Experiment determines drivers do not see 22% of cyclists in clear view.

James

May 27, 2015, 12:37:41 AM5/27/15
But I wonder whether they did actually see and register a higher
percentage than 78% of "cyclists in clear view", even though they may
not have looked directly at them.

http://www.roadsafetygb.org.uk/news/4374.html

--
JS

avag...@gmail.com

May 27, 2015, 6:51:36 AM5/27/15
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

A. who would know

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/26/science/maligned-study-on-gay-marriage-is-shaking-trust.html

no sooner, did I post that, my research is Darwinist in nature, with a rare possibly unique photo as here:

https://plus.google.com/photos/102234459580640424681/albums/6152602000234408369/6152602054186473138?banner=pwa&pid=6152602054186473138&oid=102234459580640424681

did the ditto Googlers chop the photo's head off with Picasa, the alleged robot text.

avag...@gmail.com

May 27, 2015, 6:54:34 AM5/27/15

Andre Jute

May 27, 2015, 11:53:23 AM5/27/15
There's psychology here that needs to be studied beyond the bare numbers, clearly underlying them. The one comment so far, by Duncan MacKillop, says "cyclists and motorcyclists have their own natural camouflage that prevents them from being perceived even in the best of circumstances and if something is camouflaged then it perceptually doesn't exist". It's an interesting observation. But I don't think that's so in a literal sense; many two-wheelers wear high-viz clothing. Still, MacKillop points the way. Not being perceived isn't a physical phenomenon, as "camouflaged" suggests, but a psychological block; the modifier of "camouflage", "natural" should carry the emphasis. I wouldn't be surprised if it is somehow linked to, perhaps an extension of, the widespread attitude that cycling is the "poverty choice". That would be a good hypothesis for an insurance company to investigate, probably dressed up a bit from my blunt statement for political acceptability.

Congratulations to Direct Line Car Insurance on their initiative.

Andre Jute
Ride like you're invisible to motorists

avag...@gmail.com

May 27, 2015, 1:56:25 PM5/27/15
Ride like you're invisible to motorists

yeah take the lane..

Jute's psychology is firmly anchored in the http://goo.gl/pSlDVc century then ropes out into noblesso obligio .

the perceived is all one...from the object's position...if you aren't thinking it you are not in facto seeing it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noblesse_oblige

when that serves your best interests, off corsa.

Frank Krygowski

May 27, 2015, 4:13:10 PM5/27/15
On 5/27/2015 1:56 PM, avag...@gmail.com wrote:
> Ride like you're invisible to motorists

"Ride like you're invisible to motorists" is obviously nonsense. What
would you do - come to a stop every time a motor vehicle comes into view?

"Ride in a prominent, conspicuous road position, one that makes you
visible" is a lot more reasonable. In addition to drawing attention and
generating early notice, a prominent road position also gives you a lot
more escape room should something go wrong.

http://commuteorlando.com/wordpress/2010/11/29/helping-motorists-with-lane-positioning/

--
- Frank Krygowski

Andre Jute

May 27, 2015, 4:58:02 PM5/27/15
What can you do with a zero-humour, literal clown like Franki-boy Krygowski?

Yo, moron, if you read what I write instead of what you wish, for your own perverse purposes, I should write, you would have discovered years ago, because I've often said so, here and elsewhere, that I am a conspicuous cyclist. Motorists notice me because I represent expensive damage to the panelwork of their cars, and everything about my bike and my riding style announces it clearly.

If you had the brains that god gave the rear end of an earthworm, you would have noticed long, long ago that in riding style there is nothing to choose between us except that I very likely do it better, because I do most things better than a peasant like you, and I don't need to hide behind some formal "school" of riding as you do, but worked it out for myself from a little thought.

Another worthwhile thread ruined by the mindless antagonism of those ignorant clowns Krygowski and Daniels.

Andre Jute
Ride tall, because otherwise you will be invisible to automobile drivers

Jeff Liebermann

May 27, 2015, 6:46:41 PM5/27/15
On Wed, 27 May 2015 13:58:00 -0700 (PDT), Andre Jute
<fiul...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Motorists notice me because I represent expensive damage to the
>panelwork of their cars, and everything about my bike and my
>riding style announces it clearly.

Like this?
<http://inhabitat.com/insane-russian-attack-bike-is-powered-by-a-chainsaw/>
That should keep cars at a distance.

Or, perhaps a scorched earth policy if you're hit?
<http://www.koreandrama.today/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/boys-over-flowers-episode-4-attack-on-jan-di-burning-bicycle.jpg>

Or, maybe it's the clothes that make the safe cyclist?
<http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ap_webfeeds/382011c0e973c010730f6a706700e095.jpg>

I like the invisible bicycle idea:
<https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=invisible+bicycle>
Only those who are worthy can see the emperors new bicycle.

--
Jeff Liebermann je...@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Frank Krygowski

May 27, 2015, 7:35:25 PM5/27/15
On 5/27/2015 4:58 PM, Andre Jute wrote:
> What can you do with a zero-humour, literal clown like Franki-boy Krygowski?

What can you do with a character like Jute who posts completely
nonsensical advice, then tries to excuse it by claiming his own riding
violates his own advice?

--
- Frank Krygowski

avag...@gmail.com

May 27, 2015, 7:49:51 PM5/27/15
KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

once again many years ago in our ville which boasts a flange of Fed and State coded roads...BLVD....planned interchange and bicycle paths...

I first mounted a small circle of dayglo orange on the reflector stand....The Sheriff's people said the 6" circle brought me into view from nowhere on a Blvd bike path to abt 1/4 mile plus.

Several months (36+) later Walmart began dayglo ing ......heavy stuff.
rubberized polyester.

.....today we see...and so there are far fewer accidents today than would be otherwise.

but some stuff doesn't change.

coupla days ago slowly ran down a jersey rider riding into a no bike area before a flyover and turn under interchange.

die or take the side walk....

I blew the airhorn and went on...

I assume the rider 'took the lane' and traffic being fairly discrete didnah crush the baboon.

forgive us for Jute, Frank, his endorphins and self esteam spearus in another continent ...for his protection.

try to see him as entertaining....Sergeant Blimp of The Gold Fields....

avag...@gmail.com

May 27, 2015, 7:54:48 PM5/27/15
I now activate the flasher system when spotting an possibly errant cyclist.

Traffic behind responds as who wants to ruin their day with a bicycle accident.

Recommend you try this and observe.

John B.

May 27, 2015, 8:27:17 PM5/27/15
I suspect that the "Ride like you're invisible to motorists"
suggestion actually means something more like "ride like the motorist
doesn't notice you while texting, applying makeup, etc."

Your suggestion to ride in a conspicuous road position relies on the
driver being aware of his surroundings, which apparently isn't always
true given the large number of auto accidents where the driver says "I
didn't see him/it".
--
Cheers,

John B.

Andre Jute

May 27, 2015, 11:51:09 PM5/27/15
On Wednesday, May 27, 2015 at 11:46:41 PM UTC+1, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Wed, 27 May 2015 13:58:00 -0700 (PDT), Andre Jute
Audi, as it happens, at one stage also made the biggest selling military vehicle in its class, the Iltis.

Andre Jute

Frank Krygowski

May 27, 2015, 11:56:52 PM5/27/15
On 5/27/2015 8:26 PM, John B. wrote:
> On Wed, 27 May 2015 16:13:07 -0400, Frank Krygowski
> <frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> On 5/27/2015 1:56 PM, avag...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> Ride like you're invisible to motorists
>>
>> "Ride like you're invisible to motorists" is obviously nonsense. What
>> would you do - come to a stop every time a motor vehicle comes into view?
>>
>> "Ride in a prominent, conspicuous road position, one that makes you
>> visible" is a lot more reasonable. In addition to drawing attention and
>> generating early notice, a prominent road position also gives you a lot
>> more escape room should something go wrong.
>>
>> http://commuteorlando.com/wordpress/2010/11/29/helping-motorists-with-lane-positioning/
>
> I suspect that the "Ride like you're invisible to motorists"
> suggestion actually means something more like "ride like the motorist
> doesn't notice you while texting, applying makeup, etc."

FWIW, this has been discussed on various (and more serious) bike
education forums that I'm part of.

"Ride like your invisible" is most often interpreted as "Stay completely
out of the way no matter what. Ride in the gutter, or better yet on the
sidewalk. Ride facing traffic so you can bail out in the grass if a car
comes at you." And so on. It pretty clearly says "Act as if you have
no right to the road." It sends precisely the wrong message.

> Your suggestion to ride in a conspicuous road position relies on the
> driver being aware of his surroundings, which apparently isn't always
> true given the large number of auto accidents where the driver says "I
> didn't see him/it".

Everyone I know who has tried it - and there are many - report that
riding more prominently gets them much more passing clearance from
motorists, and fewer crashes and close calls. For one thing, it's
obvious from much further back that the presence of the cyclist will
require some attention.

Review the article and video in the link above. Or check out this one:
http://commuteorlando.com/wordpress/2010/08/19/we-learned-to-get-along-on-sesame-street/

If that woman had taken Jute's advice literally, she probably would have
been riding to the right of the right-turn-only lane at the video's
beginning. She certainly would have been skimming the curb on other
sections of the road; and motorists would have been skimming her left elbow.

If someone said "Keep alert for motorist mistakes," I certainly wouldn't
object. I do that all the time. But pretending invisibility simply
makes no sense. It stinks even as a joke.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Duane

May 28, 2015, 8:15:38 AM5/28/15
On 27/05/2015 8:26 PM, John B. wrote:
> On Wed, 27 May 2015 16:13:07 -0400, Frank Krygowski
> <frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> On 5/27/2015 1:56 PM, avag...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> Ride like you're invisible to motorists
>>
>> "Ride like you're invisible to motorists" is obviously nonsense. What
>> would you do - come to a stop every time a motor vehicle comes into view?
>>
>> "Ride in a prominent, conspicuous road position, one that makes you
>> visible" is a lot more reasonable. In addition to drawing attention and
>> generating early notice, a prominent road position also gives you a lot
>> more escape room should something go wrong.
>>
>> http://commuteorlando.com/wordpress/2010/11/29/helping-motorists-with-lane-positioning/
>
> I suspect that the "Ride like you're invisible to motorists"
> suggestion actually means something more like "ride like the motorist
> doesn't notice you while texting, applying makeup, etc."

Basically to ride defensively. I agree.

> Your suggestion to ride in a conspicuous road position relies on the
> driver being aware of his surroundings, which apparently isn't always
> true given the large number of auto accidents where the driver says "I
> didn't see him/it".
> --

There's the rub.

John B.

May 28, 2015, 8:32:53 AM5/28/15
Kill file him.
--
Cheers,

John B.

John B.

May 28, 2015, 8:32:54 AM5/28/15
On Wed, 27 May 2015 23:56:48 -0400, Frank Krygowski
I suggest that it is largely a matter of semantics. "Ride like you are
invisible" can be interpreted equally well as "ride like they don't
see you", which is a pretty sensible attitude, as if they don't see
you then "taking the lane" could also be translated as "Suicide".

I've always felt and suggested that when something is larger than you,
faster than you, more powerful than you and harder than you that it
behooves you to avoid this thing.

Not hope that the thing will avoid you.
--
Cheers,

John B.

AMuzi

May 28, 2015, 8:51:30 AM5/28/15
Perhaps it's time to go full Lampre:
http://www.procyclingstats.com/team/Lampre_Merida_2015

It's a growing sentiment:
http://host.madison.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/wisconsin-lawmakers-encourage-people-to-hunt-pink/article_e8d0b729-38ae-5c3d-b511-fe205794c3ac.html

If it's good visibility for firearms it ought to work for
texting mommyvan pilots.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

jbeattie

May 28, 2015, 10:27:28 AM5/28/15
On Wednesday, May 27, 2015 at 8:56:52 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> On 5/27/2015 8:26 PM, John B. wrote:
> > On Wed, 27 May 2015 16:13:07 -0400, Frank Krygowski
> > <frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
<snip>

> Everyone I know who has tried it - and there are many - report that
> riding more prominently gets them much more passing clearance from
> motorists, and fewer crashes and close calls. For one thing, it's
> obvious from much further back that the presence of the cyclist will
> require some attention.

Although passing clearance often has nothing to do with road position. I have been passed closely while riding lane center -- taking the entire lane. Numerous times. Taking the lane makes sense in places, but it is no guaranty of safe passes. People who want to pass will pass, and if you're traveling slowly down the middle of a lane, you will get passed -- sometimes closely and aggressively. The frequency of unsafe passes will depend on the local driver population and the model number of the truck, e.g. 150, 250 350 etc.

-- Jay Beattie.

Duane

May 28, 2015, 10:45:58 AM5/28/15
We were on two lane highways on Sunday. There's no shoulder and we were
about 3 feet from the fog line. So about 1 foot to the right of lane
center. Drivers had to go into the oncoming lane to pass us, as per the
law and many did. A few noticeable ones didn't. Usually accelerating
and sitting on their horn as they went only far enough left to not
actually hit us.

This is a long windy road through the corn fields and with the corn
still low you can see for quite a distance. Moving left 1 foot wouldn't
have mattered. The idiots that don't like waiting for a safe pass are
going to react the same.

FWIW, I would prefer the guy screaming by with his horn blaring. At
least I know he sees me. This road is similar to the one where the
girls doing the triathalon training were mowed down a couple years ago
by the guy that fell asleep with his cruise control on.

But what I wanted to address Jay, was that it isn't just trucks.
Rednecks seem to have access to SUVs, UPS vans, tractor trailers,
motorcycles and all sorts of vehicles. And they wear disguises now.
Some are even dressed as soccer moms or college students.

The other thing is that you're right about the local driver population.
We know how the drivers are in this area and expect this behavior.

Jeff Liebermann

May 28, 2015, 1:56:14 PM5/28/15
On Wed, 27 May 2015 15:46:35 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com>
wrote:

>On Wed, 27 May 2015 13:58:00 -0700 (PDT), Andre Jute
><fiul...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Motorists notice me because I represent expensive damage to the
>>panelwork of their cars, and everything about my bike and my
>>riding style announces it clearly.
>
>Like this?
(...)

One more. You can make rifle mounting clips for your bicycle:
<https://bsamuseum.wordpress.com/rifle-mounting-clips/>
That should give motorists something to worry about.
<https://bsamuseum.wordpress.com>
BSA is Birmingham Small Arms Ltd.

James

May 28, 2015, 3:56:59 PM5/28/15
On 28/05/15 13:56, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> On 5/27/2015 8:26 PM, John B. wrote:
>> On Wed, 27 May 2015 16:13:07 -0400, Frank Krygowski
>> <frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>>> "Ride like you're invisible to motorists" is obviously nonsense. What
>>> would you do - come to a stop every time a motor vehicle comes into
>>> view?
>>>
>>> "Ride in a prominent, conspicuous road position, one that makes you
>>> visible" is a lot more reasonable. In addition to drawing attention and
>>> generating early notice, a prominent road position also gives you a lot
>>> more escape room should something go wrong.
>>>
>>> http://commuteorlando.com/wordpress/2010/11/29/helping-motorists-with-lane-positioning/
>>>

>> I suspect that the "Ride like you're invisible to motorists"
>> suggestion actually means something more like "ride like the motorist
>> doesn't notice you while texting, applying makeup, etc."
>
> FWIW, this has been discussed on various (and more serious) bike
> education forums that I'm part of.
>
> "Ride like your invisible" is most often interpreted as "Stay completely
> out of the way no matter what. Ride in the gutter, or better yet on the
> sidewalk. Ride facing traffic so you can bail out in the grass if a car
> comes at you." And so on. It pretty clearly says "Act as if you have
> no right to the road." It sends precisely the wrong message.

To me it means ride very defensively, keep a close eye on them and try
to anticipate their moves, and have an escape plan. I ride in a
prominent position in the hope they will see me. Mostly they do,
however twice recently, despite riding in a prominent position on the
road in broad day light and contrasty clothes, I had drivers come from
side roads on my right who turned on to the street in the same direction
of travel as me - right in front of me, such that I had to take evasive
action to avoid a collision. I believe their view of me was blocked by
the left side A pillar.

--
JS

Frank Krygowski

May 28, 2015, 4:12:41 PM5/28/15
On 5/28/2015 8:32 AM, John B. wrote:

>> If someone said "Keep alert for motorist mistakes," I certainly wouldn't
>> object. I do that all the time. But pretending invisibility simply
>> makes no sense. It stinks even as a joke.
>
> I suggest that it is largely a matter of semantics. "Ride like you are
> invisible" can be interpreted equally well as "ride like they don't
> see you", which is a pretty sensible attitude...

I spent decades as a teacher. When one is trying to teach something -
whether engineering, music, bicycling or whatever - semantics make a big
difference. Catch phrases like the one under discussion really do tend
to stick in student's minds and get replayed as an aid to quick
decisions. It's important those catch phrases generate the right
behavior. And again, "Ride like you're invisible" can generate behavior
that's precisely wrong.

> ... as if they don't see
> you then "taking the lane" could also be translated as "Suicide".

I think some people imagine "taking the lane" as "swoop left in front of
a motorist at the last minute." That might be suicide, and is
specifically prohibited by good cycling education materials, as well as
state laws. The idea is to be in a prominent road position before the
motor vehicle approaches. It greatly reduces the "don't see you"
events, which is one of its main points.

> I've always felt and suggested that when something is larger than you,
> faster than you, more powerful than you and harder than you that it
> behooves you to avoid this thing.
>
> Not hope that the thing will avoid you.

Once again, the question is: Ten foot lane, 8.5 foot truck. Where do
you ride? If you try to avoid it by skimming the pavement edge, you
signal to the trucker that it's fine to brush your elbow and squeeze past.

No thanks. I've tried both tactics; I know what works better.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Frank Krygowski

May 28, 2015, 4:21:51 PM5/28/15
On 5/28/2015 10:27 AM, jbeattie wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 27, 2015 at 8:56:52 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
>> On 5/27/2015 8:26 PM, John B. wrote:
>>> On Wed, 27 May 2015 16:13:07 -0400, Frank Krygowski
>>> <frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> Everyone I know who has tried it - and there are many - report that
>> riding more prominently gets them much more passing clearance from
>> motorists, and fewer crashes and close calls. For one thing, it's
>> obvious from much further back that the presence of the cyclist will
>> require some attention.
>>

> Although passing clearance often has nothing to do with road position.
I have been passed closely while riding lane center -- taking the entire
lane. Numerous times. Taking the lane makes sense in places, but it is no
guaranty of safe passes.

Really, nothing is 100% guaranteed. All one can do is arrange to put
the odds in one's favor.

Today I did a club ride (retirement is nice!), about 25 miles on mostly
narrow rural roads, plus a state highway or two. About a dozen riders.
I don't think there was a moment when we didn't control the lane, i.e.
ride near lane center, often two abreast. We suffered zero close
passes, and I believe every motorist went as far left as possible to
pass us.

No, it's not always 100%. About two weeks ago I led a club ride and had
one pickup truck driver (with a "handicapped" plate) deliberately pass
me with about a foot of clearance, despite having an open left lane on
the low-traffic four-lane road. Jerks exist. But even in that case, my
leftward position gave me room to move right if I'd really needed it.

If I'd ridden a foot from the gutter - default position for many
cyclists - I would probably have endured many more passes about that
close. The difference would have been that those motorists wouldn't
have thought they were doing anything wrong.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Frank Krygowski

May 28, 2015, 4:24:31 PM5/28/15
On 5/28/2015 3:56 PM, James wrote:
> I ride in a
> prominent position in the hope they will see me. Mostly they do,
> however twice recently, despite riding in a prominent position on the
> road in broad day light and contrasty clothes, I had drivers come from
> side roads on my right who turned on to the street in the same direction
> of travel as me - right in front of me, such that I had to take evasive
> action to avoid a collision. I believe their view of me was blocked by
> the left side A pillar.

That's interesting. I've noticed similar situations where the driver's
A pillar might have hidden me from view. That definitely puts me on
high alert, ready to evade.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Andre Jute

May 28, 2015, 4:37:50 PM5/28/15
On Thursday, May 28, 2015 at 6:56:14 PM UTC+1, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Wed, 27 May 2015 15:46:35 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com>
> wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 27 May 2015 13:58:00 -0700 (PDT), Andre Jute
> ><> wrote:
> >
> >>Motorists notice me because I represent expensive damage to the
> >>panelwork of their cars, and everything about my bike and my
> >>riding style announces it clearly.
> >
> >Like this?
> (...)
>
> One more. You can make rifle mounting clips for your bicycle:
> <https://bsamuseum.wordpress.com/rifle-mounting-clips/>
> That should give motorists something to worry about.
> <https://bsamuseum.wordpress.com>
> BSA is Birmingham Small Arms Ltd.
>
> --
> Jeff Liebermann je...@cruzio.com
> Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
> Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

My local poh-lees (as I understand is now the approved street corner manner of describing the keepers of the peace) disapprove severely of fireams on the streets. (They themselves in the main go unarmed.)

However, I have found the 300mm length of Abus Granit X 54 U lock a useful tool, socially imperceptible except to drivers who come within the legally required clearance zone of one meter of me, and 12" extension of the tool itself is rather useful. It's a solid substitute for a three-pound hammer, indeed in many respects superior because it has more operating edges. http://www.amazon.com/Lockitt-ABUS-Granit-X-Plus-54/dp/B001E7G4XU You can get any number of different clips to fix it to your bike, but the one that suits its dual purpose as a defensive weapon best is the heavy duty black reinforced plastics clip with the pressbutton quick release. I carry mine (or used to; I don't need to any more) mounted high up on the seat tube under the seat where my hand falls naturally on it, thumb on the release button, fingers curling over the bottom of the U, where it is nicely balanced in the hand.

As I say, I don't need it any more; it's point is long established. First of all, on my bike, sitting upright, I'm taller than any SUV; I look like expensive damage, and I ride with the aggressive confidence of someone who doesn't lose at games, with a smile like a row of tombstones and the guileless nod of an innocent baby to shocked drivers slowing their oncoming cars; it ensures that they give me a wide berth when they approach me from behind, to protect their expensive cars. (After taxes, a top of the range Range Rover is the equivalent of a quarter million in USD...) Secondly, if I get the slightest chance, I make eye-contact with drivers, after which they don't overlook me. Thirdly, I ride like I'm invisible -- and, just to ensure morons like Frank Krygowski don't again fail to get it (apologies for the offense to everyone else's intelligence -- hell, even Slow Johnny got it first time round), of course as if I intend to make myself not only visible but memorable. Fourthly, I ride on roads where many drivers know me and greet me, and those who've had run-ins with me take care not to come near me (indeed some pull off the road until I pass, and one bursts into tears every time he sees me). Fifth, I don't hold up anyone maliciously, as Krygowski does from mindless obstructionism, only for my own safety; in the harvest season, I jump off the road, into full ditches if necessary, for farm machinery speeding between fields, and the rest of the year am repaid handsomely by farmers and their wives waiting patiently behind me on the narrowest lanes. As an invisible cyclist, I feature LARGE with drivers. Stick that where it hurts, Franki-boy! The first three are helpful methods anywhere, but drivers knowing you of course depends on where you ride and how often, and who drives there; it is a fortunate byproduct of my favourite rides starting in most cases from my front door, or no more than a mile away.

Andre Jute
A victim who leaves hairy footprints
(Who wants to bet that illiterate clown Krygowski doesn't get this one either?)

Andre Jute

May 28, 2015, 4:49:44 PM5/28/15
On Thursday, May 28, 2015 at 8:56:59 PM UTC+1, James wrote:

"Ride like you're invisible to motorists"

> To me it means ride very defensively, keep a close eye on them and try
> to anticipate their moves, and have an escape plan. I ride in a
> prominent position in the hope they will see me. Mostly they do,
> however twice recently, despite riding in a prominent position on the
> road in broad day light and contrasty clothes, I had drivers come from
> side roads on my right who turned on to the street in the same direction
> of travel as me - right in front of me, such that I had to take evasive
> action to avoid a collision. I believe their view of me was blocked by
> the left side A pillar.
>
> --
> JS

Automobike manufacturers are aware of the visibility problems caused by thick windshield and other pillars. Here's Jaguar's solution. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c98h41TkREA

Still not going to do cyclists much good if the driver is careless or distracted by his phone...

Andre Jute

Jeff Liebermann

May 28, 2015, 4:57:46 PM5/28/15
On Thu, 28 May 2015 13:37:49 -0700 (PDT), Andre Jute
<fiul...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>My local poh-lees (as I understand is now the approved street corner
>manner of describing the keepers of the peace) disapprove severely
>of fireams on the streets. (They themselves in the main go unarmed.)

Well, ok. That's a problem. Instead, I suggest you simply install
the visible gun mounts to give the impression that you prefer violent
solutions to social problems. I don't know the legality, but a row of
shotgun shells and possibly some (empty) leather pistol holder mounted
in conspicuous locations might also be helpful. Image is everything.

>However, I have found the 300mm length of Abus Granit X 54 U lock
>a useful tool, socially imperceptible except to drivers who come
>within the legally required clearance zone of one meter of me,
>and 12" extension of the tool itself is rather useful.

You get 1 meter (39.37 inches) clearance and we only get 36.0 inches?
This has some serious implications, such as the cost of building your
roads 3 inches wider in order to comply with the required clearances.
Have you considered abandoning metric and going back to imperial
measures? It might be cheaper.

My weapon of choice is a cable lock, with a heavy lock on the end.
I've considered adding spikes to the lock and a wooden handle, but
that would be a bit too mediaeval and obvious. The cable lock is not
as secure as a U-lock, but is considerably cheaper. That's a major
requirement because I have the incurable habit of loosing my cable
locks on rides. At about $30 for a generic U-Lock and about $5 for a
home made cable lock with Nicopress fittings, I can lose 5 cable locks
to break even.

Sir Ridesalot

May 28, 2015, 7:01:23 PM5/28/15
Like when you are approaching a narrow bridge, an 18 wheeler is barreling down on you, you're lane centre but the 18 wheeler isn't slowing so just before you get onto the bridge you elect to leave the lane so's not to have that run down feeling, you then get told that a, you should have stayed lane center as the 18 wheel would have slowed so's not to run you over, and b, that you're "a scardy ct and shouldn't be riding in traffic because you elected to bail rather than stay in the lane". Never mind that the 18 wheeler just missed hitting you as it was.

Cheers

Sir Ridesalot

May 28, 2015, 7:13:11 PM5/28/15
As you often ask, where's the proof that if you were not lane center you'd have been in danger. You say, "I belive..." yet many times you ask others for empiracal prrof that their belief is fact.

In many locales riding in the center of a lane in traffic for any distance is very likely to have very unpleasant results for many bicyclists.

Alos, in many locales it is against the law to ride lane center if it impedes traffic and it's also against the law to ride two abreast a t any time.

cheers

James

May 28, 2015, 8:20:21 PM5/28/15
Yes, I've noted there are efforts to improve visibility, and yes
distraction seems to be a mounting problem, with additional distraction
sources these days. Once upon a time the biggest distraction, aside
from passengers, was the car radio. I know of a few who killed them
selves turning a tape over, for example.

--
JS

Frank Krygowski

May 29, 2015, 12:26:48 AM5/29/15
On Thursday, May 28, 2015 at 7:13:11 PM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
> On Thursday, May 28, 2015 at 4:21:51 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> >

> > Today I did a club ride (retirement is nice!), about 25 miles on mostly
> > narrow rural roads, plus a state highway or two. About a dozen riders.
> > I don't think there was a moment when we didn't control the lane, i.e.
> > ride near lane center, often two abreast. We suffered zero close
> > passes, and I believe every motorist went as far left as possible to
> > pass us.
> >
> > No, it's not always 100%. About two weeks ago I led a club ride and had
> > one pickup truck driver (with a "handicapped" plate) deliberately pass
> > me with about a foot of clearance, despite having an open left lane on
> > the low-traffic four-lane road. Jerks exist. But even in that case, my
> > leftward position gave me room to move right if I'd really needed it.
> >
> > If I'd ridden a foot from the gutter - default position for many
> > cyclists - I would probably have endured many more passes about that
> > close. The difference would have been that those motorists wouldn't
> > have thought they were doing anything wrong.
> >

> > --
> > - Frank Krygowski
>
> As you often ask, where's the proof that if you were not lane center you'd have been in danger. You say, "I belive..." yet many times you ask others for empiracal prrof that their belief is fact.

Well, here's some video showing the difference in behavior between riding more
toward the right, vs. riding more prominently:
http://commuteorlando.com/wordpress/2010/11/29/helping-motorists-with-lane-positioning/
At about 2 minutes, you'll see the closer passes from riding further right.

Here are some sources of advice:
http://azbikelaw.org/blog/where-to-ride-on-the-road/

Here's another, with a graphic showing some data on passing clearance vs.
cyclist lane position. You may want to blow up the graphic and study it.
Some people find it tricky to interpret.
http://isocrates.us/bike/2011/07/lane-positioning-101/

> In many locales riding in the center of a lane in traffic for any distance is very likely to have very unpleasant results for many bicyclists.

Yeah, I know. Danger! Danger!

> Alos, in many locales it is against the law to ride lane center if it impedes traffic and it's also against the law to ride two abreast a t any time.

In (almost?) every state, two abreast riding is legal, since the typical
statute prohibits "more than two abreast." And in my state (and many others)
it's _specifically_ legal for cyclists to control the lane when the lane is
too narrow to be safely shared.*

IIRC, you're in Canada. Perhaps my statewide cycling advocacy organization
has done a better job than yours?

*BTW, on my way to a club ride last week, I was at the center of a narrow lane,
and a guy in an SUV blared his horn at me. When it was clear, he passed me,
then pulled into a plaza parking lot.

Since I had time, I pulled in after him and asked "Were you having trouble
with your horn?"

He said "You have to give room to pass."

I said "Actually, state law 4511.55 says a bicyclist is allowed to ride at
lane center when the lane's too narrow to share."

He said "Oh. I didn't know that. My mistake, then."

- Frank Krygowski

Duane

May 29, 2015, 8:42:55 AM5/29/15
8-tracks eating your tape used to be a common cause of rear enders.
Cell phones and gps devices seem to be more significant though. I don't
get why people can't wait until they are at least at a stop light to
reply to a freaking text message. A guy here was on the news today for
contesting a ticket he got because he was using his apple watch to
change tunes. His argument is that the law specifies hand held
telephones. So he'll get off and the law will change to include it.
But wtf?

Duane

May 29, 2015, 8:50:14 AM5/29/15
Yeah but you're talking about one opinionated troll that there's no
point responding to. And anyway if you followed that advice and were
killed you would be written off as an insignificant statistic and any
argument to the contrary would bring up Danger! Danger! rants and more
bullshit statistical misinterpretations and miles traveled and walking
helmets and all sorts of other nonsense.

IMO if you think that truck isn't stopping you need to deal with that
the best way you know how and also IMO letting him go is probably the
best choice.

John B.

May 29, 2015, 9:06:29 AM5/29/15
On Thu, 28 May 2015 16:12:37 -0400, Frank Krygowski
I see what you are typing but you seem to use the refrain "take the
lane" like a mantra. Keep repeating it and you'll be all right. But
what about taking the lane on a highway where the motor vehicles are
traveling at. say 80 - 100 KPH?

They come over the hill or around the corner and there you are..,
right in the middle of the lane pedaling along at 20 kph.

About a 22 Mtr/sec differential velocity. They come over the hill and
you are 100 meters ahead and they have 4.5 seconds to (1) notice you
and (2) decide what to do. If it is a lady refreshing her lip gloss,
looking in the rear view mirror, well, say a couple of seconds to
apply and sort of mash the lips together, another couple of second to
blot with the tissue and take a final look and you are 0.5 seconds
from Nirvana. A bit of a frown and the thought, "Whatever is that
right in the middle of the road? A Bicycle?" and you are just a
receding picture in the rear view mirror.

And, from what I read, this is not a rare event in the U.S. I read
that over 70% of U.S. drivers surveyed admitted to texting, reading
e-mail, applying makeup or reading the newspaper while driving.

"Oh, I didn't see him", while perhaps not a valid excuse seems to
becoming a common excuse.
--
Cheers,

John B.

John B.

May 29, 2015, 9:06:34 AM5/29/15
I have nor read every state's traffic regulations but the three I did
read all stated that "thou shall not impede other traffic" (in
Biblical terms :-) so while the three states did specifically state
that bicycles had a right to use the road none of them gave the
bicycle a right to impede other users.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Duane

May 29, 2015, 9:35:10 AM5/29/15
+1

sms

May 29, 2015, 10:50:58 AM5/29/15
For transportational cycling, nothing is as good as a side flag for
increasing the passing distance between a bicycle and a car. It is
amazing that motorists are so fearful of getting their car scratched by
a piece of plastic, but they make a wide arc around the cyclist rather
than passing closely.

I might not go this far though:
<http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Cyclist-uses-long-pole-video-camera-to-remind-5425186.php>

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt-ZBXZd2kc>

The best one is
<http://ww4.hdnux.com/photos/27/54/13/6210271/4/622x350.jpg>.

"He's been met with anger from motorists who aren't acquainted with the
law, as can be seen on the videos he's collected on his YouTube channel.
Most people seen in the videos are angry about their own cars being
damaged."

Duane

May 29, 2015, 11:08:38 AM5/29/15
How does this work when you are on a bi-directional bike lane? What if
bikes are passing each other from different directions and both have
these flags? I'm not wild about cars with mirrors sticking out getting
in my way. I'm not sure I want to deal with other cyclists doing the same.

Frank Krygowski

May 29, 2015, 4:02:04 PM5/29/15
On Friday, May 29, 2015 at 8:50:14 AM UTC-4, Duane wrote:
> ... any
> argument to the contrary would bring up Danger! Danger! rants and more
> bullshit statistical misinterpretations and miles traveled and walking
> helmets and all sorts of other nonsense.

You mean to say that in the face of arguments to the contrary, I'd bring
in data.

And you've shown time and again that you have no appreciation of data.
In general, its use or analysis just drives you into ranting - generally
because available data shows your arguments are so often wrong.

I understand that this situation frustrates you. But it doesn't make
you any more correct.

- Frank Krygowski

Frank Krygowski

May 29, 2015, 4:31:00 PM5/29/15
On Friday, May 29, 2015 at 9:06:29 AM UTC-4, John B. wrote:
First, rather little cycling is done on highways with high speed limits.
Perhaps that means you don't, in fact, disagree with lane control when
necessary at slower speeds. I hope that's the case.

In the case of a higher speed highway, IME they seldom have blind curves
that hide cyclists until the last second. That's based on my riding in
47 U.S. states (so far) and about a dozen foreign countries. High-speed
roads that do have blind curves or sharp hill crests almost always have
low traffic, meaning the problem you cite comes up infrequently.

In the unusual instances where those problems arise, I've done fine by
paying attention to the possibility of traffic from behind. For sharp
curves, one can adjust road position to be visible. That almost always
means moving closer to the center line, which makes one visible further
around the curve. I suppose for a sharp crest with a motorist flying up
from behind, one could be ready to bail onto the shoulder if necessary.
I doubt that it's frequently necessary.

(FWIW, our club's annual century, which I ran for about 8 years, went
partly through Amish country, including hilly roads where Amish buggies
obviously cannot share the lane. There's never been tons of carnage,
either of cyclists or of buggy riders.)

If these dire situations were as common as some here pretend, we wouldn't
have over 10 million miles ridden per bike fatality.

- Frank Krygowski

Frank Krygowski

May 29, 2015, 4:36:06 PM5/29/15
On Friday, May 29, 2015 at 9:06:34 AM UTC-4, John B. wrote:
> I have nor read every state's traffic regulations but the three I did
> read all stated that "thou shall not impede other traffic" (in
> Biblical terms :-) so while the three states did specifically state
> that bicycles had a right to use the road none of them gave the
> bicycle a right to impede other users.

Courts have decided otherwise, setting useful legal precedents when
doing so.

This man was instrumental in one of the more important cases.
http://www.ohiobikelawyer.com/uncategorized/2010/09/share-the-road-stinks/

Essentially (IIRC) the appeals court judges ruled that the capabilities of
the vehicle must be taken into account. So farm tractors, delivery vans,
post office trucks, garbage trucks, heavy loads, scooters and bicyclists
are not required to abandon their rights to the road because they
can't go fast. The few exceptions are usually limited access highways.
But even those are legal for cyclists in many western U.S. locations.

- Frank Krygowski

jbeattie

May 29, 2015, 5:27:22 PM5/29/15
Well, it looks like Florida and Commute Orlando are leading the way for bicycle safety -- unfortunately, the wrong way: http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/cycling-fatalities-highest-in-florida-25385/
http://www.southfloridapersonalinjuryattorneyblog.com/2012/02/florida-bicycle-accidents-amon.html

Mode share in Orlando: .4% Wow! That's awesome! Its also amazing considering that the place is dead flat, sunny all the time and has roads with incredibly long site lines. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ib5Ny5-kBs (and these guys are in the left lane because?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8eCmVpzFSk -- snore. Wake me up when I get home.

Portland: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI7T2iuGjjc We're serious around here. I podiumed this morning. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3nMnr8ZirI

-- Jay Beattie.

P.S. dissenting opinion on taking the lane: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS1yP8jJXIs Kind of goofy, but fun.

jbeattie

May 29, 2015, 8:10:03 PM5/29/15
That Ohio case applies in Ohio and clearly does not represent the law in most states. The standard UVC (Uniform Vehicle Code) provisions apply to bicycles, including the prohibitions on impeding traffic and failing to yield to overtaking traffic. Again, one must look to state law. There are fifty states with different versions of the UVC, and I think a few states that don't follow the UVC at all.

-- Jay Beattie.

John B.

May 29, 2015, 10:02:21 PM5/29/15
You are correct. Just as I stated "bicycles had a right to use the
road". Shoot, in a farming community you didn't need a Judge to tell
you that you could drive your tractor on the road, you just "knew" it.

But the point that you leave out is that there equally isn't a law
that gives a farm wagon, or a bicycle, the right to deliberately
impede other traffic, which in essence you are encouraging by arguing
that "take the lane" is the perfect solution. In fact I distinctly
remember signs posted by the Highway Department that said "Slow
Traffic Keep Right", in other words "do your best not to impede
others".
--
Cheers,

John B.

John B.

May 29, 2015, 10:02:21 PM5/29/15
That is, in a left handed way, exactly what I meant. I might add that
much, perhaps most of my cycling is done on roads that are as
described, but that isn't the point.

The point is that, as I said, you appear to preach "take the lane" as
a mantra to solve all bicycle-motor vehicle interaction and it
obviously isn't, as you seem to admit above.

If, as you do not say, the mantra went something like "take the lane
where it is safe to do so" than I wouldn't comment, but you don't say
that.

You describe the wide truck and the narrow road and say, "take the
lane".

I described an incident where two women and two kids, on a 100 cc
motorcycle did exactly that and the results was one truck turned over
and the driver injured sufficiently to be admitted to the hospital,
one woman and one child killed in the crash and the other woman and
child were admitted to the hospital "in critical condition".

You replied to my post saying, "they shouldn't have done that".

So, essentially your "take the lane" advice, while perhaps logical in
certain situations is not the cure all solution that you seem to be
trying to market it as.

>In the case of a higher speed highway, IME they seldom have blind curves
>that hide cyclists until the last second. That's based on my riding in
>47 U.S. states (so far) and about a dozen foreign countries. High-speed
>roads that do have blind curves or sharp hill crests almost always have
>low traffic, meaning the problem you cite comes up infrequently.

I'm in Phuket at the moment and I can assure you that on the "road to
town" where traffic is usually passing me when I'm doing 80 KPH in my
old pickup, there are at least three places where the road curves
sufficiently that you cannot see a cycle 100 Meters ahead and several
hills that are sufficiently abrupt that the same conditions apply.

>In the unusual instances where those problems arise, I've done fine by
>paying attention to the possibility of traffic from behind.

But Frank, you don't say that, you say, "take the lane". You imply
that in the wide truck, narrow road situation, that you describe, that
every thing will be hunky-dory if one just takes the lane.

Now you say "take the lane, but watch your arse" which is a
significantly different thesis.

--
Cheers,

John B.

Frank Krygowski

May 29, 2015, 11:46:36 PM5/29/15
On 5/29/2015 5:27 PM, jbeattie wrote:
> On Friday, May 29, 2015 at 1:02:04 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
>> On Friday, May 29, 2015 at 8:50:14 AM UTC-4, Duane wrote:
>>> ... any
>>> argument to the contrary would bring up Danger! Danger! rants and more
>>> bullshit statistical misinterpretations and miles traveled and walking
>>> helmets and all sorts of other nonsense.
>>
>> You mean to say that in the face of arguments to the contrary, I'd bring
>> in data.
>>
>> And you've shown time and again that you have no appreciation of data.
>> In general, its use or analysis just drives you into ranting - generally
>> because available data shows your arguments are so often wrong.
>>
>> I understand that this situation frustrates you. But it doesn't make
>> you any more correct.
>>

> Well, it looks like Florida and Commute Orlando are leading the way for bicycle safety -- unfortunately, the wrong way: http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/cycling-fatalities-highest-in-florida-25385/
> http://www.southfloridapersonalinjuryattorneyblog.com/2012/02/florida-bicycle-accidents-amon.html

It's pretty silly to blame Commute Orlando for Florida's relatively high
bike crash counts, don't you think? After all, it's not like even half
of Florida cyclists use their techniques. In fact, it's not like half
of one percent of Florida cyclists use their techniques.

The Commute Orlando crew is pretty brilliant, IME. But their problem is
the same as the problem with every other cycling education effort:
Nobody's interested, because everybody THINKS they already know all
about bicycling.

We can discuss the reasons for Florida's high bike crash count, if you
like. But as a hint, I'll note that California is typically second in
bike crashes. Texas is often third. Now why would that be?

> Mode share in Orlando: .4% Wow! That's awesome! Its also amazing
considering that the place is dead flat, sunny all the time and has
roads with incredibly long site lines.

Have you ridden there?

Problem #1 is that the "modern" recently developed areas of Florida (at
least, in my experience) are all car-centric, in the sense that shopping
centers, office buildings, housing complexes etc. are spread out at much
lower density than where I live or where you live. They are frequently
connected by super-wide, super-high-speed roads that look and feel like
freeways. They are really not pleasant for riding. Even if you're not
afraid of the traffic, it's far from aesthetically pleasing.

Problem #2 is that the heat and humidity are pretty brutal. One guy I
know well was a longtime cyclist before he moved there. He's done quite
a lot of riding with me, including at least one century ride. But he
feels he can't possibly ride the five miles (IIRC) to his professional
job, because of the heat, humidity and roads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ib5Ny5-kBs (and these guys are in the
left lane because?)

Because they are getting ready to make a left turn, Jay.*

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8eCmVpzFSk -- snore. Wake me up when I get home.

And isn't that part of the point? So many people expect constant
terror. The reality is actually boring.

> P.S. dissenting opinion on taking the lane: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS1yP8jJXIs
Kind of goofy, but fun.

Goofy is right. He shows so many car crashes you'd think he's trying to
say motoring is foolish. And it's interesting that a video of a cyclist
running into the back of a car is "proof" that you shouldn't take the
lane!

Note: When I ride near lane center, I always take care to have my eyes
open.*

(*The things you have to explain to some people!)

--
- Frank Krygowski

Frank Krygowski

May 30, 2015, 12:14:26 AM5/30/15
IIRC (and correct me if I'm wrong) you eventually said they pulled out
from a side road almost directly in front of the truck. And it's true,
they shouldn't have done that. Nobody is advising such a move.

> So, essentially your "take the lane" advice, while perhaps logical in
> certain situations is not the cure all solution that you seem to be
> trying to market it as.

I've never marketed it as a cure all solution. FWIW, as safety chairman
of my bike club, I've written articles almost every month on some aspect
of bike safety. There's been far more to say than just "take the lane."

OTOH, when teaching in any field, the principles that are most important
and most often ignored are the ones that should get the most emphasis
and repetition. (I was noted for hammering into my students that I
wanted them to always explicitly show units of measurements and their
conversions in every calculation.) And any casual observation of
American cyclists will show that there are far more gutter bunnies than
riders properly controlling lanes. Heck, look at the arguments the lane
control idea gets in this forum, despite links to dozens of
corroborating sources, despite examination of crash causes, despite
citations of legal decisions, etc.

>> In the case of a higher speed highway, IME they seldom have blind curves
>> that hide cyclists until the last second. That's based on my riding in
>> 47 U.S. states (so far) and about a dozen foreign countries. High-speed
>> roads that do have blind curves or sharp hill crests almost always have
>> low traffic, meaning the problem you cite comes up infrequently.
>
> I'm in Phuket at the moment and I can assure you that on the "road to
> town" where traffic is usually passing me when I'm doing 80 KPH in my
> old pickup, there are at least three places where the road curves
> sufficiently that you cannot see a cycle 100 Meters ahead and several
> hills that are sufficiently abrupt that the same conditions apply.

I can only comment on the places where I've ridden. The place I found
most uncomfortable for lane control was Tallinn, Estonia (although I had
no trouble in another smaller Estonian town). Another very avid rider
of my acquaintance claimed that the formerly communist eastern European
countries were unpleasant that way. He theorized that those who were
finally rose out of communist poverty and scarcity were lording it over
those they perceived as being sticks in the mud, so to speak. I can't
say whether his sociological guess was correct.

I can envision there might be countries this doesn't work at all - say,
places where the rule of law is extremely weak, or places with an
intense "might makes right" culture. (And as I've said, nothing works
100% of the time.) But it's clear to me that in westernized, generally
non-cycling countries, the vast majority of cyclists have grossly
inflated "fear from the rear," and they actually subject themselves to
extra risk by gutter hugging.

>> In the unusual instances where those problems arise, I've done fine by
>> paying attention to the possibility of traffic from behind.
>
> But Frank, you don't say that, you say, "take the lane". You imply
> that in the wide truck, narrow road situation, that you describe, that
> every thing will be hunky-dory if one just takes the lane.

My experience, having done it thousands of times, is that yes,
everything is hunky-dory if one properly uses their right to the road.
It's not that nobody _ever_ honks at me. It's not that nobody _ever_
passes closer than I'd like. But the honks are rare and don't bother
me; and the close passes are far fewer than in my gutter-hugging days.

> Now you say "take the lane, but watch your arse" which is a
> significantly different thesis.

Well, I know one nationally-known bicycling advocate who emphasizes the
use of a rear view mirror, and in fact emphasizes it enough that it
irritates some of his colleagues. I do like my eyeglass mirror and do
keep an eye on rearward traffic, but I can't think of a situation where
it's really made a difference. So I don't think it deserves as much
emphasis.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Frank Krygowski

May 30, 2015, 12:25:18 AM5/30/15
This has been in the UVC since at least the year 2000:

"11-1205-Position on roadway
(a) Any person operating a bicycle or a moped upon a roadway at less
than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the
conditions then existing shall ride as close as practicable to
the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway except under any
of the following situations:
1. When overtaking and passing another bicycle or vehicle
proceeding in the same direction.
2. When preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into
a private road or driveway.
3. When reasonably necessary to avoid conditions' including
but not limited to: fixed or moving objects; parked or moving vehicles;
bicycles; pedestrians; animals; surface hazards; or substandard width
lanes that make it unsafe to continue along the right-hand curb
or edge. For purposes of this section, a "substandard width lane" is
a lane that is too narrow for a bicycle and a motor vehicle to travel
safely side by side within the lane."

Note that last part, please.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Frank Krygowski

May 30, 2015, 12:31:42 AM5/30/15
On 5/29/2015 10:01 PM, John B. wrote:
The point of lane control is not to deliberately impede others. The
point is to avoid a lane position that puts the rider at unnecessary risk.

Despite the skepticism in this forum, the Uniform Vehicle Code and every
adult cycling education scheme I know of recognizes that it's foolish to
ride far right when a lane is not wide enough to safely share. And the
law should not (and AFAIK does not) require a person to endanger
themselves in order to save another person fifteen seconds.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Sir Ridesalot

May 30, 2015, 12:33:55 AM5/30/15
Also note this part in describing what "as far right' means = "...or substandard width lanes that make it unsafe to continue along the right-hand curb or edge."

CURB or EDGE neither of which is the center of the lane!

Cheers

Frank Krygowski

May 30, 2015, 12:34:28 AM5/30/15
On 5/29/2015 8:09 PM, jbeattie wrote:
> On Friday, May 29, 2015 at 1:36:06 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
>> On Friday, May 29, 2015 at 9:06:34 AM UTC-4, John B. wrote:
>>> I have nor read every state's traffic regulations but the three I did
>>> read all stated that "thou shall not impede other traffic" (in
>>> Biblical terms :-) so while the three states did specifically state
>>> that bicycles had a right to use the road none of them gave the
>>> bicycle a right to impede other users.
>>
>> Courts have decided otherwise, setting useful legal precedents when
>> doing so.
>>
>> This man was instrumental in one of the more important cases.
>> http://www.ohiobikelawyer.com/uncategorized/2010/09/share-the-road-stinks/
>>
>> Essentially (IIRC) the appeals court judges ruled that the capabilities of
>> the vehicle must be taken into account. So farm tractors, delivery vans,
>> post office trucks, garbage trucks, heavy loads, scooters and bicyclists
>> are not required to abandon their rights to the road because they
>> can't go fast. The few exceptions are usually limited access highways.
>> But even those are legal for cyclists in many western U.S. locations.
>
> That Ohio case applies in Ohio and clearly does not represent the law in most states.

Oh, and IIRC that Ohio case was decided based partly on a precedent set
in Georgia, regarding farm equipment that could not reach the speed
limit. Steve Magas (the lawyer for the victorious cyclist) believes
that the cycling case in Ohio is a valuable precedent for use in other
states.

On the other hand, IANAL. Perhaps you should discuss this with Steve.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Sir Ridesalot

May 30, 2015, 12:36:11 AM5/30/15
#3 in your UVA clearly states right hand curb or edge not lane center except where it's unsafe to ride along the right hand curb or edge!

Cheers

Frank Krygowski

May 30, 2015, 12:48:55 AM5/30/15
If you're trying to justify riding right at the edge, you'll need to try
again. The UVC says to ride "as close as practicable" to the curb or
edge. That doesn't mean to ride right at it. In fact, given that some
degree of wobble is unavoidable on a bicycle, it's clear that riding
right at the edge is not "practicable."

AFAIK, nobody with any official standing requires edge riding. And
incidentally, some of my riding buddies are cops, ex-cops, professors of
criminal justice, highway patrolmen, lawyers, etc.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Frank Krygowski

May 30, 2015, 12:50:46 AM5/30/15
On 5/30/2015 12:36 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

> #3 in your UVA clearly states right hand curb or edge not lane center
except where it's unsafe to ride along the right hand curb or edge!

OK, Sir: Ten foot lane, 8.5 foot truck. Are you really claiming it's
safe to ride along the right hand curb or edge? _Really_??

--
- Frank Krygowski

Sir Ridesalot

May 30, 2015, 2:23:11 AM5/30/15
geeze Frank. The UVC you quoted says as far RIGHT as practical and it's that UVC that uses the words curb and adge which all together means not in the center of the lane.

You keep trotting out that 10 feet (not foot btw as feet is plural) wide lane and 8.5 feet wide truck. The UVC says that if it's not safe to share that lane then tthe bicyclist can ride further left. BUT that does NOT mean that a bicyclist can ride in the center of every lane which is what you continually espouse no matter the conditions or width of the lane. If you ride lane center in heavy traffic and you impede the flow of that traffic then you are breaking the law and pissing off other road users who are travelling faster than you. Those other road users could be motorcyclists and/or bicyclists. If the impeded traffic is motor vehicles then pissing them off just makes them more determined to either get bicyclists off the road altogether or lobby to have bicycles licensed. Either one is detrimental to promoting bicycling.

Cheers

sms

May 30, 2015, 2:38:03 AM5/30/15
You fold it in I guess. The short flags sold commercially are not a
problem though.

Duane

May 30, 2015, 6:00:57 AM5/30/15
Quebec law states that if the lane is not wide enough for the vehicle to
safely pass the vehicle must leave the lane to pass when it's safe to do
so. It does not give the cyclist or other slow moving vehicle the right to
take the lane. In Frank's tiresome "test case" it's clearly the
responsibility of the overtaking vehicle to pass safely.

This is where we'll hear about the failure of our local bike advocacy.
Although we have a much larger cycling foot print than Ohio with a smaller
population. And btw a better safety record for cyclists. So I'm not sure
how our advocacy is failing exactly other than by not agreeing with Frank.

I'll use a famous quote from from Lafcadio Hearn. Better to live here in
sack cloth and ashes than to own the whole state of Ohio. He was talking
about New Orleans but it seems to fit. It seems you have to risk your life
in Ohio by pulling in front of trucks to keep them from killing you.

Like Jay says there are times you can move left to indicate your intention.
But it's not the cure-all that some or at least one makes it out to be.

duane

John B.

May 30, 2015, 9:05:37 AM5/30/15
No Frank, that wasn't what happened and I doubt very much that I would
have described it in such terms. They entered via a slip road at
perhaps a 10 or 15 degree angle to the main road.

>> So, essentially your "take the lane" advice, while perhaps logical in
>> certain situations is not the cure all solution that you seem to be
>> trying to market it as.
>
>I've never marketed it as a cure all solution. FWIW, as safety chairman
>of my bike club, I've written articles almost every month on some aspect
>of bike safety. There's been far more to say than just "take the lane."

Frank you just went on at some length about the wide truck and the
narrow road, a somewhat similar incident to what I described. and you
said "Take the Lane!"

>ONTOH whenn teaching in any field, the principles that are most important
Frank, we weren't trying to analyze bicycle fears. Simply trying to
determine why someone chants the mantra "Take the Lane; Take the Lane;
Take the lane" as, apparently, a all purpose act, and when someone
does as advised and dies the defense is "Oh, they shouldn't have done
that".

>>> In the unusual instances where those problems arise, I've done fine by
>>> paying attention to the possibility of traffic from behind.
>>
>> But Frank, you don't say that, you say, "take the lane". You imply
>> that in the wide truck, narrow road situation, that you describe, that
>> every thing will be hunky-dory if one just takes the lane.
>
>My experience, having done it thousands of times, is that yes,
>everything is hunky-dory if one properly uses their right to the road.
>It's not that nobody _ever_ honks at me. It's not that nobody _ever_
>passes closer than I'd like. But the honks are rare and don't bother
>me; and the close passes are far fewer than in my gutter-hugging days.
>
>> Now you say "take the lane, but watch your arse" which is a
>> significantly different thesis.
>
>Well, I know one nationally-known bicycling advocate who emphasizes the
>use of a rear view mirror, and in fact emphasizes it enough that it
>irritates some of his colleagues. I do like my eyeglass mirror and do
>keep an eye on rearward traffic, but I can't think of a situation where
>it's really made a difference. So I don't think it deserves as much
>emphasis.

Gee Frank, you seem to have a very selective memory. I remember a big
to-do over "right turn" crashes a while ago and I seem to remember
that you had something to say in that furor. Now, it has been my
experience that looking behind you to see if anyone is overtaking and
looks as though he might turn is very helpful in avoiding these type
of accidents, but apparently you see no need for that sort of
foolishness.
--
Cheers,

John B.

John B.

May 30, 2015, 9:05:39 AM5/30/15
Well Frank, the purpose of the semi trailer truck I saw hauling a
great monstrous power boat down to the port so it could be loaded on a
ship wasn't to deliberately impede either. I'm sure the driver just
wanted to get his load to the destination so he could get paid.

But the Police took the attitude that intentions be damned, he was
impeding other road users and parked him on the side of the road until
midnight when the escorted him the rest of the way.... and than
charged him for the escort.

>Despite the skepticism in this forum, the Uniform Vehicle Code and every
>adult cycling education scheme I know of recognizes that it's foolish to
>ride far right when a lane is not wide enough to safely share. And the
>law should not (and AFAIK does not) require a person to endanger
>themselves in order to save another person fifteen seconds.
--
Cheers,

John B.

jbeattie

May 30, 2015, 10:20:34 AM5/30/15
Frank, we're talking about impeding laws -- and this is why Ohio is unusual. Note section (C) please:

4511.22 Slow speed.
(A) No person shall stop or operate a vehicle, trackless trolley, or street car at such an unreasonably slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, except when stopping or reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or to comply with law.

(B) Whenever the director of transportation or local authorities determine on the basis of an engineering and traffic investigation that slow speeds on any part of a controlled-access highway, expressway, or freeway consistently impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, the director or such local authority may declare a minimum speed limit below which no person shall operate a motor vehicle, trackless trolley, or street car except when necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law. No minimum speed limit established hereunder shall be less than thirty miles per hour, greater than fifty miles per hour, nor effective until the provisions of section 4511.21 of the Revised Code, relating to appropriate signs, have been fulfilled and local authorities have obtained the approval of the director.

(C) In a case involving a violation of this section, the trier of fact, in determining whether the vehicle was being operated at an unreasonably slow speed, shall consider the capabilities of the vehicle and its operator.

(D) Except as otherwise provided in this division, whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor. If, within one year of the offense, the offender previously has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to one predicate motor vehicle or traffic offense, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree. If, within one year of the offense, the offender previously has been convicted of two or more predicate motor vehicle or traffic offenses, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the third degree.

Effective Date: 01-01-2004; 09-21-2006

The Oregon version (and most versions) say nothing about the "capabilities of the vehicle and its operator." As far as I know, the Ohio law is unique. http://www.lsc.ohio.gov/analyses126/h0389-rh-126.pdf

Look at the usual UVC section, as illustrated by ORS § 811.130
Impeding traffic
* penalty
(1) A person commits the offense of impeding traffic if the person drives a motor vehicle or a combination of motor vehicles in a manner that impedes or blocks the normal and reasonable movement of traffic.
(2) A person is not in violation of the offense described under this section if the person is proceeding in a manner needed for safe operation.
(3) Proceeding in a manner needed for safe operation includes but is not necessarily limited to:
(a) Momentarily stopping to allow oncoming traffic to pass before making a right-hand or left-hand turn.
(b) Momentarily stopping in preparation of, or moving at an extremely slow pace while, negotiating an exit from the road.
(4) A person is not in violation of the offense described under this section if the person is proceeding as part of a funeral procession under the direction of a funeral escort vehicle or a funeral lead vehicle.
(5) The offense described in this section, impeding traffic, is a Class D traffic violation. [1983 c.338 §569; 1985 c.16 §288; 1989 c.433 §1; 1991 c.482 §18; 1995 c.383 §45]

We also have this law, which specifically applies to bikes:

ORS § 811.425¹
Failure of slower driver to yield to overtaking vehicle
* penalty
(1) A person commits the offense of failure of a slower driver to yield to overtaking vehicle if the person is driving a vehicle and the person fails to move the persons vehicle off the main traveled portion of the highway into an area sufficient for safe turnout when:
(a) The driver of the overtaken vehicle is proceeding at a speed less than a speed established in ORS 811.105 (Speeds that are evidence of basic rule violation) as prima facie evidence of violation of the basic speed rule;
(b) The driver of the overtaking vehicle is proceeding at a speed in conformity with ORS 811.105 (Speeds that are evidence of basic rule violation);
(c) The highway is a two directional, two-lane highway; and
(d) There is no clear lane for passing available to the driver of the overtaking vehicle.
(2) This section does not apply to the driver of a vehicle in a funeral procession.
(3) The offense described in this section, failure of a slower driver to yield to overtaking vehicle, is a Class B traffic violation. [1983 c.338 §640; 1991 c.482 §16; 1995 c.383 §68; 2001 c.104 §307; 2003 c.819 §15]

Our exception to the "ride right" rule is also written slightly differently than yours:

[ride right except]

"When reasonably necessary to avoid hazardous conditions including, but not limited to, fixed or moving objects, parked or moving vehicles, bicycles, pedestrians, animals, surface hazards or other conditions that make continued operation along the right curb or edge unsafe or to avoid unsafe operation in a lane on the roadway that is too narrow for a bicycle and vehicle to travel safely side by side. Nothing in this paragraph excuses the operator of a bicycle from the requirements under ORS 811.425 (Failure of slower driver to yield to overtaking vehicle) or from the penalties for failure to comply with those requirements."

You can take the lane when it is necessary to "avoid unsafe operation in a lane that is too narrow for a bicycle and vehicle to travel side by side." So, you can take the lane to prevent unsafe passing in the lane, for example. But if there is no traffic in the opposite direction, there is no reason to assume that anyone will pass unsafely. Your statute is similar, and I don't think either of them gives a cyclist a free pass to ride lane center simply because a lane is too narrow to be shared - but both statues are vague, and there are no reported Oregon cases on point (at least that I recall sitting here -- I'm going for a ride on a plastic bike and don't want to bother looking).

-- Jay Beattie.

Frank Krygowski

May 30, 2015, 11:25:32 AM5/30/15
Related:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/devoted-doctor-henri-sueke-killed-in-rose-bay-cycling-to-kids-ward/story-fni0cx4q-1227372284446

First, in keeping with newspapers' standard practice, you can tell that
the doctor was wearing a helmet. They usually omit the "h" word if one
was worn; and it is Australia, where they're mandatory.

But note, he was close enough to the parked car that his pedal may have
gouged the paint. It got him killed.

I'd have controlled the lane.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Frank Krygowski

May 30, 2015, 12:02:32 PM5/30/15
The Ohio code section on minimum speeds applies only to freeways.
That's moot.

Ohio law specifically permits cyclists to control a lane that's too
narrow to safely share. So does Oregon's, as you've quoted. Many other
states have versions of the same idea in their codes, written for this
specific purpose. So does the UVC, as I quoted above. I'm surprised
you're claiming those statutes are "vague."

Regarding the UVC : Are you going to try to pretend that its intent is
to prevent the operation of a 20 mph farm tractor on public roads? Or
the steep uphill passage of an 80,000 pound truck? Sorry, that's silly.
But in any case, the UVC's specific permission for bicyclists makes
that point moot, as well.

We have case precedent that the capabilities of the vehicle must be
taken into account. We have, in every state, the practice of letting
slow vehicles use the road even if some road users are slightly delayed.
And again, this idea of controlling narrow lanes is universal among
legitimate cycling education courses and documents, AFAIK. This has
arisen because of vast experience showing that - contrary to your
assertion - there is _plenty_ of evidence that doing otherwise promotes
dangerously close passing, and that lane control helps dissuade it.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Frank Krygowski

May 30, 2015, 12:12:53 PM5/30/15
Where was that? What did the law specifically say? Was the "great
monstrous power boat" load within standard size and weight limits?

In our state (and the rest of the U.S., AFAIK) there are special rules
for oversize and overweight vehicles, requiring permits, escorts, etc.
But trucks under 80,000 pounds and under 8.5' width are allowed to
travel on almost all roads (exceptions are residential streets, etc.)
even if they can't travel at the speed limit. On regular roads, it's an
upper limit anyway, not a lower limit. In the mountains of Virginia and
West Virginia, such trucks are frequently seen climbing 65 mph freeways
at 25 mph.

Some states have "five or more" laws, requiring pulling over if that
number of motor vehicles are unable to pass. Four vehicle operators are
expected to just be patient. And even those laws do not require that
the slow vehicle operator put himself in danger to do so.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Frank Krygowski

May 30, 2015, 12:24:50 PM5/30/15
On 5/30/2015 2:23 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

> geeze Frank. The UVC you quoted says as far RIGHT as practical and it's that UVC
that uses the words curb and adge which all together means not in the
center of the lane.

OK, let's try breaking it down for you, Sir. Here are the relevant
parts of the UVC text:

""11-1205-Position on roadway
(a) Any person operating a bicycle or a moped upon a roadway at less
than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the
conditions then existing shall ride as close as practicable to
the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway except ... [in]
substandard width lanes that make it unsafe to continue along the
right-hand curb or edge. For purposes of this section, a "substandard
width lane" is a lane that is too narrow for a bicycle and a motor
vehicle to travel safely side by side within the lane."

Pay very, very close to the word "except."

> You keep trotting out that 10 feet (not foot btw as feet is plural)
wide lane and 8.5 feet wide truck. The UVC says that if it's not safe
to share that lane then tthe bicyclist can ride further left. BUT that
does NOT mean that a bicyclist can ride in the center of every lane which
is what you continually espouse no matter the conditions or width of the
lane.

Nope. I've repeatedly said that I share lanes that are wide enough to
be safely shared. You need to stop arguing against what you _think_ I
say (or pretend I say), and address my actual statements. Oh, and the
actual statements of essentially every adult cycling education program
or book in the English speaking world.

I know there are plenty of cyclists who think "Oooh, I'd never want to
inconvenience any driver, and I'll risk my own life so they don't try to
kill me." But those milquetoasts never manage to get publishers for
their ideas. Do you wonder why?

--
- Frank Krygowski

Frank Krygowski

May 30, 2015, 12:26:55 PM5/30/15
So tell us, Duane, in my test case - 10' lane, 8.5' truck - where _do_
you ride? How close to the curb, or dropoff, or parked car?

--
- Frank Krygowski

Frank Krygowski

May 30, 2015, 12:42:27 PM5/30/15
On 5/30/2015 9:05 AM, John B. wrote:
> On Sat, 30 May 2015 00:14:20 -0400, Frank Krygowski
> <frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> On 5/29/2015 10:01 PM, John B. wrote:
>>>

>>> I described an incident where two women and two kids, on a 100 cc
>>> motorcycle did exactly that and the results was one truck turned over
>>> and the driver injured sufficiently to be admitted to the hospital,
>>> one woman and one child killed in the crash and the other woman and
>>> child were admitted to the hospital "in critical condition".
>>>
>>> You replied to my post saying, "they shouldn't have done that".
>>
>> IIRC (and correct me if I'm wrong) you eventually said they pulled out
>>from a side road almost directly in front of the truck. And it's true,
>> they shouldn't have done that. Nobody is advising such a move.
>>

> No Frank, that wasn't what happened and I doubt very much that I would
> have described it in such terms. They entered via a slip road at
> perhaps a 10 or 15 degree angle to the main road.

<sigh> The point was, did they yield to the oncoming truck, or did they
pull directly in front of him? I thought you said it was the latter.
And again, nobody is claiming a cyclist should suddenly pull in directly
in front of a high speed vehicle directly behind him.

> Frank you just went on at some length about the wide truck and the
> narrow road, a somewhat similar incident to what I described. and you
> said "Take the Lane!"

"Somewhat similar" except in the most critical aspect. Again, nobody's
ever said taking the lane should be a sudden move directly in front of a
passing vehicle.

> Frank, we weren't trying to analyze bicycle fears. Simply trying to
> determine why someone chants the mantra "Take the Lane; Take the Lane;
> Take the lane" as, apparently, a all purpose act...

That's straw man nonsense. I've written here, and in many other places,
quite a lot about other techniques of competent riding.

However, riding too far right for safety is very common, and it does
encourage dangerously close passes, right hooks and left crosses.

Riding facing traffic is also the root cause of lots of car-bike
crashes. But warnings against that practice generate fewer online
debates. I suppose those dudes aren't into cycling enough to discuss
their ideas; but they, too, think they already know everything about how
to ride, despite never having actually taken a cycling class, read a
proper book (or even pamphlet) on riding.

>> I do like my eyeglass mirror and do
>> keep an eye on rearward traffic, but I can't think of a situation where
>> it's really made a difference. So I don't think it deserves as much
>> emphasis.
>
> Gee Frank, you seem to have a very selective memory. I remember a big
> to-do over "right turn" crashes a while ago and I seem to remember
> that you had something to say in that furor. Now, it has been my
> experience that looking behind you to see if anyone is overtaking and
> looks as though he might turn is very helpful in avoiding these type
> of accidents, but apparently you see no need for that sort of
> foolishness.

Hmm. OK, we seem to be shifting the topic of discussion. That's fine;
but why not look back and see what I actually said on that topic, rather
than giving more "I seem to remember" straw man stuffing?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Message has been deleted

jbeattie

May 30, 2015, 4:20:53 PM5/30/15
You need to read the statutes more carefully. There is no common law of traffic. It's statutory. The Ohio statute is peculiar and is not the law in every state -- or anywhere else from what I can tell.

Under the UVC, slow moving vehicles must yield to faster traffic on one-lane (each way) roads -- without regard to the physical fitness of the driver, except in Ohio. in your scenario, the slow moving tractor on a one lane road must yield to faster traffic. In other words, it has to pull of when it is safe and let traffic by. Tractor drivers often fail to do that, but it doesn't mean they're following the law.

The Oregon statute gives a bicyclist the right to take the lane to avoid "unsafe operation" within a lane that is too narrow to share. Crossing the center line to pass is not unsafe operation -- so if there is room to pass (no oncoming traffic), the statute does not give riders a free pass to take the lane -- not as written.

The take-away from all of this is that the rules of the road for bicyclists can vary significantly from one state to another. You cannot tell a rider in another state how he or she should ride -- not without looking at state and local law. In fact, city ordinances may affect where an how a bicyclist can use the roads or sidewalks.

-- Jay Beattie.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Frank Krygowski

May 30, 2015, 11:39:34 PM5/30/15
On Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 4:20:53 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:

> You need to read the statutes more carefully. There is no common law of traffic. It's statutory. The Ohio statute is peculiar and is not the law in every state -- or anywhere else from what I can tell.
>
> Under the UVC, slow moving vehicles must yield to faster traffic on one-lane (each way) roads -- without regard to the physical fitness of the driver, except in Ohio. in your scenario, the slow moving tractor on a one lane road must yield to faster traffic. In other words, it has to pull of when it is safe and let traffic by. Tractor drivers often fail to do that, but it doesn't mean they're following the law.
>
> The Oregon statute gives a bicyclist the right to take the lane to avoid "unsafe operation" within a lane that is too narrow to share. Crossing the center line to pass is not unsafe operation -- so if there is room to pass (no oncoming traffic), the statute does not give riders a free pass to take the lane -- not as written.
>
> The take-away from all of this is that the rules of the road for bicyclists can vary significantly from one state to another. You cannot tell a rider in another state how he or she should ride -- not without looking at state and local law. In fact, city ordinances may affect where an how a bicyclist can use the roads or sidewalks.
>
> -- Jay Beattie.

Jay, I realize you're a lawyer and I'm not. But I also realize that Steve
Magas is a lawyer. So is Bob Mionske. So are a couple of the guys I ride with.
So are people on staff at the League of American Bicyclists, other guys on
the board of the Ohio Bicycle Federation, other folks in other state
bicycling advocacy organizations.

Despite what you say, your view on controlling a narrow lane seems to be
in disagreement with what all those people say. Don't pretend that I'm
the only person recommending riding far enough left to control a lane.
It's the standard advice in the League's education programs, in the
Cycling Savvy courses, in CAN-BIKE, and in similar cycling courses in
other countries. Are all the lawyers associated with all those
education programs wrong? I doubt it.

To paraphrase and old joke: I don't think everyone's out of step except
our little Jay.

- Frank Krygowski

Joy Beeson

May 30, 2015, 11:39:55 PM5/30/15
On Fri, 29 May 2015 23:46:31 -0400, Frank Krygowski
<frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Have you ridden there?

Been about sixty years since I did, but I'll bet one thing about
Florida hasn't changed: If you leave the pavement, you sink deep into
loose sand.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

jbeattie

May 31, 2015, 2:13:59 AM5/31/15
Wake me up when Bob has any published opinions -- or even a case on any Oregon docket. BTW, it's not just little Jay that thinks impeding traffic is an infraction. http://law.justia.com/cases/oregon/court-of-appeals/2002/a115242.html

Note the absence of any reference in that opinion of Ohio law, Bob Mionske or Steve Magas -- or Frank Krygowski. I'm not saying that "controlling the lane" doesn't make sense -- it does sometime -- but it's also illegal sometimes. If you want to parse the language of a statute and argue what it means, that's one thing, but don't be an ass and drop names (or insults). I couldn't imagine getting in front of a judge and arguing the meaning of Oregon statute based on a Velo News column or a Commute Orlando YouTube video. I don't know about your friends, but in the last 29 years of arguing in front of judges and appellate courts, I have never once relied on material published by Cycling Savvy.

Now, if I'm trying to prove the standard of care (rather than the requirements of the Oregon VC), I might call an expert on riding technique -- and I've done that a few times. But that has nothing to do with what a statute says or requires. That's where you keep going south -- arguing about the "right way" rather than what the express terms of a statue say. The "right way" would get me in to trouble in Oregon, particularly with our bike lane laws.

--Jay Beattie.

Andre Jute

May 31, 2015, 4:03:44 AM5/31/15
Interesting to see whether Franki-boy has the sense to shut up.

Andre Jute

Sir Ridesalot

May 31, 2015, 11:45:03 AM5/31/15
On Sunday, May 31, 2015 at 4:03:44 AM UTC-4, Andre Jute wrote:
> Interesting to see whether Franki-boy has the sense to shut up.
>
> Andre Jute

Short answer = No.

In many things it;s his way or you're wrong. Never mind if your experiences trying his way are different or if it's illegal to do it his way im your locale - you're still wrong.

Cheers

Frank Krygowski

May 31, 2015, 12:04:01 PM5/31/15
OK, you said "I'm not saying that "controlling the lane" doesn't make
sense -- it does sometime -- but it's also illegal sometimes."

Then perhaps we're in violent agreement once again. I've never said
it's _never_ illegal to control a lane. The case you cited was a
Critical Mass ride, in which the defendant was apparently convicted for
doing what CM riders purposely do: obstruct traffic unnecessarily, yell
at police officers, and generally make asses of themselves in order to
make a point. That's FAR different from what I advise.

So what do I advise? Let's review. I say that when a lane is too
narrow to be safely shared by the cyclist and a passing motor vehicle,
the cyclist should ride far enough left to strongly discourage the
motorist from passing too close. I also say that when a lane is wide
enough to be safely shared, I _do_ share the lane and I advise others to
do the same.

(And for further parenthetical details: 1) In those very few instances
where I've had many cars backed up behind me, I have pulled over when
safe to let them pass. 2) I'm counting a usable bike lane as if it were
part of "the lane," which means I wouldn't generally need to be far left
of a decent bike lane. 3) And I've never ridden in a Critical Mass
ride, and don't advise doing so as they are normally organized.)

Unless I misunderstand your posts, you have been claiming that
controlling even an obviously too-narrow lane is illegal. (Correct me
if I'm wrong about that.) I dispute that, and judging by their
behavior, their discussions with me, their writing or their legal work,
so does every bike riding lawyer I'm aware of. So does every cop and
former cop I've ridden with. Hell, I've attended bike events where cops
who had developed well-reputed bike education programs gave exactly the
same advice I give.

Furthermore, even if a lawyer can work the algebraic equations of law to
show that the behavior I advise is prohibited by law, I doubt it makes a
practical difference in even one situation out of ten thousand. There
have been many times I've controlled narrow lanes in front of cop cars,
as well as when riding with cops and lawyers. The practice is even more
reasonable than, say, staying clipped in and balancing at 1 mph at a
stop sign. (Something else I've done directly in front of a cop car,
BTW.) I think citations are essentially nonexistent for controlling an
obviously narrow lane.

You don't like my name dropping. Sorry about that. But you haven't
explained why the advice given by all those lawyers and cops I mentioned
is different than your own. Do you want to do that now?

--
- Frank Krygowski

jbeattie

May 31, 2015, 12:15:21 PM5/31/15
And let me be clear that I'm not arguing over the "standard of care," viz., what a skilled rider "should do." I'm just saying that local law may prohibit a cyclist from "controlling the lane" if that means impeding traffic or riding outside a bike lane.

As a general rule, its permissible to ride on sidewalks so long as you don't exceed the speed of pedestrian traffic. It's illegal in downtown Portland, however. It is generally illegal to ride on interstate highways. It is legal in most rural areas in Oregon. Passing on the right on a one-lane road is generally illegal, except that is legal for bicycles in Oregon. Running stops on a bicycle is illegal in Oregon, but rolling stops are legal in many other states. Impeding and passing laws are all over the map -- Washington (where I might ride today -- still thinking about it) has a "five car" rule. http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.61.427 If you are moving slowly on a one lane (each way) road and five "vehicles" stack up behind you, you have to move off the road and let them pass. No "controlling the lane" parades for Frank in Washington -- even if he's just holding up five other bicycles.

-- Jay Beattie.

jbeattie

May 31, 2015, 12:41:25 PM5/31/15
It's simple -- you're citing supposed experts on the standard of care. I'm talking about the language of particular statutes. It's ships passing in the night.

Generally speaking, you can "control" an obviously too narrow lane for a period of time until it becomes impeding or failure to allow passing or whatever approach is taken in the particular state. Parades require a permit -- most places, but perhaps not in Ohio under your impeding law.

Remember that when you control the lane, you control it for everybody -- including other cyclists. This is probably not much of a concern for you (or even part of your consciousness) because, AFAIK, you don't ride in an area with lots of other cyclists. I get the pleasure of plodding along in traffic (or forced filtering) every morning because some flower child is controlling traffic at 10mph. It upsets motorists and puts me in what amounts to a three lane cattle drive with lots of angry cows trying to get around an obstacle. I suppose I'm upset because it's a downhill, and you have to work to gum-up traffic at morning commute speeds -- but people do that because they're bicycles, damn it, and they're entitled to take the lane.

-- Jay Beattie.

Sir Ridesalot

May 31, 2015, 12:54:34 PM5/31/15
Used to get those plodding bicyclist holding up ALL other traffic in Toronto on a very busy east-west main road. It really irked me that it was so hard to pass them even though I was on a bicycle. Fortunately I was able to use, once I discovered it, a very nice country-like road that paralelled that mani road. It's bicyclists that insist on "taking and controlling the lane" even when there is traffic backing up behind them that gives all bicyclists a bad name and leads to many motorists demanding that bicycles be bannished from the roads and/or the licensing of all bicyclists. The licensing bit is so that law breaking bicyclists including those impedeing the flow of traffic can be reported and/or ticketed and/or lose their priviledge just like motorists.

Cheers

sms

May 31, 2015, 1:09:52 PM5/31/15
On 5/30/2015 7:20 AM, jbeattie wrote:

<snip>

> Frank, we're talking about impeding laws -- and this is why Ohio is unusual. Note section (C) please:

<snip huge response>

> -- Jay Beattie.

You got sucked into data-centric responses to a clever troll who hates
facts and data. Don't they teach you not to do that in law school.

Frank Krygowski

May 31, 2015, 2:28:52 PM5/31/15
On 5/31/2015 12:15 PM, jbeattie wrote:

> I'm just saying that local law may prohibit a cyclist from "controlling the lane"
if that means impeding traffic or riding outside a bike lane.

If that's all you're saying - that local law _may_ be against it - yes,
I agree. That's obvious, because tremendously stupid laws exist. (For
example, in Oregon, it's illegal for a motorist to pump his own gas.
And of course, it's illegal for a kid to ride his bike from his driveway
to his friend's driveway across their cul-de-sac residential street
unless the kid straps on a helmet for the five second trip.)

Until last year, it was illegal in my town for a cyclist to ride a bike
across a "through intersection." It was illegal for a cyclist to ride
on the street if there was a sidewalk. It was illegal to park a bike
without locking it. It was illegal for a cyclist to say "Excuse me" to
warn a pedestrian. (Only horns or bells could be used for pedestrian
warnings.)

The list of foolish laws went on and on, and was completely ignored by
everyone. I got the laws repealed.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Frank Krygowski

May 31, 2015, 2:45:42 PM5/31/15
On 5/31/2015 12:41 PM, jbeattie wrote:

> It's simple -- you're citing supposed experts on the standard of care.
I'm talking about the language of particular statutes. It's ships
passing in the night.

OK. In the post I just finished, I agree that there can be a law
against safely controlling a lane, just as there can be a law against
pumping gas into one's own car. Stupid laws do exist.

> Generally speaking, you can "control" an obviously too narrow lane for
a period of time until it becomes impeding or failure to allow passing or
whatever approach is taken in the particular state.

Nice, thank you. I think I'll save that quote.

> Remember that when you control the lane, you control it for everybody --
including other cyclists. This is probably not much of a concern for you
(or even part of your consciousness) because, AFAIK, you don't ride in an
area with lots of other cyclists. I get the pleasure of plodding along in
traffic (or forced filtering) every morning because some flower child is
controlling traffic at 10mph. It upsets motorists and puts me in what
amounts to a three lane cattle drive with lots of angry cows trying to
get around an obstacle. I suppose I'm upset because it's a downhill,
and you have to work to gum-up traffic at morning commute speeds -- but
people do that because they're bicycles, damn it, and they're entitled
to take the lane.

We don't have nearly the density of bicyclists that you do (in fact, no
place in the U.S. does, AFAIK). So my riding among other cyclists is
usually confined to club rides and a rare mass cycling event. (I tend
to stay away from those, except when doing volunteer support.)

On club rides, I tend to converse with almost everyone at various times.
I do encounter times when I'm behind a clot of riders going much
slower than I like, usually on uphills. My usual solution is to say "On
your left" and go around. At times, that means I'm passing them by
using the oncoming lane of a two lane road. For me, it's never a big
problem.

But then, Ohio law is on my side. (I can't be ticketed for leaving a
bike lane, for example.)

--
- Frank Krygowski

Frank Krygowski

May 31, 2015, 2:50:21 PM5/31/15
On 5/31/2015 12:54 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

> Used to get those plodding bicyclist holding up ALL other traffic
in Toronto on a very busy east-west main road. It really irked me
that it was so hard to pass them even though I was on a bicycle.
Fortunately I was able to use, once I discovered it, a very nice
country-like road that paralelled that mani road. It's bicyclists
that insist on "taking and controlling the lane" even when there
is traffic backing up behind them that gives all bicyclists a bad
name and leads to many motorists demanding that bicycles be bannished
from the roads and/or the licensing of all bicyclists. The licensing
bit is so that law breaking bicyclists including those impedeing the
flow of traffic can be reported and/or ticketed and/or lose their
priviledge just like motorists.

Again, I control a lane only when necessary. It's very rare for a
motorist to audibly complain, although some idiots do complain.

Regarding demands for banishment or licences, those are probably evident
only in internet posts and the occasional letter to the editor. They're
about as logical as demands that everyone give up their car. I wouldn't
worry about them.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Sir Ridesalot

May 31, 2015, 8:20:38 PM5/31/15
I just love the way you disregard everything anyone says that doesn't match your agenda or experience. There are many areas where motorists are trying to get bicyclists off the roads or into bike lanes. Many of those motorists are very active in doing that. Not worrying about would mean that you as a bicyclist would do nothing to stop it!

Cheers

John B.

May 31, 2015, 8:55:36 PM5/31/15
Did you also get the "Slow Traffic Keep Right" regulations I used to
see posted on U.S. roads repealed?
--
cheers,

John B.

John B.

May 31, 2015, 9:02:40 PM5/31/15
On Sun, 31 May 2015 09:15:19 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
<jbeat...@msn.com> wrote:

>On Sunday, May 31, 2015 at 8:45:03 AM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
>> On Sunday, May 31, 2015 at 4:03:44 AM UTC-4, Andre Jute wrote:
>> > Interesting to see whether Franki-boy has the sense to shut up.
>> >
>> > Andre Jute
>>
>> Short answer = No.
>>
>> In many things it;s his way or you're wrong. Never mind if your experiences trying his way are different or if it's illegal to do it his way im your locale - you're still wrong.
>
>And let me be clear that I'm not arguing over the "standard of care," viz., what a skilled rider "should do." I'm just saying that local law may prohibit a cyclist from "controlling the lane" if that means impeding traffic or riding outside a bike lane.

Frank,of course, is speaking ONLY of roads that he has ridden over,
but in Thailand the law states, specifically, that Bicycles and
Motorcycles shall be ridden on the left side of the road. And I knew a
bloke that did get a ticket for riding in the right lane, so the laws
are enforced.

>As a general rule, its permissible to ride on sidewalks so long as you don't
>exceed the speed of pedestrian traffic. It's illegal in downtown Portland, however.

In several parts of Bangkok there are "bike lanes" that are simply
green stripes painted on sidewalks, and labeled. But I've never seen
anyone ride on these "bike lanes" as the sidewalk pavement is rougher
than the highway :-)

--
cheers,

John B.

Frank Krygowski

May 31, 2015, 9:12:51 PM5/31/15
If I knew of a place where that was really happening, I'd probably work
at stopping it.

I do worry that organizations like the useless League of American
Bicyclists has apparently stopped caring about our rights to the road,
to concentrate instead on dreams of segregated facilities. But AFAIK in
Ohio or in Pennsylvania (the two states where I do most of my riding)
there's no current effort to either forbid cycling or to require
licenses. Maybe you could link to a report about a place where that is
going on.

There are, of course, constant efforts to forbid cycling without some
type of special hat. I do work against those efforts. Unfortunately,
some here mock me for that. Go figure.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Frank Krygowski

May 31, 2015, 9:15:37 PM5/31/15
In my state, slow traffic is still supposed to keep right. But as I
understand it, the operators aren't required to endanger themselves to
do so.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Frank Krygowski

May 31, 2015, 9:18:31 PM5/31/15
On 5/31/2015 9:02 PM, John B. wrote:

> In several parts of Bangkok there are "bike lanes" that are simply
> green stripes painted on sidewalks, and labeled. But I've never seen
> anyone ride on these "bike lanes" as the sidewalk pavement is rougher
> than the highway :-)

In Vienna, Austria we came upon some truly weird bike routes/lanes.
They wandered onto the sidewalk, back off the sidewalk, into parking
lots, sometimes into the street, etc. My wife and I were frequently
stopping and asking each other "OK, do you see any signs? Where do you
think they want us to go _now_?"

--
- Frank Krygowski

John B.

May 31, 2015, 9:22:08 PM5/31/15
Ships passing :-)

The internationally accepted "rules of the Road", The Merchant
Shipping (Distress Signals and Prevention of Collisions) Regulations,
that control ship traffic specify that a "sailing vessel" has the
right of way over motor vessels, with, of course, many exceptions, but
an "overtaking Vessel" always has the obligation to avoid the
overtaken vessel.

Perhaps the inclusion of some such language in the road traffic rules
would reduce bike accidents.

--
cheers,

John B.

jbeattie

May 31, 2015, 10:27:06 PM5/31/15
Frank, do you mean a helmet or, in fact, a special hat -- like a fedora. Are there mandatory Fedora laws? Pork Pie? Fez? Yarmulke?

-- Jay Beattie.

James

May 31, 2015, 11:51:28 PM5/31/15
On 31/05/15 13:39, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> On Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 4:20:53 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:
>>
>> You need to read the statutes more carefully. There is no common
>> law of traffic. It's statutory. The Ohio statute is peculiar and
>> is not the law in every state -- or anywhere else from what I can
>> tell.
>>
>> Under the UVC, slow moving vehicles must yield to faster traffic on
>> one-lane (each way) roads -- without regard to the physical fitness
>> of the driver, except in Ohio. in your scenario, the slow moving
>> tractor on a one lane road must yield to faster traffic. In other
>> words, it has to pull of when it is safe and let traffic by.
>> Tractor drivers often fail to do that, but it doesn't mean they're
>> following the law.
>>
>> The Oregon statute gives a bicyclist the right to take the lane to
>> avoid "unsafe operation" within a lane that is too narrow to share.
>> Crossing the center line to pass is not unsafe operation -- so if
>> there is room to pass (no oncoming traffic), the statute does not
>> give riders a free pass to take the lane -- not as written.
>>
>> The take-away from all of this is that the rules of the road for
>> bicyclists can vary significantly from one state to another. You
>> cannot tell a rider in another state how he or she should ride --
>> not without looking at state and local law. In fact, city
>> ordinances may affect where an how a bicyclist can use the roads or
>> sidewalks.
>>

> Jay, I realize you're a lawyer and I'm not. But I also realize that
> Steve Magas is a lawyer. So is Bob Mionske. So are a couple of the
> guys I ride with. So are people on staff at the League of American
> Bicyclists, other guys on the board of the Ohio Bicycle Federation,
> other folks in other state bicycling advocacy organizations.
>
> Despite what you say, your view on controlling a narrow lane seems to
> be in disagreement with what all those people say. Don't pretend
> that I'm the only person recommending riding far enough left to
> control a lane. It's the standard advice in the League's education
> programs, in the Cycling Savvy courses, in CAN-BIKE, and in similar
> cycling courses in other countries. Are all the lawyers associated
> with all those education programs wrong? I doubt it.
>
> To paraphrase and old joke: I don't think everyone's out of step
> except our little Jay.

I'll control a lane while I have the cooperation of the following driver.

I have at times bailed out when the driver of an approaching vehicle
shows no signs of accommodating me.

You wouldn't indicate and move to lane control position without first
getting the cooperation of a driver approaching from behind, would you?
It would be like stepping on to a pedestrian crossing with blinkers
on, and just expecting the drivers to stop.

--
JS

sms

Jun 1, 2015, 12:23:21 AM6/1/15
On 5/31/2015 7:27 PM, jbeattie wrote:
> On Sunday, May 31, 2015 at 6:12:51 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:

<snip>

>> There are, of course, constant efforts to forbid cycling without some
>> type of special hat. I do work against those efforts. Unfortunately,
>> some here mock me for that. Go figure.
>
> Frank, do you mean a helmet or, in fact, a special hat -- like a fedora. Are there mandatory Fedora laws? Pork Pie? Fez? Yarmulke?

LOL, whenever someone starts the "foam hat" schtick you know you're
about to be subjected to an avalanche of fake studies and fabricated
data. Now he's changed it to a "special hat." Priceless.

Sir Ridesalot

Jun 1, 2015, 1:37:32 AM6/1/15
A long time ago when I bailed in order not to get run over by an 18-wheeler Frank told me I shouldn't be riding in traffic if I was such a "scardy cat" and that i should hace stayed in the lane as that 18-wheeler would have slowed before hitting me.

Btw, notice how once again Frank has introduced helmets into a thread?

Cheers

Andre Jute

Jun 1, 2015, 1:56:33 AM6/1/15
Law school, like most schools, is taught by idealists. They really, really believe that there is nobody so obstinate and obstructive in the world that you cannot talk some sense into them. Jay should take Krygowski along to an alumni dinner and give them a rude, rude shock from the real world.

Andre Jute
LOL
It is loading more messages.