Brake lever stop screws.

Benderthe.evilrobot

Oct 22, 2016, 2:26:30 PM10/22/16
Most brake levers I've seen, seem to have a stop screw to limit travel when
you release the lever.

It doesn't seem to me that they serve any useful purpose, I usually take
them out and throw them away.

I'd be interested to know what I've not understood.

Thanks for any help.

Ralph Barone

Oct 22, 2016, 2:53:36 PM10/22/16
They are for people with short fingers, who may not be able to directly
reach the brake levers.

Benderthe.evilrobot

Oct 22, 2016, 3:28:37 PM10/22/16

"Ralph Barone" <ra...@invalid.com> wrote in message
Thanks - that makes sense.

My fingers aren't exactly long, but I've never had that problem - not even
on motorcycles.

Frank Krygowski

Oct 22, 2016, 3:49:36 PM10/22/16
My wife is not a tiny person, but she had that problem with one set of
levers. This was on a road bike with drop bar levers and no stop screws.

I was able to bend the levers to fit her hands. She was much happier
with them after that.

Of course, it meant less lever travel before hitting the bars, but
that's a matter of brake adjustment, and usually not much of a problem IME.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Benderthe.evilrobot

Oct 22, 2016, 5:11:14 PM10/22/16

"Frank Krygowski" <frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> On 10/22/2016 3:30 PM, Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:
>>
>> "Ralph Barone" <ra...@invalid.com> wrote in message

>>> They are for people with short fingers, who may not be able to directly
>>> reach the brake levers.
>>
>> Thanks - that makes sense.
>>
>> My fingers aren't exactly long, but I've never had that problem - not
>> even on motorcycles.
>
> My wife is not a tiny person, but she had that problem with one set of
> levers. This was on a road bike with drop bar levers and no stop screws.
>
> I was able to bend the levers to fit her hands. She was much happier with
> them after that.

"Dogleg" levers can help - but I think they were intended to be more about
fashion than utility.