Liberal Lance Armstrong's Ugly Detour From Redemption

bryant

Feb 17, 2015, 12:25:03 AM2/17/15
Lance Armstrong once told me that it would take maybe six months
to a year for him to rebuild his reputation after he admitted
lying to the world about his drug use.

He said his plan was to keep a low profile and quietly earn back
public trust, partly by apologizing to the people he had stepped
on or, in some cases, tried to destroy.

Armstrong, who in 2012 was stripped of his seven Tour de France
titles for doping, seemed proud of his blueprint to restore his
image. He said it would show that he was a good person who had
been forced to dope because everyone else was doing it.

The plan might have worked — if he had bothered to follow it.

How do I know he is not following it? A court filing on Monday
in Dallas revealed $10 million worth of proof.

In the filing, the Dallas-based insurance company SCA
Promotions, which gave Armstrong millions of dollars in bonuses
for several of his Tour victories, asked a Texas state judge to
force him to pay SCA $10 million. The company wants the judge to
confirm an arbitration panel’s decision, made on Feb. 4 but
announced on Monday, that Armstrong must pay the $10 million
because he lied under oath in a previous arbitration involving
SCA.

“Perjury must never be profitable,” the panel said, explaining
that the case had presented “an unparalleled pageant of
international perjury, fraud and conspiracy” on Armstrong’s part.

The panel added that “it is almost certainly the most devious
sustained deception ever perpetrated in world sporting history”
and that “deception demands real, meaningful sanctions.”

I’d say $10 million is pretty real and meaningful, especially
for Armstrong, whose wallet is getting lighter and lighter with
each lawsuit he loses because of his decade-plus of doping and
lying. And the payouts may keep coming.

“This is just a very good start to getting SCA full
compensation,” said Jeff Tillotson, the lawyer for SCA. “Oh, no,
we’re not finished with Mr. Armstrong yet.”

SCA is confident that the Texas court will rule that Armstrong
must pay the $10 million. But it has also sued Armstrong in
Texas civil court to see whether it can get an additional $5
million to $10 million back from him.

No matter how big the paycheck for SCA, this looks to be a sweet
ending to a story that began in 2004, when Armstrong took his
first swipe at the company. That was the year he sued SCA to get
a $5 million bonus that SCA had withheld after its founder, Bob
Hamman, read accusations of Armstrong’s doping. Armstrong and
his management company, Tailwind Sports, were ruthless in their
response. Tailwind placed a full-page ad in Sports Business
Journal questioning SCA’s credibility, and SCA said it had lost
customers because of it.

It was a battle that started ugly and, for years, stayed ugly.

By 2004, Hamman — a 12-time world bridge champion — had already
paid Armstrong a $1.5 million bonus for his 2002 Tour victory
and a $3 million bonus for winning the 2003 Tour.

But before SCA forked over $5 million for Armstrong’s 2004
title, Hamman wanted proof that he was clean. So Armstrong sued.
During arbitration, he testified that he would never dope. The
case ended in 2006, with arbitrators awarding $7.5 million to
Armstrong. It didn’t matter whether he had doped — SCA still had
to pay the $5 million bonus, plus $2.5 million in fees, because
Armstrong remained the official Tour winner and had a right to
the money.

Hamman wouldn’t let it go. He made another push at getting his
money back in 2013 after Armstrong was stripped of his Tour
titles and subsequently admitted to doping. Hamman brought the
case back to arbitrators, asking them to reconsider their
decision because Armstrong had committed perjury when he lied to
them about his doping in the first lawsuit.

Was it then that the new and improved Armstrong, the softer one
who admits his wrongs, stepped forward to say, My bad? Did he
apologize to Hamman and to give back SCA’s millions?

No, it was typical Armstrong. He said: Too bad. A settlement (in
2006) is a settlement.

How’s that for contrition? Armstrong was so sorry about lying
and taking millions of SCA’s bonus dollars that he kept the cash
he had won because he doped — and then forced SCA to sue him to
get that money back.

It all shows that Armstrong might have started out on a road to
redemption two years ago, but that he took an early exit.

Truth is still not part of his daily vocabulary. This month,
Armstrong received two traffic tickets in Aspen, Colo., on
charges that he hit two parked cars and left the scene of an
accident. But that was only after his girlfriend, Anna Hansen,
had gotten those tickets. She initially told the police that she
was driving on the night of the hit-and-run because Armstrong
had been drinking, but she later admitted that she had lied
because she didn’t want his name in the news.

So Armstrong’s great blueprint of winning back the public — tell
the truth and reveal your goodness — wasn’t so great after all.
After two years, has it faded so much that he can no longer make
out the words? He continues to lie, and even had his girlfriend
lie for him. And he is still fighting some of those people he
tried to crush, like Hamman.

Last month, Armstrong told the BBC that he would dope again if
he were back in his early career and his competitors were doing
it, too.

That’s not the mark of a changed man. That’s the mark of a man
who lacks self-perception. He remains so stubborn, so unwilling
to admit failure, but no wonder. Those are two of the qualities
that led him to be a champion.

Now his competition is more daunting. He could lose more than
$100 million in a federal whistle-blower case in which the
United States Postal Service contends that Armstrong defrauded
it when it was sponsoring Armstrong’s team and demanded in its
contract that Armstrong not dope. Armstrong could have settled
that case many times, but he has refused because he still thinks
he can win it.

The same way he thought he could beat SCA?

Tillotson, SCA’s lawyer, said Armstrong had offered money to SCA
several times to settle the case, but nowhere near the $14.5
million-plus that Hamman had dished out in the matter over the
years. That’s why Hamman is not backing down.

