No 26 TPI threaded rod in USA?

John Doe

Jul 5, 2016, 1:24:42 AM7/5/16
That's inconvenient.

That means we have to throw money at China for 3/8" 26 TPI axle material
just to get an axle that's not bent?

My thread measuring tool doesn't even include 26 TPI. It goes from 24 to 27
TPI. The only threaded rod I see available here in the USA is 24 TPI.

Jeff Liebermann

Jul 5, 2016, 1:55:55 AM7/5/16
Perhaps throw you cash at the UK?
3/8-26 is a BSCy (British Standard Cycling) axle.
Threaded rods seem to be available with a Google search:
<https://www.google.com/#q=3%2F8-26%20threaded%20rod>
<https://www.google.com/#q=3%2F8-26+die>
<https://www.google.com/#q=3%2F8-26+bicycle+axle>
No clue which is the best vendor.

--
Jeff Liebermann je...@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

John Doe

Jul 5, 2016, 2:16:48 AM7/5/16
Google isn't my friend.

You might want to look at the results instead of just spitting them out
there. Or maybe it's just another slopportunity to display your signature.

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Jul 5, 2016, 8:58:14 AM7/5/16
possible here USA this size is used for an in motion nut mechanism

see McMaster Carr

I wuz looking at fabbing a remote headlamp aiming mechanism

otherwise try the Practical Machinist

https://www.google.com/#q=threaded+rod+3%2F8ths-26+is+metric

AMuzi

Jul 5, 2016, 9:19:30 AM7/5/16
Coaster brake? New axle and also axle nuts, locknuts etc are
cheap at any competent LBS which regularly services bicycles.

Older British hub? You want a Whitworth (55 degree thread,
not 60-degree SAE) gauge. Spares are not all that common but
may be had. British-made freewheel hubs are frequently
rebuilt with modern metric axle sets of better quality.

Or is it a modern standard m10x1 metric axle? Cheap as dirt
anywhere bicycles are serviced. That 25.4tpi advancement can
appear 'sorta between 24 & 28'.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Jeff Liebermann

Jul 5, 2016, 10:45:12 AM7/5/16
On Tue, 5 Jul 2016 06:16:46 -0000 (UTC), John Doe
<alway...@message.header> wrote:

>Google isn't my friend.
>
>You might want to look at the results instead of just spitting them out
>there. Or maybe it's just another slopportunity to display your signature.

You're welcome.

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Jul 5, 2016, 3:16:05 PM7/5/16

John Doe

Jul 5, 2016, 4:07:10 PM7/5/16
McMaster Carr does not have 26 TPI threaded bolts.

John Doe

Jul 5, 2016, 4:11:48 PM7/5/16
You acted helpful, but it was only an act.

If anyone ever needs to know, they will thank me for not being sent
on a wild goose chase.

--
Jeff Liebermann <jeffl cruzio.com> wrote in news:9vhnnb5doo3huupj545uer9lrc4oa5mc3f 4ax.com:

> From: Jeff Liebermann <jeffl cruzio.com>
> Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
> Subject: Re: No 26 TPI threaded rod in USA?
> Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2016 07:45:09 -0700
>
> On Tue, 5 Jul 2016 06:16:46 -0000 (UTC), John Doe
> <always.look message.header> wrote:
>
>>Google isn't my friend.
>>
>>You might want to look at the results instead of just spitting them out
>>there. Or maybe it's just another slopportunity to display your signature.
>
> You're welcome.
> --
> Jeff Liebermann jeffl cruzio.com

John Doe

Jul 5, 2016, 4:48:38 PM7/5/16
AMuzi <a...@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

> John Doe wrote:

>> That's inconvenient.
>>
>> That means we have to throw money at China for 3/8" 26 TPI axle
>> material just to get an axle that's not bent?
>>
>> My thread measuring tool doesn't even include 26 TPI. It goes from 24
>> to 27 TPI. The only threaded rod I see available here in the USA is
>> 24 TPI.
>
> Coaster brake?

I suppose. I looked at those but noticed apparently they are sold with
only one cone (outer bearing race).

> New axle and also axle nuts, locknuts etc are cheap at
> any competent LBS which regularly services bicycles.

That might depend on your definition of "cheap". Can you post a link to
any such sales of cones for 24 TPI axles by bike shops that have an online
presence?

I haven't even found a place on the Internet to buy the cones for 24 TPI
axles.

And I wonder if a 24 TPI axle will work with the most common bicycle hubs
meant for 3/8 inch 26 TPI threaded rods and cones.

I would switch if that's what's necessary, but at first look it appears to
be difficult. But of course that might just be inexperience talking.

> Older British hub? You want a Whitworth (55 degree thread, not
> 60-degree SAE) gauge. Spares are not all that common but may be had.
> British-made freewheel hubs are frequently rebuilt with modern metric
> axle sets of better quality.
>
> Or is it a modern standard m10x1 metric axle? Cheap as dirt anywhere
> bicycles are serviced. That 25.4tpi advancement can appear 'sorta
> between 24 & 28'.

I'm talking about the most common axle for geared consumer grade bikes,
that's what's listed as (3/8" 26t). It appears to be much closer to 27 TPI
than it is to 24 TPI.

I suppose the most common axle threading might not really be 26 TPI, it
might easily be metric, but everybody calls it 26 TPI. The axles I have
appear to be less than .371 inch diameter which isn't exactly 3/8 inch.
That might be because of the threading process, or it might be because
they are metric and aren't really 3/8 inch diameter.

It does seem strange that European or Chinese bicycle makers would change
a 24 TPI specification to something non-metric like 26 TPI. So maybe it's
not really 26 TPI.

In any case... It's a bit strange and disappointing that the most common
axle "26 TPI" threaded rod is not sold in the United States. But oh well.

I ordered a couple of replacement axle assemblies for the standard 3/8
inch 26 TPI axles that appear on most geared consumer bikes, just to get
the axles.

That's my workaround. If it satisfies, maybe I'll know more of the lingo
by the next time I need help with it.

AMuzi

Jul 5, 2016, 5:21:35 PM7/5/16
Right, it's not an SAE format.

If you want a bolt ( not an axle) try Whitworth 3/16-26t:

http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/fab-parts/hardware/bolts-fasteners/whitworth.html

Whitworth are measured by radius not diameter. In a handy
way the wrench size matches the radius.

sms

Jul 5, 2016, 6:39:57 PM7/5/16
You can find some 3/8" 26 TPI axles on eBay. Not sure if they are the
length you are looking for. I.e. <http://www.ebay.com/itm/122017856161>.
But finding a local bike shop with any is going to be tough.

I had a broken 10.5mm x 26TPI nut and Andrew Muzi had some and sold them
to me. No LBS had any. One local shop had some 13/32 x 26 TPI
(13/32=10.32) which would have worked well enough. So contact Andrew and
I'm sure he could set you up with what you need.

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Jul 5, 2016, 6:41:22 PM7/5/16
right, I wrote this. M CARR has similar used for mechanisms...expensive.

try Wheels 9.5 ?

what you need is a conversion.

RETHREAD !

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Jul 5, 2016, 7:03:16 PM7/5/16
hahahahehehewuhwuh.....nothin a solid #10 wont cure

John Doe

Jul 5, 2016, 8:41:05 PM7/5/16
sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> John Doe wrote:

>> That's inconvenient.
>>
>> That means we have to throw money at China for 3/8" 26 TPI axle
>> material just to get an axle that's not bent?
>>
>> My thread measuring tool doesn't even include 26 TPI. It goes from 24
>> to 27 TPI. The only threaded rod I see available here in the USA is
>> 24 TPI.
>
> You can find some 3/8" 26 TPI axles on eBay. Not sure if they are the
> length you are looking for. I.e.
> <http://www.ebay.com/itm/122017856161>. But finding a local bike shop
> with any is going to be tough.

Yes 3/8" 26 TPI axles are easy to find on fleaBay. I ordered a couple of
them as a workaround.

To fix all of the bent axles by just buying some threaded rod and
cutting it to size would be easy and a lot cheaper, if only 26 TPI
threaded rod were available in the USA. Buying threaded rod would be
great since that would provide a choice between different types of
steel.

Maybe someday I will be able to convert to some 24 TPI threaded rod
axle, but I'm not familiar enough with the equipment to figure it out
right now.

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Jul 5, 2016, 10:02:36 PM7/5/16
ask The Practical Machinist

Wheels axles are super. Very strong against freewheel bending but ver straightenable in a vise with a 11 pound short handle hammer. sendum an email inquiry

Frank Krygowski

Jul 5, 2016, 10:23:27 PM7/5/16
On 7/5/2016 8:41 PM, John Doe wrote:
> sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:
>
>> John Doe wrote:
>
>>> That's inconvenient.
>>>
>>> That means we have to throw money at China for 3/8" 26 TPI axle
>>> material just to get an axle that's not bent?
>>>
>>> My thread measuring tool doesn't even include 26 TPI. It goes from 24
>>> to 27 TPI. The only threaded rod I see available here in the USA is
>>> 24 TPI.
>>
>> You can find some 3/8" 26 TPI axles on eBay. Not sure if they are the
>> length you are looking for. I.e.
>> <http://www.ebay.com/itm/122017856161>. But finding a local bike shop
>> with any is going to be tough.
>
> Yes 3/8" 26 TPI axles are easy to find on fleaBay. I ordered a couple of
> them as a workaround.
>
> To fix all of the bent axles by just buying some threaded rod and
> cutting it to size would be easy and a lot cheaper, if only 26 TPI
> threaded rod were available in the USA. Buying threaded rod would be
> great since that would provide a choice between different types of
> steel.
>
> Maybe someday I will be able to convert to some 24 TPI threaded rod
> axle, but I'm not familiar enough with the equipment to figure it out
> right now.

You can also buy rolls of baling wire and try making your own spokes, I
suppose. Not that I recommend it.

--
- Frank Krygowski

John Doe

Jul 5, 2016, 11:42:42 PM7/5/16
A nym-shifting troll...

--
Frank Krygowski <frkrygow sbcglobal.net> wrote in news:nlhq2t$q0j$2 dont-email.me:

> From: Frank Krygowski <frkrygow sbcglobal.net>
> Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
> Subject: Re: No 26 TPI threaded rod in USA?
> Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2016 22:23:25 -0400

AMuzi

Jul 6, 2016, 8:25:44 AM7/6/16
On 7/5/2016 7:41 PM, John Doe wrote:
> sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:
>
>> John Doe wrote:
>
>>> That's inconvenient.
>>>
>>> That means we have to throw money at China for 3/8" 26 TPI axle
>>> material just to get an axle that's not bent?
>>>
>>> My thread measuring tool doesn't even include 26 TPI. It goes from 24
>>> to 27 TPI. The only threaded rod I see available here in the USA is
>>> 24 TPI.
>>
>> You can find some 3/8" 26 TPI axles on eBay. Not sure if they are the
>> length you are looking for. I.e.
>> <http://www.ebay.com/itm/122017856161>. But finding a local bike shop
>> with any is going to be tough.
>
> Yes 3/8" 26 TPI axles are easy to find on fleaBay. I ordered a couple of
> them as a workaround.
>
> To fix all of the bent axles by just buying some threaded rod and
> cutting it to size would be easy and a lot cheaper, if only 26 TPI
> threaded rod were available in the USA. Buying threaded rod would be
> great since that would provide a choice between different types of
> steel.
>
> Maybe someday I will be able to convert to some 24 TPI threaded rod
> axle, but I'm not familiar enough with the equipment to figure it out
> right now.

