how not to ride your mountain bike in the street.

AMuzi

Apr 29, 2018, 12:42:56 PM4/29/18

Frank Krygowski

Apr 29, 2018, 9:21:26 PM4/29/18
On 4/29/2018 12:42 PM, AMuzi wrote:
> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/video/video-1678418/Cyclist-falls-bike-despite-hitting-apparently-nothing.html

At about 16 seconds his right foot leaves the pedal at the same time his
left foot suddenly swings down to the bottom.

I don't see a derailleur. I wonder if he had a hub gear that shifted
into a false neutral?

--
- Frank Krygowski

AMuzi

Apr 29, 2018, 9:46:40 PM4/29/18
Someone showed that to me at breakfast on a miniature
screen. Now that I've watched it on a big screen I don't
think it's a mountain bike.

Joerg

Apr 30, 2018, 3:39:49 PM4/30/18
On 2018-04-29 18:46, AMuzi wrote:
> On 4/29/2018 8:21 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
>> On 4/29/2018 12:42 PM, AMuzi wrote:
>>> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/video/video-1678418/Cyclist-falls-bike-despite-hitting-apparently-nothing.html
>>>

>> At about 16 seconds his right foot leaves the pedal at the
>> same time his left foot suddenly swings down to the bottom.
>>
>> I don't see a derailleur. I wonder if he had a hub gear that
>> shifted into a false neutral?

A chain snap would do that as well. BT.

> Someone showed that to me at breakfast on a miniature screen. Now that
> I've watched it on a big screen I don't think it's a mountain bike.

No, but as Frank said he slipped off the pedal. I believe he slipped off
the left pedal first and that percipitated the fall. He was trying to
pedal harder and may have partially gone out of the saddle. Possibly he
wasn't used to that mode of powering a bike and messed up.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

(PeteCresswell)

Apr 30, 2018, 5:12:38 PM4/30/18
Per Joerg:
>No, but as Frank said he slipped off the pedal. I believe he slipped off
>the left pedal first and that percipitated the fall. He was trying to
>pedal harder and may have partially gone out of the saddle. Possibly he
>wasn't used to that mode of powering a bike and messed up.

At first glance, I thought his left pedal spindle had broken - but your
explanation makes more sense.
--
Pete Cresswell

Joerg

May 1, 2018, 10:56:18 AM5/1/18
Of course, one always has to ponder where there could be an underlying
deeper cause. Such as booze :-)

(PeteCresswell)

May 2, 2018, 10:54:20 AM5/2/18
Per Joerg: