Protection for really dangerous cyclists...er... I mean cyclists riding really dangerously...er... you know what I mean. You got one of these, Krygo?

Andre Jute

Jul 9, 2014, 6:07:04 AM7/9/14
Protection for really dangerous cyclists...er... I mean cyclists riding really dangerously...er... you know what I mean. You got one of these, Krygo?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/r-pm/protectionjuly2014/neck-braces?utm_source=SilverpopMailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=IRE_08_07_14_extra10_%281%29&utm_content=&_%24ja=tsid%3A41391%257Ccn%3AIRE_08_07_14_extra10_%281%29

Andre Jute
Who finds bicycling quite safe enough

Jeff Liebermann

Jul 9, 2014, 11:47:29 AM7/9/14

Frank Krygowski

Jul 9, 2014, 12:27:28 PM7/9/14
Careful, Jeff. You're going to stir up the anti-body-armor zealots.

Why, if only _one_ skinned knee can be saved...!

--
- Frank Krygowski

Jeff Liebermann

Jul 9, 2014, 1:27:31 PM7/9/14
On Wed, 09 Jul 2014 12:27:28 -0400, Frank Krygowski
<frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Careful, Jeff. You're going to stir up the anti-body-armor zealots.

Many years ago, I owned a Hobie 14 catamaran sailboat. For a joke, I
decided to stage a photo of a well equipped Hobie sailor. Standard
accessories were the standard wet suit, booties, floatation vest, and
paddle. I added a sextant, radio, navigation aids, flare gun,
sunscreen, sunglasses, emergency beer, elbow pads, knee pads, bicycle
helmet, survival kit, tow line, air horn, etc. My accomplice took
about 20 35mm photos of me as the well equipped Hobie sailor, with
plans to send the photos to some magazine for the April Fools issue.
Well, the photographer mangled the exposure and focus, while the photo
lab mangled the negatives. Sorry, no photos. I can imagine someone
doing the same for the well equipped bicycle rider (but it won't be
me).

>Why, if only _one_ skinned knee can be saved...!

One has to draw the line between safety and absurdity somewhere. The
current discussion is about where to draw that line, not about the
need for safety. Once we establish a standard for the minimum
acceptable damage while bicycle riding, we can then move on to what
equipment is required to meet that minimum. It's much like the FDA
problem with food contamination. It's not possible to reduce
contamination to zero, so they set acceptable minimum standards for
things like the amount of insect debris found in foods.
<http://www.fda.gov/food/guidanceregulation/guidancedocumentsregulatoryinformation/sanitationtransportation/ucm056174.htm>
We can do much the same with bicycle riding. By simply defining the
number of acceptable skinned knees, accidents, and fatalities that are
considered acceptable per year, we can then design safety equipment
and facilities that targets those numbers.

Andre Jute

Jul 9, 2014, 4:30:03 PM7/9/14
I'm not so sure some of the armor the kids wear to go offroading isn't fashion-wear, likely to break more bones than it saves. There's a tremendous market for that stuff, judging by how often Chainreactioncycles sends out offers on it.

Andre Jute

Jeff Liebermann

Jul 9, 2014, 7:01:19 PM7/9/14
On Wed, 9 Jul 2014 13:30:03 -0700 (PDT), Andre Jute
<fiul...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I'm not so sure some of the armor the kids wear to go offroading
>isn't fashion-wear, likely to break more bones than it saves.

Sorry, but you have it backwards. The bicycle is an accessory to the
latest fashion apparel.
<http://www.wwd.com/eye/lifestyle/spin-cycle-1917655>
Still not a believer?
<http://www.wwd.com/fashion-news/fashion-scoops/chain-gang-6948461>
<http://www.clearmag.com/martone-cycling-fashion-ride/>
"Every Martone bike has a red chain, a distinct brand signature
and not-so-discreet wink at the fashion world."

BMX fashions are quite different from what other riders wear. Since
BMX rider tend to be very young, the parent have a vested interest in
insuring their survival. Therefore, much of the apparel is actually
designed to be genuinely protective. Even the best BMX rider will
crash at least once during an event, making protection a necessity.

The BMX helmet design is unique. It's much more like a motorcycle
helmet than a bicycle helmet. However, what distinguishes is from
both is that it's both color and fit coordinated with the rest of the
armor. Wearing the armor without the helmet makes the rider look odd,
thus acting as incentive to wear it. It also adds protection for the
neck and mouth, which are absent in the typical bicycle helmet. The
mouth protection is especially important so that spectators cannot
year the kid screaming in fright. My guess(tm) is that if the bicycle
safety factions win, we'll soon be wearing something like BMX helmets.

Bicycle fashions and fashions in general do follow a pattern. I most
cases, the next big fashion thing is usually whatever the "out crowd"
or the disaffected parts of society are wearing. Follow the losers,
not the winners. Street fashions have followed that pattern for as
long as I can recall. (My father owned a lingerie factory in Smog
Angeles). For example, nobody wore a hoodie until the Unabomber was
sketched wearing one. Then, everyone wanted to look like the
Unabomber:
<https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=unabomber+hoodie>

The odds are very much against me predicting the next big street or
bicycle fashion trend, but that's never stopped me. My guess(tm) is a
tie in with warm weather Arab garb (global warming attire?). We
already have the men's 3 day old beard look and high fashion keffiyeh:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keffiyeh#Fashion_trend>
Add the traditional thawb:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thawb>
and a disguised bicycle helmet under the keffiyeh and we have the next
big thing. Like the Jewish version of the Christmas tree (Hannukah
bush), fashion can be copied:
<http://www.jpost.com/Israel/Heads-up-Its-the-new-Israeli-keffiyeh>

>There's a tremendous market for that stuff, judging by how often
>Chainreactioncycles sends out offers on it.
>Andre Jute

Such flyers only advertise high margin items and loss leaders. Or,
maybe they're trying to build the market. Good things sell
themselves. Crap requires sales promotion.

John B. Slocomb

Jul 9, 2014, 10:28:04 PM7/9/14
On Wed, 09 Jul 2014 12:27:28 -0400, Frank Krygowski
<frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Its available
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/body-armor

And I talked with the site and they tell me that if we can sell any
they will give us 2%.

Get Cracking!
--
Cheers,

John B.

John B. Slocomb

Jul 9, 2014, 10:34:54 PM7/9/14
On Wed, 09 Jul 2014 16:01:19 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com>
wrote:
I thought it was called a "Menorah".. many branches, candles.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Jeff Liebermann

Jul 10, 2014, 12:28:33 AM7/10/14
On Thu, 10 Jul 2014 09:34:54 +0700, John B. Slocomb
<sloc...@invalid.com> wrote:

>>Like the Jewish version of the Christmas tree (Hannukah
>>bush), fashion can be copied:
>><http://www.jpost.com/Israel/Heads-up-Its-the-new-Israeli-keffiyeh>

>I thought it was called a "Menorah".. many branches, candles.

Yes, there's the menorah:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menorah_%28Hanukkah%29>
However, when I was a very young brat, all I saw were the brightly lit
and elaborately decorated Christmas trees of my friends. The puny
little menorah with its tiny candles just wasn't as appealing as the
Christmas tree. So, I demanded and eventually got a "Hanukkah bush".
As I vaguely recall, I had to go on a hunger strike or something
similar to underscore my non-negotiable demands. However, my parents
made sure that I got to setup the bush, improvise the decorations,
water the trunk, sweep up the fallen needles, and saw it up for
disposal when it eventually died. That was far too much work. So,
next year, it was back to the menorah and no Hanukkah bush.

Jeff Liebermann

Jul 10, 2014, 12:32:15 AM7/10/14
On Wed, 09 Jul 2014 21:28:33 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com>
wrote:

Sorry, I forgot the obligatory irreverent URLs:
<http://www.menorah.com/catalog2/shopexd.asp?id=4226>
<http://www.menorah.com/catalog2/shopexd.asp?id=107>

John B. Slocomb

Jul 10, 2014, 4:07:55 AM7/10/14
wrote:

>On Thu, 10 Jul 2014 09:34:54 +0700, John B. Slocomb
><sloc...@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>>>Like the Jewish version of the Christmas tree (Hannukah
>>>bush), fashion can be copied:
>>><http://www.jpost.com/Israel/Heads-up-Its-the-new-Israeli-keffiyeh>
>
>>I thought it was called a "Menorah".. many branches, candles.
>
>Yes, there's the menorah:
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menorah_%28Hanukkah%29>
>However, when I was a very young brat, all I saw were the brightly lit
>and elaborately decorated Christmas trees of my friends. The puny
>little menorah with its tiny candles just wasn't as appealing as the
>Christmas tree. So, I demanded and eventually got a "Hanukkah bush".
>As I vaguely recall, I had to go on a hunger strike or something
>similar to underscore my non-negotiable demands. However, my parents
>made sure that I got to setup the bush, improvise the decorations,
>water the trunk, sweep up the fallen needles, and saw it up for
>disposal when it eventually died. That was far too much work. So,
>next year, it was back to the menorah and no Hanukkah bush.

and who says that the "old folks" aren't smart :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Andre Jute

Jul 10, 2014, 10:00:27 AM7/10/14
Amazing the stuff you know, Jeff. Do we detect a secret, reckless hankering to join the BMX generation?

Andre Jute

Jeff Liebermann

Jul 10, 2014, 11:18:10 AM7/10/14
On Thu, 10 Jul 2014 07:00:27 -0700 (PDT), Andre Jute
<fiul...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Amazing the stuff you know, Jeff.

Knowledge is power. What that really means is that if you can figure
out how things work, why people do things, and what motivates them,
you can do (almost) anything.

Incidentally, knowing or experiencing something is fairly easy. People
do that all the time. Observing what really happened and explaining
it clearly is more difficult. I've led a fairly normal boring life
with little in the way of excitement. What I do is make the dull and
boring more interesting.

>Do we detect a secret, reckless hankering to join the BMX generation?

Hell no. I have no desire to become airborne on a small bicycle and
spend my time recovering from crash landings. Such things are best
done in a fixed wing aircraft or glider, not on a bicycle. They would
do better to study aeronautics and attach wings to their bicycles,
than to continue their futile attempts at flying and crash landing.
Fortunately, it seems that their safety devices are working well. I've
noticed that the condition of the BMX bicycle is generally far worse
than the condition of the rider. Those failing to wear proper safety
equipment are easily identified by the plaster cast on the arm or leg.
Those are probably the one's that tried downhill without brakes.
<http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/news/52061/video-viral:-down-hill-with-no-brakes>
Ummm... no thanks.

Dan O

Jul 10, 2014, 4:38:17 PM7/10/14
On Thursday, July 10, 2014 7:00:27 AM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:
> On Thursday, July 10, 2014 12:01:19 AM UTC+1, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

<snip>

> Amazing the stuff you know, Jeff. Do we detect a secret, reckless hankering to join the BMX generation?

I, too, was going to nominate him for Team Captain of the rbt
braintrust.

Frank Krygowski

Jul 10, 2014, 4:43:55 PM7/10/14
On 7/9/2014 10:28 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
> On Wed, 09 Jul 2014 12:27:28 -0400, Frank Krygowski wrote:
>>
>> Careful, Jeff. You're going to stir up the anti-body-armor zealots.
>>
>> Why, if only _one_ skinned knee can be saved...!
>
> Its available
> http://www.competitivecyclist.com/body-armor
>
> And I talked with the site and they tell me that if we can sell any
> they will give us 2%.
>
> Get Cracking!

2% commission?

Scharf must not be in on this yet. Otherwise we'd have heard about body
armor's "necessity" by now, though his "guerrilla marketing."

--
- Frank Krygowski

John B. Slocomb

Jul 10, 2014, 8:40:36 PM7/10/14
I was unfamiliar with the term "guerrilla marketing" so I looked up on
google. It appears similar to the old days when A&P and the IGA used
to have the Peas marked got to a 2 cents off discount if you brought
the certificate that you cut out of the morning's paper. The
description is a bit confusing as it latter seems to describe it is
"word of mouth" advertising.

Given that it appears to be one of the "New and Innovative" forms of
marketing it can't possibly be word of mouth advertising as that is
obviously the oldest form of marketing that man has devised what with
Ogg telling Ugg that Egg is the best flint point knapper in the
neighborhood.
--
Cheers,

John B.

John B. Slocomb

Jul 10, 2014, 9:49:26 PM7/10/14
The Spell Checker seems to be a bit off stride this morning:

the Peas marked got to a 2 cents off
should read
the Peas marked down to a 2 cents off
and
describe it is
as
describe it as
--
Cheers,

John B.

Andre Jute

Jul 11, 2014, 10:16:34 AM7/11/14
We could probably make up a killer trivia quiz team right here on RBT. Why, we have three guys (you, Gene 'n' me) who know what a Laverda is without first looking it up on Google.

Andre Jute
Data! Must have more data! -- a cute little robot in a movie whose* name I've forgotten

*I have a message for wannabe grammarians: Fuck off. That's a deliberate ambiguity between the robot as a person with a developing personality (the point of the film) and the possibly eponymous film.

Dan O

Jul 11, 2014, 12:07:43 PM7/11/14
On Friday, July 11, 2014 7:16:34 AM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:
> On Thursday, July 10, 2014 9:38:17 PM UTC+1, Dan O wrote:
> > On Thursday, July 10, 2014 7:00:27 AM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:
> > > On Thursday, July 10, 2014 12:01:19 AM UTC+1, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

> > > Amazing the stuff you know, Jeff. Do we detect a secret, reckless hankering to join the BMX generation?
>
> > I, too, was going to nominate him for Team Captain of the rbt
> > braintrust.
>
> We could probably make up a killer trivia quiz team right here on RBT. Why, we have three guys (you, Gene 'n' me) who know what a Laverda is without first looking it up on Google.
>
> Data! Must have more data! -- a cute little robot in a movie whose* name I've forgotten

The robot's name is "Number 5".

(No googling - Give me a point :-)

Andre Jute

Jul 11, 2014, 1:50:37 PM7/11/14
On Friday, July 11, 2014 5:07:43 PM UTC+1, Dan O wrote:
> On Friday, July 11, 2014 7:16:34 AM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:

> > > I, too, was going to nominate him for Team Captain of the rbt
>
> > > braintrust.
>

> > We could probably make up a killer trivia quiz team right here on RBT. Why, we have three guys (you, Gene 'n' me) who know what a Laverda is without first looking it up on Google.
>

> > Data! Must have more data! -- a cute little robot in a movie whose* name I've forgotten
>

> The robot's name is "Number 5".
>

> (No googling - Give me a point :-)

No cigar. You answered a question I didn't ask. I asked the name of the movie. You get the point if you know the name of the movie. No googling, like you say. -- Andre Jute

Frank Krygowski

Jul 11, 2014, 2:19:57 PM7/11/14
On Friday, July 11, 2014 10:16:34 AM UTC-4, Andre Jute wrote:

> We could probably make up a killer trivia quiz team right here on RBT. Why, we have three guys (you, Gene 'n' me) who know what a Laverda is without first looking it up on Google.

You're ignoring sampling bias. There are certainly more than three, probably many more. Some have learned not to bother reading much Jute.