In going up against Hamman, who is 76, white-haired and stocky,
Armstrong underestimated his competition. Hamman is, after all,
perhaps one of the greatest bridge players ever. How did a
champion like that celebrate winning $10 million from Armstrong?

“I didn’t do anything, really,” he said. “I just planned my next
move.”

Hamman is someone who has carefully followed a blueprint of his
own, without wavering from it, and has found success and
happiness because of it.

Armstrong should follow suit.

Email: jul...@nytimes.com

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/17/sports/cycling/lance-
armstrongs-ugly-detour-from-redemption.html

Mr Pounder

Feb 20, 2015, 11:02:21 AM2/20/15

"bryant" <bry...@msn.com> wrote in message
> Lance Armstrong once told me that it would take maybe six months
> to a year for him to rebuild his reputation after he admitted
> lying to the world about his drug use.
>
> All riders of child's toys are wankers.

Gunner Asch

Feb 21, 2015, 4:19:49 PM2/21/15
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX4fCTO44Ic

PJ O'Rourke

Mr Pounder

Feb 22, 2015, 10:45:40 AM2/22/15

"Gunner Asch" <gunne...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 20 Feb 2015 16:02:01 -0000, "Mr Pounder"
> <MrPo...@RationalThought.com> wrote:
>

>>"bryant" <bry...@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> Lance Armstrong once told me that it would take maybe six months
>>> to a year for him to rebuild his reputation after he admitted
>>> lying to the world about his drug use.
>>>
>>> All riders of child's toys are wankers.
>>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX4fCTO44Ic

Thank you for the confirmation.

Gunner Asch

Feb 22, 2015, 3:34:50 PM2/22/15
On Sun, 22 Feb 2015 15:45:35 -0000, "Mr Pounder"
<MrPo...@RationalThought.com> wrote:

>"Gunner Asch" <gunne...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 20 Feb 2015 16:02:01 -0000, "Mr Pounder"
>> <MrPo...@RationalThought.com> wrote:
>>

>>>"bryant" <bry...@msn.com> wrote in message

>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX4fCTO44Ic
>
>Thank you for the confirmation.

Thank you for showing your opinion is that of a sour old blowhard
with no love of life

saneearth

Feb 22, 2015, 5:57:59 PM2/22/15
Funny how "everything" some folks find distasteful is attributed to
"Libaralism". As for the quote, the author is giving a very good
description of himself. There are "spoiled children" that spout forth
all sorts of quotes and O'Rourke is just another in the bunch.

Mr Pounder

Feb 23, 2015, 9:57:40 AM2/23/15

> On Sun, 22 Feb 2015 15:45:35 -0000, "Mr Pounder"
> <MrPo...@RationalThought.com> wrote:
>

>>"Gunner Asch" <gunne...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX4fCTO44Ic
>>
>>Thank you for the confirmation.
>>
> Thank you for showing your opinion is that of a sour old blowhard
> with no love of life

Thank you for proving to me that you, as in all cyclists, are just plain
stupid.

Gunner Asch

Feb 23, 2015, 3:23:44 PM2/23/15
On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 14:57:33 -0000, "Mr Pounder"
<MrPo...@RationalThought.com> wrote:

>"Gunner Asch" <gunne...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 22 Feb 2015 15:45:35 -0000, "Mr Pounder"
>> <MrPo...@RationalThought.com> wrote:
>>

>>>"Gunner Asch" <gunne...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>>Thank you for the confirmation.
>>>
>> Thank you for showing your opinion is that of a sour old blowhard
>> with no love of life
>
>Thank you for proving to me that you, as in all cyclists, are just plain
>stupid.

Cyclists? Which "cycle" do I ride? Hummm?

ROFLMAO!!...what a wanker you are turning out to be...

Mr Pounder

Feb 23, 2015, 4:15:39 PM2/23/15

> On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 14:57:33 -0000, "Mr Pounder"
> <MrPo...@RationalThought.com> wrote:
>

>>"Gunner Asch" <gunne...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Thank you for showing your opinion is that of a sour old blowhard
>>> with no love of life
>>
>>Thank you for proving to me that you, as in all cyclists, are just plain
>>stupid.
>>
> Cyclists? Which "cycle" do I ride? Hummm?
>
> ROFLMAO!!...what a wanker you are turning out to be...

There are two types of people that post to a cycling group. Wanker cyclists
and those that try to cure them.
You are the wanker cyclist, I am your cure.
You don't come across as being very bright.
Are you very bright?
[ ]

Gunner Asch

Feb 23, 2015, 5:27:28 PM2/23/15
On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 21:15:34 -0000, "Mr Pounder"
You are a mental case with delusions of grandure. Probably vote Green
dont you?

>You don't come across as being very bright.
>Are you very bright?

Smarter than you by an order of magnitude. Ever built a bike from raw
stock?
I have. Both motorcycles and a bicycle. Well to be fair...I dont
know what happened tothe bicycle. I traded it off to a transexual from
the Bay area who wanted to use it while wearing a bikini and
accosting men.

Say...you dont ride a clone of a StingRay built out of stainless steel
tubing...do you? Geeze..that would make you about 80 yrs old by now.

Dude...wear an overcoat or something...geeze!!! Thats got to be a
grim sight....brrrrrrrr....

>[ ]

Odd..Im posting on rec.crafts.metalworking.

I take it then that you are one of the fluff heads posting from
alt.gossip.celebrities then?

Hummm?

"I am your cure"

Snicker...laugh...ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunner, taking a break from fiberglassing the converted rudder on his
latest restoration.

Byke...@bike.com

Mar 4, 2015, 3:07:09 PM3/4/15
On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 21:15:34 -0000, "Mr Pounder"
I wonder...
Are you under the impression that anyone cares that you hate cyclists,
especially considering that you can't do anything about it but whine?