Closing Indian Reservations to cars

Jan 25, 2016, 11:39:35 AM1/25/16
I think it would be a great idea. The car is a symbol of the white man and his exploitation system. Yeah, I think the car is a racket, not a convenience or a symbol of freedom. The horse and the bicycle are a symbol of freedom. You want to be a big chief?

http://www.zazzle.com/big_chief_round_pendant_necklace-177430942197189002?rf=238111090634717809

The Indians are dying young of white man disease, namely obesity and diabetes, depression, alcoholism and junk food. The horse and the bicycle are the perfect vehicles of liberation.

I know, I know, you may say I'm a dreamer...

http://www.zazzle.com/big_dreamer_round_pendant_necklace-177005846503495639?rf=238111090634717809

"The jungle has never been this much fun!"

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nffbCR_uCZ6znjf3gLiFRXSAoLzhWtoZ6U4S7Y37aKc/edit?usp=sharing

Jan 25, 2016, 3:40:06 PM1/25/16
(I say it's the bicycle, but let's not fool ourselves. Sometimes it's too much struggle. The car is never the vehicle of liberation. Multimodal transportation mode is best.)

On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 3:02:10 PM UTC-5, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
> Per Wise TibetanMonkey, Most Humble Philosopher:
> >I think it would be a great idea. The car is a symbol of the white man and his
> >exploitation system. Yeah, I think the car is a racket, not a convenience or a
> >symbol of freedom. The horse and the bicycle are a symbol of freedom.
>
> Close family friend was a civil engineer for the Shanghai city
> government back when Shanghai had to make some decisions about
> transportation infrastructure development - because automobile use was
> rapidly expanding.
>
> Among the presenters was an outfit from Australia whose theme was that
> Shanghai already had a huge base of people who used bicycles as their
> main form of transportation and that they should not seek to accommodate
> motor vehicles. Instead, they should concentrate on further
> bicycle-oriented development.
>
> During most of the presentation, one of the very senior engineers could
> be heard muttering in Mandarin. The Aussies understood only English.
>
> At the very end, he shouted out something.
>
> After it was all over, one of the Aussies asked somebody bilingual to
> tell them what the older engineer was said.
>
> What he said was "You guys are sooooo full of shit!....Have you *ever*
> had to go *everywhere* on a bicycle?"
> --
> Pete Cresswell

I'm not surprised that the Chinese --of all people-- want to get rid of the bicycle as a symbol of repression. They are also struggling with gigantic traffic jams and polluted air.

Taiwan uses the scooter as a smarter option. Take into account that in the mountains the bicycle can become too much struggle.

Jan 25, 2016, 5:20:21 PM1/25/16
On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 4:02:01 PM UTC-5, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
> Per Wise TibetanMonkey, Most Humble Philosopher:
> >Taiwan uses the scooter as a smarter option.
>
> It was a few years ago, but I heard that the PRC government was trying
> to discourage the use of electric scooters because the spent lead/acid
> batteries were becoming a pollution problem.
> --
> Pete Cresswell

A regular scooter can get you as much as 80mpg but I don't know how polluting they can be. Funny I've seen some scooters in the bike facilities in Holland, but it seems the Dutch rather ride a bike. Smart people.

Florida is perfect for bicycling but somehow it doesn't happen. Bike facilities are dysfunctional. They don't connect and leave you exposed, you know.

Today I just brought a gallon of milk, mostly for the exercise. I did some 5 miles, and I feel much better than before.

Free Spirit, Chief of Quixotic Enterprises

Jan 25, 2016, 7:11:38 PM1/25/16
On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 3:59:53 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
> On 1/25/2016 2:02 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
> > Per Wise TibetanMonkey, Most Humble Philosopher:
> >> I think it would be a great idea. The car is a symbol of the white man and his
> >> exploitation system. Yeah, I think the car is a racket, not a convenience or a
> >> symbol of freedom. The horse and the bicycle are a symbol of freedom.
> >
> > Close family friend was a civil engineer for the Shanghai city
> > government back when Shanghai had to make some decisions about
> > transportation infrastructure development - because automobile use was
> > rapidly expanding.
> >
> > Among the presenters was an outfit from Australia whose theme was that
> > Shanghai already had a huge base of people who used bicycles as their
> > main form of transportation and that they should not seek to accommodate
> > motor vehicles. Instead, they should concentrate on further
> > bicycle-oriented development.
> >
> > During most of the presentation, one of the very senior engineers could
> > be heard muttering in Mandarin. The Aussies understood only English.
> >
> > At the very end, he shouted out something.
> >
> > After it was all over, one of the Aussies asked somebody bilingual to
> > tell them what the older engineer was said.
> >
> > What he said was "You guys are sooooo full of shit!....Have you *ever*
> > had to go *everywhere* on a bicycle?"
> >

