26" touring tire recommendation

Ralph Barone

Apr 21, 2014, 6:16:16 PM4/21/14
It's about time to replace the 26 x 38/32 WTB Slickasaurus tires on my
Surly LHT and I'm looking for recommendations. The bike is used mostly
for commuting, with some credit card touring thrown in during the
summer. Most riding is on pavement, but I do ride a bit of gravel
roads/trails. I'm currently considering the Schwalbe Marathon family of
tires, as well as the Schwalbe Big Apples, the Tioga City Slicker and
the Slickasaurus. I don't really want to give up any rolling
resistance, but I wouldn't mind more puncture protection. I can
probably go up to a 26 x 2 before clearance becomes an issue. Any
recommendations (especially on differentiating the 9 different subtypes
of Schwalbe Marathons)?

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Apr 21, 2014, 6:28:58 PM4/21/14

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/index.php?category=781

go Conti....Schwalbe's cut too much friction. Schwal's sell thru over feel from overwhelm from overdesign from you too much...some people enjoy this like their nervous systems need over stimulation to feel anything...

on the other foot Conti carry you along with too little but enough as long as you run within specs.

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Apr 21, 2014, 6:38:14 PM4/21/14

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=12928&category=781

80 pounds, minor wet sipes, lugs on sides if you sink in but a negative if your careen down the canyon...steel hoops. guess UC sold the kelvar hoops.

op for a larger front than rear...lug sides on rear....different model on front..maybe a nice ROUND carcass with sipes.

get you in quick but let you know what from the rear.

gotta big LBS wth a major tire wall ?

get medical n go in for a buy.

Ralph Barone

Apr 21, 2014, 7:25:14 PM4/21/14
Thanks Gene. I'll add the Conti Travel Contact to the list.

Andre Jute

Apr 22, 2014, 12:20:57 AM4/22/14
I usually hang out with tourers, so I'm biased by their opinions.

If you don't mind patching the odd flat, until recently the Pasela was thought to be a comfortable fast tyre at a bit narrower than you want to go.

At present, the Marathon Dureme is *the* touring tyre from Schwalbe. It is pretty bulletproof and people get most satisfactory mileages out of them. The Dureme is a great all rounder, about as far as you can go from its cousin the Marathon Plus, which is supremely flat proof and also lasts forever, but is harsh riding (I have a 10% worn pair hanging on a wall).

Myself, I ride the Big Apple Liteskin (with the Type 19A extraleicht "racing" tubes) in the biggest size made 60x622. Mine have over 7000km on them and are just now showing signs of there little tread fading. I've never had a flat, and they are very comfortable. They are almost the lowest rolling resistance tyres you can buy (yes, I know, the usual sneering, jeering RBT street corner idiots won't believe it, but they can go complain to the German technical university who did the research, who'll patronize them as they deserve) and very, very fast, with superb roadholding and handling, just as Jobst and Sheldon predicted. You can read my main encomium to the Schwalbe Big Apple at
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=3798.0

Andre Jute
Counterintuitive? That was yesterday. Today it is second nature.

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Apr 22, 2014, 12:30:27 AM4/22/14

irlandais confiance Allemands contrôlées par les Chinois ?

somebody

Apr 22, 2014, 5:36:20 AM4/22/14
On Mon, 21 Apr 2014 15:16:16 -0700, Ralph Barone <invalid@not_real.ca>
wrote:
We have Marathon+ for daily commuter and tandem. Ride seems OK,
treadwear is good and we haven't had flats with them.

In our area crushed stone (what passes for gravel) tends to have flint
and that cuts up most tires. The Marathon+ has worked well.

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Apr 22, 2014, 8:44:35 AM4/22/14

Ralph, tell us why you began with Schwalbe ....eliminating right off Conti/Pasela/Michelin ?

http://goo.gl/CdjYBQ

posters will whine abt cost...forget the cost. Yawl give us the sensation ur living in trees or in a dirt floor hut with pigs for heat.

forget mileage. Hi mileage tire users live in the trunk of the car ahead. Idiotic.
Companies spend money finding GRIP then yawl buy tires with no grip.

Dan O

Apr 23, 2014, 12:43:46 PM4/23/14
On Monday, April 21, 2014 3:16:16 PM UTC-7, Ralph Barone wrote:
> It's about time to replace the 26 x 38/32 WTB Slickasaurus tires on my
>
> Surly LHT and I'm looking for recommendations. The bike is used mostly
>
> for commuting, with some credit card touring thrown in during the
>
> summer. Most riding is on pavement, but I do ride a bit of gravel
>
> roads/trails. I'm currently considering the Schwalbe Marathon family of
>
> tires, as well as the Schwalbe Big Apples, the Tioga City Slicker...

I have the City Slickers (big fat ones) on my around town bike.
They feel like a soft compound and compliant casing, which might
put them at the higher end for RR.

Also I think they're relatively inexpensive, so if they do fail
far from home I'd ave to kick myself for being cheap.

But they serve me very well for what I use the bike for (short
trips bopping around). They could be good for longer trips -
I don't know 'cause I've never taken this bike very far.

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Apr 23, 2014, 2:00:26 PM4/23/14

Ralph Barone

Apr 25, 2014, 11:44:53 PM4/25/14
I went with the Marathon Plus in a 26 x 1.75. Contrary to popular lore, I
was able to mount them by hand, without using tire irons.

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Apr 26, 2014, 7:35:44 AM4/26/14
front and rear the same tire ?

http://www.marvinbaumann.com/images/marv_v8n_9.jpg

another op for technical excellence fown the ole

ed.to...@gmail.com

Apr 26, 2014, 2:02:27 PM4/26/14
I like the Ritchey Tom Slick 26x1.4. I've flogged it off-road if necessary. Puncture resistance seems okay, although I might get a flat a couple of times a year.
http://www.mec.ca/product/4011-357/ritchey-tom-slick-26-x-1.4-wire-tire/