A short visit to any competent LBS which commonly services
bicycles would benefit you greatly. It's almost certainly an
m9.5x1.0 solid axle (from your various descriptions) which
may be replaced by a name-brand m10x1 axle set for roughly
$10~$20.

Usual admonitions- change the bearings as well, cleanliness
matters, fill with grease to the depth of the bearing,
adjust as free as possible without sideplay, oil axle
threads and lock locknuts firmly.

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Jul 7, 2016, 8:47:39 PM7/7/16
wait .... what does

fill with silicon bicycle hub grease to depth of bearing

mean in English ?

we doahn oil the axle threads in the 21C, we clean threads n nuts....then add red Loctite on one side the left and blue lock on the right

oil.....divinity deleted no wonder you left town......

John Doe

Jul 8, 2016, 5:40:14 AM7/8/16
So all of the axle rod on eBay and Amazon sold as 26 TPI is actually
metric rod at one thread per millimeter.

Thanks.

AMuzi

Jul 8, 2016, 8:14:12 AM7/8/16
I am not an expert on threaded rod or hardware on ebay
generally.

OP never mentioned which hub he has (I asked twice) but I
think I know something about bicycle parts.

David Scheidt

Jul 8, 2016, 8:48:27 AM7/8/16
AMuzi <a...@yellowjersey.org> wrote:
The OP thinks bike parts are too expensive, and wishes to break his
bike better by using shit from the hardware store.

--
sig 52

jbeattie

Jul 8, 2016, 10:21:51 AM7/8/16
The simple, split the difference approach would be to get a bunch of 10X1 rod and some new cones. If the axles are shot and need replacing, the cones are probably shot, too. Then hack away. And when that doesn't work, at least he'll have the right cones. I'm sure you can buy bags of cones from China for like a dollar.

BTW, why would someone need bulk axles? Is John Doe maintaining a BMX fleet?

-- Jay Beattie.

John Doe

Jul 8, 2016, 6:51:25 PM7/8/16
Anybody who thinks that simply cutting a threaded rod in order to
replace an axle is rocket science should not be in a technical help
group for hardware issues.

But seriously. This reply is just clueless...

--
David Scheidt <dscheidt panix.com> wrote in news:nlo7eq$bfr$2 reader1.panix.com:

> From: David Scheidt <dscheidt panix.com>
> Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
> Subject: Re: No 26 TPI threaded rod in USA?
> Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2016 12:48:26 +0000 (UTC)
>
> AMuzi <am yellowjersey.org> wrote:
>:On 7/8/2016 4:40 AM, John Doe wrote:
>:> AMuzi <am yellowjersey.org> wrote:
>:>

John Doe

Jul 8, 2016, 7:12:44 PM7/8/16
> The simple, split the difference approach would be to get a bunch of
> 10X1 rod and some new cones. If the axles are shot and need
> replacing, the cones are probably shot, too. Then hack away. And
> when that doesn't work, at least he'll have the right cones. I'm sure
> you can buy bags of cones from China for like a dollar.

Not sure about the price of cones, but the idea behind replacing an axle
is very simple. An axle is simply a threaded rod cut to a certain
length. Therefore, simply replacing that threaded rod with a threaded
rod is a no-brainer if you can find the correct diameter and thread
pitch threaded rod. Everybody knows how to use a rotary tool for the
cutting.

Buying threaded rod would be good for a selection of steel types, and
then being able to cut the rod to any length, but... only if a foot or
two of the threaded rod from the hardware supplier like McMaster Carr
here in the USA is less expensive than buying the equivalent precut
axles in whatever configuration/kit off of eBay or Amazon.

At first glance, finely threaded metric rod appears to be more expensive
at McMaster Carr. Don't know about its hardness versus the easily bent
crap from China.

> BTW, why would someone need bulk axles? Is John Doe maintaining a BMX
> fleet?

That idea is a figment of your imagination.

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Jul 8, 2016, 8:06:52 PM7/8/16
imagination....

NO. The approach used here by the OP is for a racer on new parts replacing new parts with newer parts new OIL...maybe s serious tourer but that's a stretch.

what the OP has is a worn out mechanism.

threaded rods via M Carr are for specific purposes

LIKE BICYCLE AXLES , but not from M Carr whom is not selling bicycle axles, WHEELS MFG sells bicycle axles.

If Wheels isnot selling the Eng standad then move into a metric conversion.

This is your best path with the best materials.

Its all nickel n dime whats the problem ? Good stuff at low costs...this is the bottom line here.

IHS

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Jul 8, 2016, 8:06:55 PM7/8/16

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Jul 8, 2016, 8:10:12 PM7/8/16
sig 52

//////////////////////////

reads like J is taking Creative Writing

sms

Jul 8, 2016, 8:13:42 PM7/8/16
On 7/8/2016 7:21 AM, jbeattie wrote:
> On Friday, July 8, 2016 at 5:48:27 AM UTC-7, David Scheidt wrote:

<snip>

> The simple, split the difference approach would be to get a bunch of 10X1 rod and some new cones. If the axles are shot and need replacing, the cones are probably shot, too. Then hack away. And when that doesn't work, at least he'll have the right cones. I'm sure you can buy bags of cones from China for like a dollar.
>
> BTW, why would someone need bulk axles? Is John Doe maintaining a BMX fleet?

