Maybe I should have left the old chain on

deaco...@gmail.com

Aug 17, 2016, 9:54:36 PM8/17/16
I tend to get at least 5000 miles out of my 10 spd chains. I have a wipperman connect link keep the chain clean. Take it off dunk in OMS back on every say 500-700 miles just use cheap 3-1 oil.

So today about 6400 miles on the chain took it off seems to not really be stretched all pins line up on my metal ruler. But I go ahead put a new chain on and works fine no skipping and lining the two up exact same links. Over the whole chain just small difference maybe 3/16.

Now I am kinda of mad I was think I should have left it on I probably could have gone 8000. Tell me I did the right thing going early.

Deacon mark

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Aug 18, 2016, 6:42:47 AM8/18/16
Right. We agree.

Say, did nah yawl tear your penis off on a fence post ?

How'd that come off ?

Mike A Schwab

Aug 18, 2016, 12:11:50 PM8/18/16
If you change chains early enough, the cassette doesn't wear down.
10 speed Cassette US$25-40, Chain US$10-40.

Duane

Aug 18, 2016, 1:00:07 PM8/18/16
Yes, but if the chain isn't stretched?

I just had to replace a cassette because I was watching the chain wear
and it was good. After about 6000km I started to have some problems
shifting. A couple of the cogs in my cassette were worn. But the chain
still tested fine. This is a SRAM 11 speed with stock chain and
cassette. I changed the chain as well. I tested the chain with a ruler
and with one of those chain tools that showed it at .7.

But like I said, if the chain doesn't seem to be stretched, was that
what caused the cassette to wear? And if so, how do you determine
whether to replace the chain?

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Aug 18, 2016, 2:48:39 PM8/18/16
Change both reduce risks

James

Aug 18, 2016, 6:23:49 PM8/18/16
Keep the old chain. Ride the new chain. When you take it off, compare
it to the old chain. When they are both a similar length, you could put
the old chain back on for a while, and start swapping chains every
1000miles or so.

The cassette will wear eventually, regardless of how often you put on a
new chain.

With so little wear after 6400miles already, you'll probably go
15,000miles using 2 chains and one cassette.

--
JS

Ned Mantei

Aug 19, 2016, 5:12:53 AM8/19/16
Until now I have replaced the chain on principle every year and a half
or so. However, I recently bought a Park Tool "chain checker" to make it
easier to see when the chain is worn, so maybe the interval will change.
I would replace the chain when the chain checker is at "replace soon"
rather than "replace now".

The cassette will in any event eventually wear out. I change the
cassette (or chainwheel) when I notice that a new chain isn't engaging
properly. Typically after about 3 changes of chain.

Ned

John B.

Aug 19, 2016, 5:33:27 AM8/19/16
Amazon seems to be selling Shimano HG53 9-speed chains for $16.
Divided by a year and a half, or 547 days that is an amortized cost of
about $0.03 a day :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Duane

Aug 19, 2016, 6:02:53 AM8/19/16
I have the Park Tool as well. I usually replace the chain when it says
replace soon also. This was the first time that I went through a cassette
before a chain. First time with a SRAM set up though. Bike is about a
year old.

--
duane