What Class of Bike; Terminology ?

Bob

Apr 26, 2015, 5:34:05 PM4/26/15

Want to help son in picking out a bike.

What is the proper terminology for the class of bike we would be
interested in:

Mainly used on roads, but "some" light usage where it would not be
very smooth. e.g., rougher roads and streets, curbs, perhaps a little
"off-road".

Is it a Hybrid model we should be looking at ?

Any particular type/model of tires best for this "mixed" type of use ?

Thanks,
Bob

---

Andrew Chaplin

Apr 28, 2015, 7:36:44 AM4/28/15
Bob <rgs...@notme.invalid> wrote in news:mhjlif$eoa$1...@dont-email.me:

> Want to help son in picking out a bike.
>
> What is the proper terminology for the class of bike we would be
> interested in:
>
> Mainly used on roads, but "some" light usage where it would not be
> very smooth. e.g., rougher roads and streets, curbs, perhaps a little
> "off-road".
>
> Is it a Hybrid model we should be looking at ?
>
> Any particular type/model of tires best for this "mixed" type of use ?

Sounds to me as if you might need a hardtail mountain bike if the going is
at all difficult, otherwise you could make do with a hybrid. If it were my
choice, I'd go cyclocross, since I want light weight and low rolling
resistance when on pavement, but they can be pricy.

I suggest that you surf a few specialty sites and see if you can pick out
what would do, e.g.: <http://www.mec.ca/shop/cycling-bikes/50002+50013/>.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO