Competitiveness

Eleanor MacMaster

Jul 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/8/99

Yesterday, as I was locking my bike outside a mall another rider
pulled up and locked his bike next to mine in the rack. He
asked several questions about my Blackburn rack and Mt. Co-Op
panniers. Then he asked: "What are you, an Intermediate?" Not
being into the ratings game, I replied that I did not know, I had
never been tested. He then proceeded to tell me in a boastful
manner that he had ridden "all the way" from two in-the-city
destinations -- a distance of perhaps 5 miles. I resisted the
temptation to let him know that this was not particularly
impressive since he may not have been cycling for very long and
of course SOME riding is better than no riding (besides I would
never want to discourage anyone from participating in any
fitness activity). However.....I did wonder whether he had
concluded that I must be an Intermediate from the fact that I
am a middle-age woman. My suspicion is that I could take him!
--
"Biker Chick"

Eric S. Sande

Jul 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/8/99
>However.....I did wonder whether he had concluded that I must be an
>Intermediate from the fact that I am a middle-age woman. My suspicion
>is that I could take him!

Probably :-). Aat least he didn't call you an "Indeterminant"!

What exactly is an Intermediate?

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________
------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------

Julie A. Polacek

Jul 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/8/99
What a weenie! I was just impressed at your attitude and composure.
I have to confess that I probably would have started laughing
uncontrollably.
Shame on me ;-)

another biker chick

Eleanor MacMaster <bo...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA> wrote in message

> Yesterday, as I was locking my bike outside a mall another rider
> pulled up and locked his bike next to mine in the rack. He
> asked several questions about my Blackburn rack and Mt. Co-Op
> panniers. Then he asked: "What are you, an Intermediate?" Not
> being into the ratings game, I replied that I did not know, I had
> never been tested. He then proceeded to tell me in a boastful
> manner that he had ridden "all the way" from two in-the-city
> destinations -- a distance of perhaps 5 miles. I resisted the
> temptation to let him know that this was not particularly
> impressive since he may not have been cycling for very long and
> of course SOME riding is better than no riding (besides I would
> never want to discourage anyone from participating in any

> fitness activity). However.....I did wonder whether he had

> concluded that I must be an Intermediate from the fact that I
> am a middle-age woman. My suspicion is that I could take him!

> --
> "Biker Chick"

Ken Kifer

Jul 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/8/99
Eleanor MacMaster wrote:
> My suspicion is that I could take him!

Ken Kifer replies:
Well, he still might be faster than you for a short ways, but he would
never go the distance!

--
How should one plan for a touring trip? Is it possible to make
touring bags? Where can a cyclist find free camping?

Oliver

Jul 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/8/99
I would've said, in the most possible broken English, "I don't know Seenior,
I rodd here from Panama."

Al Raden

Jul 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/9/99
Eleanor MacMaster wrote:

> Yesterday, as I was locking my bike outside a mall another rider
> pulled up and locked his bike next to mine in the rack. He
> asked several questions about my Blackburn rack and Mt. Co-Op
> panniers. Then he asked: "What are you, an Intermediate?" Not
> being into the ratings game, I replied that I did not know, I had
> never been tested. He then proceeded to tell me in a boastful
> manner that he had ridden "all the way" from two in-the-city
> destinations -- a distance of perhaps 5 miles. I resisted the
> temptation to let him know that this was not particularly
> impressive since he may not have been cycling for very long and
> of course SOME riding is better than no riding (besides I would
> never want to discourage anyone from participating in any
> fitness activity). However.....I did wonder whether he had
> concluded that I must be an Intermediate from the fact that I
> am a middle-age woman.

Naw, he knew you were an intermediate by your rack.

> My suspicion is that I could take him!

No doubt, but you handled it well. No sense discouraging the poor boy.
Nothing like being outdone by a biker chick to deflate one's
testosterone level.

- al

cathy_...@hotmail.com

Jul 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/9/99
In article <7m3map$d4k$1...@news.udel.edu>,

That's the best reply! I wish I could have thought of it.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Jessica L. Mosher

Jul 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/9/99

Eleanor MacMaster wrote:

> Yesterday, as I was locking my bike outside a mall another rider
> pulled up and locked his bike next to mine in the rack. He
> asked several questions about my Blackburn rack and Mt. Co-Op
> panniers. Then he asked: "What are you, an Intermediate?"

What does THAT mean? Hmmm.

> Not
> being into the ratings game, I replied that I did not know, I had
> never been tested.

Good answer.

