wonder if your response and Graham's give clues about the reasons
behind lots of crashes.

In your case, getting lost and trying to read signs while riding
distracted you from checking the road surface. I remember one friend
who was happily leading some bike tourists out of town, and was so
enthralled with talking to them that he ran into a barrier closing a
lane of a road, despite it being brightly painted. Another friend was
looking over his shoulder talking to a buddy when a car stopped in front
of him. Yet another was trying to get his water bottle back in the cage
and dropped off the edge of a bike trail - an edge that wouldn't have
been there if the trail met design standards.

In each of those cases, some distraction triggered the crash.

Graham account says he's willing to ride too fast for conditions for
purposes of training. Similarly, I knew a guy who crashed badly on our
club's century ride when I was running it. He was trying to keep up
with a very fast team as they rounded a turn onto a bridge. They were
riding at nine tenths, he was at eleven tenths. Another friend, when he
was probably in his 50s, decided he and his new mountain bike could
handle a short dropoff descent just like the experienced mountain bikers
did, but he was wrong, and paid for it with a broken rib. And some
young guy I didn't know once came on a challenging mountain bike ride
with cockiness that greatly exceeded skill. He tried to set the group
record for a long jump off a sort of ramp, but paid for it with his
collar bone.

In each of those cases, pushing too hard, or a "no guts no glory"
attitude triggered the crash.

Then there's the combination. I saw one new rider crash on a club ride.
On a very bumpy downhill that we were probably all taking too fast,
his water bottle bounced out of its cage, because he did a bad job of
picking a line through the potholes. He watched to see where is bottle
went as he braked hard, right into a deep pothole. He was both
distracted and riding above his skill level in order to keep up with the
group.

Seems to me that these attention or attitude problems might be big
contributors to lots of crashes, but I don't remember seeing them
discussed in any safety literature.

--
- Frank Krygowski

James

May 15, 2016, 10:50:04 PM5/15/16
On 14/05/16 03:08, Andre Jute wrote:
> On Friday, May 13, 2016 at 4:45:53 PM UTC+1, jbeattie wrote:
>> ...hit some pot hole or other road discontinuity and . . . whap.
>> That happened to me without the booze (pot hole under water on
>> flooded road), and I had a concussion, small facial laceration and
>> an AC separation. I got a sling, but I wasn't that diligent wearing
>> it. I think my helmet helped mitigate the injuries based on
>> distribution, e.g. no forehead or scalp injury.
>>
>> -- Jay Beattie.
>
> That's when a helmet earns its keep, keeping you pretty despite
> stupidity or bad luck.

Except bicycle helmets don't keep your face pretty, and a face plant is
not all that uncommon.

--
JS

James

May 15, 2016, 10:59:12 PM5/15/16
On 13/05/16 18:55, John B. wrote:
> On Fri, 13 May 2016 17:53:47 +1000, James <james.e...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 13/05/16 13:55, Frank Krygowski wrote:
>>

>>> But as usual, this thread has morphed. The original point, by James, was
>>> that "cyclists are not at significantly higher risk of a head injury
>>> than pedestrians or any other road user group."
>>
>> That is once they have reached the ER.
>>
>> Then someone posted fatality and KSI per billion km figures for
>> pedestrians and cyclists.
>>
>> And while the fatality figures are close to the same for each, the KSI
>> figures shows cyclists are about twice as likely to end up in the ER on
>> a per km basis.
>>
>> However, as cyclists cover those kms, say, 4 times faster than
>> pedestrians, the risk figures must be modified to compare on a more
>> reasonable per hour or trip basis.
>>
>> ISTM then, cyclists are about at 2 x 4 = 8 times greater risk of KSI on
>> a per hour or trip basis (assuming a trip time is the same for both).
>>
>> Perhaps 7 out of those 8 extra KSI's are trivial injuries? Here's hoping.
>
> The problem is the risk a factor of kilometers ridden or of hours
> spent on the bike, or of some other factor?

Yes. Good point. As the majority of collisions with motor vehicles
occur at intersections, the risk factor may be related to the number of
intersections a person rides through per trip. It wouldn't be difficult
to estimate this for various environments, like typical urban, suburban
and rural, for example.

> Does some bozo riding on the wrong side of the road have any
> correlation with kilometers traveled?

That type of thing doesn't appear to hit the news here.

> I read an Australian study that showed that a significant number of
> Australian bicycle accidents are associated with high blood-alcohol
> levels.

Again, I don't recall ever reading a media report that mentioned the
cyclist was intoxicated.

> The closing lines article reporting the CHP study are "Bikers were
> also found at fault for failure to yield, disobeying signs, improperly
> turning, and speeding, but in all those 2,759 cases where they were
> found to be at fault, it was still a bike up against a damn car"
>
> Kilometers? Cars? Bicycles?

Police statistics from South Australia show drivers are at fault in
nearly 4 out of every 5 collisions. That would tend to indicate that
wrong way riding and riding while drunk are not significant.

--
JS

James

May 15, 2016, 11:49:53 PM5/15/16
On 13/05/16 11:08, John B. wrote:
> On Thu, 12 May 2016 15:43:42 +1000, James <james.e...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 12/05/16 10:05, John B. wrote:
>>>
>>> But, if you fall over while stationary the chances of being injured is
>>> very small while if you fall while going 30 KPM you are far more
>>> likely to be hurt.
>>
>> That very much depends.
>>
>> If you fall from standing position like a plank, as have a few young
>> folks here when king hit by a drunken fool, there is a very real risk of
>> a fatal head wound.
>>
>> OTOH, I've slid off the bike in a race on a wet road going through a
>> corner, and suffered no more than a very light graze on my ankle and hip.
>>
>> I have crashed at higher speed in races, and suffered no more than a
>> jarred wrist.
>>
>> What greatly increases risk of serious injury is particularly how you
>> fall, and what solid objects you collide with before you stop.
>
> That wasn't the point at all. I said (above) that the chances of being
> hurt increased with an increases in speed. Not that one would
> automatically be severally damaged at any speed over XYZ.

For cyclists, prove it.

I don't disagree, but I haven't seen statistical evidence in support of
your hypothesis.

--
JS

James

May 15, 2016, 11:54:23 PM5/15/16
On 14/05/16 02:23, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, May 9, 2016 at 8:58:38 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
>> What I find most refreshing is the absence of helmet agenda, and
>> interesting that pedestrians appear to have a *higher* incidence of
>> head injury than cyclists in the EU.
>>
>> I don't know what the helmet wearing rate is like across the EU,
>> but it may be safe to say that cyclists are not at significantly
>> higher risk of a head injury than pedestrians or any other road
>> user group. In other words, to target cyclists for mandatory
>> helmet laws seems like class discrimination.
>>
>> http://nrso.ntua.gr/geyannis/images/stories/ge/Publications/Papers-Conferences/geyannis-pc235.pdf
>>

> James - Almost ALL you will get here is opinions based on other
> people's opinions.

Opinion and anecdata, yes I'm well aware.

> Since I studied helmets since they first came out (as safety director
> of the American Federation of Motorcycles) and as an engineer I can
> quite accurately tell you that helmets offer extremely small
> protection. And they WILL NOT decrease Traumatic Brain Injury though
> they certainly can reduce things like road rash on your head and VERY
> minor head injuries such as a bump and the like.
>
> Helmets have one overwhelming limitation - the size with which a
> person can put up with. And the weight with which the human neck and
> spine can support. (no that's not two points it is one).
>
> Because of this EXTREMELY limited size the Snell Foundation set their
> limits on attempting to prevent skull fractures NOT from collisions
> but simply from falling over.
>
> While all of this sounds good it turns out that the overwhelming
> majority of Traumatic Brain Injuries is NOT from skull fractures but
> concussion which often causes permanent disabilities.
>
> And the SAME standards which make the helmet strong enough to keep
> you from skull fracture make the helmet worthless at preventing
> concussion - the impact resistance is too high. If you make the
> material softer to prevent concussions the helmet is FAR too small to
> pass the testing standards and at the size they are they are too thin
> to effectively prevent concussions.
>
> So no matter HOW many doctors and nurses will swear that helmets
> saved a life they most certainly did not. The head simply did not
> strike hard enough for Traumatic Brain Injury. And that is the
> general case. You normally protect yourself in a fall so that your
> head does not strike but that most of the energy is absorbed gouging
> large sections of skin off of your hands, arms and legs.
>
> Welcome to the real world.

I have no disagreement with what you wrote.

--
JS

Joy Beeson

May 16, 2016, 12:01:47 AM5/16/16
On Sun, 15 May 2016 11:13:50 +0700, John B. <slocom...@gmail.xyz>
wrote:

> I caught the front wheel in the crevasse that was about 1-1/2 inches
> wide and probably about the same depth. I consciously remember seeing
> the tire in the crevasse and my next memory is laying the ground.

I described my diversion-type fall as "God mistook me for a mosquito"
-- no interval at all between "oh, no, our wheels are going to touch"
and having just bounced off the pavement.

I've been very sensitive to things that might steer my bike ever
since!

James

May 16, 2016, 12:03:41 AM5/16/16
On 14/05/16 04:29, russell...@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Friday, May 13, 2016 at 11:23:56 AM UTC-5, cycl...@gmail.com
> wrote:
>>
>> So no matter HOW many doctors and nurses will swear that helmets
>> saved a life they most certainly did not. The head simply did not
>> strike hard enough for Traumatic Brain Injury. And that is the
>> general case. You normally protect yourself in a fall so that your
>> head does not strike but that most of the energy is absorbed
>> gouging large sections of skin off of your hands, arms and legs.
>>

> It is very apparent you have never ever been in an actual bike
> accident. I will agree the instinct is to stick out your hands and
> arms to protect your head. Given enough time to react. Such as
> failing to get your feet out of the pedals and toppling over on the
> side of the road. You will stick out your hands to brace your fall.
> But in almost all other accidents, there is no time to react
> consciously by sticking out your hands to break your fall. A car
> turns in front of you while riding. You hit the fender, roll onto
> the hood and windshield, fall to the ground. Fraction of a second.
> No time to stick out your hands to protect your head. I'd suggest
> you learn a bit more about how the real world works.

One of the reasons roadie cyclists usually wear gloves is because their
hands usually suffer in a crash. Without the gloves, large chunks of
skin get taken off, and this makes life very unpleasant for several
weeks while the skin heals.

I speak from experience, and I still prefer not to wear gloves unless
I'm in a race or it is hot sweaty weather and the gloves improve grip.

The fact that hands are usually damaged would tend to indicate that the
rider - whether consciously or not - put their hands out to break their
fall.

Last car I collided with, the driver failed to give way and I clipped
the back corner while the back wheel was airborne with the front brake
hard on. I went over the bars and tumbled down the road, rolling
several times. Imagine seeing sky, earth, sky, earth, sky, earth.
Though my knee dented the car pretty well, I didn't suffer any serious
injuries. Had the bike not been a little bashed up, I could have ridden
home.

So yes, speaking from experience, having had crashes out riding and
racing, with and without cars involved, many people put their hands out
instinctively, or can be trained to.

--
JS

James

May 16, 2016, 12:07:41 AM5/16/16
Having your hand touch the ground first is often how you control your
descent to initiate a forward roll.

It's when you land hard on your shoulder first that you break it.

--
JS

Sir Ridesalot

May 16, 2016, 2:36:07 AM5/16/16
Or you put your hand out, the arm is straight and the shock of impact runs up the arm to the shoulder and the shoulder breaks. That's exactly how a lot of broken shoulder bones get broken.

It's also why we were taught to fall in a different way so that the hand/arm wouldn't cause shock to travel to the shoulder and break it.

Cheers

John B.

May 16, 2016, 4:21:05 AM5/16/16
Yes, certainly. The slot in the road was unusual, true, but I should
have seen it.

I was actually trying to make out what two large overhead signs, with
arrows pointing,ahead of me said. After the crash I discovered that
probable the reason I couldn't quite make out what they said was
because they were written in Thai :-(
When I was in the Air Force the standard number listed in the Safety
Manual was that 2% of all accidents were actually an "act of God", the
other 98% were due to the unsafe acts of man.

While I wouldn't contest the 2% I do believe that nearly all accidents
are the result of someone doing something wrong, in the sense that had
they not done what they did they wouldn't have had the "accident".
--
cheers,

John B.

John B.

May 16, 2016, 6:10:05 AM5/16/16
On Mon, 16 May 2016 13:49:50 +1000, James <james.e...@gmail.com>
I believe that simple physics should be adequate. If you double the
speed at which a mass is traveling the kinetic energy goes up by a
factor of 4.

--
cheers,

John B.

Duane

May 16, 2016, 6:21:33 AM5/16/16
Or separate it.

Like someone up thread said it has a lot to do with whether you see it
coming. I've had another fall where I hit a bump and the wheel went
sideways. Didn't know I fell until I realized I was staring up at the
trees. I'm told I went down sideways and landed on my side. I guess so
since the side of my helmet was cracked through.

--
duane

Frank Krygowski

May 16, 2016, 10:40:34 AM5/16/16
Then I do think it's very different from the U.S.

Especially inside cities, it's extremely common to see wrong-way riders,
people riding on sidewalks, etc. Likewise, it's common to see cyclists
violate traffic lights - not necessarily by totally ignoring them, but
frequently by slowing, looking both ways and accelerating through if
they think it's safe enough.

I'm not saying those people-on-bikes are a majority of cyclists, but
they're far from unusual. In the center of our city (not my suburban
village, mind you) if you see a middle-aged low-income person on a bike,
he's almost certain to be riding facing traffic.

Wrong way riding does seem to correlate to a degree with income level;
but many times I've passed adults in well-to-do suburban neighborhoods
riding on the wrong side of the road.

They're usually nicely helmeted, though, so they're "safe." :-/

Oh, and lights at night? Night riding is really rare around here. I
guess people actually believe the stickers that come on the top tubes of
many new bikes, that include the warning "Never Ride at Night!" But if
I do see a night cyclist with a light, it's unusual enough to be a
pleasant surprise.

I wish all the above were not true, but that's what things look like
around here.

--
- Frank Krygowski

James

May 16, 2016, 6:21:05 PM5/16/16
Refs here:
http://www.executivestyle.com.au/finding-fault-when-cyclists-and-motorists-collide-ghwwze

> Especially inside cities, it's extremely common to see wrong-way riders,
> people riding on sidewalks, etc. Likewise, it's common to see cyclists
> violate traffic lights - not necessarily by totally ignoring them, but
> frequently by slowing, looking both ways and accelerating through if
> they think it's safe enough.

A study here showed that cyclists were only marginally more inclined
than drivers to run red lights. More here:
http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/3857163.htm

And I recall reading that those who do ride through do not seem to place
themselves at great risk, according to crash statistics.

Riding on a sidewalk (footpath here) is not generally life threatening.
It is allowed in most Australian states and territories, with few side
effects.

> I'm not saying those people-on-bikes are a majority of cyclists, but
> they're far from unusual. In the center of our city (not my suburban
> village, mind you) if you see a middle-aged low-income person on a bike,
> he's almost certain to be riding facing traffic.
>
> Wrong way riding does seem to correlate to a degree with income level;
> but many times I've passed adults in well-to-do suburban neighborhoods
> riding on the wrong side of the road.
>
> They're usually nicely helmeted, though, so they're "safe." :-/
>
> Oh, and lights at night? Night riding is really rare around here. I
> guess people actually believe the stickers that come on the top tubes of
> many new bikes, that include the warning "Never Ride at Night!" But if
> I do see a night cyclist with a light, it's unusual enough to be a
> pleasant surprise.
>
> I wish all the above were not true, but that's what things look like
> around here.

While I used to ride regularly at night in Melbourne, I noticed a lot of
unlit or poorly bicycles. Interestingly this does not seem to be a
significant cause of collisions. Likewise in the UK.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2009/dec/15/cycling-bike-accidents-study

--
JS

Frank Krygowski

May 16, 2016, 9:41:09 PM5/16/16
I suppose this may vary quite a bit from country to country. Cycling
cultures probably vary as much as other cultures. There have been quite
a few similar studies in the U.S. While I haven't read most of them in
detail, the most common finding seems to be that in the U.S., fault is
split quite close to 50-50.

I'm on a local committee that investigates fatal crashes, but I've seen
police reports from non-fatal, even minor injury crashes. One problem
that's cropped up is the crash report form used by the police. While
there is room for sketches of the situation, narration, etc., most of
the form is taken up by check boxes and boxes in which the officer is
required indicate one choice from a small table. For example, "Road
condition" is a choice from dry, wet, snow, ice, sand, water, slush, etc.

The problem regarding bike lights is that for a bicyclist, there's _one_
place for the cop to choose "Safety equipment," from the following list:
09= none used; 10=helmet used; 11=protective pads (elbows, knees,
etc.) 12=reflective clothing 13=lighting. So, if the cop sees a
helmet (or even elbow pads!) he's likely to use the space for that
choice. In any computer-based analysis of the reports, we don't get to
know if the cyclist had lights at night, despite those being legally
required at night. It's just weird.

FWIW, I'm a (minor) member of a team that's lobbying to produce a better
form. But bureaucracy moves slowly indeed.

ISTR a claim by Florida bike and ped planner Mighk Wilson (whom I've
met) that in Florida at least, unlit night cyclists are heavily
over-represented in serious car-bike crashes. Can't find that claim
now, but this article is interesting:

http://www.floridabicycle.org/freedomfromfear.html

- Frank Krygowski

Andre Jute

May 17, 2016, 6:13:31 PM5/17/16
Mmm. My last two face plants were near enough ten years apart so I'm not as expert on face plants as some of the incompetent and careless and reckless riders on RBT, and I retain the breakfall reflexes drilled into me in my athletic youth, which might account for something. But in neither case was my face marked, nor my glasses broken. (In one incident I broke both my little fingers. A breakfall from a bicycle is never as tidy as in the dojo. In fact, in the last one, the bloody bicycle did me more damage than the road, by scraping my shin.) The secret? A well-fitted and tightly strapped up, rounded helmet with a fairly wide visor and a thick navy-cut beard. Yeah, yeah, I know you fellows don't want to hear that, but I've been in plastic surgery, and it is really rather painful for a long time and then severely uncomfortable for an even longer time, and, if you're less confident and beloved by women than I am, your self-confidence may not recover either, so I reckon the right helmet is good value, especially since I would anyway wear a hat every time I leave the house because I'm so fairskinned that I burn easily even here in Ireland.

Andre Jute
Relentless rigour -- Gaius Germanicus Caesar