- Frank Krygowski

Andre Jute

Jul 11, 2014, 4:24:16 PM7/11/14
On Friday, July 11, 2014 7:19:57 PM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> On Friday, July 11, 2014 10:16:34 AM UTC-4, Andre Jute wrote:
>
> > We could probably make up a killer trivia quiz team right here on RBT. Why, we have three guys (you, Gene 'n' me) who know what a Laverda is without first looking it up on Google.
>
> You're ignoring sampling bias.

Nope. The Jute Method is to count The Main Men What Count, the Old Reliables, and to the devil with the rest.

>There are certainly more than three, probably many more.

Well, two more who claimed to know something about Laverda, as their credentials for calling me a liar, were shown to be entirely ignorant of Laverda, and the time in which they were new. About as ignorant as you were of local conditions when you called me a liar for setting a personal record down a hill behind a truck. Try not to become more of a moron than you were born, Kryowski.

>Some have learned not to bother reading much Jute.

Thank god. It's a tiresome waste of time putting down worthless kibbitzers like you, and those two jerkoffs who screeched that they were *the* Laverda experts. Wannabe netbullies like you lot keep the real experts from posting here.

> - Frank Krygowski

Frank who? Oh, the guy who wanted to be a "national spokesman for bicycles". How's that going, Franki-boy? Especially now that people who look you up can see with what contempt you're treated on RBT, where you could have been the big man on campus if you had the slightest modicum of humanity or charm or sense.

You're such a pissant peasant, Krygowski.

Andre Jute

Dan O

Jul 11, 2014, 6:53:50 PM7/11/14
I double parsed the question to be sure the answer fit a valid
interpretation (but yeah - I did that because I picked up on what
you were really asking :-) hmmm... let me think...

"Short Circuit" (?)

Andre Jute

Jul 12, 2014, 12:42:14 PM7/12/14
Why didn't you say the house rules include double parsing? This is a suspicous circumstance. I've been robbed!

> "Short Circuit" (?)

On IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091949/?ref_=nv_sr_1 Right image and the actors ring the mnemonic bell:

Short Circuit (1986)
98 min - Comedy | Family | Sci-Fi - 9 May 1986 (USA)
Number 5 of a group of experimental robots in a lab is electrocuted, suddenly becomes intelligent, and escapes.
Director: John Badham
Writers: S.S. Wilson, Brent Maddock
Stars: Ally Sheedy, Steve Guttenberg, Fisher Stevens

Give that boy on the bicycle the prize!

Andre Jute

Dan O

Jul 12, 2014, 6:05:51 PM7/12/14
On Saturday, July 12, 2014 9:42:14 AM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:
> On Friday, July 11, 2014 11:53:50 PM UTC+1, Dan O wrote:
> > On Friday, July 11, 2014 10:50:37 AM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:
> > > On Friday, July 11, 2014 5:07:43 PM UTC+1, Dan O wrote:

<snip>

> > "Short Circuit" (?)
>
> On IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091949/?ref_=nv_sr_1 Right image and the actors ring the mnemonic bell:
>
> Short Circuit (1986)
> 98 min - Comedy | Family | Sci-Fi - 9 May 1986 (USA)
> Number 5 of a group of experimental robots in a lab is electrocuted, suddenly becomes intelligent, and escapes.
> Director: John Badham
> Writers: S.S. Wilson, Brent Maddock
> Stars: Ally Sheedy, Steve Guttenberg, Fisher Stevens
>
> Give that boy on the bicycle the prize!

Ally Sheedy is hot

Andre Jute

Jul 12, 2014, 6:47:42 PM7/12/14
En fuego, we sophisticated guys say, so we can't be accused of lusting after her. Aw, shucks, who am I bullshitting? When I was young, I'd just walk right up to the lady at a party, flex my abs (those days I wore shirts without any buttons, open to waistband and suits without pockets or buttons or belts the better to display my muscles) and say, "Would you like me to enrich your sex life beyond your fondest imagination?"

Andre Jute