Besides finding threaded rod with the proper diameter and thread pitch,
you also have to ensure that it isn't just made from mild steel, like
the threaded rod normally sold at hardware stores. McMaster sells grade
8 and grade 12.9. $65.52 for one meter. Then you have to be able to cut
such hard steel.

There are times when using commodity hardware on a bicycle makes sense,
and times when it makes no sense.

John Doe

Jul 8, 2016, 8:27:08 PM7/8/16
sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> jbeattie wrote:

> <snip>

>> The simple, split the difference approach would be to get a bunch of
>> 10X1 rod and some new cones.

> you have to ensure that it isn't just made from mild steel, like the
> threaded rod normally sold at hardware stores.

Yep. That's what the Internet is for. I buy aluminum on the Internet
instead of at the local hardware store, too. The Internet is vastly more
capable than any local shop.

> McMaster sells grade 8 and grade 12.9. $65.52 for one meter.

Yep, that's the way it appears to be. I would check elsewhere if I were
still looking.

> Then you have to be able to cut such hard steel.

Cutting hard steel with a rotary tool is easy.

Cutting it yourself means you can make any length you desire.

> There are times when using commodity hardware on a bicycle makes
> sense,

It certainly is worth a look if all you are doing is replacing a
threaded rod.

jbeattie

Jul 8, 2016, 8:34:12 PM7/8/16
It's a question, not an idea. Are you replacing a lot of axles for some reason? If not, decent heat treated threaded steel rod, depending on available length, could be more expensive than buying a couple cheap finished axles and cones. https://www.amazon.com/HUB-AXLE-SET-8x26x126x175-Wdust/dp/B0012ZOTQ8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1468024097&sr=8-4&keywords=bike+axle

If you're doing a fleet, maybe threaded rod would pay off.

-- Jay Beattie.

John Doe

Jul 8, 2016, 8:40:44 PM7/8/16
This has been been pointed out already several times in this thread...

--
jbeattie <jbeattie57 msn.com> wrote in news:777ec728-8dc4-407d-84fe-320a6cde184a googlegroups.com:

> Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
> Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2016 17:34:10 -0700 (PDT)
> Subject: Re: No 26 TPI threaded rod in USA?
> From: jbeattie <jbeattie57 msn.com>

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Jul 8, 2016, 8:47:42 PM7/8/16
ahhhh its J2

gnaw grade 8 isnot bicycle axle. Bicycle axle resists bending yet repirable when slightly out of straight.

not with G8

Wheels is more costly.

Andrew, what's thread percentage on good axles ? axles n nuts.

depends....early Jaanese UFO axles were firly stiff threading but not that feel with the flattopped < Carr rods.

I use M Carr grade 5 for machine rod uses just because. itsnot that $$$ and so who knows...grade up. standard hardware rod is much like standard bicycle axle rod

BTW DOAHN FORGET uncut rod is stronger than cut rod.

John Doe

Jul 8, 2016, 8:49:02 PM7/8/16
Regular nym-shifting troll...

--
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH <avagadro7 gmail.com> wrote in news:8292b2b2-1ec1-4f98-9d1c-ff58c4d9ea7a googlegroups.com:

> Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
> Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2016 17:47:40 -0700 (PDT)
> Subject: Re: No 26 TPI threaded rod in USA?
> From: DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH <avagadro7 gmail.com>

John B.

Jul 8, 2016, 10:05:11 PM7/8/16
The question is, "why do you want 3/8" - 26 tpi stuff"? I'm not 100
percent sure about all bike axles, but all the bike axles I have
worked with have been heat treated and it is doubtful that "all
thread" rod" if that is what you mean by "threaded rod" will be heat
treated and is thus, likely, not strong enough for bike axles.

You also, I believe, mentioned a "directional light" or some such
terminology but simply clamping a fixed light to the front forks the
handle bars makes it directional.

And Velo-Orange sells, or sold a widget to mount a light to the front
axle:
http://velo-orange.blogspot.com/2008/04/low-down-light-mounts.html

--
cheers,

John B.

John Doe

Jul 8, 2016, 10:30:10 PM7/8/16
> The question is, "why do you want 3/8" - 26 tpi stuff"?

I'm impressed that nobody here seems to get it. But it's good that I can
offer something. You're welcome.

> I'm not 100 percent sure about all bike axles, but all the bike axles
> I have worked with have been heat treated and it is doubtful that "all
> thread" rod" if that is what you mean by "threaded rod" will be heat
> treated and is thus, likely, not strong enough for bike axles.

I didn't realize it was a rocket science, but I have been in the
metalworking group for years. Such metal comes in all sorts of different
alloys and treatments. Some metal is more varied than others. The more
complex your need about the shape and size, the fewer alloys and
treatment choices you will have. For example... Ordinary round rod comes
in all sorts of styles while threaded rod will come in fewer styles.

> You also, I believe, mentioned a "directional light" or some such
> terminology but simply clamping a fixed light to the front forks the
> handle bars makes it directional.

Many moons ago, Yes. FWIW... I can't say enough about modern LED
headlamps. I know LED lights are used on fixed mounts, but a headlamp is
much better. A light fixed to the handlebars is not directional in the
sense that it's easy as turning and tilting your head, not even close.

For anyone with an open mind... Do not hesitate, buy a modern LED
headlamp. You want the light to follow your eyes and that's exactly what
a headlamp does. Not to mention the fact that it's great for projects
and cleaning. Besides cycling, my headlamp is used whenever doing
something around the house. Mine is a Fenix HL-55. I don't like the
headband, but the strap could be replaced.

jbeattie

Jul 8, 2016, 10:36:27 PM7/8/16
SS fasteners from the hardware store have served me well, and I was toying with buying some generic 6806 bearings instead of "BB30" bearings since I already have the clips and washers. I whimped out and bought some Enduro magical bicycle specific BB30 bearings. They were on sale over at Western Bikeworks, so I didn't get fleeced too badly.

The only solid axles I have are on my track bike, and the likelihood that I'm going to hack up some rod to replace those (if I ever needed to), is zero. I don't use hose-clamps for HS locknuts either. Some DYI stuff is just too hokey, but then again, I don't need anything that isn't available OTC. I don't need to custom fabricate bear deflectors or mountain lion guards. Anything I need I can can get from QBP.

-- Jay Beattie.

John B.

Jul 9, 2016, 5:25:03 AM7/9/16
On Fri, 8 Jul 2016 19:36:25 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie <jbeat...@msn.com>
wrote:

>On Friday, July 8, 2016 at 5:13:42 PM UTC-7, sms wrote:
>> On 7/8/2016 7:21 AM, jbeattie wrote:
>> > On Friday, July 8, 2016 at 5:48:27 AM UTC-7, David Scheidt wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> > The simple, split the difference approach would be to get a bunch of 10X1 rod and some new cones. If the axles are shot and need replacing, the cones are probably shot, too. Then hack away. And when that doesn't work, at least he'll have the right cones. I'm sure you can buy bags of cones from China for like a dollar.
>> >
>> > BTW, why would someone need bulk axles? Is John Doe maintaining a BMX fleet?
>>
>> Besides finding threaded rod with the proper diameter and thread pitch,
>> you also have to ensure that it isn't just made from mild steel, like
>> the threaded rod normally sold at hardware stores. McMaster sells grade
>> 8 and grade 12.9. $65.52 for one meter. Then you have to be able to cut
>> such hard steel.
>>
>> There are times when using commodity hardware on a bicycle makes sense,
>> and times when it makes no sense.
>
>SS fasteners from the hardware store have served me well, and I was toying with buying some generic 6806 bearings instead of "BB30" bearings since I already have the clips and washers. I whimped out and bought some Enduro magical bicycle specific BB30 bearings. They were on sale over at Western Bikeworks, so I didn't get fleeced too badly.

I think it highly unlikely that the people that sell "bicycle
bearings" actually make "bicycle bearings" and if you get the
specifications, "BB30" isn't a bearing specification, they are widely
available from reputable manufacturers.

My experiences have been that buying the same identical bearing from a

--
cheers,

John B.

John B.

Jul 9, 2016, 5:40:25 AM7/9/16
Well, I've been the metal working business for many years longer than
there has been an Internet :-) and yes metal comes in all shapes and
sizes.

But when you start to get specific it, sometimes gets rare and
expensive. If you go the local metal shop and ask for "all thread" rod
they will normally have it and you will likely have a choice of
"stainless or regular".

If you want something exotic like SAE 4140 R40 it will may well be
available from a much larger supplied. And I think that someone has
posted that something similar is available for $21.66 a foot, in 3
foot lengths. Which, frankly, makes a standard bicycle axle available
from any bike shop look rather desirable.

>> You also, I believe, mentioned a "directional light" or some such
>> terminology but simply clamping a fixed light to the front forks the
>> handle bars makes it directional.
>
>Many moons ago, Yes. FWIW... I can't say enough about modern LED
>headlamps. I know LED lights are used on fixed mounts, but a headlamp is
>much better. A light fixed to the handlebars is not directional in the
>sense that it's easy as turning and tilting your head, not even close.
>
>For anyone with an open mind... Do not hesitate, buy a modern LED
>headlamp. You want the light to follow your eyes and that's exactly what
>a headlamp does. Not to mention the fact that it's great for projects
>and cleaning. Besides cycling, my headlamp is used whenever doing
>something around the house. Mine is a Fenix HL-55. I don't like the
>headband, but the strap could be replaced.
--
cheers,

John B.

John Doe

Jul 9, 2016, 7:05:26 AM7/9/16
The Internet has greatly expanded the selection of such things to
ordinary people. McMaster Carr has a huge selection of hardware,
infinitely larger than any local merchant, but is more expensive than
some other online merchants. It's good for starters. I got a good deal
on high quality aluminum from (www.onlinemetals.com).

https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=804&step=2&top_cat=197

> And I think that someone has posted that something similar is
> available for $21.66 a foot, in 3 foot lengths. Which, frankly, makes
> a standard bicycle axle available from any bike shop look rather
> desirable.

That's at McMaster Carr which with their huge selection is more
expensive than most. It's a bad sign, but that's probably partly because
it's metric. Again, I would look at other online stores but the two
axles I just received look fine for now (if I can figure out how the
others get bent, and to stop it).

I'm sure that finding something even more specific like hollow threaded
rod is very difficult even online, except for bikes.

Lots of old metalworkers in the metalworking group. Lots of trolling,
but also plenty of useful information when I need it from time to time.

(rec.crafts.metalworking)

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Jul 9, 2016, 7:16:08 AM7/9/16
Bicycle axles esp Wheels MFG are made from alloy for bicycle axles.

When bent, the alloy is straighrend. In G8, the tensile strength maybe to great for the required maleable.

A cycle axle is not threaded thru the middle or AFAIK bearing area.

That 26 isn't available surly changes the perspective but not the end.

AMuzi

Jul 9, 2016, 8:28:36 AM7/9/16
On 7/8/2016 5:51 PM, John Doe wrote:
> Anybody who thinks that simply cutting a threaded rod in order to
> replace an axle is rocket science should not be in a technical help
> group for hardware issues.
>
> But seriously. This reply is just clueless...

Oh, I'm sure it's straightforward and easily done but why?

Ungraded bolts? drill rod? Grade 8? 8.8? 12.9?

Bicycle axle sets are a common, cheap and ubiquitous thing,
likely cheaper than comparable quality hardware. Note, when
you finally get to a competent LBS, that complete axle sets
are not a lot more than the axle alone for most products.

p.s. 3d time- what hub is it?

AMuzi

Jul 9, 2016, 8:35:21 AM7/9/16
I've rebuilt quite a few bicycle hubs but never worked on a
UFO. Can't they just levitate?

The pilots are little green men, right? Do they use the AmEx
green card or images of Mr Franklin in green? Replacing an
axle is fine; getting paid is important too.

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Jul 9, 2016, 8:54:35 AM7/9/16
THE ALIENS hid that....

I have at this time, forgotten the name..Nitto ? HARD CONES HARD HARDWAR....

HARD ! Cones would survive rentry with s bit of oscillating EMF.

I do that ....a fun search looking for the ultimate chain oils ...maybe something in DRAG LINES or Mitsubashi Engine Overhauls....somewhere do I find it cheap...AMAZON.....there you go AMAZON rod 26TPI .....A will drone it over from the Magic Isles before the slide into the tea ......

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Jul 9, 2016, 8:57:16 AM7/9/16

Frank Krygowski

Jul 9, 2016, 10:50:24 AM7/9/16
On 7/8/2016 10:30 PM, John Doe wrote:
> John B. <slocom...@gmail.xyz> wrote:
>
>> The question is, "why do you want 3/8" - 26 tpi stuff"?
>
> I'm impressed that nobody here seems to get it. But it's good that I can
> offer something. You're welcome.
>
>> I'm not 100 percent sure about all bike axles, but all the bike axles
>> I have worked with have been heat treated and it is doubtful that "all
>> thread" rod" if that is what you mean by "threaded rod" will be heat
>> treated and is thus, likely, not strong enough for bike axles.
>
> I didn't realize it was a rocket science, but I have been in the
> metalworking group for years.

You've been dissatisfied with the group responses to your question. But
the problem is not with the group; it's with the question.

People in this group have extensive experience with bicycle technology
and bike problems. But you didn't ask about those. You asked about
sourcing some obscure metal stock.

Apparently you already assumed that stuff was the perfect solution to an
unnamed problem. You were wrong. Material that's unavailable is not a
solution.

--
- Frank Krygowski

sms

Jul 9, 2016, 2:10:51 PM7/9/16
On 7/8/2016 5:34 PM, jbeattie wrote:

<snip>

> It's a question, not an idea. Are you replacing a lot of axles for some reason? If not, decent heat treated threaded steel rod, depending on available length, could be more expensive than buying a couple cheap finished axles and cones. https://www.amazon.com/HUB-AXLE-SET-8x26x126x175-Wdust/dp/B0012ZOTQ8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1468024097&sr=8-4&keywords=bike+axle
>
> If you're doing a fleet, maybe threaded rod would pay off.
>
> -- Jay Beattie.

We are being trolled. One more filter entry, "from contains
alway...@message.header delete message"

John Doe

Jul 9, 2016, 6:13:08 PM7/9/16
A normally helpful poster acting clueless...

--
AMuzi <am yellowjersey.org> wrote in news:nlqqli$7qk$1 dont-email.me:

> From: AMuzi <am yellowjersey.org>
> Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech,free.usenet,free.spam
> Subject: Re: No 26 TPI threaded rod in USA?
> Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2016 07:28:48 -0500

John Doe

Jul 9, 2016, 6:14:18 PM7/9/16
Regular troll...

--
Frank Krygowski <frkrygow sbcglobal.net> wrote in news:nlr2ve$288$1 dont-email.me:

> From: Frank Krygowski <frkrygow sbcglobal.net>
> Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
> Subject: Re: No 26 TPI threaded rod in USA?
> Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2016 10:50:21 -0400

John Doe

Jul 9, 2016, 6:24:20 PM7/9/16
This group has more trolling (from regulars) and spam than it has
content. If you are put off by serious technical insight, that's just
tough, I won't lie to please your ego.

Publicly playing with one's imaginary kill file friend is a
not-quite-grown-up response. A grown-up would simply press the ignore
thread key, and return to the tons of off-topic garbage posted to this
group.

A not quite grown up playing with its imaginary kill file friend...

--
sms <scharf.steven geemail.com> wrote in news:nlrena$b28$1 dont-email.me:

> From: sms <scharf.steven geemail.com>
> Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
> Subject: Re: No 26 TPI threaded rod in USA?
> Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2016 11:10:48 -0700
> always.look message.header delete message"

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Jul 9, 2016, 10:20:55 PM7/9/16
Shopping for threaded rod is not serious technical insight.

We discussed your post.

That's the story.

John Doe

Jul 9, 2016, 10:29:11 PM7/9/16
Pointing out the fact that many bicycle axles sold on eBay and Amazon
labeled as 26 TPI are actually metric sized rod at 1 thread per
millimeter is IMO a technical insight discovered with the help of some
replies in this thread.

Some people are like monkeys who jump up and down squawking at the sight
of something new and unusual.

This incessant nym-shifting troll is why USENET sucks for serious
discussion...

--
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH <avagadro7 gmail.com> wrote in news:b4ef406e-f68c-4e0a-a2cd-d1e54dd21147 googlegroups.com:

> Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
> Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2016 19:20:52 -0700 (PDT)
> References: <nlfgao$4ff$1 dont-email.me> <nlhcvr$pke$1 dont-email.me> <nlhk2v$c50$1 dont-email.me> <nlitc5$vb4$1 dont-email.me> <nlnsdr$vpo$1 dont-email.me> <nlo5eh$vkb$1 dont-email.me> <nlo7eq$bfr$2 reader1.panix.com> <29a5d8ab-f9d3-4e5e-81d3-488ef90797cf googlegroups.com> <nlpc19$fld$1 dont-email.me> <777ec728-8dc4-407d-84fe-320a6cde184a googlegroups.com> <nlrena$b28$1 dont-email.me> <nlrtih$un0$3 dont-email.me>
> Subject: Re: No 26 TPI threaded rod in USA?
> From: DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH <avagadro7 gmail.com>

Frank Krygowski

Jul 9, 2016, 11:48:32 PM7/9/16
On 7/9/2016 10:29 PM, John Doe wrote:
> Pointing out the fact that many bicycle axles sold on eBay and Amazon
> labeled as 26 TPI are actually metric sized rod at 1 thread per
> millimeter is IMO a technical insight discovered with the help of some
> replies in this thread.
>
> Some people are like monkeys who jump up and down squawking at the sight
> of something new and unusual.
>
> This incessant nym-shifting troll is why USENET sucks for serious
> discussion...

Calling everybody who posts a "nym-shifting troll" is no help. In fact,
it constitutes trolling.

Perhaps you should go elsewhere for information.

--
- Frank Krygowski

John Doe

Jul 10, 2016, 2:09:13 AM7/10/16
But in fact this asshole did nothing but troll in this thread
from the get-go.

This netcop wannabe troll has its panties in a bind because
it doesn't know how to press the "ignore thread" key...

--
Frank Krygowski <frkrygow sbcglobal.net> wrote in news:nlsgib$em0$1 dont-email.me:

> From: Frank Krygowski <frkrygow sbcglobal.net>
> Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech,free.usenet,free.spam
> Subject: Re: No 26 TPI threaded rod in USA?
> Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2016 23:48:27 -0400
> References: <nlfgao$4ff$1 dont-email.me> <nlhcvr$pke$1 dont-email.me> <nlhk2v$c50$1 dont-email.me> <nlitc5$vb4$1 dont-email.me> <nlnsdr$vpo$1 dont-email.me> <nlo5eh$vkb$1 dont-email.me> <nlo7eq$bfr$2 reader1.panix.com> <29a5d8ab-f9d3-4e5e-81d3-488ef90797cf googlegroups.com> <nlpc19$fld$1 dont-email.me> <777ec728-8dc4-407d-84fe-320a6cde184a googlegroups.com> <nlrena$b28$1 dont-email.me> <nlrtih$un0$3 dont-email.me> <b4ef406e-f68c-4e0a-a2cd-d1e54dd21147 googlegroups.com> <nlsbtk$3jj$1 dont-email.me>

John B.

Jul 10, 2016, 5:29:23 AM7/10/16
On Sat, 9 Jul 2016 11:05:23 -0000 (UTC), John Doe
McMaster-Carr is not some sort of Internet invention. We used to order
stuff from McMaster-0car when I worked in Indonesia in the 1970's.
They used to publish a catalog that was at least 3 inches thick. If
you ordered over so many dollars worth of stuff in one year they sent
you the next year's catalog free.

>I'm sure that finding something even more specific like hollow threaded
>rod is very difficult even online, except for bikes.

Yup I think it would be, as a cylindrical piece of metal with a hole
lengthwise through it is probably referred to as something other than
a "rod".

--
cheers,

John B.

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Jul 10, 2016, 6:23:00 AM7/10/16
Try google search; axle 26 tpi

David Scheidt

Jul 10, 2016, 4:44:06 PM7/10/16
:wrote:

:>On Friday, July 8, 2016 at 5:13:42 PM UTC-7, sms wrote:
:>> On 7/8/2016 7:21 AM, jbeattie wrote:
:>> > On Friday, July 8, 2016 at 5:48:27 AM UTC-7, David Scheidt wrote:
:>>
:>> <snip>
:>>
:>> > The simple, split the difference approach would be to get a bunch of 10X1 rod and some new cones. If the axles are shot and need replacing, the cones are probably shot, too. Then hack away. And when that doesn't work, at least he'll have the right cones. I'm sure you can buy bags of cones from China for like a dollar.
:>> >
[...]

I went to buy some bearings from a bearing shop, and got told to buy
some of the numbers from the chevy dealer. Same part, 1/10 the price.

--
This is a randomly numbered sig.

John Doe

Jul 10, 2016, 5:41:15 PM7/10/16
If that were the reason, finding "McMaster-0car" would be tough too.

Some people have no trouble finding 1 thread per millimeter axles by
searching for "26 TPI". That's made even weirder by the fact that 1 inch
is closer to 25 mm than it is to 26 mm. EBay and Amazon merchants who
sell it don't know how to round numbers.

They should be selling (3/8" 25 TPI) axles... lol

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Jul 10, 2016, 7:19:23 PM7/10/16
well no, there are specific searches and classic searches.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxonomic_rank

axle 26 tpi ..... if available the 26 tpi you need would be in there somewhere.

but, maybe not. Always surprises looking for an as yet unfound item, thought or concept, photograph ....... auto parts location practices.....excellent example of stuff thrown over the landscape without thought to .....bicycle axle 3/8ths inch 26 tpi

that is 3/8th's INCH yes ? in Lower Thames Upper Foulmouth ....

John Doe

Jul 10, 2016, 7:45:49 PM7/10/16
You live like a pig, don't you troll?
That's how it looks by your pictures.

--
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH <avagadro7 gmail.com> wrote in news:124dc7c5-dad8-40f1-a49c-11b4353d6416 googlegroups.com:

> Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
> Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2016 16:19:21 -0700 (PDT)
> Subject: Re: No 26 TPI threaded rod in USA?
> From: DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH <avagadro7 gmail.com>

John B.

Jul 10, 2016, 11:52:37 PM7/10/16
Interesting. My first experience was buying rear wheel bearings for an
International pickup. At the International dealer they were something
like $10.00 each and the 'Bearing, Belt and Bearing" shop, in the same
city they were $2.00. As the International had two bearings per side
that was $40.00 versus $8.00

I've had the same experience with Kenworth trucks and National oil
well drilling rigs :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

David Scheidt

Jul 11, 2016, 9:30:15 AM7/11/16
John B. <slocom...@gmail.xyz> wrote:
:On Sun, 10 Jul 2016 20:44:04 +0000 (UTC), David Scheidt
It's the volume. The bearing was one the shop doesn't stock, but the
chevy dealer does, and chevy bought much of the production of them.
(As I recall, one of the differential bearings for a chevy pickup).
I've had same experience for a number of specialized parts. STuff
that's widely used is usually cheaper.

:I've had the same experience with Kenworth trucks and National oil
:well drilling rigs :-)

--
sig 93

John B.

Jul 11, 2016, 9:48:22 PM7/11/16
On Mon, 11 Jul 2016 13:30:09 +0000 (UTC), David Scheidt
Very likely. My uncle was chief electrician in a small bearing plant
in my home town and I remember him telling abut a run they did for
Ford, I think, that were special to only whatever device Ford was
building at the time.

--
cheers,

John B.

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Jul 12, 2016, 2:00:03 AM7/12/16
Writing 'cartridge bearings' of.

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Jul 12, 2016, 7:57:22 PM7/12/16
unpopular size .....ordering a die is here ordering a set.

see page 4

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Jul 12, 2016, 8:00:27 PM7/12/16
no, I'm rich handsome fast intelligent ...something like James Bond.

industrial photography is an occasional hobby for educational porpoises

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipN5FUipsXSQQ_uY7GdkojDbuSA7tGhc2x9EZjjF

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Jul 12, 2016, 8:36:14 PM7/12/16
no, I'm rich handsome fast intelligent ...something like James Bond.

industrial photography is an occasional hobby for educational porpoises

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipN5FUipsXSQQ_uY7GdkojDbuSA7tGhc2x9EZjjF

///////////////////////////

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPIme4YV669Jjy6-QsYyPJJSvahysgURioGy732

We were hunted by 26 CHP motorcycle cadets in formation as the photo was taken. I was NOT speeding.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMaEQXPsJFfhEspaKPrAuz88lKspuPyePXzSyLX

a gold mine: “they moved to town”

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipM6pAryyRkeH8pG2wVIBaeKZYWQbLl5B-33Nj5z

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPNvnPLT-jfs1c1GQ0cvsw0hjUh0TsBs13UKFe5

famous rustler

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMniNbs35CAR-pKI_M_x0aejurAZv1s07BdGg9P

famous bird

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOJswOVSPiXP9886s2tTNtzzRyloxy3LKabL3oS

Vermont cross country skiing

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipM5Cyw17IOk7H6w-nCJepPpl9OhGZbtbWaewOdN

I asked that buffalo to pose..he did…I asked for a secod pose n he pawed the ground n turned his back.

Driving down the road, I stopped to interview

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipP-mrQ9n8tkQef2DLtqgy3gEs8F6Ozlz6sKwFiF

the head Buffalo n escort barged down off the nearby fields thru the woods to our space to interview me who had just spoken to one of the buffalo.

The Surlyman walked over to the Head Buffalo ….whoa Dude…saved by a Ranger speeding down the road to save Surly’s butt by sliding between Surly and HB.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMDWyvbXeSA1jWez5VwGy-AI_gfEm02MP_gs-iQ

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPRtzCWeNLjA8MBXAzn3t5gHXU9iLMbUjh7j4hp

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipNhn6EPY_PoxNAvhYoaM7FjehgpRI4Wn7jqenaC

more

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipONe49OyN-pYz34uAObVJIsIV2KwcZJPVKpXnoG

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOUca7FHfZBTbt2BNO5ooK6pNY4vXN1E9MrODID

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipNVvSAcJ_BvMU4HccDtAwMi9C07RXkBmtSx5vFH

unprocessed

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipO35bFgjTshbFTVWrLMH_PN5u5odinQW9SBbnms

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipNo7ceU6wF-bNJQ3O28ZOIQHd7kBAarqUd3lLx1

from NY ? at the lake of the great landslide ….moving good uphill. First encounter of a cell phone GPS.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipNh06DowijS_QPkKHNeENXRt3eqgjqSr983BR2q

back to Canada across Haro Strait from San Juan Island

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPL_vgzMGKL6JKxEvW7MPqXHaA3kH5KWFZd6x7x

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMYxo1FvkNOqctl1tRkdg1NN5V29L7fItQHYcC2

iconic….

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipN5MxqtHap5QG9-BZHtdVkjOCIdV2QrMvs9mEE8

THE VIEW

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMdjSxyTClSSo5ECF8_6BRe5tFB4tLLqs49xjWX

the ploy…..fly out to WA ….cab or busso to the dealer who sells a vintage 90 pt bike for a coupla 100. Load bike tour San Juans
.
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMvrUtss_YTiHSSZ28uXK5xYMfoUcNV2Kb73IX_

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipNR9O-Y611HorBMw3IICKdSHE_GfcaK-gxD36nj

my Redline Trekker at the Deschutes RR Trail. The Seagate is in the cargo …maybe roll out the Deschutes Tour

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOKX4CmEx2eaYfF_K13aHQbzc9TLPPVn9lX_AYg

night rider's gear

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMPE39INObsBoju3k6zzgRUYNn2ASaWuYgfE9ao