> The only people I know who live on a reservation would be
> severely diminished and possibly lethal risk just in normal
> daily routines without a pickup truck. There's no IRT/BMT
> and necessary distances are great with precious little in
> between.

The natives living in Pine Ridge have a much lower life expectancy than Cubans. There must be a solution besides communism.

The lifestyle we imposed on them is particularly dysfunctional. They live in a large "gated community" of sorts. Make everything possible within the community. Make the bike the vehicle of choice.

We removed the big chief and nobody's responsible now. Democracy may not be a solution for all. It's good for the Netherlands.

Jan 25, 2016, 11:27:20 PM1/25/16
On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 7:50:54 PM UTC-5, John B. wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jan 2016 15:02:05 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)" <x...@y.Invalid>
> wrote:
>
> >Per Wise TibetanMonkey, Most Humble Philosopher:
> >>I think it would be a great idea. The car is a symbol of the white man and his
> >>exploitation system. Yeah, I think the car is a racket, not a convenience or a
> >>symbol of freedom. The horse and the bicycle are a symbol of freedom.
> >
> >Close family friend was a civil engineer for the Shanghai city
> >government back when Shanghai had to make some decisions about
> >transportation infrastructure development - because automobile use was
> >rapidly expanding.
> >
> >Among the presenters was an outfit from Australia whose theme was that
> >Shanghai already had a huge base of people who used bicycles as their
> >main form of transportation and that they should not seek to accommodate
> >motor vehicles. Instead, they should concentrate on further
> >bicycle-oriented development.
> >
> >During most of the presentation, one of the very senior engineers could
> >be heard muttering in Mandarin. The Aussies understood only English.
> >
> >At the very end, he shouted out something.
> >
> >After it was all over, one of the Aussies asked somebody bilingual to
> >tell them what the older engineer was said.
> >
> >What he said was "You guys are sooooo full of shit!....Have you *ever*
> >had to go *everywhere* on a bicycle?"
>
> I've lived in a number of developing countries and invariably the
> transportation cycle parallels the economic conditions in the country.
> As the population grows from basic subsistence farming they buy a
> bicycle. A little more money accrues and they buy a 100 c.c.
> motorcycle. Then times get better and a pickup or auto joins the
> family transportation scheme.
>
> Finally, when the family becomes affluent the younger members may buy
> a horrendously expensive bicycle together with the (also expensive)
> special clothing and accessories and on days when the weather is
> favorable go on "bicycle rides".
>
> I first observed this in Japan in the early 1950's (after Japan had
> been reduced to the status of a developing country) and most recently
> in various South East Asian countries. And from reading history it
> appears that it was the same in most of the European countries
> although in the U.S. I believe (without much study) that the initial
> growth in cycling was the results of the more affluent taking up the
> sport.
>
> --
>
> Cheers,
>
> John B.

Very simple logic. But somehow the northern European countries don't fit the mold. They are not unhappy with the bike. Actually they are judged "affluent and happy" by international standards.

I guess they are happy if they have the option to ride bicycle or enjoy first class public transportation as opposed to the Chinese and Hindus sitting in endless traffic jams. Somehow the European elites don't dismiss the bicycle as being vehicles for the losers and misfits.

I want to point out that these signals come from the top as well as advertising. They don't have SUVs being flashed in their face 24/7. They probably find the idea of big fat SUVs ridiculous.

In Japan bicycle use seems to be widespread and in style as well, though they lack proper bike facilities. Again, I think it's the elites that give these signals. I don't find the idea of driving a Mercedes and riding a bicycle across town incompatible. In Copenhagen the bike culture seems to be chic and trendy.

http://velorbis.com/product-category/men/gents-bicycles/