> He then proceeded to tell me in a boastful
> manner that he had ridden "all the way" from two in-the-city
> destinations -- a distance of perhaps 5 miles. I resisted the
> temptation to let him know that this was not particularly
> impressive since he may not have been cycling for very long and
> of course SOME riding is better than no riding (besides I would
> never want to discourage anyone from participating in any
> fitness activity). However.....I did wonder whether he had
> concluded that I must be an Intermediate from the fact that I

> am a middle-age woman. My suspicion is that I could take him!

Hee. Whatever an "intermediate" is.

Sometimes guys think we women are just ready to hear all about them. =-)

--
Jessica L. Mosher UniKix Technologies
j.mo...@unikix.com

"At the end of the day, it is our actions, not our beliefs, that define
who we are and what we are." --Unknown

Jessica L. Mosher

Jul 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/9/99

Al Raden wrote:

> No doubt, but you handled it well. No sense discouraging the poor boy.
> Nothing like being outdone by a biker chick to deflate one's
> testosterone level.

BWAH HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

Cool--I have a new hobby for after a bad day: terrorizing "poor boys"
by outdoing them. So it deflates testosterone levels? That's it, I'm
racing with the men from now on!

;-) (strictly tongue-in-cheek)

Rick Arnoldy

Jul 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/9/99

Eleanor MacMaster <bo...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA> wrote in message He then

proceeded to tell me in a boastful
> manner that he had ridden "all the way" from two in-the-city
> destinations -- a distance of perhaps 5 miles. I resisted the
> temptation to let him know that this was not particularly
> impressive since he may not have been cycling for very long and
> of course SOME riding is better than no riding (besides I would
> never want to discourage anyone from participating in any
> fitness activity).

I've run in to that a few times. It takes some restraint to not boast that
you've already put in ten times that amount and your still not done riding
for the day. My typical response is "good for you!" and I don't say how
much I've ridden. I don't want to discourage someone into getting off the
bike and back into the SUV. Let him feel good about what he's done and
he'll eventually be riding more.

sims...@yahoo.com

Jul 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/10/99
bo...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Eleanor MacMaster) wrote:

> Yesterday, as I was locking my bike outside a mall another rider
> pulled up and locked his bike next to mine in the rack. He
> asked several questions about my Blackburn rack and Mt. Co-Op
> panniers. Then he asked: "What are you, an Intermediate?" Not

> being into the ratings game, I replied that I did not know, I had
> never been tested. He then proceeded to tell me in a boastful

> manner that he had ridden "all the way" from two in-the-city
> destinations -- a distance of perhaps 5 miles. I resisted the
> temptation to let him know that this was not particularly
> impressive since he may not have been cycling for very long and
> of course SOME riding is better than no riding (besides I would
> never want to discourage anyone from participating in any
> fitness activity). However.....I did wonder whether he had
> concluded that I must be an Intermediate from the fact that I
> am a middle-age woman. My suspicion is that I could take him!
> --
> "Biker Chick"

Silly fella. Once he learns more about cycling, he'll realize how much
his ignorance shows. That's a testosterone-buster.

I've been in my own insert-foot-in-mouth situations. If someone
corrects me immediately, I'm usually grateful. If not, and I find out
later just how inane my comments were, it's incredibly mortifying. But
that's just me.

Sim

woodelf

Jul 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/10/99
In article <37868942...@unikix.com>, "Jessica L. Mosher"
<j.mo...@unikix.com> wrote:

> Al Raden wrote:
> >
> > No doubt, but you handled it well. No sense discouraging the poor boy.
> > Nothing like being outdone by a biker chick to deflate one's
> > testosterone level.
>
> BWAH HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!
>
> Cool--I have a new hobby for after a bad day: terrorizing "poor boys"
> by outdoing them. So it deflates testosterone levels? That's it, I'm
> racing with the men from now on!
>
> ;-) (strictly tongue-in-cheek)

hey, anything that lowers the testosterone levels in this world is a Good
Thing. or, to quote one of my favorite TV characters, "Worst case of
testosterone poisoning I've ever seen." [just remember that some of the
women need to lower them, too.]

----sorry for typos; i'm switching to dvorak keyboard----

woodelf <*>
woo...@rpg.net
http://www.upl.cs.wisc.edu/~woodelf/

I did not realize that similarity was required for the exercise of
compassion. --Delenn

Kearney, K. J. (Keith)

Jul 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/14/99
Why has this become an anti-testosterone issue?
I've been in races and tours where the women are
just as bad as the men.
People get some miles under their belt and think
that their Saturday morning, 15 mile ride, that
takes them 2 hours, is the Tour de France.
Don't judge an athlete by what he wears, rides,
or how old they are. That man or woman just might
kick your ass! I've been beaten by plenty of
people older than myself.

woodelf

Jul 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/14/99
In article <378CCE0...@mail.ford.com>, "Kearney, K. J. (Keith)"
<kkea...@mail.ford.com> wrote:

> Why has this become an anti-testosterone issue?
> I've been in races and tours where the women are
> just as bad as the men.

and in popular parlance, if not medical fact, they are seen to have too
much testosterone, too. anti-testosterone isn't just anti-male, it's
speaking against a stereotype of maleness and the traits associated with
it, which men and women can exhibit.

Jack Dingler

Jul 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/15/99

sims...@yahoo.com wrote:

> <snip>

> I've been in my own insert-foot-in-mouth situations. If someone
> corrects me immediately, I'm usually grateful. If not, and I find out
> later just how inane my comments were, it's incredibly mortifying. But
> that's just me.

I've never done that today, yet.

Jack Dingler

Daniel Shea

Jul 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/16/99
The best thing to do is go underground. I've traded in my lycra and look
shoes for a pair of Vans with recessed cleats and white Jockey cotton
T-shirts that fit tight, couple with my TJ-Max shorts I picked up for
12.99, I now look the part of the unitiated.

I have a new ideology, I make myself look like the unitiated and just
ride. It allows you to focus on your ride and not worry about keeping up
the Joneses.

Now, if I could only find a way to disguise my rather flamboyant Pinarello
to look like a Huffy!!!! =)

Dan
--
Dan Shea

"Suffering is the sole origin of consciousness." - Dostoevsky

Mr-Sp...@webtv.net

Jul 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/16/99
All in all, competition is probably a good thing. It's motivated many to
accomplish great things, some of which have benefited all of us. The
thing is, since I seem to have to compete for everything from a parking
space to how I earn a living, most of the time I resist the competitive
urges. Riding my bike is my time to center in the present moment. I
don't want drawn in to someone else"s experience, I want my own. I flow
at my own pace, and open myself to anyone who wants to join
me...........

Iyam Nobody

Jul 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/17/99
In article <7mnu4n$csq$1...@news.monmouth.com>,

ds...@shell.monmouth.com (Daniel Shea) wrote:
>The best thing to do is go underground. I've traded in my lycra and look
>shoes for a pair of Vans with recessed cleats and white Jockey cotton
>T-shirts that fit tight, couple with my TJ-Max shorts I picked up for
>12.99, I now look the part of the unitiated.

I agree with your philosophy here. I used to race but now I'm somewhat
annoyed by the whole status/image thing. I was already doing the
cotton T-shirt but I think I'd have a hard time giving up lycra shorts.
The times I have ridden without them I got chafed and generally was a
bit uncomfortable.

>I have a new ideology, I make myself look like the unitiated and just
>ride. It allows you to focus on your ride and not worry about keeping up
>the Joneses.
>
>Now, if I could only find a way to disguise my rather flamboyant Pinarello
>to look like a Huffy!!!! =)

I removed all the labels from my ti frame. I saw someone once who had
removed all the paint from his aluminum frame. I thought it looked
nice.

Mark
mark at
tucker dot net

isk...@gmail.com

Jul 17, 2017, 10:09:07 PM7/17/17
On Thursday, July 8, 1999 at 1:00:00 AM UTC-6, Eleanor MacMaster wrote:
> Yesterday, as I was locking my bike outside a mall another rider
> pulled up and locked his bike next to mine in the rack. He
> asked several questions about my Blackburn rack and Mt. Co-Op
> panniers. Then he asked: "What are you, an Intermediate?" Not
> being into the ratings game, I replied that I did not know, I had
> never been tested. He then proceeded to tell me in a boastful
> manner that he had ridden "all the way" from two in-the-city
> destinations -- a distance of perhaps 5 miles. I resisted the
> temptation to let him know that this was not particularly
> impressive since he may not have been cycling for very long and
> of course SOME riding is better than no riding (besides I would
> never want to discourage anyone from participating in any
> fitness activity). However.....I did wonder whether he had
> concluded that I must be an Intermediate from the fact that I
> am a middle-age woman. My suspicion is that I could take him!
> --
> "Biker Chick"

Eleanor, this is Steve; contact me at si...@yahoo.ca

ab.ch...@rogers.com

Jul 18, 2017, 6:57:09 AM7/18/17
Steve, you're responding to an 18-year-old thread.
--
Andrew Chaplin

mac

Jul 28, 2017, 12:08:26 AM7/28/17
> Steve, you're responding to an 18-year-old thread.

Perhaps he's now ready to take her on

cycl...@gmail.com

Aug 25, 2017, 3:53:56 PM8/25/17
All the time people ask me how far I've ridden and when I say "only 20 miles their eyes bug out." I usually don't have the heart to tell them that I'm only 1/3 or 1/2 the way.